Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 10-14-2016, 06:58 AM   #1  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 223 Likes on 162 Posts
Default Thoughts on heat tools

Hi, haven't posted in this thread before, so hope I'm doing it right! :-) I need some advice on heat tools, as my old Marvy Uchida heat tool (have had it since I started making cards back in the stone age, when SU! catalog featured other manufacturer's stamps & inkpads-yikes!) has given up the ghost! I need to go shopping for a new one, but thought I'd fish for ideas here first! :-) Thanks for any and all opinions!

-----liz
LizBeth1976
"Make it your ambition to lead a quiet life, to mind your own business and to work with your hands, ..." ~~1 Thess. 4:11 (NIV)
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-14-2016, 07:06 AM   #2  
Matboard Maniac

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Like you I have an old one from when I started stamping. I will be watching this for when the time comes and mine is no longer working.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-14-2016, 07:29 AM   #3  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Quote:

Originally Posted by sditz1View Post
Like you I have an old one from when I started stamping. I will be watching this for when the time comes and mine is no longer working.
Mine developed a "cool spot" a few months ago. I have been 'limping' it along and doing some creative circling when trying to emboss! :-) But yesterday it just wasn't heating things evenly, causing the EP to melt into the CS in some spots, & not melt at all in others. Then the poor heat tool started smoking & smelling awful, so I just turned it off & unplugged it...now I have to hide it from my DH, who thinks he can fix anything! :mrgreen: I just want a new one!
"Make it your ambition to lead a quiet life, to mind your own business and to work with your hands, ..." ~~1 Thess. 4:11 (NIV)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-14-2016, 07:38 AM   #4  
Gallery Gazer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Milwaukee, aka Wagner. Sold by Hero Arts, Ellen Hutson, Amazon, lots more.

My LSS has several types, including that one, and I've used others. No contest. The cardmakers I follow recommend it. Jennifer, etc.

BTW, I bought a silicone holster to hold it when not in use or between embossings during a session, so it's out 100% of the time, which causes me to emboss a lot. If I have to dig something out or walk across the room and set things up, forget it.

The holster has a flap at the top that sits on desk/table, with the part that holds the gun hanging down. No installation. Warning: not good for tiny kids or dogs that would define it as a chew toy. Still handy, but would put it away when not in use.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-14-2016, 07:42 AM   #5  
Stampin' Fool

I use the Milwaukee heat gun, love it! It heats fast and melts embossing powder quickly.

A Cardmaking Journey in Progress
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-14-2016, 07:43 AM   #6  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Thanks, bjeans! Will check that one out.

Mine hangs on a hook on a small chrome organizer right on my craft table! Like you, if it's not out in front of me, I won't use it as much.

Fortunately, I don't have to worry about small children or pets at my house...when the grandkids come over, I have "supervised" crafting in the kitchen! :-) (My craft room is way too small for any crafting company in it!) And my husband is allergic to dogs & cats, so no roaming critters in our house! Oh well... :mrgreen:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-14-2016, 07:49 AM   #7  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Quote:

Originally Posted by AnnecardsView Post
I use the Milwaukee heat gun, love it! It heats fast and melts embossing powder quickly.

For bjeans, too: Thanks for replying! Does this one have a hook or loop for hanging?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-14-2016, 08:04 AM   #8  
Gallery Gazer

https://www.amazon.com/WAGNER-HT-400...aukee+heat+gun

Same one. No hook, maybe the little metal piece that's hinged on to keep it from burning the table top could be used? I kind of doubt it but can check.

Here's the holster. I think it comes in prettier colors now. : D
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

With embossing powders now within reach, and the gun hanging to my right (2 small Ikea tables in an L), I emboss everything.

Suggest heating the gun for about 20 seconds before the first emboss. After embossing a while it doesn't need it. Extremely fast, so don't overcook your powder or paper.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-14-2016, 08:24 AM   #9  
Die Cut Diva

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

If noise is something you want to consider, the Ranger Heat It tool is extremely quit- one of the main reasons I bought it. I was amazed when I saw a demo using it, almost silent. Compared to my original, which always sounded like I had a hovercraft in my room! Also, it does have a hanging loop.
On Ranger site, HERE.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-14-2016, 11:16 AM   #10  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by LizBeth1976View Post
For bjeans, too: Thanks for replying! Does this one have a hook or loop for hanging?
The hinged wire stand that protects the work surface from the hot tip could be hung from a curved hook. I wouldn't trust it from a nail or screw unless they were angled. It's not made for that purpose, but I wiggled it and pulled it a bit and it does seem sturdy.

