Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 10-01-2012, 12:44 PM   #1  
Glitter Queen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Stupid stamp questions

Hi,
I just bought my first stamping supplies, and I am wondering what all the jargon is all about. so here are a couple of questions.

1. What is the point of using acryllic block, as it is transparant?
2. Why does the product info with some unmounted stamps say you (only) need an acryllic block? Do these stamps not work with a regular ink pad?
3. Now I know what the difference is between mounted and unmounted, in that mounted stamps have a wooden frame around them. But why is some ink not suitable for mounted stamps? And what are the pros and cons ofounted vs. unmounted stamps?

I apologize if my questions are answered somehwere in newbie tutorial, but I couldn't find it among the huge amount of fourm topics.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-01-2012, 12:56 PM   #2  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 501 Likes on 222 Posts

Hope I can help you straighten things out.

Unmounted rubber stamps come with rubber and foam only. They are intended to be used on acrylic blocks. The transparency of the block helps you to be able to see where you are stamping. But the biggest advantage is that you can have a small collection of acrylic blocks instead of having one block for each rubber-and-foam stamp. Plus any clear polymer stamps that you might buy require an acrylic block.

You need to have your unmounted rubber or your clear polymer stamp on some kind of block to stamp, so if you have any of these, you will need clear acrylic blocks.

If your rubber is already mounted on wood, then you are ready to stamp with those stamps.

As for inks, you can use any type of ink on your wood-mounted or on your unmounted rubber or clear polymer stamps. One caveat in that statement is that some inks work better on unmounted clear polymer stamps than others. For example, chalk type inks, pigment inks, and the new SU dye ink pads work better on polymer than other dye inks.

Also, some inks will stain unmounted clear polymer stamps worse than others.

Does that help? Feel free to ask more questions if you have them. We'll be glad to answer!
I'll stand with arms high and heart abandoned,
in awe of the One who gave it all.
I'll stand, my soul, Lord, to You surrendered,
all I am is Yours.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-01-2012, 01:00 PM   #3  
Glitter Guru

1. An acrylic block is used for 'unmounted' stamps, in place of the wood block.
2. If it says you 'only need an acrylic block', it's because the stamp is mounted on cling foam already. These stamps will work with any ink.
3. Mounted stamps don't have a wooden 'frame', the rubber is mounted onto a wood block.
The pros for unmounted is that they take up less room and if you use a clear acrylic block it's easier to see where you are stamping the image.

Hope that helps you some.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-01-2012, 01:11 PM   #4  
Mad Swapper

Hi & welcome to the wonderful world of stamping!! I will try and answer your questions as best as I can! Please anyone feel free to chime in!! Ok here goes!!

As far as what you are reading I'm assuming is on a package that has clear stamps in it, right? What it is telling you is that you need an acrylic block in order to use the clear/acrylic stamps. As far as the acrylic blocks go many stampers (myself included) like to use them because you can see exactly where you are stamping, helping with placement so to speak.

If I understand your question correct, it doesn't matter what ink you use with any block!!! As far as ink goes, a dye based ink pad dries quickly, and a pigment based ink pad takes quite awhile to dry. I very seldom use pigment ink.

Hope I was able to help! Good luck & have fun with your new hobby! ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-01-2012, 01:21 PM   #5  
Glitter Queen

Thanks for answering these questions. Since I bought unmounted stamps, I'll need to buy an acryllic block. I thought an acryllic block was like an ink pad but with different substances in it. Now I have one more question,a nd maybe this will make sense when I get the stamps and acryllic block, but how do I attach the acryllic to the stamps? Or am I missing the point entirely? And why is it that you can see through the aryllic block to where you'r estamping? I mean, I can't see so it may be irrelevant fo rme, but gets the acryllic wrapped around the stamp or something, and then you can see through it where the stamp goes, or what?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-01-2012, 02:22 PM   #6  
Glitter Guru

Picture putting a stamp on a piece of glass. You will be able to see the outline of the stamp through the acrylic block, so you'll know exactly where to place it. If the stamps you have already have cling foam, you're good to go with a block. If they are bare rubber (no cushion), then you'll need to purchase some type of two way adhesive to be able to have them cling to the block. (sometimes, I just use a little 2 sided Scotch tape).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-01-2012, 04:30 PM   #7  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChangelingGirlView Post
Thanks for answering these questions. Since I bought unmounted stamps, I'll need to buy an acryllic block. I thought an acryllic block was like an ink pad but with different substances in it. Now I have one more question,a nd maybe this will make sense when I get the stamps and acryllic block, but how do I attach the acryllic to the stamps? Or am I missing the point entirely? And why is it that you can see through the aryllic block to where you'r estamping? I mean, I can't see so it may be irrelevant fo rme, but gets the acryllic wrapped around the stamp or something, and then you can see through it where the stamp goes, or what?
Are the stamps that you have bare rubber?, meaning no foam on them? If they are then you need a double sided tape to put on the block then your bare rubber stamp on top of it. If you have clear/cling stamps then you should be able to put those right on the block & start stamping. I have un mounted all my stamps (to the bare rubber) from the wooden blocks and I use a product called tack -n- peel. The tack -n- peel is then put on my acrylic block (it stays on the block, I don't remove it) and I use it for all my stamps that are un mounted to the bare rubber. For the other stamps clear/cling I just use the other side of the block. I hope that you can understand what I said and that I didn't confuse you! When you first start out it can become very overwhelming with all the products and such. This site in my opinion is the BEST. Everyone on here is always so helpful & kind. If you have more questions, feel free to ask! We are here to help you! You tube is also a great way to learn different techniques as well. Good luck!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-01-2012, 05:16 PM   #8  
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

For stamping purposes acrylic blocks are sold as 'clear acrylic blocks'. The fact that the block is clear doesn't make the stamp work better, but it helps to have it see thru. What makes the acrylic block useful for unmounted stamps is that the stamps will stick to it and hold because of something called 'static cling'. Same principle is used for vinyl 'stickers' which you can put on your car, fridge, or windows. So the acrylic block sold for stamping purposes is used instead of a wooden block that the mounted stamps already have attached. You can in fact stick your unmounted stamp (not bare rubber though) to anything that will hold it in place while you stamp. I've used glass, plastic lids, and even the lids on some of my inks pads if I've been in a pinch without my block.

From what I'm reading and understanding, you're not really sure how the acrylic block fits into using your stamps. I found this You Tube video that might help explain what it looks like and how you would use it for your stamps. Watch from 6.05 to 7.02 as she explains somethings the rest of us take for granted. The video itself is focused more on another product and would not be of much interest to you at this time.

The acrylic block is an essential tool to have for stamping. It's actually useful for several things in the craft room, but I won't bore you with that now.

There is never a stupid question, and sometimes these sorts of questions makes us think about about how our craft must look and sound to a novice. Let us know how you get on.
Reply With Quote Likes