Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 12-10-2007, 05:55 PM   #1
Pearl-ExPert

Default Jon and Kate plus 8

Who else enjoys this show?
Tonight, they go to Disney. Should be fun to watch.
When I first started watching, I thought that Kate was a bit much. But after a few epi's, I realized that she really NEEDS to be that way!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 12-10-2007, 06:03 PM   #2
Insane Embellisher

I LOVE this show. I love all the specials that Discovery Health has on large families. Even love the Duggars!!

I always watch Jon & Kate, and YES she is a little much to take sometimes, but I'm sure it's high stress having all those little ones!

I felt sorry for Jon when they were in the toy store and she was fussing at him when he was just doing what she TOLD him to do!

I definitely want to applaud them for taking their kids so many places. Granted, they ARE being followed around by cameras so they can't just sit and home or there wouldn't be a show, but I think it's great to see the kids being exposed to so many things.
Old 12-11-2007, 06:05 AM   #3
Stazon Splitcoast

Yes, I'm sure it is stressful having all those kids, but remember, they *chose* to have that many kids.

Having a large family doesn't give you a pass to speak to people the way she does.

I can't watch it anymore, b/c I find her over-the-top and annoying.
Old 12-11-2007, 08:13 AM   #4
down and digi

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassyat30 View Post
Yes, I'm sure it is stressful having all those kids, but remember, they *chose* to have that many kids.

Having a large family doesn't give you a pass to speak to people the way she does.

I couldn't have said it better.

I don't like the show and I don't like how she relies on everyone and their charity when she chose to have that many. I'm not saying that relying on others and charity is bad, but when you choose to have a lot of kids, you have to be aware of the consequences.

Some would say she didn't `choose', but she chose to implant that many embryos and that was after having twins. So, she knew what could/would happen.
Old 12-11-2007, 10:32 AM   #5
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

I just watched this show for the first time last night and it will be my last. I did not like her.
Old 12-11-2007, 10:37 AM   #6
Pearl-ExPert

I really like the show I just caught the middle of the disney epi last night.
Old 12-11-2007, 07:13 PM   #7
Mad Swapper

She's more of a perfectionist than "I" am and that's not good. My mom drove me nutz with all her cleaning and wanting everything just so. Now I've done the same with mine (ages 15 and 18, they choose to keep their rooms VERY messy in retaliation. I've given up and just close their doors). Anyway, she's doing the same thing with all eight. Driving not only the kids crazy, but the poor husband and herself as well. All those kids - she's gotta lighten up!

Old 12-12-2007, 03:53 AM   #8
Pearl-ExPert

I agree, she could loosen up a bit! The tv people continue to show parts of the children having fits and her having fits and the husband looking like a servant. I wish they would show them when they are all happy. Hope there are times when that is going on?
But, it's fun to watch!
Old 12-12-2007, 09:28 AM   #9
Die Cut Diva

I like the show, but I agree Kate needs to loosen up a bit. I do suppose with 8 kids, if she wasn't as organized or disciplined as she is, things might just turn into chaos.

I am sure editing has a lot to do with it too, they might show more of her biotchy side than is really there.

They don't live far from me, a lot of places shown on the show are close by me - but I don't know exactly what town they live in.

Anne
Old 12-12-2007, 04:10 PM   #10
Ross' Island Lobster

Quote:
Originally Posted by dairy queen View Post
Who else enjoys this show?
Tonight, they go to Disney. Should be fun to watch.
When I first started watching, I thought that Kate was a bit much. But after a few epi's, I realized that she really NEEDS to be that way!
I do
I've watched every episode since it started!!!!!! Love it.
I can't believe they drove all the way down to Disney with young kiddos in 2 days. That's amazing!!!!
Old 12-29-2007, 06:10 PM   #11
Embossing Fanatic

Quote:

Me too. Which is a shame because I'm really interested in the kids and the family dynamic of that many kids at those ages. And the husband can be funny sometimes. But I just can't take her.

