Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 08-24-2017, 08:56 AM   #1  
Die Cut Diva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What are you doing with your old distress inks?

Assuming you've moved on to the Oxides, what are you doing with the older distress inks? A conversation w/my stamp group this morning has me thinking about sloughing mine off. After all, I don't need the oxide pads, the original pads and the cubes.

So, are yours still getting some lovin', are they languishing and collecting dust, or on their way to a donation?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-24-2017, 11:58 AM   #2  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

hmm I dont see them as one or the other, as they do different things
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-24-2017, 12:13 PM   #3  
Die Cut Diva

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Agree with Jukie, I'm keeping both, as they both behave differently, and also look different, even when just applied 'as is' to cardstock.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-24-2017, 12:27 PM   #4  
Gallery Gazer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Ditto Shaz and Jukie. I still use both, and the look of regular Distress on top of Oxides can look very neat, since the Oxide ink will show through. Walnut can give a soft aged look or just give a little more dimension, and many colors work well. For example, a Distress blue on top of a different Oxide blue, yellow on orange or vice versa - all kinds of combos.

That said, where I used to use my regular Distress tons, now it's more intermittent.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-24-2017, 02:43 PM   #5  
Crimping Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good at purging stamps and dies but very bad at purging inks. On the fence about dumping my regular sized and finishing out my original Distress cube collection so I can fill up my Distress hanging shelf with oxides and refills instead. I think there will be oxide colors I'm not interested in, especially every brown and every purple and every green. I wasn't as crazy about all of the last released 12 regular Distress colors either although I own them all in the cubes. I really like stamping as well as blending with the oxides too, but I'm beginning to experience a little ink collecting fatigue.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-24-2017, 02:53 PM   #6  
Gallery Gazer

You make a goog point about regular sized versus cubes. I only have two regular sized Distress inks now and having all the others in cubes saves space and sanity. Even if inking large stamps the cubes work fine for me.

All minis - Distress and others - are in clear, stackable shallow boxes without lids that come in a couple of sizes, and it's made a world of difference in both grabbability and space. (I don't like hinged boxes for inks because the lids double the size of the box. I already have enough trouble with hinged stamping tools!)

In case anyone is interested, it's two of the three sizes of boxes, not the skinny one. You can see the inner lip that a box above it can rest on. They're not hard plastic. https://www.containerstore.com/s/cle...0clear%20boxes

Beth

Last edited by bjeans; 08-24-2017 at 03:07 PM.. Reason: Link
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-24-2017, 03:20 PM   #7  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by bjeansView Post
You make a goog point about regular sized versus cubes. I only have two regular sized Distress inks now and having all the others in cubes saves space and sanity. Even if inking large stamps the cubes work fine for me.

All minis - Distress and others - are in clear, stackable shallow boxes without lids that come in a couple of sizes, and it's made a world of difference in both grabbability and space. (I don't like hinged boxes for inks because the lids double the size of the box. I already have enough trouble with hinged stamping tools!)

In case anyone is interested, it's two of the three sizes of boxes, not the skinny one. You can see the inner lip that a box above it can rest on. They're not hard plastic. https://www.containerstore.com/s/cle...0clear%20boxes

Beth
Hmm, the metal boxes with the lids aren't working out for me either. They take up a lot of space. Wish we had a container store here in Mayberry RFD but the web will work. Tempting to get rid of the full sized pads.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-24-2017, 03:20 PM   #8  
Crimping Master

Oh and LOL on the hinged devices. Sooo true.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-24-2017, 04:19 PM   #9  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by maryalenaView Post
Hmm, the metal boxes with the lids aren't working out for me either. They take up a lot of space. Wish we had a container store here in Mayberry RFD but the web will work. Tempting to get rid of the full sized pads.
I can send you a photo of the cubes in the boxes to help you decide. I happen to keep them in an Alex drawer, open when I'm inking.

