Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 04-20-2009, 02:18 PM   #41
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Thanks for the links Faith!

I was LOL at the Copic Warning... "do not spray on people or animals!"

Quote:

Originally Posted by markie's momView Post
OH>>>>>>>>The HANDLE (AIR GRIP) and Air Adapter are the ONLY things needed if you purchase the aircompressor from Harbor Freight.

Here are the links:
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=93657

https://icopic.com/store/product_inf...roducts_id=651
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 04-24-2009, 12:59 AM   #42
Glitter Queen

The copic air compressor is $149 and my copic instructor set hers at 50psi when airbrushing. The one I purchased at Harbor Freight cannot be set at 50psi. I'm wondering though when I order the ABS 3 kit if my markers will work like they do with the copic compressor. Looks like you cannot adjust the PSI on the Harbor Freight one. This is what the Harbor Freight instruction book says:

Turn on the Power Switch and the air compressor will start and work continuously until it reaches its maximum preset pressure which will be approximately 55 PSI at which time it will automatically shut down. It will re-start when the pressure drops to approximately 42 PSI.

I'm wondering if I should take this back to HarborFreight and buy the copic compressor.

Anyone out there that can help me decide.
Old 04-24-2009, 04:32 AM   #43
Stazon Splitcoast

Well I know Markies Mom uses the same one you bought so maybe she can answer your question. I bought the same one but waiting on my airgrip to get here to play.
Old 04-25-2009, 05:38 AM   #44
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by JudkaView Post
The copic air compressor is $149 and my copic instructor set hers at 50psi when airbrushing. The one I purchased at Harbor Freight cannot be set at 50psi. I'm wondering though when I order the ABS 3 kit if my markers will work like they do with the copic compressor. Looks like you cannot adjust the PSI on the Harbor Freight one. This is what the Harbor Freight instruction book says:

Turn on the Power Switch and the air compressor will start and work continuously until it reaches its maximum preset pressure which will be approximately 55 PSI at which time it will automatically shut down. It will re-start when the pressure drops to approximately 42 PSI.

I'm wondering if I should take this back to HarborFreight and buy the copic compressor.

bumping to see if anyone knows
Old 04-26-2009, 05:44 AM   #45
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Did you find out your answer or did you take back the compressor?
Old 04-26-2009, 06:07 AM   #46
Swapper of the Month - January 2014

Default Extension cord?

Hi.

Do any of you use an extension cord with your air compressor? I have emailed this question to the company from which I bought my air compressor, but haven't heard back from them yet.

I have the AC-101 Sparmax Windstorm compressor.

Don't want to electricute myself or burn the house down airbrushing clouds
Old 04-27-2009, 06:57 PM   #47
Crimping Master

Based on the info given by Markies Mom, I went ahead and ordered the compressor from HF. It works like a charm! I cant imagine needing anymore than 40 PSI. It is such fun I have been spraying everything that isnt nailed down. Based on my limited experience a larger compressor would be overkill.

Holly

BLOG : The Papercraft Place

You Tube: kelley3684
Guest Designer for "Midnight Madness"
Old 04-27-2009, 09:00 PM   #48
Glitter Queen

Quote:

Originally Posted by jenjoy71View Post
Did you find out your answer or did you take back the compressor?
I took the compressor back. I was so confused about the compressor I decided to return it and not take it all apart and use it and find out it doesn't work. Right now I'm just not going to purchase one unless I can get the copic one when I can find an extra $149. I sure appreciate everyone's input.
Old 04-28-2009, 03:13 AM   #49
Speedy the Cat did WHAT?

Quote:

Originally Posted by planet43View Post
Based on the info given by Markies Mom, I went ahead and ordered the compressor from HF. It works like a charm! I cant imagine needing anymore than 40 PSI. It is such fun I have been spraying everything that isnt nailed down. Based on my limited experience a larger compressor would be overkill.

Holly
Holly, I have had no problems with mine, either! As a matter of fact, all 19 of my current Copic Students purchased the ABS-3 set thru iCopic.com and the Harbor Frieght airbrush compressor. They are all VERY happy, have no shut off problems, GREAT control over the "spray" etc.

I have tried the compressor from Copic. It is big, heavy, and NOT good for me. I especially LOVE the fact that I don't have to worry about regulating the HF compressor.
Old 04-28-2009, 03:16 AM   #50
Speedy the Cat did WHAT?

I use mine with a "computer" surge protector strip. That way, there is a "breaker" that will trip if the electricity goes out or spikes. I have NOT had that problem, but, better safe than sorry!.
Quote:

Originally Posted by QueenOfInklandView Post
Hi.

