Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 06-15-2009, 04:15 AM   #1
Crimping Master

Default Next Food Network star

Is anyone watching this? It's been interesting to say the least. I couldn't believe the arrogance of that one guy last night who was ready to throw the blonde (sorry, can't remember their names yet) under the bus. I think that, coupled with the fact that he said he was there because friends told him he should try out was what did him in. After seeing the way he acted, I think his friends probably knew he would make an a** of himself and laughed at him. JMHO
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 06-15-2009, 09:17 AM   #2
Mad Swapper

I've not watched it before, but am watching it now because I didn't find anything else in that time slot I wanted to watch. I didn't like him much either. I am somewhat bummed that the Korean girl is getting such wonderful comments when she did such a rotten job shopping for the first challenge and also allowing them to put the angel food cake out as a dessert.
Old 06-15-2009, 12:15 PM   #3
Insane Embellisher

I had missed it last week, so last night I watched the repeat of last week & then this week's.
I didn't care for that tall guy, either, and thought that what he had done to the "Mom" was terrible. They had offered to help her, then he tried to undermine her. I felt really bad for her.
I really didn't see anyone who reallt dtood out for me. Maybe the guy who got Ground Hog Day as his holiday
Old 06-15-2009, 02:48 PM   #4
Dirty Dozen Alumni

I am glad Brett is gone (love the name, my youngest is named Brett) but haven't liked that guy since the get-go.

Jamika is one to watch - she's got personality galore and seems tv ready for being so early in the show.

I can't remember the other names, yet, but the mom will go pretty soon I think. She just doesn't seem like she has the chops, maybe she'll get them.

Old 06-16-2009, 02:09 PM   #5
Insane Embellisher

I was a little surprised that the "healthy" food woman is still there. Her food hadn't been well received nor has she had any good presentations.

"I wish I was a glow worm, a glow worm's never glum.
How can you be grumpy, when the sun shines out your bum?"
Old 06-16-2009, 11:06 PM   #6
Vintage Vixen

Quote:
Originally Posted by KearaS View Post
I was a little surprised that the "healthy" food woman is still there. Her food hadn't been well received nor has she had any good presentations.
I agree! I had pegged her to be eliminated on Sunday, but somehow she survived. I don't think she'll make it to the finals, though.

Right now I'd say the front runners are Jamika and Debbie (in spite of the angel food cake fiasco!). Michael has received great reviews on his food almost every challenge, but his flamboyant personality will not appeal to a lot of viewers. If he can tone it down a little, I think he might have a chance.
Old 06-18-2009, 02:02 PM   #7
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Rubber Room Resident

I'm thinking Jeffrey (my favorite so far) and Jamika will be the ones to watch.
I think what Brett and Teddy did to Melissa was really slimy. They should never have offered to help if they were only going to use it against her. I hope that is the reason they got rid of that guy, it really showed a complete lack of integrity.
I have to laugh at the health food girl. She is kind of like "look at this disgusting stuff, it's so good for you". Yum!

Joanne

www.sleepyinseattle.net
Old 06-21-2009, 06:27 PM   #8
Crimping Master

Default Wow! Tonight's show

I think they should have sent them both home!
Old 06-21-2009, 09:19 PM   #9
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Rubber Room Resident

Me too! They were both awful.

Joanne

www.sleepyinseattle.net
Old 06-21-2009, 10:17 PM   #10
Vintage Vixen

I was really gunning for Teddy. GAWD, what a jerk. I wouldn't watch his show if it was on 24 hours a day and that was the only channel I got. I predict that he won't be the winner.

I think Eddie's biggest downfall was admitting that he used a recipe of Paula Deen's. He probably thought that by attributing the recipe to her, he wouldn't get blamed for how bad it tasted. HAHA! Did he get fooled.
Old 06-22-2009, 07:37 AM   #11
Insane Embellisher

I agree. When they were both standing there waiting for the decision of who was going home it flashed thru my mind that they should send them both home.
I forgot that you can go to the website & read the judges blogs. Sometimes there's some pretty interesting information there.
Old 06-23-2009, 10:01 AM   #12
Rubber Obsessor

Teddy threw his own self under the bus Sunday night. Who is going to want to work with him not knowing what is going to come out of his mouth. I was praying that he would go home. Maybe his punishment was that he had to face the other folks.
Old 06-28-2009, 09:17 PM   #13
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Rubber Room Resident

I'm totally fine with tonight's elimination.
I'm happy that Melissa did so well, she seems to be blossoming.

