Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 08-24-2018, 01:23 PM   #1  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 291 Likes on 115 Posts
Default Versafine Clair/ Distress Oxide

I only have one of the Versafine Clair pads so far - Nocturne - so I am looking for suggestions for colors. I specifically need a handful for fall and a few for Christmas. Any suggestions for faves?

I am also interested in the same color suggestions for Distress Oxides. The two inks do entirely different things, and I'm not quite sure where my stamping adventures will be taking me these upcoming seasons, so I'd like to be prepared, lol...

I would also be interested in sources with the best pricing for each. Thanks in advance for any/all input!

Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-25-2018, 02:01 AM   #2  
Die Cut Diva

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Hi Sue, I have a few now. I can say that Pinecone is a nice dark brown, but avoid Fallen Leaves- it just looks like another black. I've been told by a crafting friend that Acorn is a lovely brown too. The green I have is Rainforest, and is a lovely deep green. Other than that I have blues and purples so far.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-25-2018, 07:28 AM   #3  
Stazon Splitcoast

Thank you, Shaz. I remembered the thread regarding Fallen Leaves, so that one wasn't even on my radar, but I was eyeballing Pinecone. I'll have to take a look at Acorn, as well. Rainforest was also on the list, but I was wondering if I wanted to go that deep - maybe Shady Lane...? I'll wait for more input, unless I get antsy and just go for it, lol.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-25-2018, 03:09 PM   #4  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey Sue!
Can't help you with the Versafine Clair inks, but I do really like the Distress Oxides. I bought the first set, mistake, now I am only getting my favorite colors. I love Candied Apple, Picked Raspberry, Carved Pumpkin, Squeezed Lemonade, Twisted Citron and Mermaid Lagoon. Peacock feathers is also nice along with Salty Ocean and Wilted Violet to round out the collection.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-25-2018, 03:46 PM   #5  
Stazon Splitcoast

Thanks Stacey! I do have some DIs - Picked Raspberry and Peacock Feathers are among them. I'll check out the others that you mentioned, too - some of them sound perfect for what I'm trying to achieve.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-26-2018, 12:52 AM   #6  
Die Cut Diva

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Forgot the question about Oxides, lol. Like Stacy, this time round I'm only getting the colours that really grab me. As the biggest part of that is the fact the colours show up on black cardstock, it's mainly been the Brights that have got my attention. I love Candied Apple as a 'true' red, without the orange undertones of most of them. In fact, I agree with all Stacys choices, they are ones I've bought. Lucky Clover & Mowed Lawn are both good greens.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-26-2018, 02:32 AM   #7  
Stazon Splitcoast

In the general forum there was a post about Oxides being on sale at Joann's, so I clicked over and ordered 18(!) of them. The only one I didn't get that has been mentioned here is Mowed Lawn, which wasn't available. I have that in regular DI and like the color. I checked Amazon, but it was ridiculously overpriced, so I didn't order it but I did pick up a four-pack that included Carved Pumpkin, Squeezed Lemonade, Mermaid Lagoon and Evergreen Bough (the pumpkin and lemonade weren't available at Joann's, and I really like the other two colors, so...) I think I'm set with the DIs now! Thanks, ladies!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-26-2018, 05:18 AM   #8  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,051 Likes on 811 Posts

Rainforest is nice. I was away from home and couldn't remember which green I had bought, so I needed to check. But I don't think I have anything with it stamped on white, so I don't think I can provide a helpful link.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-26-2018, 05:44 AM   #9  
Glitter Guru

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

In Versafine Clair, Tulip Red is a warm red, Glamourous is a pinky red. I find the most neutral red to be the old Satin Red in the Versafine. But that's me. YMMV.

Sue - Pinecone and Acorn are incredibly useful. I have both Pinecone is my go-to brown at this point.

Shaz, I have Fallen Leaves and, yes, it is very dark. But I sometimes use it where the Nocturne would be a bit too stark. Like a "warm black". So for me it has its place.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-02-2018, 04:24 PM   #10  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I accidentally purchased 2 Versafine Clair Joyful (bright yellow). Would anybody like it? Please message me your address, and I will drop it in the mail the next time I make it to the post office.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-03-2018, 05:28 PM   #11  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My extra Joyful pad is now spoken for!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-06-2018, 12:53 PM   #12  
Gallery Gazer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

I'm late to the party (how did i miss this post about a desert island ink?). You're set for Oxides, which are my fave of all time inks, so won't rant about them.

CLAIRS

Reds: I agree with Robin that Tulip Red is warmer - kind of coral-red, and Glamorous Red is beautiful with cool, pink undertones. Satin Red in regular Versafine depends on what it's next to - like with any colors. Next to pink it looks more red and next to a cool, apple red it looks warmer.
Teal: Warm Breeze is a rich medium teal, with Twilight darker, a bit of black undertone mixed in.

Oranges: Regular Versafine's Habenero is a tad darker, with Clair's Summertime orange being more, well, summery, sherbety, not that it isn't lovely.

Yellow: Cheerful is bright sunny yellow - could work for autumn - or other seasons.

Yellow-Green: Golden Meadow could work beautifully for autumn unless you are anti yellowy greens.

Brown: Pine cone is rich and dark.

Just my take. YMMV.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-06-2018, 02:27 PM   #13  
Stazon Splitcoast

Thanks for all of the input - much appreciated! I've done a bit of playing with the Oxides I bought and haven't pursued the Clairs yet (Stampingbella's Oddballs got me sidetracked for a minute), but I'm weighing out which ones I really, really want, and the colors recommended are all still on the list. Thanks again! Also, thanks to KristaTracy for her offer, which I gratefully accepted...

Reply With Quote Likes