In the Forums

Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter





Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads


 
Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-12-2010, 05:52 PM   #41
Hardware Hotshot
 
mstowers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Greatgrandma Land
Posts: 4,670
Default

Quote:

Originally Posted by arlenevitaView Post
I choice Sketches because they feel nice in my hand and because they don't roll. They may have more color choices, too, I think.
Yes, I like the feel of the Sketches also.........just getting into them and I am learning alot.
I will be taking a class soon and I am looking forward to that.
mstowers is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 11:05 PM   #42
Rubber Obsessor
 
jogrybali's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: I live since 2004 in Bali, living in Paradise
Posts: 170
Send a message via Skype™ to jogrybali
Default

What do you think about prisma markers?
jogrybali is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 03:53 AM   #43
Hardware Hotshot
 
mstowers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Greatgrandma Land
Posts: 4,670
Default

Quote:

Originally Posted by jogrybaliView Post
What do you think about prisma markers?
I have never used Prisma markers, but those that have really like them. They are less expensive than the Copics.
I work alot with Alcohol Inks and I guess I got turned on to the Copics because of that reason. (They are Alcohol ink based), I don't know if the Prisma markers are or not.
mstowers is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 09:41 AM   #44
Rubber Obsessor
 
rfrale11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 115
Default

Quote:

Originally Posted by thescrapmasterView Post
I don't think they are better, I think they are just different than other coloring mediums. I happen to love them AND I love my Stampin' UP Markers and my Stampin' UP Watercolor crayons. They all give a little different effect, PLUS with the SU markers, you can color directly on your stamps and you can't do that with Copics. I think BOTH are great!
I agree, they are just different, but that they are a cost saver in the end. The one thing that I don't like about the Stampin Up markers is that tips doesn't stay nice pointed for very long. Always having to spend more $$$ to keep replacing them. I also find that the fine tip end is usually dried up before you can use it.
rfrale11 is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 07:41 PM   #45
Hardware Hotshot
 
mstowers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Greatgrandma Land
Posts: 4,670
Default

Quote:

Originally Posted by rfrale11View Post
I agree, they are just different, but that they are a cost saver in the end. The one thing that I don't like about the Stampin Up markers is that tips doesn't stay nice pointed for very long. Always having to spend more $$$ to keep replacing them. I also find that the fine tip end is usually dried up before you can use it.
I have not had problems with them drying up------the trick is to keep them laying flat, not standing up. And for the tips, my SU demo says to color from the side of the tip not directly on the tip--that helps them stay pointed.
mstowers is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 11:50 AM   #46
Glitter Guru
 
kspiv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: central Illinois
Posts: 5,580
Default

I just picked up a few Ciao markers at a local scrap/stamp store and am very excited to try them. I picked up 3 different greens, 3 different purples and 3 different pinks and 1 yellow, 1 blender and 1 fine lined black pen. I have been wanting to try them for a while now so I thought "why not?!" I have loved seeing everyones coloring with them. They are beautiful!
__________________
Kelly, Hello Sunshine Studio
www.facebook.com/HelloSunshineStudio217/
kspiv is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 06:54 PM   #47
Hardware Hotshot
 
mstowers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Greatgrandma Land
Posts: 4,670
Default

Quote:

Originally Posted by kspivView Post
I just picked up a few Ciao markers at a local scrap/stamp store and am very excited to try them. I picked up 3 different greens, 3 different purples and 3 different pinks and 1 yellow, 1 blender and 1 fine lined black pen. I have been wanting to try them for a while now so I thought "why not?!" I have loved seeing everyones coloring with them. They are beautiful!
Have fun Kelly---let us know what you think.
mstowers is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 08:02 AM   #48
Glitter Guru
 
kspiv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: central Illinois
Posts: 5,580
Default

I sure will! Hoping to get to play this weekend!
__________________
Kelly, Hello Sunshine Studio
www.facebook.com/HelloSunshineStudio217/
kspiv is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 07:05 PM   #49
Rubber Obsessor
 
jogrybali's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: I live since 2004 in Bali, living in Paradise
Posts: 170
Send a message via Skype™ to jogrybali
Default

Need some advice. If I decide to buy copics, which shall I buy?
Thanks,
Jogry/bali
jogrybali is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 07:22 PM   #50
Gabfest Goddess
 
arlenevita's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: CNY but I'd rather be in Bonaire snorkeling!
Posts: 7,651
Default

