Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 10-10-2018, 03:32 PM   #1  
Inking Addict

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Default SU Tin Tile Embossing Folder

Well it was love at first sight when I saw the tin tile EF, so I just had to have it. I didn�t bother to remember I have a cuttlebug which is just a tiny smidgen too small for this EF. I do have other SU 6x6 EFs that do go through but they�re either thinner, or a bit smaller on one side. It does actually go through the machine but doesn�t get a good image - I think all the plates and everything get pushed out of whack, like at a very slight diagonal, so the impression is very light. I read through threads here about people cutting down EFs that are too big. I�d really just like to shave a slither off either side, but it�s so thick scissors won�t go through and I keep imagining losing the tip of a finger if I use an exacto knife (eeeeek!).

Really like this EF. Any ideas - or will I have to buy a Gemini Junior (uh-oh!)? TIA!

Stefany. :(

PS not interested in doing the rolling pin thing or any other �hand technique�
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-10-2018, 05:41 PM   #2  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 973 Likes on 472 Posts

This particular folder is SO thick.. I can see why cutting it would be difficult.

I haven’t had my Gemini jr for long, but it’s taking some time to get the sandwich right for different folders. I’m actually afraid to run this one through and break something.. hopefully bjeans or someone will chime in with helpful information for your current machine and the Gemini jr.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-10-2018, 06:44 PM   #3  
Inking Addict

Yes it’s REALLY thick on both halves - and I should clarify that’s it’s the width that’s the problem, being 6”, but the thickness makes it worse - maybe at the very outer tip it’s even wider than 6”?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-11-2018, 04:01 AM   #4  

Received 1,386 Likes on 517 Posts

I have a Cuttlebug, too, and the SU! Cable Knit Dynamic EF, which is also a hair too wide. I am taking it to my local hardware store to ask them if they can cut down the width. I figured they had to have a cutter that could handle this folder. If not, I have two neighbors that have huge workshops in their garages with every tool known to man - I'll ask them for help!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-11-2018, 04:06 AM   #5  
Gallery Gazer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by fl_beachbumView Post
This particular folder is SO thick.. I can see why cutting it would be difficult.

I haven�t had my Gemini jr for long, but it�s taking some time to get the sandwich right for different folders. I�m actually afraid to run this one through and break something.. hopefully bjeans or someone will chime in with helpful information for your current machine and the Gemini jr.

I agree that folders are the toughest, since thickness varies so much between companies and even within the same company. (After figuring it out I note the sandwich on a sticky note in the folder.)

For Gem Jr. I start with the sandwich in the manual, which almost always works. If not, I adjust by looking at thicknesses: plates thickest, then plastic shim, and magnetic shim thinnest.

3D embossing sandwich (for Crafters Companion):
plastic shim (instead of top cutting plate) - top
e-folder with CS
magnetic shim
base cutting plate - bottom

But if this e-folder is crazy thick, try pulling out the magnetic shim. If that�s too loose, maybe add pieces of CS, which are thinner than the magnetic shim. IOW, fool around - carefully.

The Gemini should reject something too thick. A little scary though! Press the middle button for about 20 seconds if it jams.

Same experimenting with the C-bug, though I haven�t used it for some time.

Good luck and post what you figure out!
Beth

Last edited by bjeans; 10-13-2018 at 02:39 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-11-2018, 12:56 PM   #6  
Inking Addict

I like the idea of going to the hardware - maybe I’ll let them cut another one I don’t care about so much first. I shall report back in case anyone else is as stupid as me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-12-2018, 05:37 PM   #7  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 973 Likes on 472 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by KSStammperView Post
I like the idea of going to the hardware - maybe I�ll let them cut another one I don�t care about so much first. I shall report back in case anyone else is as stupid as me.

Aw, don�t call yourself names!! I like your idea of taking another one first! Good way to play it safe!

Beth (bjeans) thank you for the info and the sticky note suggestion. It will be good to have a reminder about what worked for that specific folder right where I need it.

Reply With Quote Likes