Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 12-31-2004, 05:24 AM   #1  
Insane Embellisher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Square punch--Stampin up or Creative Memories?

Has anyone had experience with the large Creative Memories Square Maker? I'm debating whether or not to buy that one, or the two square punches from SU that are similar in size.

The CM tools I have are great and their square maker would be cheaper than two SU punches. But I'd like some input on the pros or cons of either product before I decide.

Thanks,
Rosie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-31-2004, 05:28 AM   #2  
Kookie Creator

I have the CM square maker and I just received the mini square maker for Christmas. I love them both. They are easy to use and made so that you can easily center the squares on each other to make frames. The only con that I can see is that you can't use them for window cards, as they cut really close to the edge of the paper. I think that the SU! ones have a much longer reach. I think that the CM ones are more bang for your buck! HTH

Will work for stamps! My Gallery!

Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-31-2004, 05:31 AM   #3  
Matboard Maniac

Default Punch?

I have both the CM and SU ones. I think the SU ones are easier to use. For the CM punches, you have to really use your two hands to punch a hole.

As previously said the SU punches also have a greater reach b/c of how they are build. You can punch a windown in the middle of the card, where as a CM punch.. you wouldn't be able to do it.

I would get SU...but then I am a litte bias.

B-

Check my blog!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-31-2004, 05:33 AM   #4  
Rubber Obsessor

Default square punch

I have both of the punches in question. I use both of them alot. I like the CM punch for layering and I love the SU punch for punching photos, and punching squares on cards (making windows), because the reach is longer. Also the SU punch is easier to operate (squeeze instead of pushing).

Cris
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-31-2004, 05:39 AM   #5  
Matboard Maniac

I have both and the SU punches are sooooo much easier to use. The CM ones are nice too. Sometimes I use both to get better layering. The thumb punches are definately easier though and they have a longer reach. They are worth the extra $ in my opinion.
Patti

Ibbie - Member #3992
www.splitcoaststampers.com/go/ibbie
stampingwithpatti.stampinup.net
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-31-2004, 05:40 AM   #6  
Mad Swapper

I also have both and I prefer the SU punch. The CM is harder to punch & I agree about the longer reach of the SU. You could not make a window card w/the CM punch. All you can do is punch squares of paper. The SU is much better for aligning photos or punching out a stamped image in a square. I would suggest the SU punches.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-31-2004, 05:55 AM   #7  
Polyshrink Goddess

I "ditto" what everyone above has stated! I have both and both are good for their own sperate uses....however, I do think that the SU! ones are much easier to use overall, AND they have a greater depth so that you can acutally use them on a card for an opening! I think the CM ones were developed with scrapbooking more in mind....as in various shape punches to utilize on your page....not to make "openings"...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-31-2004, 05:59 AM   #8  
Polyshrink Goddess

I have both of the CM ones - and I got the square one in the last SU catalog. I use all of them to make 3 layers as they were different sizes.

So, I would get all of them. But, if you can only afford one set, I would get the SU one. It is more versatile.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-31-2004, 06:06 AM   #9  
Embossing Fanatic

I have the CM punches and am looking forward to buying the SU ones with my Christmas moeny :o ! I really struggle to line up the CM punches and I think one should consider paper waste when looking at more bang for the buck. I really waste a lot of paper or get uneven punches with the CM punch.

Good luck with whatever you do.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-31-2004, 06:30 AM   #10  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default A thought about the lever punches

I have lots of the lever punches in EK Success and other brands. It is important to remember that they are PAPER punches. At least with "button" style punches, you can force it through heavier card stock, but the lever punches can not.

I do not have any SU punches, but I do love my CM Shapemakers. I have the circles and the squares and just love them. I am not a CM customer. I bought them only based on recommendation and have been more than happy.

My new favorite site...
My Create, Ink -- COLOR LAB
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-31-2004, 06:48 AM   #11  
Creative Director - My Favorite Things
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Default Re: square punch

Quote:

Originally Posted by cmarsh
I have both of the punches in question. I use both of them alot. I like the CM punch for layering and I love the SU punch for punching photos, and punching squares on cards (making windows), because the reach is longer. Also the SU punch is easier to operate (squeeze instead of pushing).

Cris
Ditto what Cris said. That's exactly how I feel!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-31-2004, 07:24 AM   #12  
Kookie Creator

I have all the CM punches, 2 - square, 2 circle, and 2 hexagon. I have been a loyal CM customer since 98. I just became a SU demo last May. I have many CM products, all very good quality. I use the punches often, but not during a demo. Most of my customers are CM customers as well and have all these products already at home.

I agree with the previous posts that the punches do make the squares closer to the edge and won't work well for window cards, and I too just bought the SU square punch and waiting for it to arrive.

Just my 2 cents here, but I spent a lot of money on all the CM tools, the punches, their cutting system etc. These products are all very good quality and work well. I can't justify throwing all these out, and buying the colluzel etc now just because it's in the SU catalog. All the CM products didn't become 'bad' or 'poor quality' the day I signed my SU contract.

Please don't flame me, I don't promote any CM at my demos. I do however, recognize that many of my customers already have these tools at home, and they appreciate that I can show them ways to incorporate the tools they already have instead of talking them into buying other similar tools. They all say they end up buying more stamps and paper because they don't have to spend more money on another set of tools.

