Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 11-12-2017, 05:59 AM   #1  
Die Cut Diva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Versa Ink ?

Can someone please explain to me the difference between VersaColor inks and Versafine Pigment inks?

They're both pigment; they're both mfg'd by Tsukineko in Japan; they're both Versa-named. What's the difference?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-12-2017, 06:46 AM   #2  
Glitter Guru

Received 369 Likes on 219 Posts

I think the differences are that VF is water-resistant and brings out the fine details in the stamped image, while VC is pigment-based but not water-resistant or fine-detail ink. I wish that VF was available in as many colors as VC.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-12-2017, 07:30 AM   #3  
Die Cut Diva

Thank you so much, Scrapjanny; that helps a lot. Sounds like you prefer Versafine.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-12-2017, 07:47 AM   #4  
Linking Queen

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Hoping these links (to product info on the manufacturer website) will be helpful:

VersaFine~ Tsukineko - high quality inks and inkpads for your crafting projects

VersaColor~
Tsukineko - high quality inks and inkpads for your crafting projects

See here to click on other inks~
Tsukineko - high quality inks and inkpads for your crafting projects -

Happy Crafting!
Tina aka TeeGeeDee
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-12-2017, 08:20 AM   #5  
Crimping Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I’m waiting for Versafine Clair to come to the US. It is now available in the U.K. I have a family member living in Japan but oddly she hasn’t been able to find it there. Here is a link to a description. Lots of colors. Lavinia Stamps Ltd ? The New VersaFine ?Clair? Ink Pads
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-12-2017, 10:10 AM   #6  
Linking Queen

Quote:

Originally Posted by maryalenaView Post
I�m waiting for Versafine Clair to come to the US. It is now available in the U.K. I have a family member living in Japan but oddly she hasn�t been able to find it there. Here is a link to a description. Lots of colors. Lavinia Stamps Ltd ? The New VersaFine ?Clair? Ink Pads
Well, now I'm waiting with you! I prefer the brighter colors but all off then are nice.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-12-2017, 12:28 PM   #7  
Die Cut Diva

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would love to know if the Versafine Clair ink is the same as our Versafine or different. I want more colors, but I really like regular Versafine ink and would want to know more about the Clair line.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-12-2017, 12:56 PM   #8  
Glitter Guru

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think Versafine is not technically a true pigment ink. It's an oil-based ink of some kind. That said, it's my very favorite ink on the planet and I agree with Scrapjanny, there ought to be a lot more colors in that line and why aren't there. I have every single one they make and I'd buy as many more as they came up with. It's brilliant for detail.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-12-2017, 02:19 PM   #9  
Linking Queen

Robin, I believe you are correct because the link I shared says VersaFine is oil-based (and also pigment and archival). It is puzzling that it doesn't come in more colors. It is the best for fine detail so it is always in reach.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-12-2017, 02:27 PM   #10  
Insane Embellisher

Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Another Vote for VersaFine

Quote:

Originally Posted by RachelroseView Post
I have every single one they make and I'd buy as many more as they came up with. It's brilliant for detail.
Ditto what Rachelrose said. However, I am very disappointed with the Onyx Black Versafine refill ink. Still, I have new Hero Arts and StazOn black pads and refills, and they just don't give the same ultra crisp and clean results I get from VersaFine, even though the Versafine refill is weak. Using my can't go-without-Misti, I'm having to stamp the sentiment on 100 Christmas cards 3 times to get the almost-perfect Versafine Impression.

Maybe ink production will come back to the United States and VersaFine will again be the dynamite product it once was. It's STILL #!, in any case.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-12-2017, 04:57 PM   #11  
Glitter Guru

Bahb, I've never reinked a Versafine pad. I just use mine until it dies and buy another. They last so, so long that I figure it's worth it, I'd rather have a fresh, factory-inked pad. And I always have an extra new one on hand because if I run out of Versafine Onyx, all crafting comes to a screeching halt in my studio. ;)!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-13-2017, 01:51 AM   #12  
Die Cut Diva

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

I find it strange that Versafine Clair is not mentioned anywhere on their website. I have seen mention of it before, and occasionally you see a pad in someones blog post/ Fb post over here, but they don't seem to be very easily available. This is the only info I can find about it, taken from Lavinia stamps website:

Save
Save
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-13-2017, 03:46 AM   #13  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 291 Likes on 115 Posts

Perhaps the "Clair" line is exclusive to Lavinia Stamps...?