Sketches, IMO.
__________________
Arlene, The Snorkeler Stamp with us in Ilion in 2021 and Wysox, PA Nov. 13, 2021!!!
arlenevita is online now  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 07:49 PM   #51
Hardware Hotshot
 
mstowers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Greatgrandma Land
Posts: 4,670
Default

It is suggested that you buy 3 shades of one color, when you do buy them.
So if your buying blue , green and yellow for instance--buy 3 close shades of the color. I didn't understand why but learned that it is best for shading the colors. I hope this makes sense--
mstowers is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 08:53 PM   #52
Rubber Obsessor
 
jogrybali's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: I live since 2004 in Bali, living in Paradise
Posts: 170
Send a message via Skype™ to jogrybali
Smile copics

Thanks for your reply re my question. Living in Bali therefore I have to buy more than 3 of each colour. Freight and the use of my credit card will become to expensive. All I have to do now is safe the money.
Jogry/bali
jogrybali is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 09:23 PM   #53
Rubber Obsessor
 
jogrybali's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: I live since 2004 in Bali, living in Paradise
Posts: 170
Send a message via Skype™ to jogrybali
Default

thanks very much
jogrybali is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 06:03 AM   #54
Kookie Creator
 
eyestitch's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Iowa
Posts: 466
Default

When I buy 3 of one color, should they be three consecutive numbers or are consecutive numbers too close to the same color to be of value for blending?
eyestitch is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 07:46 AM   #55
Pearl-ExPert
 
Colleen Schaan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Atlanta Baby!!!
Posts: 2,291
Default

Quote:

Originally Posted by eyestitchView Post
When I buy 3 of one color, should they be three consecutive numbers or are consecutive numbers too close to the same color to be of value for blending?
If you want to buy 3 colors from a blending family that will work well together you will want to buy all three with the same letter (color group), the same first number (saturation) and then two or three digits different in the last number (shade)...

Like R22/R24/R27 would work well.

The key is to remember that the numbers are NOT one number as in "twenty-seven" but two separate numbers as in "two" and "seven"

So you don't want to think "consecutive" because R27/R32 are not from the same blending family.

Make sense?
__________________
Colleen Schaan - Education Specialist at Imagination International Inc.,/Copic Marker
Blog
- Distinctive Touches; My Copic Books!

Colleen Schaan is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 04:14 PM   #56
Hardware Hotshot
 
mstowers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Greatgrandma Land
Posts: 4,670
Default

Quote:

Originally Posted by Colleen SchaanView Post
If you want to buy 3 colors from a blending family that will work well together you will want to buy all three with the same letter (color group), the same first number (saturation) and then two or three digits different in the last number (shade)...

Like R22/R24/R27 would work well.

The key is to remember that the numbers are NOT one number as in "twenty-seven" but two separate numbers as in "two" and "seven"

So you don't want to think "consecutive" because R27/R32 are not from the same blending family.

Make sense?
Thanks!! I didn't know that---maybe that is why it didn't make sense to me at first.
mstowers is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 09:00 AM   #57
Glitter Queen
 
2nu2no's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Maplewood, MO
Posts: 21
Default

Quote:

Originally Posted by micalela1View Post
Where is a good place to buy Copic markers?
Are you near a Hobby Lobby?
When they have a sale on artist's supplies, it usually includes markers and that is how I am building my collection. I also use their 30% off coupon (I take my hubbie with me and make hime use one too!).
2nu2no is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 09:01 AM   #58
Glitter Queen
 
2nu2no's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Maplewood, MO
Posts: 21
Default

Quote:

Originally Posted by mstowersView Post
Thanks!! I didn't know that---maybe that is why it didn't make sense to me at first.
Great info to share!
Thanks
2nu2no is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 08:18 PM   #59
Rubber Obsessor
 
jogrybali's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: I live since 2004 in Bali, living in Paradise
Posts: 170
Send a message via Skype™ to jogrybali
Default craftshops

Good morning from bali.
There are no craftshops here in Bali.
Have a nice day,
Jogry/bali
jogrybali is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 08:48 PM   #60
Polyshrink Goddess
 
Scamper64's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Hoping to be hiding out in my crafting room!!!
Posts: 621
Default

Just this past week I took a Copic 102 class at a local stamping store. In this class, we did directly color the rubber on the stamp with the Copic markers. It dries very quickly and it wasn't easy to see where you had colored since one of the colors we were using was considerably lighter than the red rubber. Anyway, we had one of the mini mister thingys filled with the Copic Blending Solution. After we finished coloring the stamp, we sprayed it with the mister and then stamped the image onto the cardstock. It looked lovely and created a bit of a watercolor effect.

