Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 04-05-2012, 06:39 PM   #1  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Heart How to layer digis to make 3D flowers!

I drew this cherry blossom stamp set which was inspired by photos I took in Granny's backyard this past spring. The tree grows right next to the chicken yard! On the other side is a Pear tree which I also drew and turned into a digi stamps!

Today I'm going to show you how to make dimensional flowers using layers!!

For this pretty flower card I started with two identical images printed onto Gina K Pure Luxury 80# cardstock! So perfect for blending copics! However, much to my own surprise, I decided not to use copics on this flower and use only colored pencils! I think it turned out rather nice with the shades & blending! I'm showing the finished colored digi b/c I've actually had this digi colored for about 4 months and just haven't done anything with it since then! It's just been laying on my desk collecting dust and you can see where I used it as a pen test pad! LOL Anyway, when I colored it I never took pics of the process.... sorry... But with the limited array of colors you can pretty much tell by looking at it which colors went where! I used the white pencil where you see the lightest shades of pink. and they all blend so nicely with the use of the blender pencil! Then I did "real" highlights with the white glaze pen. I also dotted the center stems with the black glaze pen! And as I always do... after I finished coloring my digi I go over the black lines with my fine tip black micro pen.

Here is a close up of the pencil colors I used! Black & White Glaze pens, Colorless Blender, Sandbar brown, white, process red, carmine red, pink, kelly green, & dark green.

Here is a close up of the final flower (this will be cut out for the top layer) here you can see the black lines of the digi are more defined and the the dots on the center stems stand out nice!

This is the digi that will be used for the bottom layer. See the difference in the contrast when you go over with a black pen? (which I did not do on this bottom layer digi).

On the bottom digi I cut out using spellbinders nestabilities Labels Ten (2nd to the biggest one). As you can see I pushed it closer to the left b/c I knew I would be cutting off the end on the right.

I gathered my papers to fit my 5x6.5 card base.

Then I glued them down with a tape runner!

I really prefer adding a little something to the edges of die cut images (in most cases, not all) b/c I think it adds a little extra to it. I sponged the edge with Angel Pink byMemento and clipped off the end of the die cut. I also edged it a second time with the darker pink Rosebud around the very edges (not shown here) You can see it in the finished card.

Next I wanted to add some contrast & dimension to the flower so I started shadowing as if the light was coming from straight above. I used Copic W7. I really prefered the warm blacks for this image.

Next I went around those same lines with W5 to extend the shadow outward.

Then I went around a 3rd time with W3. This time I dabbled a little shadow on the top side in corners.

Then I took my lightest, W1 and went around all parts of the flower to finish off my shading! This adds so much to your digi!! I just love the look of this shading!

Next, I took my flower digi (the one with the dotted glaze stems) and cut out all the main flower parts. I also cut down the lines of the petals in order to be able to curl them up in a more life like way.

As you can see in this image!

Here is the cut out flower that will go on top of the flat flower (using pop dots!)

I cut out and inked the edges of my sentiment with spongers!

Here is the finished flower petals attached to the top of the flat image using pop dots. Curl the edges of the petals as you like! Assemble the rest of the card and your done!! I really hope you like this layering technique for flowers!! I would love to see your layered cards!

Thanks for looking!! Tiffany
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2012, 04:02 AM   #2  
Splitcoast Team Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Send a message via Skype™ to Beate

Great tutorial, Tiffany! Thanks for sharing it here.
Hugs and smiles

my gallery - my blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2012, 05:29 AM   #3  
Polyshrink Goddess

So beautiful! Thank you for the tutorial, Tiffany!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-11-2012, 08:11 PM   #4  
Cardstock Collector

Your tutorials are fantastic Tiffany!
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-22-2012, 02:27 PM   #5  
Cardstock Collector

WOW! a wonderful tutorial and beautifully made card. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-21-2012, 03:07 PM   #6  
Inking Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to gogogonz

Wow, what a treasure. I never thought I could manipulate a flower to be lifelike in just a few short stems. Got to get that glossy black pen. Thanks for the tutorial.
Reply With Quote Likes