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-13-2017, 07:15 AM   #14  
Crimping Master

This ink line is made all the more appealing by the fact that I can’t get my hands on it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-13-2017, 09:04 AM   #15  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by BahbView Post
Ditto what Rachelrose said. However, I am very disappointed with the Onyx Black Versafine refill ink. Still, I have new Hero Arts and StazOn black pads and refills, and they just don't give the same ultra crisp and clean results I get from VersaFine, even though the Versafine refill is weak. Using my can't go-without-Misti, I'm having to stamp the sentiment on 100 Christmas cards 3 times to get the almost-perfect Versafine Impression.

Maybe ink production will come back to the United States and VersaFine will again be the dynamite product it once was. It's STILL #!, in any case.
That is interesting that the ink refill doesn�t seem to work well for you. I do remember hearing that the company really didn�t want to have any ink refills for Versafine, but they did agree to do black (and maybe sepia) due to market demands. I have had my inkpad for 5+ years, and still don�t need a refill, and when I do, I probably will just buy a new pad.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-13-2017, 11:21 AM   #16  
Crimping Master

Here is an update from Imagine Crafts on the “Clair” line for anyone who might be interested. According to friend of mine who emailed them they said they have a projected launch date in January. They said they would announce it on their blog and website. It’s on my wishlist now.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-13-2017, 12:21 PM   #17  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Here is an update from Imagine Crafts on the �Clair� line for anyone who might be interested. According to friend of mine who emailed them they said they have a projected launch date in January. They said they would announce it on their blog and website. It�s on my wishlist now.

Good to know. I watched a review video on the Clair inks (it was in spanish) and it looked like they stamp even blacker than regular Versafine. Will be interesting!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-13-2017, 12:24 PM   #18  
Crimping Master

Even blacker, wow!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-13-2017, 01:13 PM   #19  
Glitter Guru

I see them in UK stores (Buddley Crafts seems to have them). I see them available for pre-order on Etsy. Like Shaz, I looked in vain for info on the website and found none. Odd, since it is available, just not widely. (Extremely narrowly, in fact)

Wonder how it's different from Versafine. I'm not a big pigment ink gal. Like I said, I don't consider Versafine a true pigment ink. Pigment inks give great coverage but in my experience are not always the best for detail. Versafine is the best for detail.

And of course this is a standard marketing ploy - get a buzz going about a product before it's available, so that everyone is chomping at the bit to buy it the moment it comes out. They do it to us all the time, we should be hip to it by now. ;)!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-14-2017, 01:11 AM   #20  
Die Cut Diva

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

The comment on the black being black, reminded me of something I ought to share, in case others don't know this. I had the good fortune to get onto a Tim Holtz workshop he did here in the UK back in September. Never, ever thought I would, but thats besides the point.
While doing the workshop, the subject of black inks came up. Now, we all know there is an Archival black ink, and we all know that Ranger put out those '4 pads in one' from the various designers, and that Tim's included Black.
In case you don't know this- and I had completely missed it- the Black in Tims is NOT the standard Archival Black, its Archival Black Soot.
He showed us the two pads swiped side by side, and when you see them like that, the regular Archival has a definite dark purple tinge to it, whereas the Black soot version really is the blackest black you've ever seen.
Now, the 'new' version is not available as a separate pad-yet,lol- but you can buy a blank pad, and a refill for the Distress Archival Black soot, and ink your own.
Personally, I won't be surprised to see this as a single pad at next years Creativation.
I've never bought the 4 way pad, as I'm a stamp-to-pad person, and I'd always end up getting bits of the wrong colour on my stamp!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-14-2017, 02:20 AM   #21  
Insane Embellisher

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by shazsilverwolfView Post
The comment on the black being black, reminded me of something I ought to share, in case others don't know this. I had the good fortune to get onto a Tim Holtz workshop he did here in the UK back in September. Never, ever thought I would, but thats besides the point.
While doing the workshop, the subject of black inks came up. Now, we all know there is an Archival black ink, and we all know that Ranger put out those '4 pads in one' from the various designers, and that Tim's included Black.
In case you don't know this- and I had completely missed it- the Black in Tims is NOT the standard Archival Black, its Archival Black Soot.
He showed us the two pads swiped side by side, and when you see them like that, the regular Archival has a definite dark purple tinge to it, whereas the Black soot version really is the blackest black you've ever seen.
Now, the 'new' version is not available as a separate pad-yet,lol- but you can buy a blank pad, and a refill for the Distress Archival Black soot, and ink your own.
Personally, I won't be surprised to see this as a single pad at next years Creativation.
I've never bought the 4 way pad, as I'm a stamp-to-pad person, and I'd always end up getting bits of the wrong colour on my stamp!
Thanks for this info. Although my go to ink is VersaFine, I have a huge Archival ink pad. Never would have guessed about the color. Thanks for info!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-14-2017, 07:00 AM   #22  
Crimping Master

Good info about the Black Soot. Always interested in Black inkpads and willing to try a new one.

