Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 09-24-2018, 11:17 AM   #41
Glitter Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by muscrat View Post
Get this....my LSS, who does not own a computer, says some people are telling her you can hammer on the glass mat! Even the instructions on the sales sites tell you NOT to hammer on it! I wonder if the person that told her tried it? Apparently not if its still in one piece! As for the extra tools, I was tempted to get one last time I was out, but now I'm glad I didn't! Ę oh my gosh! Holding the dollar sign DOES bring up other characters! Thanks for that tip!

The small things that make us happy! Ę Iím holding down some other keys to find extra characters. ß ` ę Č ó ē ° Ņ Ö

Tempered glass is tough but certainly will break if hit hard enough. Itís manufactured to break into tons of rough-edged pieces, so itís less dangerous than regular glass that breaks into splinters and shards. Iíd broken sheets on purpose to make kiln-formed glass bowls. I posted about it on some thread - maybe this one.

Gentle hammering with a rubber hammer *may* be okay, but I wouldnít even do that in case internal stress eventually makes it go KABOOM. (The pieces can suddenly fly when the it breaks, so we used to cover it with an old tablecloth or part of a sheet when breaking it on purpose.)

Last edited by bjeans; 09-24-2018 at 11:38 AM..
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
grateful2bsaved and muscrat like this post.
Old 09-24-2018, 12:37 PM   #42
Crimping Master

Wonder if that is someone hating on TH. Talk about invalidating your warranty. Thatís as silly as hammering on your windshield. I donít have much need to hammer when Iím stamping.
grateful2bsaved, muscrat and fifiwesfan like this post.
Old 09-24-2018, 02:08 PM   #43
Proud Fan Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maryalena View Post
Wonder if that is someone hating on TH. Talk about invalidating your warranty. Thatís as silly as hammering on your windshield. I donít have much need to hammer when Iím stamping.

I don't really think that is the case. She sounded excited to know that it was super tough! LOL. And I agree, not much use for a hammer when stamping. I can see it now. " what were you doing when it broke?". "Hammering on it! ". TH says duh! LOL warranty voided!
grateful2bsaved, Annecards and fifiwesfan like this post.
Old 10-05-2018, 03:30 PM   #44
Proud Fan Club Member

I went to my LSS today and made sure to tell her to tell that customer you cannot hammer on the glass or it will break. I also told her that it does scratch too. But I use mine for coloring and color blending.
Old 10-06-2018, 04:36 AM   #45
Proud Fan Club Member

Hereís a little tidbit about safety glass, requirement for all vehicles. When teaching EMTís rescue strategy and equipment use we took the class to the junk yard for hands on practice. They were always amazed how quickly and easily an entire window would shatter into thousands of pieces using a ball point pen or similar pointy sturdy object aimed at the safety emblem. All are intentionally manufactured with the weak spot right on the emblem.
A Cardmaking Journey in Progress
Paula in GA, jnsyr and PikkuLilla like this post.
Old 10-06-2018, 07:41 AM   #46
Die Cut Diva

So thankful for this thread. I have a question on-topic, but a different direction: so if the claim is that it keeps stuff off your work surface, I assume that's b/c its on feet and elevated above your work surface (?).

That would be a natural result of the elevation - so here's the question: does stuff slip underneath (and get lost)? I was afraid that small things would somehow slide (you know how things seem to move on their own while you're working), and you are working with paper, does it slide beneath and have to be hunted for?
I was tempted to buy one of these early on, but the prices seemed to jump up and then free shipping was eliminated - just made it too pricey.

I'm thankful to hear alternatives that others use. Definitely worth looking into.
Old 10-06-2018, 07:44 AM   #47
Die Cut Diva

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annecards View Post
Hereís a little tidbit about safety glass, requirement for all vehicles. When teaching EMTís rescue strategy and equipment use we took the class to the junk yard for hands on practice. They were always amazed how quickly and easily an entire window would shatter into thousands of pieces using a ball point pen or similar pointy sturdy object aimed at the safety emblem. All are intentionally manufactured with the weak spot right on the emblem.

Seriously? That is so interesting. Don't know when I'll use that info, but sounds like interesting party talk!
Old 10-06-2018, 08:29 AM   #48
Proud Fan Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by binx View Post
So thankful for this thread. I have a question on-topic, but a different direction: so if the claim is that it keeps stuff off your work surface, I assume that's b/c its on feet and elevated above your work surface (?).