The photo in this link shows the metal piece better:
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Wagner-He...HT400/46436854

Lots of videos showing it in use; if you want links, yell. Or type.

Beth
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-14-2016, 04:05 PM   #11  
Glitter Guru

Received 369 Likes on 219 Posts

Why not buy another Marvy? It lasted a long time for you. Mine is still going strong after 14 years, and I use it a lot.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-14-2016, 04:59 PM   #12  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScrapjannyView Post
Why not buy another Marvy? It lasted a long time for you. Mine is still going strong after 14 years, and I use it a lot.
Silly me!! I thought the company had gone out of business...don't know where I got that!! :oops: Will check on it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-14-2016, 05:03 PM   #13  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Quote:

Originally Posted by bjeansView Post
The hinged wire stand that protects the work surface from the hot tip could be hung from a curved hook. I wouldn't trust it from a nail or screw unless they were angled. It's not made for that purpose, but I wiggled it and pulled it a bit and it does seem sturdy.

The photo in this link shows the metal piece better:
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Wagner-He...HT400/46436854

Lots of videos showing it in use; if you want links, yell. Or type.

Beth
Maybe I could just use an S-hook, thread the cord thru it??? I have an S-hook on my chrome organizer now--that's what the defunct heat tool was hanging from. Less chance of it heating something flammable!! :-)

Hmm, I'm sure I could figure out a way to hang it somehow...maybe put DH on it, as he is very handy & always willing to come up something to help me out! :-)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-14-2016, 06:34 PM   #14  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 291 Likes on 115 Posts

You could get one of those silicone "pockets" that they make for curling irons to holster it...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-15-2016, 07:30 AM   #15  
Stampin' Fool

I have a Marvy and a Stampin' Up! One. I like both for different reasons. My Marvy heats fast so I like it for quick and easy. My SU one heats slower but has two settings which I like. The lower setting works great for drying ink or water coloring. Good luck in your research. Let us know what you end up with.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-15-2016, 08:57 AM   #16  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by LizBeth1976View Post
Maybe I could just use an S-hook, thread the cord thru it??? I have an S-hook on my chrome organizer now--that's what the defunct heat tool was hanging from. Less chance of it heating something flammable!! :-)

Hmm, I'm sure I could figure out a way to hang it somehow...maybe put DH on it, as he is very handy & always willing to come up something to help me out! :-)
It shouldn't be difficult. An S-hook may very well do the trick. The good news is it would be hanging from the [hot] tip. IOW, the tip wouldn't be at the bottom too close to a wall or other flammable objects. Not that we have very much paper. ;)

This would land on my 5-fave-tools list. Because it heats up faster and is hotter than some other brands, there could be a short (one-time?) adjustment as to how close and how long you hold it to paper. (I've used others.)

B
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-15-2016, 04:26 PM   #17  
Crimping Master

Milwaukee....I have 2 others, this is my fav

BLOG : The Papercraft Place

You Tube: kelley3684
Guest Designer for "Midnight Madness"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-19-2016, 02:36 AM   #18  
Kookie Creator

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I have the papermania 2-speed heat gun but not sure if that is available in the us. It's distributed by docrafts.I have mine hooked on the end of my desk with a commend hook (the metal U type hooks) using the metal stand part. It hooks easily and the hook seems sturdy enough to take the weight - at least it has been for the past 6 months!

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-19-2016, 05:36 AM   #19  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Default Purchased one!

Well, I went to "Stamp Camp" Monday night at my SU! demonstrator's, and decided to go ahead & order the SU! heat tool. We'll see... I like that it has 2 settings. And I know she'll stand by the product if I change my mind... the only downside is waiting for it to get here!

Thanks to everyone who weighed in with your thoughts and advice! Have a great rest-of-the-week!! Happy stamping!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-19-2016, 05:54 AM   #20  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

So funny this topic now! My old Marvy bit the dust this last week also. Interested in the topic.

Eloise
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-19-2016, 08:49 AM   #21  
Compulsive Stamper

Default Heat Tools

I LOVE the newer heat tool sold by SU! for $30 plus tax and shipping. It has TWO heat settings, which is rare in an embosser. I do a lot of watercoloring and Mod Podge, and the cooler setting is perfect to dry things without scorching them or getting bubbles (Mod Podge). The high setting heats up fast enough for me and does a quick job of melting down embossing powder.

