Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 08-17-2008, 06:02 AM   #1  
Cardstock Collector

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is the SU Big Shot worth the $$$?

I am a new demonstrator to SU and also happen to own a Cricut. Is it worth it to buy the Big Shot? What is everyone's experience with it?

Thanks.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-17-2008, 06:08 AM   #2  
Stampin' Fool

I love the big shot. BUT mainly cuz I can put a lot of the little dies thru at once and becuz it uses the BIGZ dies. I love the bigz dies. YOu can cut many layers at once, and chipboard, etc.
So if your machine can cut bigz, then I wouldn't think you needed it.
I also like the big shot cuz the handle is easy to use, even for kids.

Anne
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-17-2008, 06:13 AM   #3  
Polyshrink Goddess

And you can EMBOSS using the Cuttlebug folders or brass templates.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-17-2008, 06:28 AM   #4  
lmg
Embossing Fanatic

I have the cricut, revolution,silhouette, and just recently purchased the big shot @ Micheals for 50% off with my coupon.... and I love it!!!!! I purchase alot of stuff from sizzix.com tthat have some unbeliebalbe buys I have the red and white one would have preferred the new black and pink , but they both work and same and the saving is wonderful..... and thanks to my splitcoast stamper friends for all there input in helping me decide... the big shot is worth the money???? I just don't know if buying it from SU is worth it... Just an opinion
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-17-2008, 06:51 AM   #5  
Mad Swapper

I use mine all the time, more than my Cricut. It's not fragile or finicky like my Cricut, and I can cut just about any kind of material. However, I do more card making then scrapbooking so that may color my opinion.

Is it worth it to get it from SU? It might turn out to be a better deal for you than Js or Ms if you are able to get some hostess benefits from the order. I know you mentioned you are a demo, but some demos are offering BigShot classes and stuff with a purchase, that would be appealing to a customer perhaps. So, if you are comparing just the cost of the SU BigShot to a local store, it may not seem like a better deal, but if you add in hostess benefits, free stamps, personal training, etc -- it might be better. Just depends!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-17-2008, 06:53 AM   #6  
Kookie Creator

I was at my new demo's home on Friday for a new caty open house and she brought it out with one of the great big dies and I admit after seeing it I am putting off my purchase of the CB and going for the new Big Shot. I LOVE the die she was using and it didn't seem like it would be hard to use the big dies. Yes, I've read about how the CB will work with these big dies but it seems like some serious work and I doubt I would do it.

I will say, that if my demo did not have one to see and use I probably would have bought the CB.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-17-2008, 09:49 AM   #7  
Stazon Splitcoast

I think if you're comparing Cricut to Big Shot, I'd say it's like comparing apples and oranges. They may do similar things, but they are not the same at all. I think having both is a great thing, lol!

I got a Cuttlebug the instant they came out (OK, maybe the month they came out!), and the Big Shot came out very shortly after. The CB was great for my needs at the time (I was taking it back and forth to a rehab center) because it was smaller and more portable. Other than that, the Big Shot would have been my choice.

As for buying it from SU, well, as a demo I do like to purchase from myself. Still, as Hoosier Mama pointed out, there are additional benefits to buying it through Stampin Up...hostess benefits, for one, additional discount (your instant income), additional commissions (the purchase could help push you into higher commission categories), etc.

I am massively cash-strapped these days, so I won't be buying it yet. I'm sure when I have the money, though...I'll be buying the thing from myself. Congratulations on signing up, btw!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-17-2008, 10:21 AM   #8  
Polyshrink Goddess

If you are a demo, and have a business, I would have this to show customers. Plus, if you are actively demoing it to customers, you should be able to tax deduct at least a portion of the cost associated with buying it. Combined with host benefits, I am sure that would make Big Shot from SU a better deal for you.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-17-2008, 12:46 PM   #9  
Matboard Maniac

If you're not a demo, I would say the best deal would be to buy a Sizzix Big Kick at one of the big craft stores (AC Moore,etc.) with a 40 or 50% off coupon. It is the exact same machine and will cut all of the dies. If you're a demo and have to use SU products, it's a different story and I understand you would need to purchase it through SU and get all your demo benefits, etc. But for someone who is not a demo, coupons at a retail store is the way to go!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-17-2008, 12:50 PM   #10  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by annebarcView Post
If you're not a demo, I would say the best deal would be to buy a Sizzix Big Kick at one of the big craft stores (AC Moore,etc.) with a 40 or 50% off coupon. It is the exact same machine and will cut all of the dies. If you're a demo and have to use SU products, it's a different story and I understand you would need to purchase it through SU and get all your demo benefits, etc. But for someone who is not a demo, coupons at a retail store is the way to go!
Does anyone know if Hobby Lobby sells the Big Shot? I want to use the 40% coupon this week.....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-17-2008, 01:35 PM   #11  
Glitter Guru

Received 369 Likes on 219 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by annebarcView Post
Ditto.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-18-2008, 05:30 PM   #12  
Inking Addict

Exclamation

I'm new to this site and to stamping, I just saw SU demo of the Big Shot and thought it was theirs alone, am I to understand from these posts that it is available at other stores
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-18-2008, 06:06 PM   #13  
Crimping Master

Whats the difference between the Big Shot and the Big Kick?