blog: Muse Flash - if you leave a comment on my blog I WILL come by yours and leave a comment. :)
Old 01-02-2008, 02:13 PM   #12
Cardstock Collector

Default Jon & Kate plus 8

I watch Jon & Kate plus 8 all the time, and most of the time I do really enjoy it. I love to watch the children--though Mady could use some stronger discipline--in my opinion, of course. But all in all they are all adorable!! Jon has got to be one of the best fathers I've ever witnessed. He's attentive to all the children and seems able to handle most situations very well. He even handles the situations when Kate is having a "meltdown", it seems like this happens about once or twice and episode. Kate is a loving, caring, very well organized Mom who is a bit hyper, but she must be commended for accomplishing so much with little constant outside help. I would be exhausted if I had 6 3 year olds too, though she was exhausted after sitting in the beauty parlor chair for a couple of hours. I think she needs to allow herself to relax during the evenings after the children are all in bed. Maybe she needs to not be so melodramatic in front of the television cameras!! All in all this family is very close and loving to one another, I will continue to watch it as long as new episodes are being produced (it's easy to get very critical of Kate when watching reruns!!).
Old 01-03-2008, 09:51 AM   #13
Impoverished Gymnastics Mom

For those of you who say that they chose to have eight kids, that's not the entire story. Kate has polycystic blah blah blah so she has to use fertility treatments to get pregnant. Her first pregnancy produced twins. They wanted to have a third child so they underwent fertility treatment again knowing that multiples were an option. But the odds were highly against them having sextuplets. So yes, they chose to get pregnant, but no, they didn't necessarily choose to have sextuplets.

They opted not to have a reductive abortion because of their personal beliefs so yes in one way they did choose to have sextuplets, but it's not like they went in to that second pregnancy hoping to have a litter of kids so they could get their own TV show or charity or what have you.

I guess what I mean is that I don't feel like they chose to have eight kids anymore than I chose the gender of my child. It just happened in the womb.
Old 01-04-2008, 12:50 AM   #14
Pearl-ExPert

I just happened upon this on New Year's Eve. I'm thinking about dvr'ing it but sort of on the fence. Kate is a bit uptight for my taste. Chill out lady! Everything doesn't have to be perfect. Yes, with that many kids, some order is necessary, but no more than a family with 1, 2, or more kids.

I watched the Disney episode and part of the episode before it (when they moved.) Why did they feel the need to pack picnic tables for Disney? At least that's what it looked like was in the trailer? Yes, by the sure number of children, there were going to be more clothes than most families, but it looked like they had packed half the house. I guess I'm a minimalist. The less we have to haul, the better I feel. Also, the ice cream fiasco, I was with the husband. Just let them get sticky.
Old 01-04-2008, 03:52 AM   #15
jor
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by linda1010 View Post
I watch Jon & Kate plus 8 all the time, and most of the time I do really enjoy it. I love to watch the children--though Mady could use some stronger discipline--in my opinion, of course. But all in all they are all adorable!! Jon has got to be one of the best fathers I've ever witnessed. He's attentive to all the children and seems able to handle most situations very well. He even handles the situations when Kate is having a "meltdown", it seems like this happens about once or twice and episode. Kate is a loving, caring, very well organized Mom who is a bit hyper, but she must be commended for accomplishing so much with little constant outside help. I would be exhausted if I had 6 3 year olds too, though she was exhausted after sitting in the beauty parlor chair for a couple of hours. I think she needs to allow herself to relax during the evenings after the children are all in bed. Maybe she needs to not be so melodramatic in front of the television cameras!! All in all this family is very close and loving to one another, I will continue to watch it as long as new episodes are being produced (it's easy to get very critical of Kate when watching reruns!!).
We must remember too that the show is edited and we aren't seeing the whole thing. They may be "highlighting" Kate's meltdowns, etc. She is a very **** retentive person. I think being a nurse was a fabulous occupation for her -- I'd want her as my nurse! People are people: faults, personalities, etc.
Old 01-04-2008, 04:22 AM   #16
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Subscribing so I remember to come back later... if I start typing more at this time I'll never make it work today!

