Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 03-07-2019, 05:06 PM   #1
Insane Embellisher

Default We R Memory Keepers Foil Quill

I purchased the foil quill from HSN and got to play with it. I thought I would share my preliminary results in case anyone else is interested. I have a Scan N Cut and tried to use it with a stamped image, this one (SimonSaysStamp Beautiful Bouquet):

I had a lot of trouble converting the image into the necessary file format for the Scan N Cut (this is the Scan N Cut's software issue, not the quill's). Long-story-short, I managed to eventually get it converted but it wasn't perfect.

I went ahead anyway just to test the quill to make sure it worked and foiled the image; this was the result (please remember, this is a not-perfect converted image, any imperfections are from the software, not the quill):

Of course, the shine didn't photograph well but I think you can see, it worked really well.

You definitely have to make sure the foil is taped down and as taunt as possible with washi tape. I just did a piece on all 4 sides like they demo'd and instructed in the enclosed booklet but the tip pulled the foil up in the corner and bunched it up under itself. Once I put more tape around, all went fine. This image is about 4x7 and took almost 13 minutes, YMMV on a different machine. Not sure I would use this image on a couple hundred wedding invitations with that amount of time needed, LOL. I used the medium tip but I think I should've used the small.

I plan on taking the piece of foil that has this image etched out of it and using it with the GoPress to not waste the foil.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
joniworx, cookie1031 and southgirl like this post.
Old 03-07-2019, 05:18 PM   #2
Insane Embellisher

Addendum: I rubbed my fingers over the foiled image and the foil did shed a bit. I rubbed them quickly with normal pressure and my fingers looked like I had perfect pearls on them. It spread from my fingers onto the cardstock, giving the cardstock a shimmer. I don't notice any effect on the image, though.
joniworx and cookie1031 like this post.
Old 03-07-2019, 11:53 PM   #3
Matboard Maniac

Yay for getting it to work - thanks for posting your results! Pretty - I love foiling!

Joni
Old 03-08-2019, 04:39 AM   #4
Insane Embellisher

I also forgot to mention that it debossed my cardstock (Recollections brand) so that it looked like letter press. Not very deep, it wasn't evident on the other side, but it was enough for me to notice it. I would think if you didn't heat the tool you could use it to deboss designs into your cardstock.
cookie1031 and Annecards like this post.
Old 04-28-2019, 06:36 PM   #5
Inking Addict

Your results look fantastic! I have the Cricut maker and my results aren't nearly that nice. I always end up with skipped areas or partial foiling -- very frustrating.

Anyone have any tips or ideas that might help me?
Old 04-29-2019, 12:38 AM   #6
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyobart View Post
Your results look fantastic! I have the Cricut maker and my results aren't nearly that nice. I always end up with skipped areas or partial foiling -- very frustrating.

Anyone have any tips or ideas that might help me?
Do you try out the design by drawing it with a pen first? That would test out if the design file is actually OK and if there are any bugs in the software causing it to skip part of it.
Old 04-29-2019, 06:06 AM   #7
Stampin' Fool

Maybe you could let me/us know what you think after you have used it a while. I would love to check it out but my previous experience has me very hesitant.

Somebody gave me a foiling pen years ago as a gift, I think it may have been by Fiskar(?) but it was unusable because it would not stay together. It was supposed to screw together after putting batteries into it but no matter how hard I wanted make it stay in one piece so I could use it I could not do so. The minute I would pick it up, it would pop apart into 4 flying pieces: top, bottom and the two batteries. I even tried taping the thing together but even then it would come apart. I kept that thing in my drawer for a good couple of years before I got frustrated enough to give up and fling the thing into the trash. It made a really satisfying kechunk sound sound when I did.

Needless to say as pretty as foiling is I have been unwilling to give it a try again. I don't need that kind of blood pressure aggravation.
Old 05-03-2019, 04:29 AM   #8
Stampin' Fool

I’ve used the Foil Quill since it’s release. It worked perfectly right out of the box, and has worked flawlessly since. I’ve used the adapters successfully with my SNC, Cricut Maker, and Silhouette Cameo. I do prefer my SNC because of its fill functionality. BTW Spellbinders Glimmer foil works well with it. Hope my review is helpful.
A Cardmaking Journey in Progress
TeeGeeDee, cookie1031, southgirl and 1 others like this post.
Old 05-05-2019, 09:00 AM   #9
Polyshrink Goddess

Mine works well and easily. Only problem I had is that some start and stop lines did not meet up. I am thinking that I did not get my foil taped down tight enough. I did not have any embossing on my paper and it did not rub off. I tried the Go Press and Foil foil on it and it works too. I love love love the usb designs they load so easily.
Annecards likes this post.