Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 03-16-2011, 07:00 AM   #1  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up Unmounted! Now what??

with the help and encouragement of members here, I finally took the plunge and started to unmount my SU stamps. I am microwaving the stamps, removing the rubber and the sticker, placing the sticker on the back of the rubber and am delighted with how easy the process is! I am hoping this process will help me use what I have instead of buying more - heck,I'm unmounting stamps that haven't seen the light of day - much less ink -- in ages!!

Today's question for those of you who have unmounted your stamps --- what did you do with the blocks and clamshell cases? I hate to throw them out - so what are you crafty people doing with them?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-16-2011, 07:43 AM   #2  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

I kept my clamshell cases to use for storage for other things. I've got a nice collection of dewdrop inkpads and those are all stored in clamshell cases to make them easy to stack.

The blocks - you'll hate to hear this, but I just started throwing them away. The sets that I bought new and never put on the wood blocks, or the ones where the stamps came very nicely off the blocks and left no residue, I kept but the rest were not worth the hassle of dealing with. I haven't done anything with them yet, though - they're stored on my high shelves. Every once in a while my husband or son will need a couple for a project, but I'm still trying to find some inspiration for them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-16-2011, 07:52 AM   #3  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by cbetView Post
I kept my clamshell cases to use for storage for other things. I've got a nice collection of dewdrop inkpads and those are all stored in clamshell cases to make them easy to stack.

The blocks - you'll hate to hear this, but I just started throwing them away. The sets that I bought new and never put on the wood blocks, or the ones where the stamps came very nicely off the blocks and left no residue, I kept but the rest were not worth the hassle of dealing with. I haven't done anything with them yet, though - they're stored on my high shelves. Every once in a while my husband or son will need a couple for a project, but I'm still trying to find some inspiration for them.
Thanks Cheryl -- maybe we'll burn them in our fire pit this summer LOL!
And, by the way, you were the one of the posters who was so helpful in this endeavor -- your advice worked great!! 10 seconds in the microwave and - zap - they are off the blocks. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-16-2011, 09:38 AM   #4  
Pearl-ExPert

Ahh, Vicki, thanks so much! I can tell you that they will work really well in your firepit - most of those blocks are some pretty nice wood I was going to give mine to my parents to burn in their woodstove, but they already had a surplus from my mother unmounting hers . . .

I did use a couple of square ones that I attached velcro to and turned them into alcohol ink blocks (cut felt to fit the block)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-16-2011, 11:54 AM   #5  
Hardware Hotshot

Holy cow --- great idea!!! I am totally going to do make a couple into alcohol inkers! Now what to do with the other gazillion LOL!
I'm thinking the larger ones can be altered into something cute ... I'm thinking maybe recipe holder or modge podge photos on to them or something....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-16-2011, 11:58 AM   #6  
Embossing Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Now, how are you storing your unmounted stamps? 3 ring binders?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-16-2011, 12:42 PM   #7  
Polyshrink Goddess

I store my newly unmounted SU! stamps in the new DVD cases that SU! sells - they are the same ones the clear mount SU! come in...I love it - I have them in a DVD holder right next to my desk and my stamps see alot more ink now!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-16-2011, 12:57 PM   #8  
Rubber Obsessor

I threw my wood blocks out, since they were all sticky on the one side anyways. As far as my clam shells cases, i sold all of my mine on ebay. I also keep my unmounteds in SU DVD cases, love them!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-16-2011, 01:21 PM   #9  
Hardware Hotshot

I'm storing them in the SU DVD boxes also. I can sometimes get more than one in a box, which is awesome! I'm stamping an index sheet and sliding into the front pocket.
Love it! I'm going to try to pick up an inexpensive DVD rack for my boxes also. That will free up an entire bookshelf --- room for more paper! :-)))
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-16-2011, 01:21 PM   #10  
Hardware Hotshot

My next big challenge will be how to not lose the small unmounted stamps!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-16-2011, 07:49 PM   #11  
Pearl-ExPert

Storage - I bought some pretty boxes at Michael's. They are about 12" long x 8" wide by 6" deep. I heat-laminated cardstock, cut it into 5x7 pieces and rounded the corners. (The corners wouldn't have needed to be rounded, but I was so fascinated by my new corner chomper . . .) I also have one box where I cut the laminated cardstock to 5 x 11-1/2", for bigger sets that don't fit on a 5x7 card.

Then, because I was paranoid about smaller stamps falling off the boards and getting mixed up in the bottom of the box, I made kind of an accordion file that fits down into the box. It's just many pieces of cardstock, scored and folded and stuck together, that the laminated cards & stamps rest in.

I didn't pack them into the boxes super tight; they're easy to flip thru to see what I have. Right now I have 7 boxes, but two of them aren't full. I've labelled each box with a letter; I still have to go thru and put numbers on the accordian sections and then an index number on each storage board, so I have a location I can note in the stamp index that is on my to-do list.

Probably I should mention that the cardstock I used for the boards & folders wasn't my good card-making stock. I received a couple of reams of grey from a friend of mine whose husband got it free; she knew I made cards and thought I could use it, but it's too lightweight for card bases. It seemed a good idea to use it for this
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-17-2011, 04:57 AM   #12  
Matboard Maniac

There was someone on the BST board who was looking for blocks.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-17-2011, 08:48 AM   #13  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by fiddlerontheroofView Post
There was someone on the BST board who was looking for blocks.
thanks!
Reply With Quote Likes