Do any of you use an extension cord with your air compressor? I have emailed this question to the company from which I bought my air compressor, but haven't heard back from them yet.

I have the AC-101 Sparmax Windstorm compressor.

Don't want to electricute myself or burn the house down airbrushing clouds
Old 04-28-2009, 03:17 AM   #51
Speedy the Cat did WHAT?

Quote:

Well I know Markies Mom uses the same one you bought so maybe she can answer your question. I bought the same one but waiting on my airgrip to get here to play.
We PM'd back and forth MANY times. She chose to return hers.

However, I'm so glad you are getting one! YOU WILL LOVE IT!
Old 04-28-2009, 04:33 AM   #52
Glitter Queen

Thank you so much for your input. I had the larger size compressor from Harbor Freight that I returned. On this smaller one (40psi) that you recommend, do you just hook up the ABS3 attachment, insert your marker and start spraying. That's it...easy, peasy. It doesn't shut off before you are done with your background? Why does copic recommend you spray at 50 psi? If all of your students use this one I think it would be a good investment and a huge saving over the copic one. So now looks like I'll have to make another trip to Harbor Freight.
Old 04-28-2009, 05:21 AM   #53
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

We PM'd back and forth MANY times. She chose to return hers.

However, I'm so glad you are getting one! YOU WILL LOVE IT!
Yeah I think this will work good for me. I just cant wait to play!! Thanks!! You are so great to keep answering everyones questions
Old 04-29-2009, 08:20 AM   #54
Speedy the Cat did WHAT?

Quote:

Thank you so much for your input. I had the larger size compressor from Harbor Freight that I returned. On this smaller one (40psi) that you recommend, do you just hook up the ABS3 attachment, insert your marker and start spraying. That's it...easy, peasy. It doesn't shut off before you are done with your background? Why does copic recommend you spray at 50 psi? If all of your students use this one I think it would be a good investment and a huge saving over the copic one. So now looks like I'll have to make another trip to Harbor Freight.

I use a LOWER PSI because I get BETTER CONTROL of ink to paper flow.

OH...and remember, the more PSI, the faster the ink blows off the tip, the more INK blows off, the sooner you have to refill your marker!

I just hooked the Air Adapter to the hand grip and the hose from the air compressor to the Air Adapter, plugged the air compressor into the surge protector, (I had one already!) and started spraying...I HAVE NEVER HAD THE MACHINE CUT OFF..... I HAVE USED IT FOR 7 MINUTES STRAIGHT, AND IT DID NOT SHUT OFF...

Now, I do NOT suggest you use this machine 8 hours a day, 7 days a week. However, for CARD MAKING, it's PERFECT! I use it, on average, 3 minutes at a time... 4 or 5 times a day.
Old 04-29-2009, 08:23 AM   #55
Speedy the Cat did WHAT?

Quote:

Yeah I think this will work good for me. I just cant wait to play!! Thanks!! You are so great to keep answering everyones questions

No problem! I wish I owned stock in Harbor Freight! LOL! They really are selling this compressor at a GREAT price!
Old 04-29-2009, 09:51 AM   #56
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

I use a LOWER PSI because I get BETTER CONTROL of ink to paper flow.

OH...and remember, the more PSI, the faster the ink blows off the tip, the more INK blows off, the sooner you have to refill your marker!

I just hooked the Air Adapter to the hand grip and the hose from the air compressor to the Air Adapter, plugged the air compressor into the surge protector, (I had one already!) and started spraying...I HAVE NEVER HAD THE MACHINE CUT OFF..... I HAVE USED IT FOR 7 MINUTES STRAIGHT, AND IT DID NOT SHUT OFF...

Now, I do NOT suggest you use this machine 8 hours a day, 7 days a week. However, for CARD MAKING, it's PERFECT! I use it, on average, 3 minutes at a time... 4 or 5 times a day.
Hey if you are worried you will "burn up" your compressor you can always get the Harbor Freight extended warranty.. I think it was something like 5.99 for the year. haha I didnt get it though.
Old 04-29-2009, 11:59 AM   #57
Glitter Queen

You should own stock. I called the Lansing, Michigan store and they are all out and they said the warehouse was out too. Tell a stamping girl about a great product and it's sold out and time to order more. Thanks again.
Old 04-30-2009, 05:03 AM   #58
Matboard Maniac

