Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-01-2010, 08:21 PM   #1
Stazon Splitcoast

Default Where are all the "Doctor Who" fans?

I know courtesy of a couple of avatars (yes, RiverIsis, I'm talking to you, LOL!) that I can't be the only one, so come out, come out wherever you are!

I've been both eagerly awaiting and also dreading the last of this year's specials, because Mr. Tennant is definitely my favorite of the actors to portray the Doctor, but at the same time I wanted to see what he'd do with the material because he's such an amazing actor! I'm so glad that this time around that, with the exception of the Christmas 2008 special, the BBC didn't make us poor North American fans wait weeks or months after the original airdates before releasing the final episodes for broadcast here!

My Stampin' Up! blog
"I'm a time traveler -- I point and laugh at archaeologists." 10th Doctor, "Silence in the Library"
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 01-03-2010, 10:42 AM   #2
Embossing Fanatic

Hi Rachel,

Fan here. But I would like to hear what you thought of the specials.

See, I thought it was fine, indeed, enjoyable. However, I constantly get flak around here for not "getting" the show, that the doctor just is who he is and I have to accept that and move on, and its no use questioning what he does with the companions or regarding the regeneration. He simply is Dr. Who. So, why all of a sudden does there seem to be an entire episode dedicated to making me cry and lament the end of the current Dr? In my mind, if I am supposed to accept that the doctor is the doctor, excepting perhaps a new "style", why would they write in a doctor who does not want to leave? In the past (I am thinking of The 9th Dr, because I don't think I have ever seen the end of any other dr, altho I have seen tons of episodes in the past two years or so), the doctor eases the companion into understanding that the doctor is not ending, and it will be ok.... but it was a pretty touching moment when he said he didn't want to go.

I mean maybe it was somehow related to Russell T. Davies leaving. Do we know why he is leaving?

So, all this to say that I will miss the 10th Dr, as I missed the 9th. And I have a thing for Tom Baker (lets not go there....). Were they afraid that choosing a young hot guy (first impressions??) would make people quickly write off and forget that they liked David Tennant, so this episode was to make DT stand out as the "doctor who did not want to go".

Am I missing the mark? Were there doctors who fought the regeneration before? Fill me in if you have time

Tracy
Old 01-03-2010, 12:33 PM   #3
Stazon Splitcoast

The second Doctor was forced into regeneration by his fellow Time Lords, so yes there has been at least one who fought tooth and nail not to change. The desperation to cheat death fits right into Ten's whole personality, as this was an incarnation that loved life, learning, and exploration to the fullest. He loved being who he was, as evidenced somewhat by the dialogue after his false-start regeneration in The Stolen Earth/Journey's End. I'm sure some of that enthusiasm and zest came from DT's being a total lifelong fanboy. How appropriate in a way that his version of the Doctor died of radiation poisoning just like #3, who was the version he watched as a boy and inspired him to become an actor.

To answer your second question, David Tennant decided to leave along with RTD so that Steven Moffat could essentially start with a clean slate, with no carryovers from the first head writer. He had been in the role for three of the revived series' four full seasons, so understandably it was a big deal for him to go. I'm trying to think of how long the other actors' tenures have been, and I think DT's run may be the second-longest behind 4th Doctor Tom Baker.

The moment when the "four knocks" finally came was probably one of my favorites -- watching the transition of emotions across the Doctor's face from amazement and relief that he was still alive to complete despair was incredible. In fact, all of the scenes with just the Doctor and Wilf were probably the best of the entire two-parter. As much as Wilf cared about the Doctor and wanted him to live, it must have completely devastated him to learn that he was the one the prophecy was talking about.

My Stampin' Up! blog
"I'm a time traveler -- I point and laugh at archaeologists." 10th Doctor, "Silence in the Library"
Old 01-03-2010, 02:07 PM   #4
Embossing Fanatic

Thanks- very enlightening.

Have you seen "Voyage of the Damned"?? Its one of the Christmas specials but we have not seen it....

Tracy
Old 01-03-2010, 07:08 PM   #5
Stazon Splitcoast

Yep, I have -- it was torture waiting till the April after its original airing for them to show it over here, but it was worth the wait!

My Stampin' Up! blog
Old 01-04-2010, 02:27 PM   #6
Stazon Splitcoast

Aw, c'mon, Tracy and I can't be the only ones who watched the specials?