Have a Happy New Year to all.
Theresa
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-31-2004, 07:34 AM   #13  
Insane Embellisher

Thanks for all your comments. Now I'm more confused than ever! LOL

It sounds like they're both super tools. I've been more than happy with the CM tools I have for scrapbooking, but SU's longer reach would be a real advantage for cards. So I'm leaning toward that one right now.

More opinions would certainly be welcomed--I haven't ordered yet!!

Happy New Year!
Rosie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-31-2004, 07:47 AM   #14  
Mad Swapper

Default Square Punch-SU or Creative Memories

Hi Rosie, I have both the CM and SU square punches. I do like the SU punches better since I have weakness in my right hand. The CM punches are nice that they can punch both squares at the same time, but I rarely use it for my cards. I have used my CM punch for my personal scrap pages for the simple use of punching both squares at the same time but it not the ones that I don't demo with and still prefer my SU punches for their ease.
I have purchased more SU punches than any other because I like how easy they are to use. HTH
LeAne SCS#2819 & Grandma to Lindsey!
[email protected]
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-31-2004, 08:50 AM   #15  
Pearl-ExPert

Here are my 2¢ to contribute:

I really, really, really love the style of punch that SU! has. It's easier to use and more sturdy for the long haul. Did I mention that I love SU! punch style? I don't like the style of punch that CM offers.

CM double punch is a more economical purchase, moneywise...it's cheaper than buying both SU! punches. However, I think the SU! punches will probably outloast the CM punches.

I have the CM punches, too. I love that both punches are in one unit so I don't have to search for both when I matte stuff. (However you spell mat/matte/etc.!) I find that I use the CM double punch more than I use the SU! punches.
I like the CM sizes much better. I think the SU! punches are too close in size to make a really nice matte effect.

So basically, if you want to do a lot of matting with the punches........I'd go with the CM double punch. Otherwise, I'd go with the SU! punches. They are much nicer, better made, sturdier, etc., IMHO!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-31-2004, 09:51 AM   #16  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Both are quality products, well crafted.

Altho, yes, I am a demo'r, I honestly would prefer the SU! punches for the following:

1. Thumb Lever (I have very bad/painful tendonitis in my right arm/hand so the lever style helps alleviate strain and I don't have to stand and press down with 2 hands like I would with the CM).
2. Longer reach for window effects in cards.

So, for me, considering the above, the SU! punches, despite being a more expensive combination, met my needs best.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-01-2006, 08:54 PM   #17  
Rubber Obsessor

I had tried all the rest and loved the SU ones better and for my hand cramps are better and less with the SU.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-02-2006, 06:55 AM   #18  
Crimping Master

I use to be a CM consultant, so I have all their tools. I really like using my CM square makers, but they do punch very close to the edge. If you want to do window cards, these won't work. I do use them for punching out shapes to use on a card or page. But I did buy the SU style punches for making window cards and stuff I can't do with the CM ones. I bought mine at Joann's and used a coupon, making them cheaper than the CM ones. The CM ounches do seem to go through thicker cardstock easier than the SU ones, though. So it really depends on what you want to use them for.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-02-2006, 07:00 AM   #19  
Crimping Master

Location: I am a Utah desert rat! I fry in the summer, but, oh, the winters are spectacular!

I was a CM consultant some time ago. I have their square, circle, and heart punches. SU's are much easier to use, and are wider in the neck, so you can do more with them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-02-2006, 08:11 AM   #20  
Insane Embellisher

If anyone wants the CM double square punch, I have one available to trade - barely used with the original box. I didn't care for it either and I have bought one of the SU square punches and I'm working on getting the other. PM me if interested.

Visit my Demo Website
I have a bouncing baby blog

There are three types of people in the world - those who can count and those who can't.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-02-2006, 05:43 PM   #21  
Matboard Maniac

I have both sets of punches (CM & SU). I love them both but for different projects. Decide what you really want to use them for before you make your purchase. As you can see (above) there are quite a few ideas to use your punches with.
I love CM tools and I may be biased!
The paper shapers large square punch at Joann's is the same size as the SU 1 3/8th. Use a coupon and you can try it out for a lot less money.
Just a thought.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-02-2006, 06:09 PM   #22  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess & DSS Moderator

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

Get SU punches...they are more versitile then CM. You just can't do an opening with CM punches.

Get them SU punches. If you don't like them, I'll trade you my CM punches for your SU punches!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-02-2006, 06:16 PM   #23  
Mad Swapper

I use my SU ones way more than I use my CM, but I like having them both for different sizes and different functions. I pretty much ditto anything said above. It all depends on what you want to use the punches for.

Window cards, less paper waste, ease of use... SU

Easier layering, more economical... CM
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-03-2006, 08:13 AM   #24  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 317 Likes on 203 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by jcrowl50
I think one should consider paper waste when looking at more bang for the buck. I really waste a lot of paper {sic} with the CM punch.

Ditto - both work fine, but I waste more paper with CM because the punches are side-by-side.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-03-2006, 09:37 AM   #25  
Mad Swapper

I have both also and like SU better. The CM are very hard to punch compared to SU. I have used wax paper and they are still hard to punch. Very hard to use upside down to punch out an exact stamped area.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-03-2006, 09:55 AM   #26  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

I own both of them and I like the SU one MUCH better.
SCS Sketch Challenge Hostess
Reply With Quote Likes