I already have a bug, do I need the Big shot/ big kick? ;)

I saw one of the two somewhere in black and pink, I likes
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-18-2008, 06:54 PM   #14  
Glitter Guru

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by scrappychick427View Post
Does anyone know if Hobby Lobby sells the Big Shot? I want to use the 40% coupon this week.....
I've never seen the big kick at HL, but you can use the 40% coupon from the paper at M's and they have the big kick.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-18-2008, 06:56 PM   #15  
Glitter Guru

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barbie 50View Post

The only difference I was told was the "colors".

I got a Big Kick at M's tonight with my HL 40% off, total cost was $64.28 something like that.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-18-2008, 06:58 PM   #16  
Polyshrink Goddess

I emld Sizzix directly and they said the only difference was the colors and both machines have the same functionality.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-18-2008, 07:01 PM   #17  
Crimping Master

I noticed that one is flat and the other has like a divider in the platform.

So then its just a matter of what color to choose?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-18-2008, 07:02 PM   #18  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 105 Likes on 66 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barbie 50View Post

They are the same, just made by different companies. I read something on Ellen Hutson's blog the other day about how she contacted one of the companies and they told her they were are the same. I have the Big Kick. I bought it with a 50% off coupon at ACMoore about a year ago. I like it, but don't use it as much as I should. I forget about it. I do like some of SU's dies and will most likely purchase a few.

If you are a demo and don't have a machine already then you should purchase it from SU. Reason being that the SU machine is their exclusive black with the white logo. And I know they reccomend you demo with their product. If you are not a demo, I would suggest purchasing it from a store where you can use a coupon (if you have one close by) and spend the money you save on the cool exclusive dies from SU. JMO of course.

My Gallery| My My Blog

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-18-2008, 09:42 PM   #19  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Totally agree

I got my BigKick from HSN.com a couple of months ago on clearance. It's red and white and I am really impressed with it....just don't use it as much as I could. At the time I had no idea SU! would be coming out with one of their own. I am not a demo, but I'm really excited about SU!'s exclusive dies.

I just checked hsn.com and they are still available on clearance.

Quote:

Originally Posted by javagirl984View Post
They are the same, just made by different companies. <cut>
If you are a demo and don't have a machine already then you should purchase it from SU. Reason being that the SU machine is their exclusive black with the white logo. And I know they reccomend you demo with their product. If you are not a demo, I would suggest purchasing it from a store where you can use a coupon (if you have one close by) and spend the money you save on the cool exclusive dies from SU. JMO of course.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-19-2008, 03:27 AM   #20  
Inking Addict

The way I understand it is. The Big Shot and the Big Kick are not the same machine.
It is the Big Shot and the new SU machine that are the same except for the color.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-19-2008, 04:10 AM   #21  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

The Big Shot and the Big Kick are not the same machine.
It is the Big Shot and the new SU machine that are the same except for the color
The Big Shot and the Big Kick are essentially the same machine. They are different colors and are designed a bit differently, but they function the exact same way. Their accessories (cutting mats, pads, platforms) are the same. Both machines can cut all the Sizzix dies (past and present) as well as most of the other competitors' dies.

The new SU machine is likely the same Big Shot with a different color.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-19-2008, 04:42 AM   #22  
Inking Addict

Thanks for clearifying that. They don't look the same so I thought they were different. The Big Shot and SU machine look identical.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-19-2008, 04:54 AM   #23  
PMR
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 602 Likes on 422 Posts

The big shot, big kick and SU's are the same machine. I needed a new multipurpose platform, I went to the sizzix ebay site and bought one for the big shot and it works perfectly in my big kick. I got it for Christmas last year and I do love it. If you can wait, I used a 60% off after Thanksgiving sale coupon. Well my sister did and gave it to me for Christmas. I still have the old sizzix too. My dh uses them for Cub Scouts, the kids love the machines!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-19-2008, 05:00 AM   #24  
Insane Embellisher

I have a Wisblade and I have a BigKick. I chose the BigKick over BigShot purely based on price as I couldn't really see the difference (other than looks). I like being able to use cuttlebug embossing folders and nestabilities--I can't use those with an electronic die cutter.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-19-2008, 05:26 AM   #25  
Inking Addict

Can someone who has bought it from Michaels help me out and let me know approximately how much it is running for at the store near you? I'm stationed in Japan and just had my dad look it up on the hsn website since it apparently won't let me access it from outside the US. I want to compare it to what the price would be from Michaels with the 40% off coupon. I really appreciate it.