Joanne

www.sleepyinseattle.net
Old 06-29-2009, 08:00 AM   #14
Insane Embellisher

I am, too. I think it's just the second half of last week's elimination.
I think the people in Wisconsin cringed when they saw Jamika grind all that food up in the blender. So much that she could have done with it, and she destroyed it.
I would like to know what you could have done with lobster and blueberries. Both are good, but together? I would have done two seperate dishes
Old 06-29-2009, 08:05 AM   #15
Vintage Vixen

I am so glad Teddy is gone! Couldn't stand his attitude and that punk/pouty look on his face all the time. I was surprised though, that they didn't send Katie home for once again serving undercooked food (Katie is the bug-eyed health gal, right?). I think it's just a matter of time before she's eliminated.
Old 06-29-2009, 08:27 AM   #16
Crimping Master

Default Great show last night

I was so glad to see Melissa win, so glad to see Teddy go home although it could have been a toss up. I couldn't believe the mess that Jamika served. The one who served the raw food again...I think her days are numbered. This is getting really interesting.
Old 06-30-2009, 08:04 PM   #17
Rubber Obsessor

I was so glad Melissa won and had such a good night. Teddy might be a better cook than Katie but he is so wishy washy with his personality. I was embarrassed for Jamika and Jeffery. Both had good ideas but they just did not pan out (no pun).
Debbie took a hard hit to her face. I cannot believe she was able to finish her challenge. I think the selection committee took a little pity on her. My favorites so far are Melissa, Jeffery, Jamika and Debbie.
Old 07-01-2009, 07:37 AM   #18
Stazon Splitcoast

Hubby and I love this show and have watched all seasons.

I was so glad to see Teddy go, he really should have gone last week. I think Katie is next. I wish she could pull it together because I do believe many people (myself included) would like to hear a dietician talk. I used to watch Ellie Krieger's show and have her cookbook. It is great by the way.

Melissa - Still not sure about her. She is adorable and I was so happy for her, but to watch a whole show, not sure.

Jeffery and Jamika - I like them both and hope they improve next week. I have no idea what you do with Lobster and blueberries. I would have made a cobbler for dessert!
Old 07-06-2009, 06:22 PM   #19
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Rubber Room Resident

Not surprised that they sent Katie home. I couldn't watch a show by her, who knew healthy eating could sound so unappealing?
My favorites are Jeffrey and now Melissa.

Joanne

www.sleepyinseattle.net
Old 07-06-2009, 08:55 PM   #20
Vintage Vixen

Hmmm, I'm not sure who I like the best now. I'm glad that Katie was eliminated. From the very beginning I did not see her making it to the top.

I think Michael has been the most consistent in terms of presenting good food. But if he can't keep his cool and perform in front of the camera, he won't make it.

Melissa can be fun if she doesn't get too manic. And she will appeal to people who have kids at home to feed. But what about people without kids? I couldn't care less about making meals that appeal to kids, and frankly would get tired of that being the emphasis all the time. I think she and Michael did a great job of turning grilled cheese and tomato soup into an adult meal.

I like Debbie's style and quiet assuredness (is that a word?--the Splitcoast dictionary doesn't like it! LOL). She reminds me of the Barefoot Contessa: her tone of voice and her natural ability in front of the camera. But she does need to step it up in terms of both her food and her explanations. I had to agree with Bobby Flay. OK, so you're Korean and that's why you use garlic. Anything else you want to add to elaborate on that? I'm NOT Korean and I use garlic.

Jeffrey just has no personality to me, except when they did the Rachael Ray spot and he acted like he was on speed. Honestly, I can't think of anything too memorable about him.

There is something about Jamika that I like, but she really derailed herself last Sunday! I think she let her nerves get the better of her. She was doing so much better earlier in the competition.

So, after putting my thoughts down (thanks for reading this far!) I would have to say that my top 3 favorites are Debbie, Jamika, and Michael. I can't wait for them to go to Miami.
Old 07-12-2009, 07:16 PM   #21
Crimping Master

Default Not really surprised tonight

I figured he would go simply because of what he said to the judges...again, and I think Debbie will go next week.
Old 07-12-2009, 07:27 PM   #22
Vintage Vixen

Yep, I pegged Michael to go this week. Truthfully, if I had been at that party, he would have been annoying me immensely.

Jeffrey still hasn't done anything to impress me, and I was kind of surprised at Debbie's behavior tonight. Sure, her appetizers tasted the best, but that was because she did NOTHING ELSE but prepare her own items.

