Splitcoaststampers

Splitcoaststampers (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/)
-   Virtual Stamp Night Archive (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/virtual-stamp-night-archive-327/)
-   -   Game Night VSN Chat Thread!! (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/virtual-stamp-night-archive-327/game-night-vsn-chat-thread-621212/)

berlycece 11-15-2017 06:57 PM

Game Night VSN Chat Thread!!

Hey friends!!

Are you ready? We will post some previews in just a couple of days.

Let us know you're here...chat a bit...tell us about your favorite games!

LuvLee 11-16-2017 08:56 AM

http://understandblue.blogs.splitcoa...Game-Night.png

LOOOOOK at the blinkie Lydia designed for us!!!!

Feel free to use it!!!

LizBeth1976 11-16-2017 09:22 AM

Sigh...wish I could play along this weekend, but I just have waaayyyyy toooo many things on my calendar! I will try to pop in and see what everyone else is creating.....have fun!!

LuvLee 11-16-2017 09:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LizBeth1976 (Post 21568331)
Sigh...wish I could play along this weekend, but I just have waaayyyyy toooo many things on my calendar! I will try to pop in and see what everyone else is creating.....have fun!!

Thanks!! And you do have a full week to play along if that helps! :D

gwendolyn46 11-16-2017 06:03 PM

Looking forward to the VSN mini challenges! Did anyone play the board game Park and Shop when they were a kid?

berlycece 11-16-2017 06:22 PM

I'm not familiar with that one, Gwen. How's it played?

DCinkit 11-16-2017 06:45 PM

Park & shop sounds like a game I play now! No, I didn't play that one when I was a kid.

gwendolyn46 11-16-2017 06:50 PM

The board is made up of city blocks of shops. You pick about 7 cards of stores you have to go to and you have to plan your route. Then you roll dice to move your car from your home to a parking lot, then you walk your little person down the streets. Of course there are "detours" or extra stops or traffic tickets to make it more interesting. To this day I plan my errands in this manner, making the best route to accomplish them!

gwendolyn46 11-16-2017 06:56 PM

Tried to post a pic of the board but it won't load. Here is a link: http://tracystoys.blogspot.com/2011/...shop-game.html

LuvLee 11-16-2017 07:05 PM

Clarification: For this PRE VSN you can play along all the way until the Main VSN starts!!!

DCinkit 11-17-2017 04:52 AM

Gwen,

It looks like an interesting game. It has an interesting history. Do you still have yours?

gwendolyn46 11-17-2017 07:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DCinkit (Post 21568786)
Gwen,

It looks like an interesting game. It has an interesting history. Do you still have yours?

I don�t know where the actual game is that we had when I was a kid, but DD2 and I found one on Amazon or eBay or somewhere so I do have one, yes! And we still love to play it, LOL!

DCinkit 11-17-2017 08:20 AM

Awesome! I'll have to keep an eye out for that one.

cnsteele 11-17-2017 11:46 AM

Gwen, that game sounds similar to one my friend and I made up for fun back in 5th grade (that was in 1985). We called it Shopping Spree and the object was to make your way through each of 6 stores and still have at least $1 left at the end. Each store was its own mini board, everyone started with a specific amount of money, and a roll of the die determined how you moved between and within stores. We made it,out of construction paper. Your childhood game sounds like something I would have loved to play!

My daughters and I LOVE board games. We play a ton of them in the summer - Rummikub, Sushi Go, Ticket To Ride, Life, Monopoly, Phase 10, everything!! We play Scrabble on Sundays when we visit my grandmother (she loves that game, too).

berlycece 11-17-2017 12:32 PM

In the years my husband and I did foster parenting, we played a lot of board games. Most of our kids had no experience with them due to extreme poverty or dysfunction. Every Christmas we had several games wrapped under the tree to add to the collection.

I remember one Christmas, we bought Pay Day, and the kids played it throughout their entire school break! We joked about it...you have to take out a lot of loans in the beginning to buy businesses. We told the kids, "Don't manage your money like this in real life!" :lol:

We also played LIFE quite a bit, and it was always fun to see the kids "build" their careers and families. ;)

Yahtzee was another favorite, and we still play it when e visit my mom. I swear she has amazing luck in that game. She is our family's Yahtzee Queen!

cnsteele 11-17-2017 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by berlycece (Post 21569064)
In the years my husband and I did foster parenting, we played a lot of board games. Most of our kids had no experience with them due to extreme poverty or dysfunction. Every Christmas we had several games wrapped under the tree to add to the collection.

I remember one Christmas, we bought Pay Day, and the kids played it throughout their entire school break! We joked about it...you have to take out a lot of loans in the beginning to buy businesses. We told the kids, "Don't manage your money like this in real life!" :lol:

We also played LIFE quite a bit, and it was always fun to see the kids "build" their careers and families. ;)

Yahtzee was another favorite, and we still play it when e visit my mom. I swear she has amazing luck in that game. She is our family's Yahtzee Queen!

I bet those kids have amazing memories of the time spent playing board games. It really is a good time and those games teach so much without kids even realizing it. I credit my youngest daughter's amazing recall to the endless games of Memory we played when she was very small (and I was never a parent to let my kids win - they had to actually win!)

I forgot about Yahtzee. We play that at my parents' camp. I once got 4 Yahtzees in a single game! I should have played the lottery that day LOL!

berlycece 11-17-2017 02:00 PM

And we're LIVE!!!

https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/f...t-t621243.html

gwendolyn46 11-17-2017 02:59 PM

Yahtzee�played endless amounts of this with my cousins. My parents are 87 and 85 and they played Scrabble weekly until a few years ago. Now they play Rummikub and Qwirkle weekly with my sister and bil.