I felt the low setting was so important that I bought the SU! tool when my old one-setting tool was working fine. Now I have 2 high temp tools to use for classes so people don't have to wait so long to emboss...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-19-2016, 02:16 PM   #22  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 33 Likes on 17 Posts

Have to add some humor here...I was in need of a "heat gun" for embossing as many here use. Mentioned this to hubby...and a few days later he came home with a Makita heat gun-the one to take off layers of paint, or any other industrial project needing heat! I just chuckled, and then the next day went off to get my Marvy which I still use after all these years. May have to check into the SU two heat setting one mentioned by ketweber. Had no idea there was one out ther. Thanks for the idea!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-20-2016, 07:46 AM   #23  
Hardware Hotshot

This heat tool just keeps chugging along! It's from Paper Studio. I got it about 8 yrs. ago for 40% off from Michael's. I think I paid around $10.00 for it.
Attached Thumbnails
Thoughts on heat tools-image.jpg  
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-10-2016, 03:35 PM   #24  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 246 Likes on 133 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by auntiof8View Post
Have to add some humor here...I was in need of a "heat gun" for embossing as many here use. Mentioned this to hubby...and a few days later he came home with a Makita heat gun-the one to take off layers of paint, or any other industrial project needing heat! I just chuckled, and then the next day went off to get my Marvy which I still use after all these years. May have to check into the SU two heat setting one mentioned by ketweber. Had no idea there was one out ther. Thanks for the idea!
I have used a Makita for embossing for 15 years. I love it and will replace it with the same if this one gives out. Go ahead and use the one your hubby bought. It's perfect!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-16-2016, 07:38 PM   #25  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 1,386 Likes on 517 Posts

I bought a Darice brand one at Pat Catan's 14 years ago and it works just as good as the day I bought it! Now, it does not look nearly as pretty, though....I use it several times a week and it's got paint splotches on it and the brand lettering is wearing off. But I love it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-17-2016, 06:31 AM   #26  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Default Update on SU heat tool

Just thought I'd better check in here with an update on the SU heat tool that I recently (!) purchased: It is AWESOME! I love it! (and Stampin'Up! is NOT paying me to say that! LOL! ) It heats up quickly, melts evenly, and I love the lower setting for quick-drying ink, watercolor, etc. It is easy to handle also--I can manage the on/off switch while I'm holding it. I'm hoping it lasts as long as my old heat tool did!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-24-2016, 01:52 AM   #27  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I was in the middle of my Christmas project when my old heat tool died. Given that I live in the middle of nowhere with not a lot of shopping options I went to Harbor Freight and bought the Drill Master 1500 Watt Dual Temperature Heat Gun. The low setting (572 degrees F, high setting 1112 degrees F) worked perfect to melt the chunky embossing powder I was using. I also liked that I could set the heat gun on it's back with the nozzle pointing straight up and use both hands to hold my project instead of turning the heat gun off and setting it down between multiple projects. Best part it was on sale for $9.00.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-24-2016, 04:47 AM   #28  
Matboard Maniac

I bought a Milwaukee thinking it would be better than my SU tool, faster and no warping.
I just did not see a diff. Still warped the paper, so returned the Milwaukee. Just personal experience.
I've since seen in reviews SU tool made by Milwaukee. Not sure how accurate that info is though.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-24-2016, 05:06 AM   #29  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris01View Post
I bought a Milwaukee thinking it would be better than my SU tool, faster and no warping.
I just did not see a diff. Still warped the paper, so returned the Milwaukee. Just personal experience.
I've since seen in reviews SU tool made by Milwaukee. Not sure how accurate that info is though.
Warmping often means heat applied too long or too close for too long. Letting the heat tool heat up for a good 30 seconds before applying can control that, though the type of paper plays a part in how close and how long.

I have a Milwaukee, and was heat embossing lots of vellum pieces. Vellum likes to warp, at least in my experience. So not staying in one place - hitting the left, then the right, then the bottom, then the left again, etc., for very little time prevented warping. Except when I yawned and the tool got even closer and remained in one place. Then it looked like a roller coaster. : )
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-24-2016, 05:51 AM   #30  
Gallery Gazer

Typo alert, sheesh. I typed "warmping" three times but only caught two. Maybe it wants to be a word. Warm + warp = warmp?
Reply With Quote Likes