Also, do you have to buy any extra pieces to use dies other than Sizzix ones with it (such at Cuttlebug)? I really like alot of the Cuttlebug embossing folders and like the prices of the cuttlebug dies/folders so I would like it to work easily together without having to spend alot of money to get to that point.

Last edited by Okidoki; 08-19-2008 at 05:31 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-19-2008, 05:38 AM   #26  
Pearl-ExPert

How much is Stampin Up selling the Big Shot for?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-19-2008, 05:42 AM   #27  
Polyshrink Goddess

I have the Big Shot and my girlfriend has the Cricut. I am SOOOO glad I decided on the BS! It handles easier, more stable than the Cricut and all the Cricut embossing and dies work with the BS. I wouldn't trade it for anything.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-19-2008, 05:43 AM   #28  
Inking Addict

Default Big Shot at QVC

I bought mine at QVC.
Great price with some bonus add ons.
Believe I am receiving a couple dies, folders, alphabet strip die, extender for the decorative strips and loads of paper, both adhesive and non adhesive.
Compared it to the offer from SU and I received a lot of extras.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-19-2008, 08:37 AM   #29  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Waldsb651View Post
I have the Big Shot and my girlfriend has the Cricut. I am SOOOO glad I decided on the BS! It handles easier, more stable than the Cricut and all the Cricut embossing and dies work with the BS. I wouldn't trade it for anything.
Do you mean cuttlebug? Cricut uses cartridges and is more like a computer. You can't use the dies and embossing folders with a Cricut. Unless I am missing something. :confused:

My Gallery| My My Blog

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-19-2008, 09:01 AM   #30  
YLM
Stazon Splitcoast

I love my big shot! Stampin UP is to expensive! Use a coupon and get one at craft store. They are pink & black or turquoise now days
QFTD127
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-19-2008, 09:41 AM   #31  
Rubber Obsessor

Where would you find out about what SU is selling --the machine and the dies? Is there a website?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-19-2008, 09:45 AM   #32  
Master of All Things Big Shot

Send a message via Skype™ to militarystampingmom

Quote:

Originally Posted by icmadView Post
Where would you find out about what SU is selling --the machine and the dies? Is there a website?
It will be available for customers on Sept 2nd
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-19-2008, 07:33 PM   #33  
Inking Addict

Thumbs up

Quote:

Originally Posted by galeView Post
The Big Shot is not a SU exclusive. It's been made by Sizzix for a while now. The SU one looks different (color wise plus it has SU's logo on it) but is otherwise the same. I'm a hobby demo and I have the black and pink non-su one.
Thanks for your reply gale, you have saved me some money, I will use my 40% off coupon to purchase the Sizzix model
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-19-2008, 07:37 PM   #34  
Inking Addict

Quote:

Originally Posted by altds34View Post
How much is Stampin Up selling the Big Shot for?
The Big Shot is selling for 99.99, they have packages that come with extras they are about 199 and 235 (not sure if these are the exact prices)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-20-2008, 05:56 AM   #35  
Matboard Maniac

I have a BIG KICK> I got it at AC Moore for under $50.00 with a coupon. I dont' really understand why SU thinks that theirs is such a great deal.

Cyndi
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-20-2008, 06:38 AM   #36  
Master of All Things Big Shot

Send a message via Skype™ to militarystampingmom

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cyndi EvansView Post
I have a BIG KICK> I got it at AC Moore for under $50.00 with a coupon. I dont' really understand why SU thinks that theirs is such a great deal.

Cyndi
To be honest I don't think that SU is trying to market the machine to customers as much as their own demonstrators so that they can use it in their workshops. Obviously the Big Shot is not exclusive to SU but there are dies that will be. These machines have been on the market for a while and I am personally glad to see that SU has finally jumped on the bandwagon.

Hugs and Blessings
Alicia
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-20-2008, 06:42 AM   #37  
Die Cut Diva

Can the Big Shot SU dies work in the Cuttlebug?

Bonnie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-20-2008, 06:43 AM   #38  
Cardstock Collector

I meant the Cricut. I didn't realize I could also emboss with the BS. thanks for the advice!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-20-2008, 06:53 AM   #39  
Cardstock Collector

Thanks everyone! This site rocks! I think I am going to go ahead and purchase the Big Shot. I think I will use it so much more than my Cricut.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-20-2008, 10:20 AM   #40  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cyndi EvansView Post

Cyndi
Also keep in mind that not everyone has the luxury of a Michael's, ACMoore, etc. close by. I know some people can only order either online or through a demo. I think it is great that SU can offer this product to those type of customers.

If I were a hobby demo (which I used to be), I would not purchase the actual machine from SU. I would and did use a coupon to buy one locally. But if I were a demo who actually wanted to show this to customers, I would make a business investment by purchasing it to demo to customers. Even if they don't purchase the machine, they can only get the exclusive dies from SU. So it's still worth the investment to demo. IMO.

My Gallery| My My Blog

Reply With Quote Likes