Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 12-21-2008, 04:51 PM   #1  
Rubber Obsessor

Default Tonic trimmer -- 6" or 12" base?

Yet another paper trimmer post . . . . My Cutterpede just broke, and I was never thrilled with it anyway so I clearly am going to choose something else. I don't have a ton of room as I work in a non-dedicated space (the dining room table). I scrapbook (12x12 format) and do cards.

After looking at all the recent paper trimmer threads, I'm leaning towards the Tonic trimmer with the 6" base, because it seems like it will work well for me and it's more compact than the model with the 12" base or or the Making Memories trimmer. My question is, is there a functionality, durability, or other reason to go with the Tonic trimmer with the 12" base instead of the one with the 6" base? I am especially concerned about cutting accuracy and the durability of the fold-out ruler on the 6" base model, as the fold-out ruler is what broke on the Cutterpede.

All things being equal, smaller is clearly better for me, but I am at the point where my primary goal is to get something that works really well, and if I have to rearrange everything to make it fit, so be it.

So I would LOVE to hear any thoughts comparing the 12" base and 6" base Tonic models. Thank you!!

Cynthia
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 12-21-2008, 05:16 PM   #2  
Inking Addict

Well the arm isn't really a fold out on the 6" base Tonic one. When not in use, it actually comes off and stores underneath making it portable. It seems pretty sturdy to me. I have had many trimmers this one seems to be the best I have found. I like that it doesn't take up a lot of counter space. That is too precious to me when trying to work on scrapbook layouts.
Old 12-21-2008, 05:16 PM   #3  
Glitter Guru

I have the 6 inch base and love it!
Old 12-21-2008, 05:23 PM   #4  
Insane Embellisher

I have the 12" base one and let me tell you it is great, but it is huge. I just got a new desk and thought that it would be big enough to store my new trimmer yeah right. I do love my trimmer, but if you are short on space the 12" may not be for you.
Old 12-21-2008, 06:01 PM   #5  
Stampin' Fool

Location: Somewhere in the middle...closer to there, nearer to here...

I've got the 12 inch base, and like Sammssmom1 said, "it's huge." It work great though and was a good investment for me. I can't speak to the 6 inch base one though.

My 182.5 day Photo Blog
Old 12-21-2008, 07:07 PM   #6  
Kookie Creator

I have the 12 inch base model and I love it. It don't have to worry about inaccurate measurements becaue of the jog with the extnesion. Just a quirk of mine. I got it at Joann.com with a coupon so it was a great deal.
Old 12-21-2008, 07:10 PM   #7  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by mazzygirlView Post
I have the 12 inch base model and I love it. It don't have to worry about inaccurate measurements becaue of the jog with the extnesion. Just a quirk of mine. I got it at Joann.com with a coupon so it was a great deal.
I agree you don't have to worry about inaccuracy because of the extension arm, which was something I worried about constantly with my cutterpede.
Old 12-21-2008, 08:25 PM   #8  
Rubber Obsessor

Default thank you!

The quest for the Holy Grail of paper trimmers continues! I just ordered the 6" base one with a 50% coupon from joanns.com. The size thing seems pretty critical for me, and it's encouraging to hear good things about the 6" base one. It's funny how things that do not look huge in their pictures are enormous in person (like the ATG, which I will never own, having viewed it in person). Hope springs eternal that this paper trimmer will work out well. It's very encouraging to hear positive comments.

Thanks to all from someone who usually lurks, but thinks this is the best papercrafting site out there!!!
Old 12-22-2008, 03:30 AM   #9  
Kookie Creator

good choice! I have the 6" base and LOVE it! It cuts really well and the arm is really sturdy. I have way too little space on my crafting table so there's no way I could have a 12", there's just enough room for the 6".

You'll enjoy using it =)
Old 12-22-2008, 05:13 AM   #10  
Insane Embellisher

I have the 6 inch base and it's great BUT in hindsight I would have bought the 12 inch (actually I'll probably get a 12 inch in addition to my 6)

The only negative thing I find with the 6 inch is that cutting at the 6 inch mark is a bit tricky bc the grid lines end at 5.5". I find it frusterating to cut at the 6 inch mark.

Other than that LOVE my cutter. The 6 inch is also easy to carry with you if you need to.
Old 12-22-2008, 07:26 AM   #11  
Polyshrink Goddess

I started out with the 6" base and hated it. I had a hard time getting accurate measurements around the 6 to 7 inch mark. I got rid of the 6" base and bought the 12" base. It takes up more room, but it is much easier to use and your paper lies flat. I also have the Making Memories trimmer. It is easier to use than the 6" tonic. I usually use the MM trimmer folded up. The MM is great for paper. I have the tonic for use with chipboard or when I have a lot of the same size paper to cut.
Old 12-22-2008, 07:29 AM   #12  
Stazon Splitcoast

I love my Tonic 12". At first I was worried about the size, but I adjusted and now I love it. I do still use my trusty Fiskars cutter for the last 8 years though when doing smaller pieces. It is the best, but I love it.
Old 12-22-2008, 07:37 AM   #13  
Glitter Guru