I know not what this day holds....but I know Who holds the day!!
Old 01-04-2008, 04:35 AM   #17
Glitter Guru

Ilike the show, but must admit, i never seem to watch the episodes when they are new, but when they have a marathon. So i havent' seen the Disney one---just saw the one where they were packing up to go! Got to applaud them for taking those kids everywhere and they are very lucky to be able to do these things with all of them! I also think that Kate is over the top, but I like laughing at her! I do wonder how much they get for doing the show! I'm sure it helps and makes it able to put up with the cameras in your face and all the editing to make things better for TV
Old 01-04-2008, 04:39 AM   #18
jor
Stazon Splitcoast

I was just thinking - we have friends who had invitro for their children. They had one son and then when she got pregnant again, was pregnant with triplets. You just don't know how many you'll get with invitro!
Old 01-04-2008, 06:40 AM   #19
Polyshrink Goddess

I just love this show!
Old 01-04-2008, 07:15 AM   #20

Yeah, I don't watch the entire show either but rather binge and purge on it. Quite honestly, my blood pressure couldn't handle watching the entire show! My ONE child overwhelms me sometimes and I seriously don't think I could do 8 kids.

Kate.....well, I wouldn't want to be married to her but if she needs order and control to run her life, who am I to question it? I have NO experience raising 8 kids and wouldn't presume to think that I know what she should be doing.

Jon......poor Jon. He does have to tolerate a lot of sniping but I think he loves Kate and those kids. Plus I can't imagine the stress he must feel to be the sole money provider for his large family.

The twins....they are too flippin' cute and oh so precocious. I love outgoing little girls!
Old 01-04-2008, 09:56 AM   #21
Cardstock Collector

Smile Jon & Kate plus 8

Kate may be a little hyer because of the television cameras, whether she's aware she's like that or if she's knowingly over-the-top melodramatic at times, who knows. She is more than a little organized, which is fine if you aren't freaking out over little insignificant things, which she tends to do. The fact that she takes the time to cook meals, and keep them healthy, tells much about how she feels about being a good mother to the children. I think the best advice I could give to Kate is take a deep breath and relax, and think before she talks, especially to Jon. So what if everything on todays "to do list" doesn't get done. Tomorrow will still come!!

Jon has one of the hardest jobs any man can have--he's not only the sole provider for his family, though I'm sure they receive money for the television show, but he's a very involved Dad, and he puts up with the Kate's "meltdowns". I do think Kate should cut him some slack once in awhile. She should feel fortunate to have a man like him who will do all of the things he does at home--vacuum, dust, bathe ALL of the kids, put the kids to bed and on, and on, and on---------

The kids, well they're normal healthy little kids, and Kate and Jon, I'm sure, are happy for that. Mady seems to be a lot like Kate, over dramatic, where Cara is far more laid back. Considering there are so many little ones they do get along very well.
Old 01-04-2008, 04:12 PM   #22
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

I LOVE this show! I try & watch it when ever I see it on tv! How Kate keeps it all together, I will have no clue. When she took the kids to the Chocolateland, I would have gone absolutely nuts!!!
Old 01-04-2008, 05:50 PM   #23
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlalei View Post
For those of you who say that they chose to have eight kids, that's not the entire story. Kate has polycystic blah blah blah so she has to use fertility treatments to get pregnant. Her first pregnancy produced twins. They wanted to have a third child so they underwent fertility treatment again knowing that multiples were an option. But the odds were highly against them having sextuplets. So yes, they chose to get pregnant, but no, they didn't necessarily choose to have sextuplets.

They opted not to have a reductive abortion because of their personal beliefs so yes in one way they did choose to have sextuplets, but it's not like they went in to that second pregnancy hoping to have a litter of kids so they could get their own TV show or charity or what have you.

