Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 05-02-2010, 10:45 AM   #1  
Insane Embellisher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default thinking about Provocraft and how they discontinue things

I am one mad mama because Provocraft discontinued the Coluzzle line. I think they could have at least kept making blades, knives, and mats for those of us (MANY!) who have invested in all their templates. Now I am thinking about my cricut and cuttlebug. Who's to say that in a few years they will flatly discontinue those also. We won't be able to get blades and mats for our cricut (just like coluzzle) and we wont be able to get plates for our cuttlebug. It sure could happen! Then we will have all kinds of money tied up in a system we can't use AGAIN! I have tried to call Provocraft and no one ever answers. I have emailed them several times and only once got a reply: the product line is discontinued.

Provocraft does not seem to realize that their consumers are their bread and butter.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-02-2010, 10:55 AM   #2  
Mad Swapper

I am sure they do realize it and looked at whether or not it would be profitable to continue to produce blades, mats and knives. My guess was that it was not.. Companies don't make decisions like that on a whim and while it is disappointing for the consumer that have to make the right business choice.

I am sure one day way down the line the same thing will happen with Cricut and Cuttlebug, just as it will happen with things like the Big Shot. There is always going to be something better that will come out and eventually it will force companies to phase out other lines of products.

Wishlist
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-02-2010, 10:56 AM   #3  
Hardware Hotshot

Yeah, I agree and I hate it. I've heard bad things about Provocraft customer service, and I repeatedly get the idea that once you buy their stuff you're on your own.
I love my Coluzzle, but I know once that blade wears out I can't use it anymore. It's a great system, and although you can cut out circles on their Cricut and Cuttlebug machines, you can't use them the same way as the Coluzzle. I love it, and everytime somebody new to scrapbooking sees me using it, they want one...not knowing they can't get it anymore. I wish they would at least supply us with mats and blades. There are a lot of us out there who have spent a lot of money on those mats.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-02-2010, 11:21 AM   #4  
Matboard Maniac

Yes, this maddens me also as I have quite a collection of the Coluzzle and fear using my last blade!

Also, I am annoyed at companies that sell things without providing a sensible storage solution for their product. (The Spellbinders 12" Grand Border dies, for example.)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-02-2010, 05:12 PM   #5  
Inking Addict

I have seen "swivel" blades by another manufacturer. Now I will need to put on my thinking cap to remember.

And my last two "mats" came as packing in a package.

Maybe you can find a way to keep using your coluzzle. I don't intend to give up yet!

Barbara
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-02-2010, 05:40 PM   #6  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Xacto makes Swivel craft blades. I don't have a Coluzzle so I don't know if they would work, but it might be worth looking into. They have a craft knife that the blades fit into.

http://www.xacto.com/Product/X245

I don't know what the cutting mats are made out of but I'm pretty sure there would be something similar, either on the crafting market or in other stores, designed for other uses. It's very, very frustrating, but things can't stay on the market really if they don't have a customer base to support them. While there are probably a lot of people who still love and use their Coluzzle, many have chosen different tools now, and if Provo Craft doesn't have the support-market, they simply can't continue to manufacture and sell the items and still clear a profit.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-02-2010, 06:26 PM   #7  
Glitter Guru

Sizzix has put out the eClips, which has mats similar to the Cricut (from pics, anyway). Maybe the eClips consumables will work with the Cricut?

PC says they're bringing out 100 new cartridges and 5 new Cricut machines this year. They've already brought out the Cake machine (which is getting pretty bad reviews overall). It appears they're going to support the line for a while, but who knows for sure.

PC has recently started retiring cartridges. They've announced 8-10 carts going on the block since the start of the year.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-02-2010, 11:38 PM   #8  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

Westimom- I commented on the other thread about this too, lol.

I thought I throw some more comments in if that is Ok with you all.

Eclips does use the same mats and blades. It's a Roland Cutter. Least, what I have seen. I can promise you I know my cutters. Isn't that right Nikki, lol.

Definitely PC is supporting Cricut for a good long while. All those rumors are true. They are really going for continuing development of the Cricut. It was all over CHA's Cricut booth and Cricut board when CHA had their last show in January.

Don't get me started on retiring cartridges. Some of the carts were just goofy they released so please retire them ProvoCraft. Even some of us old timer's are getting a little agitated with the retirement cartridges.

We get it from a bit of their view. They are coming out with lots of cartridges like the rumored Martha Stewart cartridge that has rumored borders and templates. That kind of replaces Tags, Bags, Boxes and More. The one that really leaves me scratching my head is the retirement of Paper Pups. Next month we get the long awaited cat cartridge but they are retiring the puppies. Now all of us long suffering cat fanatics finally got our cart so now all the puppy fans will be without puppies. Does that make any sense?

Some of us long time board members are questioning PC on what we are going to do when our cartridges are retired? We are bit up the creek then you know.