Just thought I'd share . . .
__________________
Kim
Scamper64 is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 11:15 PM   #61
Rubber Obsessor
 
jogrybali's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: I live since 2004 in Bali, living in Paradise
Posts: 170
Send a message via Skype™ to jogrybali
Default copic class

Thanks for sharing.
Have a nice day,
Jogry/bali
jogrybali is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 12:26 PM   #62
Glitter Guru
 
kspiv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: central Illinois
Posts: 5,580
Default

Quote:

Originally Posted by Colleen SchaanView Post
If you want to buy 3 colors from a blending family that will work well together you will want to buy all three with the same letter (color group), the same first number (saturation) and then two or three digits different in the last number (shade)...

Like R22/R24/R27 would work well.

The key is to remember that the numbers are NOT one number as in "twenty-seven" but two separate numbers as in "two" and "seven"

So you don't want to think "consecutive" because R27/R32 are not from the same blending family.

Make sense?
Oh my word! Thank you for telling me this!! I think I really need to read up on the Copics stuff more!

I have a couple of questions that I would be eternally grateful if all you copic experts could help me out with....

I bought some Ciaos at the local stamp store. That is what they carried. I bought a blender pen along with it and a fine black outlining pen because I had been wanting one of those anyways....but our Hobby Lobby carries another kind (Sketch, I think). Sooooo...
1) what is the difference? Are the colors different? Do they carry colors in only the Ciaos and different colors in only the Sketch?

2) And can those markers be used in conjunction, meaning can I own both Ciaos and Sketches and color with them both on the same stamped image?

3) If you own both, do the #s mean the same things on both brands...meaning color family, saturation, color shade.

4) Do many of you just buy 1 type of marker or do you mix it up and buy Ciaos and Sketches and the other kind (cant remember what its called)?

5) Do you try to stay with just a 2 or 3 point difference in shades when you buy 3 colors to use together? Or do you sometimes go for more variations...up to 5 or so shades difference?

6) Do you keep a list of what you own as far as colors and take that with you when you shop? I am scared of doubling up on the same markers! LOL

7) In all seriousness, can 3 shades of the same color be enough or have you gone crazy and bought them all?

8) Will 1 blender pen be enough? Does the pen get stained and do I have to "color off" like you do a Stampin Up blender pen to release the color on it?

9) Do you color dark to light or light to dark?

Okay, that ought to help me for right now....LOL
__________________
Kelly, Hello Sunshine Studio
www.facebook.com/HelloSunshineStudio217/

Last edited by kspiv; 03-22-2010 at 12:31 PM..
kspiv is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 05:02 PM   #63
Pearl-ExPert
 
Colleen Schaan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Atlanta Baby!!!
Posts: 2,291
Default

LOL...lots of great questions... I'll see what I can do to answer some!

The different "types" Ciao, Sketch, Original all have the same ink and are completely interchangable...so you can have some Sketch and some Ciao if you want... the numbering system is the same for all of the markers. (The difference is just the barrel shape/size and the nibs (different nibs on the Original).

If you are just starting out.. you do want to stick with a 2-3 digit difference in the last number. It will be easier to blend. Once you get the hang of it and master the technique.. then you can start playing around with the blends and experimenting... but if you go to big a range to start with you will probably get frustrated.

You can download a blank color chart (print it on the cardstock that you will be using for coloring) directly from the Copic site HERE.

I personally have them all! LOL But I told my husband it's because it's my job!

One blender marker will be enough. They are refillable and to clean the nib you just rub it onto scrap paper... if for some reason the nib does get stained.. you can replace the nib!

There are different ways to color... but in the certification classes we teach light to dark... as part of the key to using Alcohol Ink markers is to saturate the paper to help blend the colors.

Keep learning... there is a LOT of information out there about Copics... have fun, practice and learn... and keep coloring!

