In the Forums

Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter





Previous Issues

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads


 
Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-07-2019, 11:16 PM   #1
Rubber Obsessor
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Staten Island, New York
Posts: 102
Default WRMK Precision Press Advanced-- not for cling rubber?

Hi all, I recently purchased a WRMK Precision Press Advanced and Typeset Stamping Block at Tuesday Morning. I was hemming and hawing if I needed it because I already have two other positioners (had two more, one sold and another about to be). So why did I buy it? For the typeset ability. This intrigued me and the possibility of using it for turning about (thought maybe I could use this to do kaleidoscope stamping).

However, the problem is, the space between the plate and the base is the same as a cling mounted stamp, so when you place your acrylic block down, you are already touching the page, not pressing to get an image. This is true even when the WRMK foam insert is removed. I also get overstamping, especially with the foam added, that I haven't gotten with other positioners.

I want to love this, but I just don't know. The typeset plate doesn't have this problem as there is no foam on the stamps, but it doesn't work as well without the precision press. I don't know if I want to keep these two items just for the typeset ability. I have the making memories magnetic typeset kit with several fonts. If only the letters didn't move, or get scrambled when the tray gets knocked about, it'd be perfect.

Has anyone else had an issue using cling rubber with the WRMK precision press? Is it a learning curve?

I also was hoping to be able to move the acrylic block over pegs, but because of the placement of the rubber feet, it won't allow for it. Disappointing. That would have made it novel and a worthy investment. I'm also hoping WRMK adds additional stamp fonts to the lineup, but if they don't, that would render this a costly uni-tasker.

Thanks for the rant,
Doreen
Gdoreen is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 09:46 AM   #2
Mad Swapper
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Tennessee USA
Posts: 1,703
Default

That's weird--I have this press and I've never had that problem, maybe because as I'm lowering the plate I'm already starting to press down? I think stamps can vary in thickness — have you tried different stamps on it?

Also, the top allows for multiple positions for stamps (2?3?) with "feet" down--and then I've also flipped it over and also used the "back" for at least 2 more layers.

I think this video gives a great demonstration:

Last edited by poppydarling; 10-08-2019 at 10:05 AM..
poppydarling is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
bjeans likes this post.
Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 11:01 AM   #3
Rubber Obsessor
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Staten Island, New York
Posts: 102
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydarling View Post
That's weird--I have this press and I've never had that problem, maybe because as I'm lowering the plate I'm already starting to press down? I think stamps can vary in thickness — have you tried different stamps on it?

Also, the top allows for multiple positions for stamps (2?3?) with "feet" down--and then I've also flipped it over and also used the "back" for at least 2 more layers.


I think this video gives a great demonstration:
Thanks for the video, but at 14:06, Alexandria states that there is no need to even press down because a rubber cling stamp is already making contact with the paper when placed on the Precision Press, so sadly, it seems thickness of rubber doesn't play much of a role. The rubber feet just aren't thick enough to let the cling rubber hover over the paper.
Gdoreen is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 11:28 AM   #4
Mad Swapper
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Tennessee USA
Posts: 1,703
Default

guess you have to treat it like cling rubber in the Misti -- as soon as you lower the lid you are pressing the stamp down…
poppydarling is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 04:33 PM   #5
Hardware Hotshot
 
Scrapjanny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: The City That Never Sleeps
Posts: 4,621
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gdoreen View Post
Hi all, I recently purchased a WRMK Precision Press Advanced and Typeset Stamping Block at Tuesday Morning. I was hemming and hawing if I needed it because I already have two other positioners (had two more, one sold and another about to be). So why did I buy it? For the typeset ability. This intrigued me and the possibility of using it for turning about (thought maybe I could use this to do kaleidoscope stamping).

However, the problem is, the space between the plate and the base is the same as a cling mounted stamp, so when you place your acrylic block down, you are already touching the page, not pressing to get an image. This is true even when the WRMK foam insert is removed. I also get overstamping, especially with the foam added, that I haven't gotten with other positioners.

I want to love this, but I just don't know. The typeset plate doesn't have this problem as there is no foam on the stamps, but it doesn't work as well without the precision press. I don't know if I want to keep these two items just for the typeset ability. I have the making memories magnetic typeset kit with several fonts. If only the letters didn't move, or get scrambled when the tray gets knocked about, it'd be perfect.

Has anyone else had an issue using cling rubber with the WRMK precision press? Is it a learning curve?

I also was hoping to be able to move the acrylic block over pegs, but because of the placement of the rubber feet, it won't allow for it. Disappointing. That would have made it novel and a worthy investment. I'm also hoping WRMK adds additional stamp fonts to the lineup, but if they don't, that would render this a costly uni-tasker.

Thanks for the rant,
Doreen

You could remove the foam from the rubber stamp and use it that way.
Scrapjanny is online now  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 07:42 PM   #6
Rubber Obsessor
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Staten Island, New York
Posts: 102
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydarling View Post
guess you have to treat it like cling rubber in the Misti -- as soon as you lower the lid you are pressing the stamp down…
Yes, I think so. Oh well, thanks.
Gdoreen is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
poppydarling likes this post.
Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 07:45 PM   #7
Rubber Obsessor
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Staten Island, New York
Posts: 102
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapjanny View Post
You could remove the foam from the rubber stamp and use it that way.
Scrapjanny, oh but all that money on Ezmount . Plus, I do actually love the cling foam. It gives a nicer image, I feel, and I like the way the stamp handles better than naked rubber.
Gdoreen is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 03:46 AM   #8
Hardware Hotshot
 
Scrapjanny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: The City That Never Sleeps
Posts: 4,621
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gdoreen View Post
Scrapjanny, oh but all that money on Ezmount . Plus, I do actually love the cling foam. It gives a nicer image, I feel, and I like the way the stamp handles better than naked rubber.
I guess you'll have to get used to it then. If you put the foam mat under the paper, you really don't need the foam on the stamp. Either way, I'm sure you'll make it work.
Scrapjanny is online now  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Gdoreen likes this post.
Reply With Quote
Reply





Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off