Splitcoaststampers

Splitcoaststampers (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/)
-   Try a New Technique (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/try-new-technique-f44/)
-   -   TLC230 Fabric Flowers {7/20/09} (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/try-new-technique-f44/tlc230-fabric-flowers-%7B7-20-09%7D-t449338.html)

Lynn in St. Louis 07-20-2009 02:11 AM

TLC230 Fabric Flowers {7/20/09}

Everywhere you look there are more and more projects that include fabric on cards and scrapbook pages. Let's face it, fabric on cards and scrapbook pages is HOT! So today I have a technique that I'd love for you to try...not only is it easy, but it's a wonderful way to use up those bits and pieces of fabric scraps that you may have laying around the house. I called this TLC Fabric Flowers, (I had to call it something), but don't limit yourself to just flowers with this technique.

I saw THIS POST about printing digital paper directly onto fabric and thought that many of the same step would work wonderfully for making fabric flowers (or any embellishments) to be used on cards or layouts.

For those of you who don't have any fabric scraps lying around, you can go to any fabric store and even Wal-Mart carries little bits of cotton fabric in a wide variety of patterns and colors. Another great resource for fabric pieces is Good Will, Salvation Army or any thrift store - just pick up a used shirt or skirt, take it home and start cutting. One of my favorite sources of fabric is the wallpaper store...yep, that's right. Wallpaper stores throw out old-outdated sample books and are happy to have you come and take one or two off their hands. Most of these sample books contain coordinating fabric samples in the back. These are great to use because they are already bound to a paper backing and are basically "ready to use" and best of all, they are FREE!

One problem with fabrics and embellishments is that they tend to fray and are often a little floppy or flimsy for use on a project. I have a couple of solutions for you, so let's get started.

What you will need for this project:
Freezer Paper
Light weight fabric (a fabric without a lot of texture works best for this project)
Iron
Die cut dies (or Scissors - see instructions at the bottom for this version)

One problem with die cutting fabric is that it has a tendency to fray and bend, rather than achieving a nice, crisp cut, but we can fix that with a little freezer paper. Applying a paper backing to fabric helps the die to cleanly cut.

1) Heat your iron with no steam. If you are using cotton fabric, you can use a higher heat setting than you can if you are using something like polyester (which can "melt" at higher temps), so use your judgement here.
2) Cut a piece of fabric size appropriate for your diecut.
3) Trim a piece of freezer paper just a tad smaller than your fabric.
4) Lay the waxy side of the freezer paper face up on your ironing surface.
5) Lay the wrong side of your fabric onto the freezer paper (you want your "pretty side" facing you as you iron) and press the fabric allowing the heat of the iron to melt the waxy coating from the freezer paper into the fibers of your fabric.
6) You're now ready to use your die to form your fabric piece.

I tried, but could not get any of my punches to punch through the fabric/freezer paper. My dies works FANTASTICALLY, however. BUT YOU DON'T HAVE TO USE A DIE for this technique either if you don't have them. As shown in my sample below, you can follow this same procedure and create a fabric embellishment or focal point from ANY stamped image that you have.
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_T8d6Iy6Ppd...ic-Stamped.jpg

1) Choose a light, solid color fabric.
2) Follow steps 1-5 above
3) Using ink, stamp your image onto the fabric. Keep in mind that some fabrics will bleed (or wick out) the ink. I have learned that a good solid application of stay starch prior to applying to the freezer paper, cuts down the wicking a good deal.
4) Now just use your scissors to cut around the image and apply to your project.

One product that I'd also like to mention is called Designer Tac Double Tac Tape. It's made by a company called La D'ore and comes in a variety of sizes. The tape I used is 2" wide and I have used it on a variety of techniques, one being the white fabric stamped flowers in one of my samples. It's very similar to Tacky Tape, with the exception that it is 2" and my roll came with 15 yards.

Let your imagination run wild with a variety of patterns and colors. Add crystals, stickles, buttons, hand-stitching to your elements to really create a great look.

To view my sample card, CLICK HERE.

To view the gallery of creations using this technique, CLICK HERE.

Remember to use the keyword TLC230 when you upload your projects to the gallery.

AND ON ONE LAST NOTE: I will be away from the TLC challenges for the next two weeks. I have a familiar face filling in for me while I'm gone, so I'll see you all on August 10th.

NANCYRUTH 07-20-2009 02:52 AM

thanks Lynn and have a great vacation!!!

fishymom 07-20-2009 02:54 AM

What a fun challenge! The samples are beautiful and I can't wait to give this a try.

PurrrfectPause 07-20-2009 03:25 AM

Great tutorial, looking forward to digging through my fabric scrap drawer!

Stampinsilvia 07-20-2009 03:29 AM

ohh o hiss I don't have any spare fabric...maybe I should cut up those tattered jeans!