My Stampin' Up! blog
Old 01-06-2010, 06:46 AM   #7
Pearl-ExPert

I loved all the specials. I am so sad to see DT leaving. I was glad they gave Donna a bit of a better ending than she had during her season.
Old 01-06-2010, 10:48 AM   #8
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctab View Post
I loved all the specials. I am so sad to see DT leaving. I was glad they gave Donna a bit of a better ending than she had during her season.
It was still so tragic to see her, without the memories of her travels in the TARDIS, pretty much back to the vapid, shallow person she'd been before meeting the Doctor. Cool that he was able to make it possible in a way for her deceased father to give her a wedding gift, though!

Who knows when we'll start getting the new episodes this side of the water (Series 5 starts this spring in the UK), but it's nice to know that there's another fan in the area -- my sister is totally NOT into the show, so it kinda stunk to have to watch on my own. At least back home in Virginia my former roomie was as much a sci-fi enthusiast as I am!

My Stampin' Up! blog
Old 01-06-2010, 02:25 PM   #9
Pearl-ExPert

I had never heard of it before I met my husband, and now I'm completely hooked. But, I'm notorious for hating new characters on shows (it took me a long time to get over the switch from Martha to Donna) so I hope the new doctor is at least half as good as DT was.
Old 01-07-2010, 10:35 AM   #10
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctab View Post
I had never heard of it before I met my husband, and now I'm completely hooked. But, I'm notorious for hating new characters on shows (it took me a long time to get over the switch from Martha to Donna) so I hope the new doctor is at least half as good as DT was.
Funny, I was kind of ambivalent about Martha so it didn't bother me at all to see Donna show up again -- IMO, she was the best companion of the three for the Tenth Doctor. It was nice to see him travel with someone who wasn't twentysomething and crushing on him, and (similar to Adelaide Brook in "Waters of Mars") who wasn't afraid to question him when he started to get a bit too "Time Lord victorious" and pull him back from the edge.

I was worried that I wouldn't like Matt Smith, but that little post-regeneration scene won me over. People complained that he was trying too much to be like his predecessor, but I didn't see it that way. Also, strangely, it wasn't disconcerting to see him in the pinstriped suit and trainers. Maybe it's because the two actors are of similar build and so the clothes still fit him, unlike with the previous switch from Nine to Ten. I heard that originally the new costume was supposed to be jeans, a t-shirt and a blazer-style jacket, but fans thought that, given they had already cast the youngest person ever, it was too "young and hip" for the Doctor and that TPTB were catering a bit too much to the 18-24 set.

My Stampin' Up! blog
Old 01-07-2010, 11:55 AM   #11
Insane Embellisher

I thoroughly enjoy Doctor Who. I watched the final show the other night and ended up crying through the end. Especially at the part where he went back in time to see Rose and asked her the date. I'm so sad to see David Tennant go and hope that the new doctor is as good.

I am curious, when the other Time Lords were facing them down, who was the woman that was hiding her face, then looked at Ten? His mother perhaps?
Old 01-11-2010, 07:47 PM   #12
Matboard Maniac

Wish they'd show the other shows ie the Drs from 1-10? MaggieSt
Old 01-14-2010, 11:51 PM   #13
Failed Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNnative View Post
I thoroughly enjoy Doctor Who. I watched the final show the other night and ended up crying through the end. Especially at the part where he went back in time to see Rose and asked her the date. I'm so sad to see David Tennant go and hope that the new doctor is as good.

I am curious, when the other Time Lords were facing them down, who was the woman that was hiding her face, then looked at Ten? His mother perhaps?
Yes that was his mother, apparently. Although I didn't think it made it all that clear.
Old 01-14-2010, 11:53 PM   #14
Failed Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggieSt View Post
Wish they'd show the other shows ie the Drs from 1-10? MaggieSt
I watched a Jon Pertwee one with DD a year or so ago and it was soooooo sloooooooow. I looked at the clock and said that it would all kick off in the next five minutes as it was due to end and then.... "to be continued". It's actually quite frightening how things have moved on so much.

Never watched Doctor Who as a kid - I was terrified of the Daleks. I only started watching with DD to keep her company in case it was scary and then somehow got sucked in because of Mr Tennant.
Old 01-14-2010, 11:59 PM   #15
Failed Lurker

And now dare I say that I didn't actually rate the final two episodes? I thought they were confusing, drawn-out and self-indulgent. All that revisiting all his old mates - previous Doctors weren't afforded that luxury, were they? In the end I was actually willing him to get on with it and regenerate - something I'd been dreading for months!m

I think Steven Moffat is the superior writer to Russell T Davies - although all credit to RTD for making Doctor Who the phenomenon that it has become - and the new series should be really good. I also think the new Doctor could be good - he seems to have the right sort of energy required and is sufficiently different; there's something almost gothic about him, too, which should fit in well with current trends. But he's just not David Tennant and too young for me even to consider fancying.