I guess what I mean is that I don't feel like they chose to have eight kids anymore than I chose the gender of my child. It just happened in the womb.
Very well said!
Old 01-05-2008, 06:21 AM   #24
Kookie Creator

I am amazed at how she shops, cooks and feeds that family. There was one episode that showed her shopping and she spends $150 a week! I spend that much for my family of 4. Plus, she's committed to feeding them REAL food, those kids do NOT get chicken nuggets. Wish I could say the same.....She knows what is important to her and sticks to it, I admire her for that. I cave to easily and take the easy way out!
I think that she has good discipline too, she's consistent and sticks to it. And Jon can stand up for himself if he doesn't like it!
Just my 2 cents
Noddy
Old 01-05-2008, 06:52 AM   #25
Stampin' Fool

I don't know about the $150/wk for groceries. The episode I saw where they were at a warehouse store, like Sam's or Costco, their bill was over $1,500.

Last edited by amycrossley; 01-05-2008 at 06:53 AM.. Reason: spelling
Old 01-05-2008, 08:15 AM   #26
Stazon Splitcoast

I don't watch this show. If I want to see how a family of 8 kids does it, I can just watch my SIL. She has some OCD so her house is always clean and tidy and it doesn't involve all the screaming that Jon and Kate have. There is a wider spread in age differences (as my SIL doesn't have sextuplets) but it's still a wonder to watch anyone with 8 kids. We also have friends who have quadruplet boys and they amaze us, too.
Old 01-05-2008, 12:43 PM   #27
Ross' Island Lobster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novell View Post
I don't watch this show. If I want to see how a family of 8 kids does it, I can just watch my SIL. She has some OCD so her house is always clean and tidy and it doesn't involve all the screaming that Jon and Kate have. There is a wider spread in age differences (as my SIL doesn't have sextuplets) but it's still a wonder to watch anyone with 8 kids. We also have friends who have quadruplet boys and they amaze us, too.
Same here. My brother and SIL have 8 kids ages 17 down to 1. It is always amazing to be around them and all of their kids are so well behaved and polite.
Old 01-05-2008, 04:11 PM   #28
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noddy View Post
I am amazed at how she shops, cooks and feeds that family. There was one episode that showed her shopping and she spends $150 a week! I spend that much for my family of 4. Plus, she's committed to feeding them REAL food, those kids do NOT get chicken nuggets. Wish I could say the same.....She knows what is important to her and sticks to it, I admire her for that. I cave to easily and take the easy way out!
I think that she has good discipline too, she's consistent and sticks to it. And Jon can stand up for himself if he doesn't like it!
Just my 2 cents
Noddy
I am amazed at how she does it too. She is all about recycling & everything. It really impresses me.
Old 01-06-2008, 08:25 AM   #29
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
Originally Posted by jor View Post
I think being a nurse was a fabulous occupation for her -- I'd want her as my nurse! People are people: faults, personalities, etc.
I totally agree - I'd want her for my nurse too!

I've only seen this show one time but I liked it. The episode I watched was when they were at the pumpkin patch and I had to laugh when Jon said Kate was looking for the cleanest pumpkin !

"I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character." Martin Luther King, 1963
Old 01-07-2008, 06:40 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by amycrossley View Post
I don't know about the $150/wk for groceries. The episode I saw where they were at a warehouse store, like Sam's or Costco, their bill was over $1,500.
I saw that too. I about fell out of bed!
Old 01-08-2008, 05:53 AM   #31

Watched J&K+8 last night and my god.......if that woman were my wife, I'd have to throttle her after the fifth time she interrupted me and talked over me.

Kate.....learn not to interrupt. Bad Kate....go sit on the stairs.
Old 01-08-2008, 09:33 AM   #32
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlalei View Post
Watched J&K+8 last night and my god.......if that woman were my wife, I'd have to throttle her after the fifth time she interrupted me and talked over me.

Kate.....learn not to interrupt. Bad Kate....go sit on the stairs.
LOL Yes, Kate! Go sit in time out! I found her not quite so annoying this time, actually. I still think the one older girl... one of the twins. Don't know which one she is but that child needs some good disciplining! She's going to get difficult if they let that fester, me thinks.