The height is a little deceptive since each box fits down into the one below it maybe almost an inch, if I recall.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-24-2017, 08:45 PM   #10  
Crimping Master

Yes please, need that. Sounds like a solution.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-25-2017, 08:57 AM   #11  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by maryalenaView Post
Yes please, need that. Sounds like a solution.
Suddenly I can't upload photos using my iPad on the board or in PMs - re-send me your email address?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-25-2017, 11:17 PM   #12  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,055 Likes on 813 Posts

I think they're very different in use and in looks, I never even dreamt of purging the originals.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-26-2017, 02:52 AM   #13  
Die Cut Diva

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Gosh, I still use them. There is still a need in my reporitoire for a transparent water-reactive ink.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-26-2017, 04:50 AM   #14  
Glitter Guru

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes, I don't see one as a replacement for the other. I will continue to use both, often together. The reinkers alone are something I couldn't do without.

Although one has to wonder what Ranger's plans for Distress is. Will there be no new colors in the original formula? Should I buy extra reinkers for mine?

Will be interesting to see how it goes.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-27-2017, 07:03 PM   #15  
Stampin' Fool

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Keeping them!!! They can do different things. I'm actually using a few of the original ones to watercolor with right now. Plus you can use the original and the oxides together to create a cool background.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-30-2017, 02:11 AM   #16  
Embossing Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Ink collecting fatigue! Yup I am there. Dye, chalk, hybrid, pigement, Distress, archival. Too many colors to many styles. The oxides look interesting but I have not purchased any. When I need a color it's a lot to look thru. I most often use dye or Distress ink. But the other day I needed pigment and sure enough could not find the right shade of yellow in my collection. I was so annoyed .....after all the careful collecting and cataloging and money spent. Plus 90 % of the techniques on blogs and you tube show Distress, oxide or dye. What am doing with the pigment and hybrid inks anymore?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-30-2017, 02:24 AM   #17  
Stampin' Fool

Received 86 Likes on 43 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gabriella18View Post
Ink collecting fatigue! Yup I am there. Dye, chalk, hybrid, pigement, Distress, archival. Too many colors to many styles. The oxides look interesting but I have not purchased any. When I need a color it's a lot to look thru. I most often use dye or Distress ink. But the other day I needed pigment and sure enough could not find the right shade of yellow in my collection. I was so annoyed .....after all the careful collecting and cataloging and money spent. Plus 90 % of the techniques on blogs and you tube show Distress, oxide or dye. What am doing with the pigment and hybrid inks anymore?
I haven't purchased any oxides yet but get a similar effect by spritzing water over regular distress inks and sprinkling with Oxi clean laundry product. When dry brush off the granules. - See Foxy Oxy tutorial.
Attached Thumbnails
What are you doing with your old distress inks?-img_1475.jpg  
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-30-2017, 03:56 AM   #18  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gabriella18View Post
I don't have tons of pigment inks but use them like regular dye inks for stamping, often in the same project.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-30-2017, 04:06 AM   #19  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by pixordiaView Post
I haven't purchased any oxides yet but get a similar effect by spritzing water over regular distress inks and sprinkling with Oxi clean laundry product. When dry brush off the granules. - See Foxy Oxy tutorial.
Fun - you're a chemist! A tad different but cool effect.

Just to clarify - Oxides can be used for other effects than their oxidized or "spotty" look, and also stamp beautifully, even for detailed stamps, unlike regular Distress.

I had a list of ways to use them but one property that's a standout is that they don't make mud when complementary colors are layered, as long as they're somewhat (not entirely) dry.

They're my desert island inks - if I could only have one type.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-30-2017, 07:21 AM   #20  
Matboard Maniac

