Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 11-02-2012, 03:04 PM   #1  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is there a difference between SU's Simply Scored & Martha Stewart's score board?

I've seen Martha Stewart's scoring board at Michael's and I'm assuming it's basically the same thing as the one that SU sells.

Are there any differences and do you like either one better?

Pros/cons? I have a 50% off coupon for Michael's and this has been something that I've been looking at getting.

Splitcoast Member #5361 HEY LOOK WHAT I CAN DO!!!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-02-2012, 06:08 PM   #2  
Cardstock Collector

I haven't compared the two but have the Simply Scored from Stampin' Up! I do know it beats the Scor-pal all to pieces! I love that you have grooves every 1/8" and that you can purchase the diagonal plate to go with! I have been VERY happy with my Simply Scored!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-02-2012, 07:12 PM   #3  
Mad Swapper

Received 264 Likes on 109 Posts

I am glad that I have Martha's original scoring board, and it does what I need it to do. Martha recently introduced a much smaller scoring board that would be helpful to cardmakers.

It is my understanding from threads here on SCS that SU!'s diagonal scoring piece will fit on Martha's original large board, but I have not tried that. The SU! Simply Scored has markers which some people especially like when they need to score at the same spot many times; I have marked 4-1/4" on mine with a pencil, and would do the same for other measurements if I needed them many times for a special project.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-02-2012, 07:18 PM   #4  
Matboard Maniac

I have the MS scoring board and love it. It is very similar to the SU one. The SU one is $29.99 and the MS one was $19.99 when I bought it--it may be more now--and with 40% off, it was $12). With a 50% off coupon it's a steal.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-02-2012, 07:24 PM   #5  
Pearl-ExPert

Okay, thanks. I'm heading to Michael's tomorrow anyhow, so I just might pick up the Martha Stewart one. I'd rather spend $10 than $30!!!

Splitcoast Member #5361 HEY LOOK WHAT I CAN DO!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-02-2012, 08:02 PM   #6  
Stampin' Fool

I have the Martha Stewart board; got it at Michael's with a coupon a year or two ago..whenever it came out.

I've used the SU score board at my demo's house. The SU board is slightly sturdier than Martha's. And as someone mentioned it comes with markers that you can slide around the top to mark a spot to score. Convenient if you are making multiples of something.

The stylus that comes with the SU board is MUCH more comfortable to hold and easier to work with than the plastic "bone" folder that comes with Martha's. I found Martha's to be a little painful to hold and that it jumps off the track easily when scoring card stock the weight of SU's. I have other stylus's to use that work for me and I learned to slow down so it works for me. Don't know if the better stylus is worth the extra cost. Plus there will be shipping charges on an SU order.

The diagonal plate was cool to use ( if it really fits the Martha board I may buy it some time ) but it isn't something I would use regularly so again, is it worth the extra cost? It doesn't COME WITH the SU board anyway, I believe you have to buy it separately regardless.

I'm not a demo, don't write a blog or work on design teams. I craft for myself. For me, the cost savings getting a Martha board with a coupon was a big consideration. My only complaint is that the envelope plate that came with mine has measurements that make envelopes a little too big. I think I remember a thread on here about that and maybe by now they have changed it. But it's not a deal breaker either way.

I am very happy with the Martha board. For as often as I use it ( a couple times a month) it has come in very handy and did not take too big of a bite out of my craft budget.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-02-2012, 09:13 PM   #7  
Crimping Master

I have the MS board....use it for every card I make and it has been a very good investment. It's all about getting used to the tools you own I think.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-03-2012, 06:48 AM   #8  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

Cobby -

Agreed that the bone folder with the MS board is lacking. However, if you have an embossing stylus, it works like a dream. If you don't have an embossing stylus, you can get one for not a lot of $$.

The trick with the envelopes is that the measurements that they give assume a heavily embellished card with multiple layers and they're leaving room for that. If you decrease the size of your starting square by 1/8" but score at the same measurements, the envelope will be a better fit.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-03-2012, 06:57 AM   #9  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Both scoreboards are made by EK Success.

Yes, the SU diagonal plate fits in the MS scoreboard and 'locks in' as it would in the SU one.

I use an embossing tool for the MS scoreboard similar to the one SU sells. Mine is a Fiskars. (The SU one might be made by Fiskars since some of their paper cutters, including the new one, are made by Fiskars.) I agree, the scoring tool that comes with the MS scoreboard is flimsy and is uncomfortable for me to use. You have to hold it firmly and move it down the scoreline slowly or else it 'jumps' the track.

All this being said, I still love my ScorePal better. I bought the MS with a coupon because I am a 'tool junkie' and like to try different/new tools.

By the way, one of the Michael's I go to has the MS scoreboards in the MS aqua color. When WalMart used to carry more craft items, I would buy the MS items because they were this color. (I also like color in my life.)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-03-2012, 09:06 AM   #10  
Stampin' Fool

cbet, thanks for the tip about the envelope measurements. I don't make cards with many layers or that are heavily embellished very often; and certainly not when I want to mail them through regular post. So the 1/8" decrease tip is AWESOME!

I do have a stylus tool bought from SU way back when...wood handle with two different size metal "ball" tips. I will grab that if it's within reach when using the Martha board because it's easier on my hands.

Besides the Martha board I also bought the Scor-Buddy. After using the Martha board for a while I realized I liked being able to score paper when needed but the large size of the Martha board made it awkward to move around. The smaller Scor-Buddy gets more use to just score my heavy weight card base so I can get a nice fold without all the cracking.
But I do use the Martha board for envelopes and to score larger pieces of paper.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-03-2012, 01:59 PM   #11  
Die Cut Diva

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have the MS scoreboard and a ScorPal. I use them both (depends which one is not buried under a stack of paper at the time ) and I like both but actually prefer the MS one. I haven't tried the SU one, but aside from the markers, I don't think there really would be anything special about it. And if you have to buy the envelope maker separately, then I would say its not worth it when you can get the envelope template with the MS one for way less than the SU one. I think I may even pass my ScorPal onto my niece since I don't need both and like the MS one better. (just use a different scoring tool - like a dried up ball point pen or a stylus)
Reply With Quote Likes