Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 11-26-2018, 11:47 AM   #1  
Stampin' Fool

Received 279 Likes on 79 Posts
Smile Tool maintenance

I'm curious as to how often do you clean your scissors and other cutting tools?

I had been struggling with sticky scissors and sticky blade runner on my fiskars cutting tool for days/weeks. Cleaning the scissors
I changed the blade on my cutter but the new blade would not slide smoothly. I sanded the along the track with my nifty jewelers mini saws, but there was little improvement.
I'm in full production mode and I need my tools to work properly. The thought crossed my mind to take advantage of the Black Friday sales and invest in new cutters. However before I ventured out to find another cutter, I used a small piece of paper towel with a little "goo gone" on it and ran it along the track top and bottom which I followed up with some 90% alcohol on another piece of paper towel to remove any residue.
To top it off I used some beeswax (lightly) from my sewing kit to help lubricate the cutting track. Viola! What a difference. Now my fiskars cutter slices through (multiple sheets) cardstock like butter with no sticking.
That prompted me to show my cleaver style paper cutter a little TLC as well, its been well used for over 20 years.
I used fine steel wool to sand the blade back and forth a few times in addition to goo gone and alcohol wipe down. What a difference! My tools are good as new for another 20 years, lol.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-26-2018, 12:44 PM   #2  
Stampin' Fool

Received 279 Likes on 79 Posts

I was distracted while writing my thread. I meant to say, cleaning my scissor was past due, but I cleaned them with goo gone and alcohol.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-26-2018, 01:26 PM   #3  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 973 Likes on 472 Posts

My husband and I were just having a similar conversation but regarding lawn tools!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-27-2018, 02:12 AM   #4  
Die Cut Diva

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

I agree, giving cutters a wipe over with a glue remover regularly works wonders. Not only the blade, but any edges the blade runs along/against too. Scissors too, although I use them a lot less than my guillotines. Can't cut a straight line for the life of me, lol.I find even the non stick scissors benefit from it too. I have medical adhesive remover wipes, as I have a colostomy, and those work just great on pretty much any adhesive, I've found.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-27-2018, 02:41 AM   #5  
Stampin' Fool

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I keep adhesive remover and alcohol packets within easy reach at all times, because glue residue on my scissors, glass mat, or fingers drives me crazy. I’ll admit they’re two of my guilty pleasures. Here’s are the links for anyone interested. I do buy the alcohol wipes at Walgreens when they’re on sale, sometimes they offer a two for price of one special.
Adhesive Remover Pads (100 count)
Alcohol Pads (200 Count)
A Cardmaking Journey in Progress

Last edited by Annecards; 11-27-2018 at 02:47 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-27-2018, 04:39 AM   #6  
Gallery Gazer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Similar to Annecards, I frequently grab an alcohol wipe to swipe across my scissor blades. They can be purchased at any drug store and are kept in a desk drawer for easy grabbing.

Purell is nearby for glass mat cleaning a la Tim Holtz. I had a huge bottle I used for refilling small bottles (that are kept in the car and handbag) that was expired and it works well.

Not for tools, but Un do is used sometimes too, even to remove adhered paper from cards without ruining them (!) but I don’t love the scraper that’s attached so use a toolsimilar to this one:

https://www.amazon.com/Scotty-Peeler...4VKEKZMV3&th=1
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-28-2018, 02:50 AM   #7  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 78 Likes on 42 Posts

I use Un-du on my tools; it evaporates so quickly, there's not much chance of it doing any harm and it doesn't leave a residue. A long time ago I bought cloth diapers specifically for use in my craft room. I squirt a little on the diaper, and use it to clean my scissors, craft knife, rotary cutter and use Un-du to straighten crooked layers.

I use an old toothbrush to clean the track in my Fiskars trimmer - it fills up with paper dust so easily with some of my handmade paper.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-28-2018, 07:22 AM   #8  
Insane Embellisher

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by shazsilverwolfView Post
I agree, giving cutters a wipe over with a glue remover regularly works wonders. Not only the blade, but any edges the blade runs along/against too. Scissors too, although I use them a lot less than my guillotines. Can't cut a straight line for the life of me, lol.I find even the non stick scissors benefit from it too. I have medical adhesive remover wipes, as I have a colostomy, and those work just great on pretty much any adhesive, I've found.

Yes, I use "CareTouch Alcohol prep pads" from Amazon (bx of 100) on my scissors and all cutters every few mos. I saw that on a video once. I've learned that sometimes oil is good (also silicone spray) for adhesive remover also
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-28-2018, 10:37 AM   #9  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni
Demo Challenge Leader
Splitcoast Challenge Host

Location: South of Oklahoma, North of DFW Airport = North Texas!
Received 243 Likes on 129 Posts

Gosh ... I didn't know that 'adhesive remover' pads are available for special skin care needs! My darling Daddy sure could have benefitted. ;) As far as crafty adhesive, I've had the same bottle of Goo-Gone for several years. It's in the last 1/5 of its volume, and the replacement bottle already sits in the utility room (for label removing from gifts, glass, yada yada). If I don't have round cotton pads available for wiping it on, I just fold up 1/2 paper towel and rub away with Goo-Gone. It's a citrus oil product, so I occasionally need to wipe away residue with a small bit of rubbing alcohol. For me, it's a 'must have'. ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-29-2018, 10:07 AM   #10  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I use a rubber eraser to take sticky residue off my scissors and blades, especially with 'Be Creative' / Sookwang tape. That stuff is ultra-clingy. Proper maintenance goes a long way!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-29-2018, 11:35 PM   #11  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

Here goes the OCD post. I clean my tools after every session. I know, I know. ;) I sharpen my scissors, clean the blades, sharpen all my trimmers, e-cutter blades, wipe down everything I used, and do refills.

I use to work in a sewing department. The ladies were vigilant about maintaining their scissors after we closed for the night. We sharpened and cleaned them every night. I know this is where I got my cleaning bug.

To this day when I have fabric cut and see my fabric being sawed off with a bad pair of scissors I cringe.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-16-2018, 01:36 PM   #12  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 106 Likes on 63 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by bjeansView Post
Similar to Annecards, I frequently grab an alcohol wipe to swipe across my scissor blades. They can be purchased at any drug store and are kept in a desk drawer for easy grabbing.

Purell is nearby for glass mat cleaning a la Tim Holtz. I had a huge bottle I used for refilling small bottles (that are kept in the car and handbag) that was expired and it works well.

Not for tools, but Un do is used sometimes too, even to remove adhered paper from cards without ruining them (!) but I don’t love the scraper that’s attached so use a tool similar to this one:

https://www.amazon.com/Scotty-Peeler...4VKEKZMV3&th=1

I looked at the link, & wonder if a painting knife wouldn't do the same thing? Probably a cheap plastic one, so as not to rip the paper when you're sliding it between layers. Just a thought! Thanks for the link!

Proud Dirty Dozen Design Team Alumna!
Featured Stamper #564
Blog: Andrea's Paper Antics
SCS Gallery

Illegitimi non carborundum
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-16-2018, 03:55 PM   #13  
Gallery Gazer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Sure worth a try! Looking at the one I have, it’s a little slanted/narrow at the end, which helps me. And the Undo one is fine - I just find it a little clumsy to use, aka I’m a little clumsy. :shock:
Reply With Quote Likes