LuvLee 11-17-2017 03:11 PM

I can't just choose ONE of those!!! LOL

berlycece 11-17-2017 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LuvLee (Post 21569157)
I can't just choose ONE of those!!! LOL

I think I should edit for multiple choice! I actually wanted to pick more, too!

:lol:

berlycece 11-17-2017 03:24 PM

AAawww nuts...I don't think I can change the poll.

Pick ONE, just for fun!!

Maybe after it expires, I can add a new one.

LuvLee 11-17-2017 03:27 PM

Since my game playing is pretty even and enjoyable for all the above choices I'll go with stamping! LOL

gwendolyn46 11-17-2017 04:53 PM

I didn�t see the first challenge somehow so I have #2 and #3 done. Now have to go find a dragon!!

berlycece 11-17-2017 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gwendolyn46 (Post 21569224)
I didn�t see the first challenge somehow so I have #2 and #3 done. Now have to go find a dragon!!

The master thread shows the dragon as #1, but it really is #3. Lee set up the Master thread, so I think her challenge just showed up there.

But either way...it's great to have you play along!

Be sure to double check your keywords!

gwendolyn46 11-17-2017 05:01 PM

Ok, that makes sense! I thought I was losing it here lol!

mamaxsix 11-17-2017 06:04 PM

We played a ton of games as a kid. Monopoly, Careers, Yahtzee, Probe, Dominos, Scrabble, Racko, etc We have also been big on games with our own family: Uno, Skipbo, Life and more recently Settlers of Catan. Two games from my childhood that I wish I could find are Pro Draft (which was a paper version of Fantasy Football and Landslide which used the electoral college system to win the nomination. It was a great way to learn and as a homeschooling mom I would love to use it to teach my own kids.

LuvLee 11-17-2017 06:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gwendolyn46 (Post 21569224)

With the mini we didn't post them in a way we usually do for the big VSN nights so because they automatically post chronologically that's the way they show up in the Thread. The main vsn challenges will all show up in order so it will be less confusing! ;)

smadson 11-17-2017 06:34 PM

Well, I got Misti's challenge done. I will try to do the other two tomorrow. I just had the perfect items laying on my craft area for hers. :) I hadn't planned on being gone all day today, but was, so that put a kink my crafting tonight.
Thanks hostesses! :)

berlycece 11-17-2017 07:03 PM

So many fun projects!!

Just a reminder...anyone who finishes all 3 previews before the main event on December 8th is on their way to a possible prize!

You also have to finish all of the main challenges. It's our version of a Yeti.

shorter... :p like me!

Keep 'em coming!!

Now, I have to finish getting ready for a road trip to see my mom! I'll be gallery gazing on the road!

scrapaholic007 11-17-2017 07:06 PM

I was out all afternoon and early evening, I'm just now peeking in to see what the challenges are. It's only 8pm here, I have a warn egg nog latte and I'm ready to play!!

Hawaiian 11-18-2017 03:03 AM

Everyone’s in bed and now I finally got to play at least 2 of the challenge and waiting on a email to do my other hour limit card but since it’s 2am I probably won’t get to it this morning lol being on grandson, puppies and dog watch has really got me tired but I so needed to put what I had been antsing all day and night to put on paper .lol now to find the threads for these 3 I have if I wasn’t so crossed eyed atm lol

cnsteele 11-18-2017 06:38 AM

Gail, how is Settlers of Catan? I am going back and forth on buying it. What kinds of games would you compare it to (i.e. If you like fill-in-the-blank, you'll probably like Settlers of Catan)?

berlycece 11-18-2017 10:27 AM

Gallery gazing while on the road...very cool!

How did I live before smartphones? Hee hee!

LuvLee 11-18-2017 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cnsteele (Post 21569436)
Gail, how is Settlers of Catan? I am going back and forth on buying it. What kinds of games would you compare it to (i.e. If you like fill-in-the-blank, you'll probably like Settlers of Catan)?

We used to play this with two other families but they moved away. We really enjoyed it! Ok so I was usually partnered up with hubby! lol Lots of strategy and planning, city building, etc.

sleepyinseattle 11-18-2017 06:37 PM

Do any of you have the original games from your childhood? I have Clue from the 1960's. We also played a lot of Scrabble, Candyland, Operation, Monopoly, Parcheesi.
Later on I was all about Trivial Pursuit.

Got one of the challenges done, hope to do the other two on Monday. Thanks, dear hostesses!

smadson 11-18-2017 06:57 PM

I don't have any original games except a hand made Whahoo board by my Dad, He and a cousin made about three of them. My grandma had one, the cousin had one, and Mom and Dad had one. I have my Mom's now, and our daughter has my grandma's.
I don't know if it is a commercial game or not. The board has curved spaces all the way around the board for marbles. 4 can play and each gets 5 marbles, and you move them around the board, to home which is 6 spaces towards center. On your turn you roll one die. You have to have a six or two to get out of the hole. If you roll a six , you get to roll again. The object is to get all 5 marbles home. You may get knocked off to start over a lot of times before you get all of them home. Does it sound familiar to anyone?

gwendolyn46 11-18-2017 07:25 PM

Yes, it does. I believe we played it with friends whose dad may have made their board.

smadson 11-18-2017 07:37 PM

I wonder if it was my cousin? LOL

sleepyinseattle 11-18-2017 07:42 PM

Haven't heard of Whahoo, Sharon, but it sounds like a fun one!

DCinkit 11-18-2017 07:51 PM

I haven't heard of Whahoo, but it sounds like Mancala. I enjoy playing that one. How wonderful that you have one of the three boards that your father and his cousin made.