I do get where your coming from. So far the official word from PC is "No, we do not have Coluzzle blades in our warehouse."

PC is a Gocco, lol. Coolest products but "light bulbs" once they are gone they are gone. Gocco fans will get that analogy, lol.

I forgot to write. I have a Xyron Personal Cutting System. Yes, I do like it. I think it's so cute. I work in 4x4 papers a lot so it's easy. They are discontinuing it too. No more blades for our XPCS systems.

Last edited by lylacfey; 05-02-2010 at 11:46 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-03-2010, 11:39 AM   #9  
Insane Embellisher

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default X-Actco swivel blade knife for Coluzzle

Hi, I've been lurking for a long time and just signed up a couple of weeks ago. I wanted to let you know I've been using the X-Acto swivel blade knife with my Coluzzle for several years. I experimented with the X-Acto knife because the Coluzzle blade replacements seemed very pricey. I ended up liking the X-Acto knife better. Replacement blades are easier to find, less expensive, and the knife itself is sturdier. I've never stopped using my Coluzzle!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-03-2010, 04:02 PM   #10  
Pearl-ExPert

Red face

Quote:

Originally Posted by lylacfeyView Post
Some of us long time board members are questioning PC on what we are going to do when our cartridges are retired? We are bit up the creek then you know.
I dont' understand what you mean or how it matters if a cartridge is discontinued ... don't you just continue using them? :confused:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-03-2010, 04:21 PM   #11  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by lylacfeyView Post
Westimom- I commented on the other thread about this too, lol.

I thought I throw some more comments in if that is Ok with you all.

Eclips does use the same mats and blades. It's a Roland Cutter. Least, what I have seen. I can promise you I know my cutters. Isn't that right Nikki, lol.
Very true!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-03-2010, 04:23 PM   #12  
Glitter Guru

I use 60° Roland blades in my Cricut. I get them from an eBay seller in Hong Kong. They work great and cost MUCH less than Cricut brand blades.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-03-2010, 04:34 PM   #13  
Insane Embellisher

I have an unopened package of 2 coluzzle blades that I'll happily give away - just pm me if you want them.

Teri
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-03-2010, 07:28 PM   #14  
Matboard Maniac

Teri, thank you!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-03-2010, 10:10 PM   #15  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by MetalcharmView Post
I dont' understand what you mean or how it matters if a cartridge is discontinued ... don't you just continue using them? :confused:
PC is retiring the cartridges. That is a much better word. . PC will not be making these cartridges any more. I am really glad I started with Cricut when it first came out. I feel so bad for newbies who want to collect. They are going to be paying some high prices for cartridges. Who knows I might be completely wrong. I buy Sizzix dies all the time off Ebay really cheap.

TheOtherMeg- Thank you for the tip about the Roland 60� blades.

Nikki we can use those in our Gazelle. ! We need to stock up.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-03-2010, 07:18 PM   #16  
Matboard Maniac

Hi Ladies!!!
I thought that I would put in my .02. I have just about every Coluzzle template. When I heard that they were retiring them I "stocked up" on my favorite circle and companion circle, square and companion square, oval and companion oval....as well as the blades. However I went out on a mission to find an alternative blade.
I discovered at HL the EXCEL brand swivel knife and refill. I bought them both "to try them out" and I was excited that they worked PERFECTLY!!! I have since repeatedly buy out all they have "blade wise" when I make a trip to HL. I did not keep the packaging on the knife itself however for some insane reason I condense as many blade refills into one of the tubes that come in the package and I actually wrote the BAND and the Item #!!! I am shocked at my self to see that I actually thought ahead on this one.
So...
Excel brand swivel knife
Blade refill #20064 (these refill blades fit into the "Coluzzle" brand knife as well)

I did notice at first that the blade part itself had a slightly different angle...so when I held it up and visually compared them...I was not hopeful...But I did "practice" on my oldest circle template which already had some slight nicks that I had already "fixed" and was PLEASANTLY surprised that it worked!

Hope this helps those of you out there who LOVE the Coluzzle and don't want to RETIRE it from OUR usage.

Blessings,
Valerie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-04-2010, 11:10 AM   #17  
Insane Embellisher

I agree, even if they discontinued the templates, they should at least continue carrying the cutting blades, etc.

There are a few refill blades available here:
http://www.thestampbuzz.com/Search.a...AllWords=False

Please feel free to email me directly, if you have any questions.

Cheerio - isabelle
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-05-2010, 09:46 AM   #18  
Polyshrink Goddess

Are they ever going to release the Picturesque cartridge? It is stupid designing a beautiful cartridge like this and only offering it with a machine sold at obscure places. I don't know where the people on EBay are getting them (unless they are buying the machines with the cartridge and then splitting them up) but they sure go for high prices ($180). I'm definitely not paying that for a cartridge.
Reply With Quote Likes