Couldn't believe the part when she threw the dirty diaper (yes, it was sealed in a bag, but still....) at the producer. You know what a germ-a-phobe Kate says she is... if someone had done that to her she'd have been having a royal fit!

I know not what this day holds....but I know Who holds the day!!
Old 01-08-2008, 05:41 PM   #33
Pearl-ExPert

Yeah, that diaper incident was very funny! Sometimes I feel so bad for poor Jon!! I just wish he would grow a pair!
Don't get me wrong, I love the show and would never dream of judging them for how they are living their life. But she can be so mean to him! I guess the good thing is, is that she has admidtted to being wrong-on occasion!
How cute was Colin at the zoo?
I just can't imagine having THAT many kids the same age, at one time!
God Bless them!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-08-2008, 07:47 PM   #34
Mad Swapper

Saw in previews that she's getting a nanny? Boy, pity the poor woman with THAT job! Not because of so many kids, but because of the wife (no one can please her - she might as well continue to do it all herself!).

Old 01-09-2008, 08:20 AM   #35
Stampin' Fool

Okay, in defense of Kate and the "diaper incident"--before she tossed it at the producer she did say "Catch!" And I think after you've changed so many diapers your attitude towards poopy diapers becomes a little more cavalier. Before you have kids you think baby poop and spit up and stuff like that is so gross--then you get spit up on and pooped on and peed on (and in Kate's case it's times 6!!) and after awhile it's no big deal.
Old 01-09-2008, 09:12 AM   #36
Polyshrink Goddess

Default Nanny?

Will she ever find a nanny that she will accept?
Do you remember the episode when she tried to hire a maid?
She told one candidate she gets down on her hands and knees and cleans the kitchen floor TWICE a day. The maid looked at her and said I don't get down on my hands and knees.

I don't think she will find anyone she will like.
Old 01-09-2008, 07:17 PM   #37
Stazon Splitcoast

I've seen one episode so far (trip to Hershy Factory). I could take it or leave it. I ended up turning it off because all of her kids were running around screaming on tv while my own was doing the same here and I couldn't take the sound of 9 toddlers at once. I might watch it again if it happens to be on, but I doubt I'd ever seek it out.
Old 01-09-2008, 07:51 PM   #38
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddietsch View Post
Saw in previews that she's getting a nanny? Boy, pity the poor woman with THAT job! Not because of so many kids, but because of the wife (no one can please her - she might as well continue to do it all herself!).
I have been watching this show and for the most part enjoy it. Kate gets a bit dramatic for me at times--- which brings me to agree with you. The maid fiasco was the first thing that jumped in my mind after hearing about the nanny.
Something I've been wondering-- have they ever elaborated more about why they are not involved with their familes. I know they've referrenced Jon's dad passed and Kate's brother/ sister-in-law help out. But each time there is a Nana or Aunt, etc. they are always saying not relation... I was just curious as I know I've not seen all the episodes.
Old 01-09-2008, 07:54 PM   #39
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:
Originally Posted by stampertammy View Post
I still think the one older girl... one of the twins. Don't know which one she is but that child needs some good disciplining! She's going to get difficult if they let that fester, me thinks.
Couldn't agree more
Old 01-11-2008, 07:05 PM   #40
Crimping Master

Send a message via Skype™ to dorothyjane

It's kind of like an addiction. When I know it is on, I watch it, but Kate... i think she does a great job with the kids. But her relationship with Jon needs a lot of work. And who takes 8 kids to buy beds and then cannot make a decision. Please.
There was something said on an episode with the birthday party that there parents are not involved in their lives. Jon's grandmother was there.
I actually think they get to go so many places because of the show. I feel they are paid and reward (by the trips) for doing it. A family with Twins and sextuplets not on TV probably cannot do what they are doing. Certainly not at aged 3. Like the zoo, they got to go behind the scenes and ride the personal tram. Who gets to do that. They can film my husband and I if we could go to Disney World. Just kidding.
My husband just groans when it comes on and laughs.