Hugs!
colleen


Quote:

Originally Posted by kspivView Post
Oh my word! Thank you for telling me this!! I think I really need to read up on the Copics stuff more!

I have a couple of questions that I would be eternally grateful if all you copic experts could help me out with....

I bought some Ciaos at the local stamp store. That is what they carried. I bought a blender pen along with it and a fine black outlining pen because I had been wanting one of those anyways....but our Hobby Lobby carries another kind (Sketch, I think). Sooooo...
1) what is the difference? Are the colors different? Do they carry colors in only the Ciaos and different colors in only the Sketch?

2) And can those markers be used in conjunction, meaning can I own both Ciaos and Sketches and color with them both on the same stamped image?

3) If you own both, do the #s mean the same things on both brands...meaning color family, saturation, color shade.

4) Do many of you just buy 1 type of marker or do you mix it up and buy Ciaos and Sketches and the other kind (cant remember what its called)?

5) Do you try to stay with just a 2 or 3 point difference in shades when you buy 3 colors to use together? Or do you sometimes go for more variations...up to 5 or so shades difference?

6) Do you keep a list of what you own as far as colors and take that with you when you shop? I am scared of doubling up on the same markers! LOL

7) In all seriousness, can 3 shades of the same color be enough or have you gone crazy and bought them all?

Will 1 blender pen be enough? Does the pen get stained and do I have to "color off" like you do a Stampin Up blender pen to release the color on it?

9) Do you color dark to light or light to dark?

Okay, that ought to help me for right now....LOL
__________________
Colleen Schaan - Education Specialist at Imagination International Inc.,/Copic Marker
Blog
- Distinctive Touches; My Copic Books!

Colleen Schaan is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 06:46 PM   #64
Kookie Creator
 
eyestitch's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Iowa
Posts: 466
Default

Forgive me if this question has already been answered, but since the paper needs to be saturated (which, by the way, is very good information for me) does it matter what brand of paper you use?
eyestitch is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 11:43 AM   #65
Glitter Guru
 
kspiv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: central Illinois
Posts: 5,580
Default

Colleen...you freaking ROCK! Thank you so much for answering all my questions!! =)
Hugs back to you and I am so excited to give these a try!!! I can tell l am going to have a new addiction....ugh! LOL
__________________
Kelly, Hello Sunshine Studio
www.facebook.com/HelloSunshineStudio217/
kspiv is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 05:38 PM   #66
Compulsive Stamper
 
sugarstamper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Houston area
Posts: 35
Default

I prefer Tria markers to the Copic. I have never been fortunate enough to take any classes in the use of any of these markers, so your results may be better than mine. I have been using the Trias for probably about 15 years. They are also alcohol based. I prefer the nibs--that is really the main reason I like them better, and I think they hold more ink so don't need to be refilled as soon. However, they have changed their design and I may not be able to get the bottles of ink any longer to refil my old-style pens as they are now replacing a "barrel" inside the pen. I have probably 150 or more pens, so it is was a big investment. Looking on the internet I see another brand now, called Tri Art that sound about the same but are a little less expensive So now I have yet another option and am totally confused as what I should do now!
__________________
Beverly

http://sugarstamper.blogspot.com/
sugarstamper is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 07:24 PM   #67
Hardware Hotshot
 
mstowers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Greatgrandma Land
Posts: 4,670
Default

Quote:

Originally Posted by [email protected]View Post
I prefer Tria markers to the Copic. I have never been fortunate enough to take any classes in the use of any of these markers, so your results may be better than mine. I have been using the Trias for probably about 15 years. They are also alcohol based. I prefer the nibs--that is really the main reason I like them better, and I think they hold more ink so don't need to be refilled as soon. However, they have changed their design and I may not be able to get the bottles of ink any longer to refil my old-style pens as they are now replacing a "barrel" inside the pen. I have probably 150 or more pens, so it is was a big investment. Looking on the internet I see another brand now, called Tri Art that sound about the same but are a little less expensive So now I have yet another option and am totally confused as what I should do now!
I have not heard of the Tria or the Tri Art. Isn't it amazing how many new things come out on the market all the time??? LOL
mstowers is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 06:41 AM   #68
Pearl-ExPert
 
Colleen Schaan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Atlanta Baby!!!
Posts: 2,291
Default

Quote:

Originally Posted by eyestitchView Post
Forgive me if this question has already been answered, but since the paper needs to be saturated (which, by the way, is very good information for me) does it matter what brand of paper you use?
Yes... the paper that you use DOES matter quite a bit. I always tell my students to do their own testing... draw a circle on your paper (with pencil) and then color in the inside going all the way up to the line (but not over)... color it up enough so that when you flip it over the color is starting to come through the back side (not completely soaked... but starting to come through)... let it sit for a bit. If the ink feathers outside the drawn circle.. then your paper is probably too soft. Test each paper you might want to use.