That would be a natural result of the elevation - so here's the question: does stuff slip underneath (and get lost)? I was afraid that small things would somehow slide (you know how things seem to move on their own while you're working), and you are working with paper, does it slide beneath and have to be hunted for?
I was tempted to buy one of these early on, but the prices seemed to jump up and then free shipping was eliminated - just made it too pricey.

I'm thankful to hear alternatives that others use. Definitely worth looking into.

Anything thin like copy paper, dies, etc could slide underneath it. But nothing thicker. It doesn't stand up all that high, but I just tried and can slide paper and thin dies under it.
Old 10-06-2018, 08:31 AM   #49
Proud Fan Club Member

I've never lost anything under it, but mine sits on my area and stops at the edge of my table. So I'm more likely to drop something on the floor rather than lose it under the mat.
JBgreendawn and jkaymac like this post.
Old 10-06-2018, 03:04 PM   #50
Proud Fan Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by binx View Post
Seriously? That is so interesting. Don't know when I'll use that info, but sounds like interesting party talk!
Iím totally serious, itís taught to rescue personnel during training. Itís a priceless bit of knowledge to have if someone becomes unresponsive in a locked or trapped in a burning vehicle. Not sure what made me think of this when talking about the glass mat, maybe the thought of someone pounding on one???

Last edited by Annecards; 10-06-2018 at 03:11 PM..
muscrat and maryalena like this post.
Old 10-07-2018, 06:35 AM   #51
Stampin' Fool

A fireman's wife once told me if you are trapped in car and need to break the glass to yank the headrest out and use the metal rods to break the glass.

Do y'all really like your TH media mat? I guess I'm missing something because I see it as yet another unnecessary thing to spend $money$ on. Not being ugly but for the life of me I just don't get it.
Old 10-07-2018, 07:04 AM   #52
Pearl-ExPert

I really liked it when I saw a video with Tim demonstrating it. And, the price was pretty reasonable, unlike some of our toys. But, I don't have that much room in my work area for it to live comfortably. When our microwave died some years ago it had a small glass tray. I removed the glass, stored it in case it was needed, and then decided I could use it for ink application. It doesn't have the lines, etc., but works just fine with sponging on color. Just sayin'.
PikkuLilla likes this post.
Old 10-07-2018, 07:15 AM   #53
Proud Fan Club Member

Mine wasn't expensive, so I got it. Love it,. You can use other glass but the surface of this is so smooth. My microwave glass is textured so I wouldn't use it for my ink blending.
grateful2bsaved likes this post.
Old 10-07-2018, 07:24 AM   #54
Stazon Splitcoast

I have to laugh about the "why would a stamper hammer" comments. Back in the day with eyelets, we all did a whole lot of hammering with those cute small hammers!
muscrat, PikkuLilla and Annecards like this post.
Old 10-07-2018, 07:29 AM   #55
Proud Fan Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illinois Marge View Post
I have to laugh about the "why would a stamper hammer" comments. Back in the day with eyelets, we all did a whole lot of hammering with those cute small hammers!

That was before I bought the Big Bite! LOL. Then I gave away my hammer and eyelet punches! I still use eyelets, but sure don't need as many as I have !
Old 10-07-2018, 07:50 AM   #56
Glitter Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by stampin stacy View Post
A fireman's wife once told me if you are trapped in car and need to break the glass to yank the headrest out and use the metal rods to break the glass.

Do y'all really like your TH media mat? I guess I'm missing something because I see it as yet another unnecessary thing to spend $money$ on. Not being ugly but for the life of me I just don't get it.

You’re right, for you. “I don’t get it” was my first (and second) reaction. But others have found it useful. And I bought it (!). It was at an extremely low price at JoAnn for a short time, with free shipping, and I was curious, being a bona fide tool addict.

What I had before worked well: a large self-healing cutting mat covered with a tan Ranger mat folded over it and taped in the back.

- The way ink smooshes onto it. Backgrounds, blending and Distress Oxides are a big part of my crafting. The glass is a better surface for mixing any inks, picking up ink, or stamping off Oxide inks before applying - and later using the stamped off ink. Nothing beads up and colors are is more visible/truer against the black or white.

- The lines are handy when remembered - including for centering, rather than pulling out a centering ruler.

- A silly mental benefit: clean-up feels easier. Maybe it isn’t, and it’s just enjoyable to have a smooth, sparkling glass surface more than a not-my-favorite-color tan mat. Don’t get me wrong; the Ranger mats are terrific and the only one I liked. (The Ken Oliver one adored cat/dog hairs.)

- A future benefit? Buying the T-stick instead of using a separate T-ruler, if an issue is solved. I wrote to Tonic about it twice and in their last email they asked for my phone number. Probably to yell at me.