Did you sound to you as if the judges are liking Melissa more and more each week?
Old 07-12-2009, 07:51 PM   #23
Rubber Obsessor

I wasn't surprised that Debbie's food was the best at the party since that is all she did. What I thought was funny was she did not cook "steak" for her steak house dish. Who goes to a steak house and does not order steak? Ok, besides a veg only person.

I like Melissa and Jeffery but I think the judges see something in Jamika. I would watch any of those three but Debbie has already annoyed me with her "I'm Korean" thing. Nothing against Korean but to say that to explain every dish is a little boring. JMO
Old 07-12-2009, 07:56 PM   #24
Vintage Vixen

Quote:
Originally Posted by allboys View Post
I wasn't surprised that Debbie's food was the best at the party since that is all she did. What I thought was funny was she did not cook "steak" for her steak house dish. Who goes to a steak house and does not order steak? Ok, besides a veg only person.

I like Melissa and Jeffery but I think the judges see something in Jamika. I would watch any of those three but Debbie has already annoyed me with her "I'm Korean" thing. Nothing against Korean but to say that to explain every dish is a little boring. JMO
My mom will go to a steak house and not order steak. She usually orders chicken.

I like Jamika, too. She started off so strong but I think she let her nerves get the better of her as the competition got harder. I think if she can conquer that and produce some good food, she has a good shot at winning.
Old 07-13-2009, 05:47 AM   #25
Mad Swapper

I like Jeffrey, but he seems to not be consistent with the judges. I have been upset with Debbie since the first week. Her behaviour last night was unforgiveable. I like Melissa, but am hoping Jamika gets herself together as she can shine.
Old 07-13-2009, 03:28 PM   #26
Insane Embellisher

I agree. Debbie just rubs me the wrong way.
I thought Michael was obnoxious with his " who loves you?" I could only take so much of that.
Honestly, none of them really impresses me.
Out of all the FNS finalists, Guy is the only one who is really a personality. All the others haven't lasted. I don't count Aaron at this point, because he is last year's winner.
Old 07-14-2009, 11:35 AM   #27
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:
Originally Posted by missiowa81 View Post
My mom will go to a steak house and not order steak. She usually orders chicken.
Yeah, I can understand that but the challenge was very obvious to me - steak house place=steak. If she wanted to do something off the wall, then how about a salad with thin strips of steak (almost like a fajita salad) but with her personal style?
Old 07-20-2009, 05:39 AM   #28
Crimping Master

Default Not totally surprised at last nights results

I think basically Jamika sent herself home because of the attitude, not her culinary skills. Although I think Debbie should have been the one to go. They were so right about her always trying to shift blame and not take responsibility for her actions...or lack thereof. She reminds me of Martha Stewart when her daytime show started after her prison term. Everytime anything went wrong with the food or a craft, she blamed the people in the kitchen or the staff who prepared her supplies for her. I can see Debbie doing that.
Old 07-20-2009, 08:57 AM   #29
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyNurse View Post
I think basically Jamika sent herself home because of the attitude, not her culinary skills. Although I think Debbie should have been the one to go. They were so right about her always trying to shift blame and not take responsibility for her actions...or lack thereof. She reminds me of Martha Stewart when her daytime show started after her prison term. Everytime anything went wrong with the food or a craft, she blamed the people in the kitchen or the staff who prepared her supplies for her. I can see Debbie doing that.
I like Melissa when she is calm. Jeffery has not really impressed me but I could watch his show plus he has won quite a few of the mini challenges. Debbie, on the other hand and IMO is too snooty. I don't recall her winning any mini challenge for her food. In the end, I hope it comes down to Melissa and Jeffery.
Old 07-20-2009, 09:19 AM   #30
Die Cut Diva

[QUOTE=missiowa81;14611164]My mom will go to a steak house and not order steak. She usually orders chicken.

My dad used to say that all the time about my mom! You made me smile!

I am from Nebraska. It must be what we do.

Bonnie
Old 07-20-2009, 07:58 PM   #31
Matboard Maniac

Quote:
I had to laugh when I read this. I remember an episode (not too long ago) where Martha was making bread or some other baked item. She was supposed to add five cups of flour and lost count. She asked the floor crew how many cups of flour is that - I lost count. They said four. She said I think you're wrong - it's three. They "politely" said it's four we counted. She said you're wrong - it's three and added two more cups. I watched a repeat later in the day and the crew was right it had been four. I guess "no one" corrects Martha.