Default My thoughts on the compressors

I am Copic Certified and have been using my compressor and airbrush for almost 2 years now. I have the Sparmax AC-100 that Copic recommends, I paid $149 for it. I set my regulator at 50psi and if you check out my blogs, my scenic one in particular you will see it works wonderfully.
Yesterday I played with this model from Harbor Freight
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...5630&Submit=Go
it runs until it hits 55psi, then kicks off until the pressure hits 42psi, then starts back up. I had no problems with it, my airbrushing was just as smooth as the model I own that you can set the psi and get continuous air.
My thoughts on the smaller model that Markies Mom has, is if you will be using this a lot, as I do, you are running this machine full tilt at its maximum all the time. I wonder how long it will last as this would seem to stress the motor out. It is only rated for a max of 40psi, which is the minimum that Copic suggest for use with the markers.
As far as control of spray, that is done with the trigger rather than the psi. The harder you press on the trigger, the more air is delivered. I work with very light pressure and short bursts of air, pulling the handle toward me. If you exert a lot of pressure and extended bursts of air, all you are doing is drying out the tip and wasting ink.
Also, you use less ink with the air brush system than you do direct to paper with the markers. If you use a marker in the airbrush and don't seem to be getting good coverage, adjust the chisel tip. They are inserted in a factory and sometimes they are in too far, sometimes they are out too far. If you get a lot of overspray (lots of small dots outside your spraying area) your marker is probably overfilled, take the other cap off as you use it. This will create suction within the barrel and slow the ink delivery.
These are just my thoughts, the bottom line is that if it works for you, great. Hope it helps. Sandy
Old 04-30-2009, 05:25 AM   #59
Stazon Splitcoast

Sandy all I can say is WOW!!!!!!!!!!!! Your cards are absolutely AMAZING!!!! I wish I lived by you to take some classes.. Love your work!
Old 04-30-2009, 05:50 AM   #60
Matboard Maniac

Thank you, Jennifer. I do teach Beginners and Advanced Copic classes as well as scenic stamping in the mid-Michigan area. I am glad you enjoyed my work. Copics make it so easy to create works of art!
Sandy
Old 04-30-2009, 02:25 PM   #61
Speedy the Cat did WHAT?

Okay..I defer to Sandy.

One last thing, as I have said MANY of the posts, I use my Copic Airbrush a total of 5 minutes at a time. I do not create scenes like Sandy. I have RA, and can not REGULATE the trigger with various pressure. I have to move the brush back and forth to create my scenes.

The compressor I use is fine by me, works great, and I have gotten my money's worth in it's first month's of use, as the cans cost $15 each, and after 5...well, YOU DO THE MATH! LOL!

Have a great day, everyone!
Old 04-30-2009, 06:24 PM   #62
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Okay..I defer to Sandy.

One last thing, as I have said MANY of the posts, I use my Copic Airbrush a total of 5 minutes at a time. I do not create scenes like Sandy. I have RA, and can not REGULATE the trigger with various pressure. I have to move the brush back and forth to create my scenes.

The compressor I use is fine by me, works great, and I have gotten my money's worth in it's first month's of use, as the cans cost $15 each, and after 5...well, YOU DO THE MATH! LOL!

Have a great day, everyone!
Faith

Hey thats great to know it way easy to you!! I have RA too... actually having a flare up in my right hand tonight and its hard to type... so I am happy to know its easy to work with. You're the best for answering all the questions and I think the compressor you showed us is GREAT for normal airbrushing!! LOVE IT!
Old 04-30-2009, 06:48 PM   #63
Speedy the Cat did WHAT?

Quote:

Faith

Hey thats great to know it way easy to you!! I have RA too... actually having a flare up in my right hand tonight and its hard to type... so I am happy to know its easy to work with. You're the best for answering all the questions and I think the compressor you showed us is GREAT for normal airbrushing!! LOVE IT!

I think you will see how easy it is to use....I have used the other, FROM COPIC...I had a difficult time with the 50 psi...I'm totally happy with the 40 psi, and haven't REFILLED A MARKER YET!
Old 05-01-2009, 07:07 PM   #64
Embossing Fanatic

Thumbs up Just making sure

Hi I want to get this right I live in florida so tommorow I'm going to get compressor then what do I need? and I get those items from icopic? I'm a newbee and I'm going to find certification classes so I want to get it now and save money. I use to have one when I did air brushing on nails and it was so loud, glad to hear this one isn't thanks so much for your time and the thoughtfulness you show us with your TALENT! God Bless!
Old 05-02-2009, 12:46 AM   #65
Polyshrink Goddess

Thanks for all the great info here!
Old 05-02-2009, 06:39 AM   #66
Stampin' Fool

I have one and I hooked it up to my husbands air compressor. It can regulate to QUITE a lot, but I use it at 40 psi. The only problem - - OMG it is LOUD. It kicks on and off when the reserve tank pressure drops and every time I jump. It cracks my husband up to no end. It seems to work really well.
Old 05-02-2009, 06:46 AM   #67
Speedy the Cat did WHAT?