Lynn in St. Louis 07-20-2009 03:46 AM

I think perhaps you may have better luck with a thinner material than denim. The coating of wax paper on the freezer wrap is fairly thin, and works well with more light weight material. Not sure how well it would adhere to denim. Got any old shirts? :mrgreen:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stampinsilvia (Post 14671928)
ohh o hiss I don't have any spare fabric...maybe I should cut up those tattered jeans!

NCSUnikki 07-20-2009 03:47 AM

Sounds fun Lynn! Can't wait to try it!

lacyquilter 07-20-2009 03:54 AM

Oh, fun! I'm all over this challenge. One question -- do you remove the freezer paper after you die cut?

Lynn in St. Louis 07-20-2009 03:56 AM

I did not remove my freezer paper. It's the paper backing that keeps the fabric from just bending and fraying in the die.

Quote:

Originally Posted by lacyquilter (Post 14672027)
Oh, fun! I'm all over this challenge. One question -- do you remove the freezer paper after you die cut?

scappermom 07-20-2009 04:01 AM

I can do this !! Thank you for a great idea!

MariLynn 07-20-2009 04:31 AM

Sounds like fun.

Gail Macfadden 07-20-2009 04:43 AM

I have fabric and dies, but no freezer paper. Is there anything else I can use?

Annie's Pantry 07-20-2009 04:46 AM

great challenge..... I want to play later!

Cook22 07-20-2009 04:48 AM

Sounds like good fun. No freezer paper like you have available here, but I think I have some good stiff interfacing, so I'll experiment and hope that it works in the Wizard. Otherwise I'll be resorting to stamping. Which has always bled for me in the past - but I do have spray starch. Thanks for this fun on the menu today, Lynn.

Lynn in St. Louis 07-20-2009 04:49 AM

If you have spray adhesive, you could try that as a way to attach text weight paper to your fabric.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gail Macfadden (Post 14672257)
I have fabric and dies, but no freezer paper. Is there anything else I can use?

NANCYRUTH 07-20-2009 04:49 AM

here is mine we are stardust

Lynn in St. Louis 07-20-2009 04:50 AM

Interfacing may work. I'm anxious to see your results.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cook22 (Post 14672289)
Sounds like good fun. No freezer paper like you have available here, but I think I have some good stiff interfacing, so I'll experiment and hope that it works in the Wizard. Otherwise I'll be resorting to stamping. Which has always bled for me in the past - but I do have spray starch. Thanks for this fun on the menu today, Lynn.

Cook22 07-20-2009 04:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lynn in St. Louis (Post 14672293)
If you have spray adhesive, you could try that as a way to attach text weight paper to your fabric.

Good thought - I certainly do have spray adhesive. Lots of options to try, then. Thanks for that suggestion, Lynn.

princessdi69 07-20-2009 05:38 AM

Here is my Transparent Butterfly Card. I only call it transparent since you can see the flourish behind the butterflies.

I have a roll of Heat & Bond adhesive that I use all the time. YOu can buy this at Joanns.

kellyjg 07-20-2009 05:52 AM

How great is our Lynn?!

Girl, you always have the best ideas coming our way and your are so helpful in explaining so much. THanks! And have a great time away (hoping that you are going somewhere or doing something enjoyable!)

stampinatnight 07-20-2009 05:56 AM

I LOOOOVe this technique! Such a great challenge - thanks Lynn!

OK - so what feels like a 100 hours later, here's mine:

http:////www.splitcoaststampers.com/...9180?cat=10724

Emma F 07-20-2009 06:25 AM

I had such fun making this this morning! Thanks Lynn

Here's my Fabric Flowers

Cook22 07-20-2009 06:28 AM

In the end I seem to have ended up with a Bowl of Peonies. And a lot of fabric still on the floor - have to tidy it away now, maybe keep a few scraps out :D.

marilynprestonn 07-20-2009 06:42 AM

Hello everyone

Here is my entry for another fun challenge. Thanks Lynn, this was so much fun. I loved playing with the fabrics this morning.

I used a square nestie to cut my fabric glued on paper, ( no freezer paper). Worked out pretty good.

Get well soon jammies

Cici510 07-20-2009 07:03 AM

What a fun technique but alas no wax paper and no fabric. :( Can't wait to see all of the awesome creations!!!

Lynn in St. Louis 07-20-2009 07:09 AM

No - not wax paper, FREEZER paper...there is a difference. If you have spray adhesive, you can use that and attached your fabric (which you get from the bag of clothes you were going to donate to charity...lol) to a piece of typing paper.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cici510 (Post 14673300)
What a fun technique but alas no wax paper and no fabric. :( Can't wait to see all of the awesome creations!!!

melissa1872 07-20-2009 07:21 AM

What a great challenge Lynn!