I have the 6" one--just bought it from SU (same as tonic) and I really like it. I agree about having to "estimate" at 6" but I can cut 12x12 cs with accuracy! I really like it's size and the accuracy! I will add that the handle is removable like the ruler and it can be stored underneath. The handle has suddenly popped off while I was using it and it was a little startling both times. I don't think anyone saw it, but I'd be a little nervous to use it in public j/k.
Old 12-22-2008, 07:44 AM   #14  
Glitter Queen

I guess I am measurement challenged; I often miss measured when using my cutters that were smaller than the full 12 inches. I bought the 12 inch and I am very happy with it. They are big but the size is a non issue now that I am able to cut accurately and do not have the frustration of wasting time and paper!
Old 12-22-2008, 08:57 AM   #15  
Rubber Obsessor

Default interesting...

I guess there's no way to know for sure until I try it, but hopefully the 6" will work out and also be portable. I don't need to take it with me a lot, but it would be good to have something that is at least somewhat portable. Also, thanks for the warning about the handle being removable! I can totally see where that would startle me too.

I added some measurements onto the Cutterpede ruler where it had a gap using my labelmaker, I wonder if that will be helpful or necessary for the 6" Tonic...

And the search for the Holy Grail of paper trimmers continues! It seems likely that the 12" is the safest choice (Tonic or MM), but given my limited space, I have to give the 6" base a try. I feel very encouraged by the generally favorable reviews. Thanks!

Cynthia
Old 12-22-2008, 09:13 AM   #16  
Insane Embellisher

OK, I'm glad to see I'm not the only one that has issues cutting in the 5.5 to 7 inch range on the 6 inch base
Old 12-22-2008, 09:26 AM   #17  
Die Cut Diva

I just bought the 6" base SU/Tonic trimmer to take with me when I crop.

I have a heavy duty Carl 220e that I use when I'm doing precision cutting.

I hope I don't regret the 6" table top trimmer. I just can't carry a 12" base with me outside the house and anything is better than the Cutterpede that I was using. LOL~ I swear my Cutterpede was built crooked. I never once got a straight cut with it. (It's one of the pink ones).
Old 12-22-2008, 12:44 PM   #18  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by deborahmeganView Post
The handle has suddenly popped off while I was using it and it was a little startling both times. I don't think anyone saw it, but I'd be a little nervous to use it in public j/k.
Not that I'm glad that this has happened to someone else.... but boy was I surprised when it happened (more than once) to me... Was wondering if I put it on right... was going to e-mail them and ask about it....

I am glad I got the 12", while it's bigger, I made a space for it and it's always ready to go without flipping things around and I can go from project to project...
Old 12-22-2008, 12:54 PM   #19  
Stazon Splitcoast

I have the same heavy duty Carl and then the Tonic 6 base cutter. I feel that I need both. I also have a Fiskars for smaller cuts. I have not had great success with cutting smaller pieces on the Tonic. The Tonic is easy to transport and self-sharpens, which is a nice savings vs. the Fiskars or even the Carl (though a blade on the Carl lasts a LONG time).
Old 12-22-2008, 01:26 PM   #20  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

I have the 6" base and LOVE it. But looking back, I'm wishing I would have gotten the 12" one. I don't travel and my table is pretty big to fit it. I hate having to take the arm out and put it on, then take it off for storage, etc. But I do find it's pretty sturdy.
Old 12-22-2008, 01:32 PM   #21  
Stazon Splitcoast

Well ladies, I have BOTH of them and I love them both. I use the 6" the most though....it is great for those small trimming cuts. The 12" I use the most for cutting large quantities of cards...but I love it too. The blade works great, and never is uneven.

I know this really doesn't help you...but GET BOTH!
Old 12-22-2008, 04:35 PM   #22  
Kookie Creator

I have the 12" base and don't regret it. I didn't want another trimmer with an arm like my cutterpede.
Old 12-22-2008, 06:43 PM   #23  
Rubber Obsessor

Default oh, shoot!

Quote:

Originally Posted by annie21211View Post
I have the 12" base and don't regret it. I didn't want another trimmer with an arm like my cutterpede.
I hope I don't regret the 6" tonic. But that cutterpede had to go... well, it did, and not through any choice of mine (the swing arm snapped, so I agree that the arm situation was less than ideal, given the frequently inaccurate cuts and the fact that it simply wasn't sturdy). Can't say I loved it, but it was so petite that I made do.

But I definitely feel some buyer's remorse hearing comments about the 12"!! Waiting to get the 6" base from joanns.com, and hoping it works well given my limited space. My husband has had to listen to me lament the paper trimmer situation since the cutterpede snapped last week, and he wants to know why no one makes a good compact cutter. A question I have long asked!
Old 12-22-2008, 07:38 PM   #24  
Stazon Splitcoast

I stamp in a closet, and that is why space is really at a minimum for me. But the 6" didn't disappoint. Let us know what you think of your new cutter once you receive it. Congratulations!