I'm in Canada and Food Network Canada is airing this as well, we're just a few weeks behind the shows in the U.S. (They just aired the episode where they cooked at Ina's house.) I've been following the upcoming episodes through this thread and the site on foodtv.com.

I'm STUNNED that Jamika is gone. I honestly had her pegged to win the whole thing. What happened over the last few weeks? From the sounds of the blog of one of the judges she completely falls apart in a short amount of time.

I like Melissa (in small doses). The manic mommy thing wears thin fast. It doesn't sound like Debbie is doing herself any favours with the judges though. Jeffrey is ok but doesn't seem to have the personality of some of the other winners (I really like Guy).
Old 07-21-2009, 09:06 AM   #32
Crimping Master

Default More thoughts

I think the judges really were pulling for Jamika also, and it was a very tough decision for them. But she just falls apart under stress, and she wears her feelings on her shoulder. You will understand what I mean when you see the last episode.

Melissa can calm down when she has to and showed that with her last task.

I just don't care for Jeffrey. No particular reason. And the funny thing is, I did not like Guy at all when he was in the competition, but he kind of grew on me. However, I have to take HIM in small doses.
Old 07-21-2009, 11:08 AM   #33
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Rubber Room Resident

I hope it comes down to my two favorites of Jeffrey and Melissa with Melissa winning. She was kind of the dark horse that pulled ahead in this whole thing. I could see watching her on a daytime show, she is like a stay at home mom that a lot of women will be able to relate to. Sandra Lee is the closest thing they have but I think they are different enough.

Joanne

www.sleepyinseattle.net
Old 07-21-2009, 01:44 PM   #34
Rubber Obsessor

[QUOTE=Stampnf1n;14674360]
Quote:
Originally Posted by missiowa81 View Post

My dad used to say that all the time about my mom! You made me smile!

I am from Nebraska. It must be what we do.

Bonnie
Maybe that is why I am dumbfounded - I am a Texas girl and I love my beef. Well, and chicken and pork, and seafood.
Old 07-22-2009, 01:58 PM   #35
Matboard Maniac

Quote:
I think the judges really were pulling for Jamika also, and it was a very tough decision for them. But she just falls apart under stress, and she wears her feelings on her shoulder. You will understand what I mean when you see the last episode.

Melissa can calm down when she has to and showed that with her last task.

I just don't care for Jeffrey. No particular reason. And the funny thing is, I did not like Guy at all when he was in the competition, but he kind of grew on me. However, I have to take HIM in small doses.
Thanks for the info!! Tonight I get to watch the burger fiasco I mean episode.

[quote=allboys;14685261]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stampnf1n View Post

Maybe that is why I am dumbfounded - I am a Texas girl and I love my beef. Well, and chicken and pork, and seafood.
I'm a (former) Alberta girl. I love steak but the ONLY time I order it is when I go to a steak house and it's a planned outing. I won't order steak at most restaurants because I'm extremely picky about how its cooked (rare - Chicago style) and a steak house is about the only one that can get it right.
Old 07-22-2009, 08:21 PM   #36
Insane Embellisher

I also home Melissa wins. She's the only I think I'd actually watch. She makes "real" food but makes it well. And if she can keep the tips going they're really helpful.

"I wish I was a glow worm, a glow worm's never glum.
How can you be grumpy, when the sun shines out your bum?"
Old 07-26-2009, 09:07 PM   #37
Rubber Obsessor

Yeah, my fave two are in the finals...scroll down if you want to know.

Melissa and Jeffery
Old 07-26-2009, 09:19 PM   #38
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Rubber Room Resident

Yay!! Very pleased with the top two! I'm hoping more for Melissa to win, I like the type of food she cooks better than Jeffrey's.

Joanne

www.sleepyinseattle.net
Old 07-27-2009, 02:35 AM   #39
Die Cut Diva

[QUOTE=BabyNurse;14683263]I think the judges really were pulling for Jamika also, and it was a very tough decision for them. But she just falls apart under stress, and she wears her feelings on her shoulder. You will understand what I mean when you see the last episode.

I think that they really hoped that Jamika would pull off a good dish with the Jamaica Me Crazy shrimp. It would have been perfect for the Red Lobster Menu. But I think she is just a little to under experienced.

Bonnie
Old 07-27-2009, 07:10 AM   #40
Insane Embellisher

okay, I cheered when they said that Debbie was going home. She might be "camera ready" and her food might be good, but I just couldn't get past the way she treated people in several of the episodes. I don't think she's very nice