Still, we've not seen the last of Mr Tennant - he was on telly AND radio ALL THE TIME over Christmas. Three hours of Hamlet on Boxing Day! He's very much in demand and has proved his versatility so should be cropping up everywhere from now on.
Old 01-15-2010, 11:25 AM   #16
Insane Embellisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagpuss View Post
But he's just not David Tennant and too young for me even to consider fancying.

Still, we've not seen the last of Mr Tennant - he was on telly AND radio ALL THE TIME over Christmas. Three hours of Hamlet on Boxing Day! He's very much in demand and has proved his versatility so should be cropping up everywhere from now on.
I hope we have not seen the last of him over here. He certainly is fanci-able. Is that even a word? Oh well, you know what I mean.
Old 01-23-2010, 05:33 AM   #17
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagpuss View Post
And now dare I say that I didn't actually rate the final two episodes? I thought they were confusing, drawn-out and self-indulgent. All that revisiting all his old mates - previous Doctors weren't afforded that luxury, were they? In the end I was actually willing him to get on with it and regenerate - something I'd been dreading for months!m

I think Steven Moffat is the superior writer to Russell T Davies - although all credit to RTD for making Doctor Who the phenomenon that it has become - and the new series should be really good. I also think the new Doctor could be good - he seems to have the right sort of energy required and is sufficiently different; there's something almost gothic about him, too, which should fit in well with current trends. But he's just not David Tennant and too young for me even to consider fancying.

Glad you wrote this so I didn't have to. I didn't think it was that well scripted and am glad RTD is going.

I fell in love with Bernard Cribbins all over again though at one point I think I shouted that they were going to kill him off with all of that running. He must be as fit as a fiddle, bless him.

Am I the only one that Matt Smith reminds me of Alex out of "A Clockwork Orange" ? So I hope I can get rid of that mental picture before the series starts back.

And I agree, I'm still heartbroken that Donna was left oblivious and shallow, however maybe there is a way for her to come back. I have to be honest I was completely surprised at how much I liked Catherine Tate in the role the companion. And I tend to agree about Martha - she reminded me too much of a lovesick teenager rather than a doctor in training. I honestly don't think she knew what to do with the role to make it different to Rose where there was the love but also the matey-ness.

Will definitely keep watching.

I wonder if they will try to interweave some of the plotlines.

AND can anyone find out how I missed this thread for so long?
Old 03-28-2010, 07:06 AM   #18
Insane Embellisher

loved david tennant as the doctor,but i`ve been watching it since the 70`s,tomas baker was the doctor then,ibelieve!!(i`m only 45,i swear!LOL!) didnt realize they did a new one til a few years ago! I also loved Torchwood,but that wasnt on too long!
If you love a good sci fi show, caprica is really good! its on syfy network!hugs!

karen adams

Last edited by mzkangak; 03-28-2010 at 07:10 AM..
Old 08-21-2010, 05:28 PM   #19
Stazon Splitcoast

Just thought I'd revive this thread! So, who watched the first series with Matt Smith as the Eleventh Doctor? What did you think? I was pleasantly surprised how much I loved it overall (even though it did have its slow points), and can't wait for the next one to start!

My Stampin' Up! blog
Old 08-22-2010, 01:36 AM   #20
Failed Lurker

We were pleasantly surprised in this house, too. All ready to sulk because he wasn't David Tennant and then bam! In came Matt Smith and he was the Doctor instantly. Loved him!

I did think some of the stories were lacking, though. For instance, the weeping angels one didn't grab me (not literally - eek!) this time like they did last time. But a big thumbs up for the Doctor!
Old 08-23-2010, 12:58 PM   #21
Stazon Splitcoast

I definitely wasn't sold on him before this seasons but I like him and the progression of the stories. Loved the story of the reptile race pre-existing the humans. Freaky Dr Who storyline at its best.
Old 08-29-2010, 08:15 PM   #22
Insane Embellisher

I saw several of them, but missed 2-3 episodes due to work. When does the new season start?