I am going to buy one Versa Clair and try it out. I guess I am hoping that it is Versa Fine wonderful in lots of new colors but Im sure it’s not the same formula. I hope it’s not just marketing because I have a few inkpads I’d like to drop kick across the lake, all hype and no performance. Sometimes I think the word “crisp” that I see on some brands means doesn’t cover very well but doesn’t bleed. Stamp positioners are the only answer with those.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-14-2017, 07:04 AM   #23  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Good info about the Black Soot. Always interested in Black inkpads and willing to try a new one.

I am going to buy one Versa Clair and try it out. I guess I am hoping that it is Versa Fine wonderful in lots of new colors but Im sure it�s not the same formula. I hope it�s not just marketing because I have a few inkpads I�d like to drop kick across the lake, all hype and no performance. Sometimes I think the word �crisp� that I see on some brands means doesn�t cover very well but doesn�t bleed. Stamp positioners are the only answer with those.
I hope you will report back how you like it!

And RachelRose has a point! Maybe we should be wiser now and take our time purchasing new items like inks! It�s not like we don�t have any yet, and we can let someone else be the guinea pig? Hmmm. Will I follow this advice, not sure!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-14-2017, 07:17 AM   #24  
Crimping Master

I will follow this advice and only buy one as long as I don’t look at any of the colors that aren’t black.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-14-2017, 07:16 PM   #25  
Forum Fanatic

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by BahbView Post

Your comment about the Versafine Onyx Black refill ink being �weak� got me to thinking. And I wanted to share my experience, just in case it might be helpful.

I�ve been reinking my pad for at least a couple of years, maybe longer, and have noticed no diminishment of performance. I followed the advice I stumbled upon in a blog (?) about the correct way to ink the Versafine pad to get the best results.
The blogger said to take the time to gently rock-n-roll the refill bottle -much like people do with nail polish to make sure it is mixed without creating bubbles and such (no vigorous shaking). Then squiggle the ink on in smallish circles, completely covering the pad side to side and then do longish squiggle lines the length of the pad. After the ink is applied, take the backside of a spoon and gently massage the ink into the inside of the pad. Replace the lid and set the pad aside at least overnight (the pad should be right side up, not upside down like SU dye ink).
I know that I skipped the rest-the pad-overnight step when I re-inked it recently and the images I stamped immediately after inking the pad did not look good at all. I was really disappointed and thought I would probably end up needing a new pad. However, when I used the pad a couple of days later, it stamped like a normal Versafine pad.

You may very well have gotten a bad reinker (For example, it may have been subject to freezing temps before you acquired it). Another possibility is that the company might have changed the formula of the reinker since I purchased mine. Regardless, it�s a shame when a product doesn�t perform like it was intended to.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-15-2017, 04:45 AM   #26  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 731 Likes on 353 Posts

subbing-really good discussion!

I have been using the VF reinker...I have to pay closer attention. I do shake it vigorously like any reinker. I also have to really inspect my pad bc it is old and could have a messed up surface.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-15-2017, 06:12 AM   #27  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by shazsilverwolfView Post
I am hoping the same, Shaz. I remember seeing that demo, and while I'd never thought about it before, now Archival Black always has that purple tinge to me. I still love and use it, but would prefer the Black Soot.

And ditto about the four-pad. Who thought that up? I can't imagine anything would be more cumbersome to use. I suppose if you're a "bring the stamp to the pad" stamper... but, like you, I am not. I bring the pad to the stamp.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-15-2017, 07:28 AM   #28  
Matboard Maniac

I find that the versa fine refill has to be shook very well, as it seems to settle when setting a long time.

I have another problem with one of mine. the very top layer is coming loose to the back of the pad. has anyone else had this problem and is it fixable? I have tried emailing the company but no response.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-15-2017, 09:12 AM   #29  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 464 Likes on 346 Posts

I am puzzled by the information saying that Versafine is not good for heat embossing - I've been using Onyx Black as my go-to black ink for heat embossing for years and it always works. Maybe you just have to be really quick with adding the embossing powder as it does dry fast.

It's also my go-to black ink for when I want to stamp an image to watercolour (I don't emboss it when I use it for that). I couldn't be without it!

My SCS gallery is here should you care to look! Or please visit my blog, Cardmaker's Garret.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-15-2017, 05:39 PM   #30  
Matboard Maniac

Yay! just got an email saying they are going to replace my defective versafine ink pad!
Reply With Quote Likes