- For standard stamping and assembling there wouldn’t be much of a benefit other than the lines and eventually the T-stick thing. Except clean-up is nice and there’s the crow-like bright and shiny thing.

Just my take; YMMV and should.

Beth
TeeGeeDee, muscrat and maryalena like this post.
Old 10-07-2018, 08:18 AM   #57
Proud Fan Club Member

I used to do all my ink blending on paper and then toss the paper, so no more waste! I do have a craft mat, but that moves about when inking or cleaning. The glass mat stays in place!
maryalena and bjeans like this post.
Old 10-07-2018, 01:49 PM   #58
Proud Fan Club Member

I, too, bought it a joann dot com very cheaply with free shipping. My previous workspace was based on a desk calendar, about 20 X 24 with throw-away paper pages because they were previous years'. I have the tan silicone mats but they stay rolled up in their boxes, so uncurling them for use was a hassle. I also have Heidi Swapp bluegreen silicone mat (michaels' half off) but it didn't allow things to slide on the surface.
I now have a nice smooth surface to work on, and it actually makes me keep my work table clearer. I haven't peeled away the white rectangle on the right yet to see what to do there, but I saw a video about mixing colors, etc.

I like it.
muscrat and bjeans like this post.
Old 10-07-2018, 02:05 PM   #59
Glitter Guru

I haven’t used the white mat - keep forgetting about it thoughit’s nearby. I forgot - playing with alcohol inks on the glass mat works nicely. It’s large enough that when bottles drip or a mess is made, it’s contained fairly well.
muscrat likes this post.
Old 10-07-2018, 03:14 PM   #60
Proud Fan Club Member

I took the white mat off. Haven't used it yet.
bjeans likes this post.
Old 10-07-2018, 04:56 PM   #61
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Bionic ChatboxChick

I do like mine, and this is why.

I stamp on a plastic folding costco table that is set up to counter height ( I am 5'9" tall) so, in the center of that table it has a hump. its also concave in a length wise way so, the plastic table is not flat and has saggy spots and high spots.

I have placed this glass mat into the very center on the edge I stand at, this spans the hump and some of the sag. ( yes, if I press in the top corners I can "rock it" ) but, I don't actually press in those spots.

the other thing I really love about this is the non porous glass aspect. I do a lot of smoosh an inkpad into something and pick up ink with an aqua brush for quick coloring type things and having that blank corner to smoosh ink into is so much easier to clean with glass cleaner and a rag than hauling all my clear blocks down stairs to a sink to rinse left over ink off of them.

I did remove the sheet from the corner and toss it into the pile of the rest of mine.

so, because of those reason's I am glad I bought one.

I also do not pound eyelets with a hammer on this table ( it shakes) I have always carried a tiny cutting mat and my hammer and tools to a wooden windowsill for that kind of thing, but not in many years so. I am not really worried about breaking it.
I have not lost anything under it.

I have scratched it, ( dunno how but suspect an upside down die being slid to pick up did it)

My Blog
muscrat and bjeans like this post.
Old 10-08-2018, 04:14 AM   #62
Proud Fan Club Member

Thought someone may be interested in another option. It’s costly, but if you read farther I was thinking about another similar option someone may want to opt for. I had always used a 12” glass mat for crafting. When looking for a larger mat last year, before the Tim Holtz was revealed, I found the mat I wanted. My DH purchased a 17” Artograph LightPad Pro for our 40th wedding anniversary. It’s white background, lighting options, waterproof, heat and scratch resistant tempered glass surface are my perfect craft mat dream come true. The entire surface controls and all are protected under a solid sheet of tempered glass. I don’t miss a grid, and it is made to accommodate a T-ruler.

I had a smaller lightpad, but the glass was flimsy and even moved when pressed too hard. It broke during our cross country move. I was watching some videos before posting and the Cricut lightpad, even though it’s not a company many favor, may be an ideal alternative to the Artograph. I’ve not researched past this, so there may be others with features like the Artograph out now.