Here is Mine!

Cake and Candles

amyz2988 07-20-2009 07:40 AM

Is parchment paper the same as freezer paper? I have parchment but no freezer...

I'll need to run out to Hobby Lobby to get some fabric... just wondering if I need to stop for the correct paper too?

Lynn in St. Louis 07-20-2009 07:49 AM

No, parchment paper is not the same as freezer paper. Parchment doesn't have any waxy side, which is needed to adhere the paper to the fabric. There are other ways to adhere fabric to paper too, which has been mentioned in the thread.

Quote:

Originally Posted by amyz2988 (Post 14673648)
Is parchment paper the same as freezer paper? I have parchment but no freezer...

I'll need to run out to Hobby Lobby to get some fabric... just wondering if I need to stop for the correct paper too?

stampnsk8r 07-20-2009 07:50 AM

I always look forward to Monday Mornings...the hubby is off to work and I can look up the TLC. As I was looking this morning...I realized it said 7/20...yikes...where has the month gone. I've been soooo busy that I haven't been able to participate. Today I have all day to do nothing but play...and I can't find freezer paper. Went to walmart...and grocery store...and no freezer paper. I'm thinking of going to the meat counter and asking for a few sheets. I'll get back to you on this one. Wish me luck.

Lynn in St. Louis 07-20-2009 07:54 AM

Good luck. You don't even see freezer paper in most of the grocery stores. I believe meat markets still use them, but I haven't seen meat packaged at the grocery store in like FOREVER. The freezer paper is usually located with the plastic wrap and baggies. I hope you find something useful so you can play along. :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by stampnsk8r (Post 14673711)
I always look forward to Monday Mornings...the hubby is off to work and I can look up the TLC. As I was looking this morning...I realized it said 7/20...yikes...where has the month gone. I've been soooo busy that I haven't been able to participate. Today I have all day to do nothing but play...and I can't find freezer paper. Went to walmart...and grocery store...and no freezer paper. I'm thinking of going to the meat counter and asking for a few sheets. I'll get back to you on this one. Wish me luck.

Biggan 07-20-2009 08:54 AM

Thanks for a great technique! Here´s my;

http:////www.splitcoaststampers.com/...&ppuser=125756

TFL!
Birgit

ddaniels 07-20-2009 09:08 AM

I love this technique. My sizzix bigz dies are perfect for this. I never thought to use freezer paper. I used something from Joann's called Craft Fuse. Off to try and will post my creation later. Thanks for a great technique!

mpeet 07-20-2009 09:11 AM

Fabric Flower Card

1 Attachment(s)
This is my first time uploading to a thread, hope it worked! If it did, this is my attempt. I forgot all about this fabric I bought when I first purchased my big shot, thanks for reminding me and for sharing this great technique!

ardodd 07-20-2009 09:12 AM

OHHHH! I sold all my old fabrics in our garage sale! I will have to see what I can dig up! Last time we did a technique that involved the ironing board, I ended up doing 2 hours of ironing. That was the last time that my board was out, so looks like this afternoon I will be at the ironing again! Could you post a technique about every two months or so that involves ironing so that I will keep up? Thanks! This look like a fun technique!!

Lynn in St. Louis 07-20-2009 09:31 AM

BWHAHAHA...funny.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ardodd (Post 14674319)
OHHHH! I sold all my old fabrics in our garage sale! I will have to see what I can dig up! Last time we did a technique that involved the ironing board, I ended up doing 2 hours of ironing. That was the last time that my board was out, so looks like this afternoon I will be at the ironing again! Could you post a technique about every two months or so that involves ironing so that I will keep up? Thanks! This look like a fun technique!!

Stamp Muse 07-20-2009 09:52 AM

Oooh! Great challenge, Lynn! I'd love to play today, but probably not until the weekend!

Thanks for incorporating fabric into your challenge! And I hope you'll be doing something fun during the next 2 weeks!

Lynn in St. Louis 07-20-2009 10:18 AM

Next Monday I leave for CHA in Orlando and since I'd be away the entire week next week, I thought I'd better have someone cover me on my first Monday back to work...you know how it is...when you're away, there are a ton of e-mails, correspondence to process, blah, blah, blah. I haven't decided if it's worth going away because it seems like it's double the work when you get back...lol

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stamp Muse (Post 14674639)
Oooh! Great challenge, Lynn! I'd love to play today, but probably not until the weekend!

Thanks for incorporating fabric into your challenge! And I hope you'll be doing something fun during the next 2 weeks!

cher2008 07-20-2009 10:38 AM

thank you for todays wonderful challenge !!

Here is my notebook for today http:////www.splitcoaststampers.com/...&ppuser=155560

ardodd 07-20-2009 10:55 AM

I found some fabric! Here is my card