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

I absolutely love, love, love the new Oxide inks! I wouldn't get rid of any of my original distress inks, however. And if I decide I need one of the original colors because I love it so much in the oxide formula, I would probably just look for it in the cube. I soooo love stamping with the oxides. I get such a nice image, and then I can use a damp brush and lightly "paint" it in for a fabulous effect. When I bought the first set of the oxides, all I did with them was the "smooshing" technique. I loved it so much, I couldn't get enough of it! I punched out hexagons from them, added them to a 4 1/4"x 5 1/2" piece of cardstock, then used an embossing folder, added a die cut with sentiment. Loved them!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-30-2017, 07:24 AM   #21  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kristy TyraView Post
I absolutely love, love, love the new Oxide inks! I wouldn't get rid of any of my original distress inks, however. And if I decide I need one of the original colors because I love it so much in the oxide formula, I would probably just look for it in the cube. I soooo love stamping with the oxides. I get such a nice image, and then I can use a damp brush and lightly "paint" it in for a fabulous effect. When I bought the first set of the oxides, all I did with them was the "smooshing" technique. I loved it so much, I couldn't get enough of it! I punched out hexagons from them, added them to a 4 1/4"x 5 1/2" piece of cardstock, then used an embossing folder, added a die cut with sentiment. Loved them!
Photos mandatory! LOL

I get your excitement.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-30-2017, 10:50 AM   #22  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 464 Likes on 346 Posts

I think you need both - they are so different!! I love them both.

My SCS gallery is here should you care to look! Or please visit my blog, Cardmaker's Garret.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-31-2017, 01:50 AM   #23  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kristy TyraView Post
I should really get some of the minis to try. I do have a lot of stamp pads including twoi nkpad tiers of Stamping up colors.....so many toys so little time lately.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-31-2017, 01:52 AM   #24  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by bjeansView Post
Fun - you're a chemist! A tad different but cool effect.

Just to clarify - Oxides can be used for other effects than their oxidized or "spotty" look, and also stamp beautifully, even for detailed stamps, unlike regular Distress.

I had a list of ways to use them but one property that's a standout is that they don't make mud when complementary colors are layered, as long as they're somewhat (not entirely) dry.

They're my desert island inks - if I could only have one type.
Thanks for the info. I will definitely look into them more.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-31-2017, 06:50 AM   #25  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts

I only have a VERY FEW of the Distress Inks, although I DID WANT THEM ALL!!! LOL I felt overwhelmed with the amount to be bought & the price at the time. I collected only the Tea, Photo & the Linen pads as I could use them for ageing my projects. I've been VERY HAPPY with just those. BUUUT, when the Oxide Inks came out & they are SO EASILY BLENDED, (It isn't as easy to blend the original Distress Inks with age you know) I JUMPED ON THEM! I am LOVING them!!!! New toys always give a little boost to ones creativity you know! LOL ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-31-2017, 07:48 AM   #26  
Glitter Guru

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Let's agree to call them original Distress Inks. Not old Distress Inks. ;)!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-31-2017, 09:53 AM   #27  
Gallery Gazer

Good point. Or regular Distress inks maybe? I think that's what I've tended to call them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-03-2017, 11:30 PM   #28  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 77 Likes on 42 Posts

I wouldn't dream of getting rid of my original Distress inks - I have the regular size and the minis, plus the Distress stains, and the markers, all used for different purposes. They are my go-to for watercoloring.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-04-2017, 12:45 PM   #29  
Stampin' Fool

Received 88 Likes on 33 Posts

I have most of the original Distress colors, and if I don't have a pad, I have a reinker. FOR WATERCOLORING. I think they are terrible to stamp with, but lovely for coloring.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-02-2017, 11:26 AM   #30  
Matboard Maniac

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Commenting on storage: I actually DREAD getting some of my ink pads out, esp. my Distress Inks. I have an IKEA Expedit, and I went thru lots of trouble to find containers with lids (I don't clean much, ha ha). I also have a really old Cropper Hopper case (two sided, snaps closed) like this Cropper Hopper Supply Case Deluxe Scrapbooking Card Making Green Supply Organizefor ink pads. So silly me sticks the Distress pads in the Cropper Hopper, stacks another plastic container on top of it, tucks odd ink pads around it, and puts in in the main box (which also snaps shut) in the Expedit.

Oy vey...it's like...what is wrong with me?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-02-2017, 11:38 AM   #31  
Gallery Gazer

LOL! I feel your pain. Been there done that - like a stacking puzzle. So... step away from all the clicky closey containers and no one will be hurt.