Some of the popular brands that seem to work well...
Neenah Smooth or Super Smooth
PaperTrey
Gina K. Luxury (the 80# and 120# - but the ink won't soak through on the 120# and that's okay)
Prism Simply Smooth
Couture Cardstock (they have two different papers)

Hope that helps!
__________________
Colleen Schaan - Education Specialist at Imagination International Inc.,/Copic Marker
Blog
- Distinctive Touches; My Copic Books!

Colleen Schaan is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 05:47 PM   #69
Kookie Creator
 
eyestitch's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Iowa
Posts: 466
Default

This is a great thread. I am learning so much.

Thanks, Colleen
eyestitch is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 07:27 PM   #70
Hardware Hotshot
 
mstowers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Greatgrandma Land
Posts: 4,670
Default

Quote:

Originally Posted by Colleen SchaanView Post
Yes... the paper that you use DOES matter quite a bit. I always tell my students to do their own testing... draw a circle on your paper (with pencil) and then color in the inside going all the way up to the line (but not over)... color it up enough so that when you flip it over the color is starting to come through the back side (not completely soaked... but starting to come through)... let it sit for a bit. If the ink feathers outside the drawn circle.. then your paper is probably too soft. Test each paper you might want to use.

Some of the popular brands that seem to work well...
Neenah Smooth or Super Smooth
PaperTrey
Gina K. Luxury (the 80# and 120# - but the ink won't soak through on the 120# and that's okay)
Prism Simply Smooth
Couture Cardstock (they have two different papers)

Hope that helps!
Thanks for the tip.
mstowers is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 11:48 PM   #71
Matboard Maniac
 
papercraftingmomma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Bedford, Indiana
Posts: 249
Default

I love all the tips, too! I use Georgia Pacific cardstock with Noir Palette Hybrid ink with no problems. I get the GP cardstock at Walmart, 150 sheets, 110 lb. wt. and it's like $6 I think! I also have used Memento Tuxedo Black but prefer Noir PH ink. Do not use Staz-On as it will damage your markers. My 8 year old uses my Copics and she is careful. I think it depends on the child but I definitely wouldn't let other children use them unless I saw they were really careful with other coloring mediums first.

I printed off a .pdf list that Suzanne Dean made for those of us who are just starting to get Copics. http://www.box.net/shared/1i2zkq94sk I do not want all the Copics that are available. I only want some of the Sketch markers. I prefer the barrel shape. I have also gone to Hobby Lobby with coupons and during their sales for markers so I can get a few at a time. I keep that list of markers I printed off in my purse. I circle the colors I get so I don't duplicate them.

I color darkest to lightest because that is how I learned from watching Suzanne's Copic videos on YouTube. They are wonderful to use but I also enjoy other coloring mediums. I have several of the Bic Mark-Its and they are wonderful. They blend just as well as the Copics for me, but the one thing I dislike about them is there are no true light colors. They are all dark/bright. They are more affordable, however, so I do have a lot more of them.

Angel Hugs,
Bridgett
__________________
Bridgett Owens
Visit my blog: http://stampingwithbridgett.blogspot.com
papercraftingmomma is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 04:38 AM   #72
Kookie Creator
 
eyestitch's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Iowa
Posts: 466
Default

Does this color list have anything to do with matching SU CS colors? If it does, it will need to be revised now.
eyestitch is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 11:07 AM   #73
Matboard Maniac
 
papercraftingmomma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Bedford, Indiana
Posts: 249
Default

To my knowledge, this list is just suggestions by Suzanne Dean for those of us who weren't sure what markers to purchase first. There are hundreds of color choices available so it can be overwhelming when you want to only order/buy a few markers at a time. I highly recommend it for those that are unsure about which markers to purchase that will blend well together.
__________________
Bridgett Owens
Visit my blog: http://stampingwithbridgett.blogspot.com
papercraftingmomma is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 04:43 PM   #74
Rubber Obsessor
 
jogrybali's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: I live since 2004 in Bali, living in Paradise
Posts: 170
Send a message via Skype™ to jogrybali
Default