Quote:

Originally Posted by suziscrapinView Post
Hi I want to get this right I live in florida so tommorow I'm going to get compressor then what do I need? and I get those items from icopic? I'm a newbee and I'm going to find certification classes so I want to get it now and save money. I use to have one when I did air brushing on nails and it was so loud, glad to hear this one isn't thanks so much for your time and the thoughtfulness you show us with your TALENT! God Bless!
You will need the ABS-3 set up with the Air Compressor from Harbour Frieght. If you read through this thread you'll see all sorts of questions answered. There is one woman who uses her compressor for hours at a time. This compressor is not made for that kind of use. It is small, mostly quiet, inexpensive, and light weight. (These are all MY observations, considering the other options out there...) I don't work for ANY of the companies involved, so I don't have an agenda. I also don't get a "commission" on sales. Some instructors do...I do NOT. I just LOVE to get a GREAT deal, and I LOVE to share it with others!
Old 05-05-2009, 03:29 PM   #68
Crimping Master

OK......now that I'm hopelessly addicted to airbrushing, how do you get the spray off your
hands! And is there a trick or technique to NOT spraying your hand when trying to keep your item from blowing away?

Thanks for all help!

Holly

Old 05-05-2009, 03:52 PM   #69
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

OK......now that I'm hopelessly addicted to airbrushing, how do you get the spray off your
hands! And is there a trick or technique to NOT spraying your hand when trying to keep your item from blowing away?
At our Copic Certification class a couple of weeks ago, it was mentioned that Hand Sanitizer will clean the ink off your hands due to it being alcohol based!

Also, Just get a pencil and use the eraser end to hold down what you are airbrushing on whatever surface you are spraying toward.
Old 05-05-2009, 04:00 PM   #70
Matboard Maniac

Default How to clean up Copic ink

When I airbrush things like gems or flowers, I just put a little bit of 2-sided sticky tape down on some paper and stick my item down to it. Then I just turn the paper and airbrush all the sides.
If I am airbrushing a brad of some sort, I stick it into the dense foam pieces that the fancier brads are packaged with. But a piece of styrofoam will work just as well.
And yes, any alcohol based hand sanitizer will remove ink from your hands as well as most surfaces. I find I have to clean the inside of my air grip every so often too. I just dip a q-tip into my sanitizer and scrub away.
Hope this helps. Sandy
Old 05-05-2009, 04:06 PM   #71
Rubber Obsessor

Subscribing becausde my compressor is being shipped right now by Harbor Freight - I need to be prepared when it arrives. Thanks for all the great guidance, including tips on what kind of compressor to order.

Megan
Old 05-05-2009, 05:23 PM   #72
Crimping Master

Thanks everyone!....and esp. for the tip about cleaning the inside of the airgrip!

Holly

Old 05-15-2009, 06:24 PM   #73
Mad Swapper

Thank you Faith for your info...I got one for Mother's Day. I seriously LOVE this thing. I paid full price but it was worth it. I have played with it a little tonight but already know that I'm addicted. It is the cutest thing sitting on my craft table...I'm going to be an airbrushing fool! Yippeee!!
Old 05-15-2009, 06:26 PM   #74
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by sgtStamperView Post
Thanks for the links Faith!

I was LOL at the Copic Warning... "do not spray on people or animals!"

I saw this too and cracked up...just think of the incident that prompted this warning! Kidding, but really, that's a funny warning.
Old 05-15-2009, 10:06 PM   #75
Compulsive Stamper

Default Where are tutorials on using the copic airbrush system?

Dear Markie's Mom,

I looked over you blog - lovely cards, but I cannot find any tutorials? What am I doing wrong? Thanks Darlene
Old 05-16-2009, 12:28 PM   #76
Kookie Creator

Subscribing for info.
Thanks

Fan Club Member
Old 05-16-2009, 12:42 PM   #77
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by darleneaView Post
Dear Markie's Mom,

I looked over you blog - lovely cards, but I cannot find any tutorials? What am I doing wrong? Thanks Darlene

Not Markie's Mom, but here you go

http://stampinwithmarkiesmom.blogspo...ush%20Tutorial
Old 05-16-2009, 01:46 PM   #78
Gabfest Goddess

I just bought one this morning! I can't wait to play with it!

Be polite to those who are rude to you. Not because they are nice, but because you are.
Old 05-16-2009, 02:01 PM   #79
Compulsive Stamper

Smile To Markies Mom re Blog

I just read through all your tutorials and learned a lot - I loved seeing the pictures at the various stages. Thanks for taking the time to share. Darlene
Old 05-16-2009, 04:16 PM   #80
Crimping Master

Yep! Markies Mom doe amazing things...her blog is wonderful.