Last edited by Annecards; 10-08-2018 at 04:20 AM..
fl_beachbum and PikkuLilla like this post.
Old 11-15-2018, 08:20 PM   #63
Glitter Queen

I love my Tim Holtz mat and my work area actually does stay free of excess supplies. My friends mat must have been defective as her supplies would jump on the mat and start mating. I fixed it for her by adding a lot of largerl acrylic pads on the bottom of her mat so it sat higher.
fifiwesfan and Bohodiva like this post.
Old 11-15-2018, 09:34 PM   #64
Proud Fan Club Member

Would so love one of these mats...maybe Santa will be kind to me. I just have to find somewhere in Oz (WA) who sells these. Happy day

Hawaiian likes this post.
Old 11-16-2018, 06:43 AM   #65
Glitter Queen

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozpom View Post
Would so love one of these mats...maybe Santa will be kind to me. I just have to find somewhere in Oz (WA) who sells these. Happy day

I got mine on Amazon for $38.00 with free shipping and it arrived in 3 days. My health insurance gives me a $50. gift card each year if I do certain exams such as a dexa-scan so technically I got it free.
pepperann and Bohodiva like this post.
Old 11-21-2018, 07:09 PM   #66
Insane Embellisher

in addition to using the mat, I use a heavy sheet protector with two sheets of graph paper separated by a piece of cardstock inside for assembly. I place it under my project since I have a tendency to tilt my card to the side when I layer. The worksheet can be tilted in the same direction to follow the gridlines for easier placement.
Old 11-21-2018, 07:14 PM   #67
Glitter Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bohodiva View Post
in addition to using the mat, I use a heavy sheet protector with two sheets of graph paper separated by a piece of cardstock inside for assembly. I place it under my project since I have a tendency to tilt my card to the side when I layer. The worksheet can be tilted in the same direction to follow the gridlines for easier placement.

Brilliant! Thank you.

Beth
Old 04-08-2019, 10:23 AM   #68
Matboard Maniac

Question, for those of you who have the TH Glass Mat, can you use your MISTI on top of it?
Old 04-08-2019, 11:04 AM   #69
Glitter Guru

I use my Tim Holts platform on it all the time, Misti occasionally, but either is fine.
Wonder Chica likes this post.
Old 04-08-2019, 01:17 PM   #70
Matboard Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjeans View Post
I use my Tim Holts platform on it all the time, Misti occasionally, but either is fine.

Cool! Thanks so much, finally started using my MISTI more and am thinking of getting the glass mat as I'm making a mess with my inks, lol. Thank you.
bjeans likes this post.
Old 04-08-2019, 01:21 PM   #71
Glitter Guru

I might not stand up and put all my weight on it - and I must say that would be quite a bit of weight - but the glass mat is really strong. I did manage to put a tiny scratch on it somehow. But it’s glass, not diamond, so that can happen, and I quickly forgot about it.

I hope you enjoy it. I used a regular Ranger/Tim mat for years, wrapped around and taped to the back of a self-healing cutting mat, just for sturdiness, and that worked well.
Old 04-08-2019, 10:45 PM   #72
Watercolor Wizard

I was all set to order a TH glass mat when one of our refrigerators quit (2nd time) and repair was too expensive to justify. Before the new fridge was delivered we removed some of the parts for easier transport.
When doing this I discovered a long removable glass shelf with smooth edges. It was a nice long rectangular size and fit nicely on one of my work surfaces. I have been using it for several months now, in the same manner as the TH glass mat owners describe, and I am loving it! Very handy to have an oversized surface to work on, it doesn’t slip around on my work table and it works great for ink blending and smooshing.
And it never, ever occurred to me to use a hammer on it, and I won’t be tempted to do so!
TeeGeeDee, Alice in Md, Cook22 and 2 others like this post.
Old 04-26-2019, 12:13 PM   #73
Kookie Creator

I just got it and love it--though it's odd to have that cool glass against my skin when I don't expect it--I'll appreciate it this summer!

I previously had a very large self-healing mat I got on Amazon--but the bright colors were distracting--and it started measuring at the wrong corner for me--really drove me crazy. I like the extra height, too. I like that it is black--the contrast against other paper is wonderful. I also appreciate the white section--loving it for color blending!

I am not so thrilled with the add-on pack. I wish the ruler wrapped around the mat--although it rests up against one edge, it feels very loose. I do love that one edge is beveled and the other is metal. The scraper is just another scraper, though it is a nice size.
Old 10-14-2019, 04:31 PM   #74
Die Cut Diva

Travel size with case - both left & right: http://frame.bloglovin.com/?post=714...rame_type=none
Old 11-06-2019, 09:47 PM   #75
Proud Fan Club Member

If anyone is in the market for the TH glass media mat, I found one at the cheapest price I've ever seen $24.99, plus shipping is only $7.95.

I received mine Friday in perfect condition; shipping was speedy.

https://www.craftonlineusa.com/produ...iABEgLPN_D_BwE
TeeGeeDee likes this post.