Thanks Brigette,
It is indeed overwelming for me too, as I am a nebie to this. I want to make no mistakes, because they will be come to costly!!
jogrybali is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 04:43 PM   #75
Rubber Obsessor
 
jogrybali's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: I live since 2004 in Bali, living in Paradise
Posts: 170
Send a message via Skype™ to jogrybali
Default

What is the difference between tria markers and copics.?
Thanks
Jogry
jogrybali is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 04:46 PM   #76
Rubber Obsessor
 
jogrybali's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: I live since 2004 in Bali, living in Paradise
Posts: 170
Send a message via Skype™ to jogrybali
Default

What is the reason you prefer Tria markers above copics, is it only the cost of them?
I see they are $ 1.29 cheaper, but are they as good with the blending?
I also have to think about the freight,
Have a nice day,
Jogry/bali
jogrybali is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 06:14 PM   #77
Matboard Maniac
 
papercraftingmomma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Bedford, Indiana
Posts: 249
Default

Jogry, I use the list Suzanne has made available and I have been VERY happy with the color selections she has created. I would highly recommend this to anyone starting out with Copics. I will purchase all the Copics on the beginner list (not all at once, though) and then I most like won't be getting more. I think that will be plenty for me to work with since she has covered all the colors anyone would want! Good luck!
__________________
Bridgett Owens
Visit my blog: http://stampingwithbridgett.blogspot.com
papercraftingmomma is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 08:37 PM   #78
Stazon Splitcoast
 
sillyfilly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Rural Missouri, beautiful country.
Posts: 21,075
Default

They are an artist marker. The quality cannot be matched. They are made for blending. If you are fortunate enough to live in an area where you can take a class I would recomend it. If you don't know how to shade go to the store and buy a cheap book for watercoloring. They explain the basics of shading. It is an expensive tool. I like buying them online because I can get the colors I want. I like Carpe Diem. You can get them for 3.95 each. I think that's what they are and if you spend 100.00 or more shipping is free. If you have a Hobby Lobby in your area watch their adds they sell them for 30% off sometimes. I still use my other markers, like Tombo and SU.
sillyfilly is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 06:50 PM   #79
Hardware Hotshot
 
mstowers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Greatgrandma Land
Posts: 4,670
Default

Quote:

Originally Posted by papercraftingmommaView Post
I love all the tips, too! I use Georgia Pacific cardstock with Noir Palette Hybrid ink with no problems. I get the GP cardstock at Walmart, 150 sheets, 110 lb. wt. and it's like $6 I think! I also have used Memento Tuxedo Black but prefer Noir PH ink. Do not use Staz-On as it will damage your markers. My 8 year old uses my Copics and she is careful. I think it depends on the child but I definitely wouldn't let other children use them unless I saw they were really careful with other coloring mediums first.

I printed off a .pdf list that Suzanne Dean made for those of us who are just starting to get Copics. http://www.box.net/shared/1i2zkq94sk I do not want all the Copics that are available. I only want some of the Sketch markers. I prefer the barrel shape. I have also gone to Hobby Lobby with coupons and during their sales for markers so I can get a few at a time. I keep that list of markers I printed off in my purse. I circle the colors I get so I don't duplicate them.

I color darkest to lightest because that is how I learned from watching Suzanne's Copic videos on YouTube. They are wonderful to use but I also enjoy other coloring mediums. I have several of the Bic Mark-Its and they are wonderful. They blend just as well as the Copics for me, but the one thing I dislike about them is there are no true light colors. They are all dark/bright. They are more affordable, however, so I do have a lot more of them.

Angel Hugs,
Bridgett
Thanks for the list---I printed it and will use it to see what I have that matches it. This will be good reference for future shopping trips.
mstowers is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 09:22 PM   #80
Rubber Obsessor
 
jogrybali's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: I live since 2004 in Bali, living in Paradise
Posts: 170
Send a message via Skype™ to jogrybali
Default

Thanks Angel for your tips and comments,
Hugs,
Jogry/bali
jogrybali is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Reply





Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off