So Pallra. (You know if it's a short word you haven't heard before, it's IKEA, right?) I have an Expedit and found these 3-drawer units that fit into the cubes. They're just chipboard, and you put bump-ons on the bottom or they'll move when you push or pull a drawer. What's cool: pull out a drawer and bring it to where you're working. So a relatively inexpensive way to keep things organized but usable. If not for inks, for something.

I have IBM Selectric cartridges, golf ball elements, the manual, etc., in one drawer, certain embellishments in another, etc.

PALLRA Mini chest with 3 drawers - IKEA
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-02-2017, 11:47 AM   #32  
Matboard Maniac

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Thank you so much!
I did find some chipboard boxes at Joann's that work very well. They fit perfectly and are stackable. I'm checking out those Pallras, though, for sure.
Sometimes I think part of the problem is that I work in several different media. I also have a big collection of journals I keep in the Expedit...

As my boss says, These are the kind of problems you like to have!
;)
Reply With Quote Likes
The following users liked this post:
bjeans (10-20-2023)
Old 10-26-2017, 11:00 AM   #33  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 245 Likes on 132 Posts

Gave away the dozen or so regular Distress Inks I owned, as I was able to accomplish everything I needed with SU Dye Inks. Did buy into Chalk Inks, used them for several specific projects and am about to give those away. Haven't tried the Oxides, but not seeing the value in samples so far. Sometimes too many choices are just that; too many choices!
Reply With Quote Likes
*pam1 (11-12-2023)
Old 10-27-2017, 09:47 AM   #34  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Bionic ChatboxChick

Received 659 Likes on 415 Posts

well, I have not caved on every color of oxides ( I think I am missing 5 colors still) and so, I have been known to use both kinds of ink on the same card because, I need more colors.

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-28-2017, 11:03 AM   #35  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by pixordiaView Post
very cool, thanks for that!!
Reply With Quote Likes
pixordia (10-24-2023)
Old 10-20-2023, 01:27 AM   #36  
Stampin' Fool

Came back to this old thread to update. I have purchased a large range of distress oxides with re inkers (that’s important) to keep them smooshy. I also kept the regular distress inks and just finished re inking a lot of them. The felt dries out if you don’t keep them properly re inked by pressing the ink down firmly with a scraper in all four directions after you spread it on.
The game changer for me was doing the series of Tim Holtz Chemistry 101, 102 and 103. Online Classes.
onlineclasses.com
Click on Classes then select Tim Holtz
Here are many of the tags I created from step by step instructions from the courses.
https://suzpaperdaze.blogspot.com
But if you don’t want to spend the time and money he has lots of free tutorials on YouTube and during his new product releases he gives lots of insights into using them.

Last edited by pixordia; 10-20-2023 at 01:34 AM.. Reason: Add a link
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 2 users liked this post by pixordia:
harvestmoon (11-05-2023), whim6915 (10-20-2023)
Old 10-20-2023, 06:32 AM   #37  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 245 Likes on 132 Posts

Oh, wow!!! Those tags are amazing!
Reply With Quote Likes
pixordia (10-24-2023)
Old 10-20-2023, 07:37 AM   #38  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 464 Likes on 346 Posts

Your tags are fabulous. I bought the Tim Holtz courses a few years ago but haven't had time to do them. I must make that a New Year's resolution!

My SCS gallery is here should you care to look! Or please visit my blog, Cardmaker's Garret.
Reply With Quote Likes
pixordia (10-24-2023)
Old 10-23-2023, 05:24 AM   #39  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 51 Likes on 31 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by jukieView Post
hmm I dont see them as one or the other, as they do different things
i agree with you. They each bring something else to the party. And when combined with oxides they are some pretty techniques.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-28-2023, 05:34 PM   #40  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 731 Likes on 353 Posts

I agree with they are different inks and it is not an either or choice...

however if one was so inclined...I would definitely keep the refills-you can paint with them.

The TH class looks really productive. The tags are lovely.
Reply With Quote Likes