Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 08-21-2013, 03:00 PM   #1  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 1,716 Likes on 649 Posts
Default Spellbinders tan embossing mats

Hi everyone,

I was wondering if I can use something that I already have in place of the two tan embossing mats from Spellbinders that they recommend when using the big shot? Hate to spring for even more product if there is a substitute I can use.......

Thanks
Shirl
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-22-2013, 08:32 AM   #2  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I read here in the forums that some people have used this substitute: Check a hardware/home supply store for plumbers gaskets. They are usually 2 to a package, and will work instead of the tan mats. You might have to cut them to the right size to run through your die cutting machine.

PS After I tried and failed to find the plumbers gaskets at a couple of stores, I bit the bullet and got the tan mats. It's just a one-time purchase, and they will last forever. I decided buying the tan mats was cheaper than my time and gas to go to other stores looking for the gaskets.

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-22-2013, 09:29 AM   #3  
Proud Fan Club Member

Thanks for your reply. Yeah, you are probably right re the time and gas looking for a substitute. I definetly agree on that.

thanks
Shirl
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-23-2013, 05:04 AM   #4  
Insane Embellisher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bit the bullet and got the impression plate and the black mat from sizzix for embossing with my bigshot. Works like a charm...
The tan embossing mats made a mess on my clear plates.
I have found that these one time purchases to get what is recommended for the different kinds of machines is the best way to go. All machines are different and have their own special plates, mats, etc. to go with them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-23-2013, 08:14 AM   #5  
Proud Fan Club Member

Quote:

Originally Posted by wanda50View Post
I bit the bullet and got the impression plate and the black mat from sizzix for embossing with my bigshot. Works like a charm...
I have found that these one time purchases to get what is recommended for the different kinds of machines is the best way to go. All machines are different and have their own special plates, mats, etc. to go with them.
I have the Texturz Silicon Rubber mat, the Texturz Impressions Pad and the Premium Crease Pad (all Sizzix).....Will any of these sub for the tan embossing mats, do you know?

Thanks
Shirl
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-23-2013, 08:16 AM   #6  
Proud Fan Club Member

Quote:

Originally Posted by wanda50View Post
Forgot to ask how the tan ones made a mess?. My clear plates are still flat but are marked up now from using dies......

Thanks
Shirl
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-24-2013, 07:05 AM   #7  
Insane Embellisher

Yes...you should use the black
rubber mat & impression plate. By mess I mean a film was left from the tan mats.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-24-2013, 09:28 AM   #8  
Matboard Maniac

You should know that the tan mats are made of latex, which is toxic to some people- I have a contact allergy to latex, so I use a silicon baking sheet cut to fit myCuttlebug plates.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-25-2013, 02:15 PM   #9  
Matboard Maniac

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I bought my plumbers gasket at Lowe's. However, I would think Home Depot would have them also. It's a red rubber type mat. I bought it a couple of years ago. They were just single, not in a package. I had to trim just a bit from one side & it works perfectly. It seems at most it was $3.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-28-2013, 12:59 PM   #10  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 33 Likes on 6 Posts

I use a Sil-pat cookie sheet (red) that I got at Canadian Tire for $2.00! It's large so you can get about 4 out of it so you can share with three of your friends! They work just the same as tan mats for a whole lot cheaper!! Good luck.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-28-2013, 01:09 PM   #11  
Proud Fan Club Member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mrs NoofyView Post
I use a Sil-pat cookie sheet (red) that I got at Canadian Tire for $2.00! It's large so you can get about 4 out of it so you can share with three of your friends! They work just the same as tan mats for a whole lot cheaper!! Good luck.
This is interesting. The two tan embossing mats give quite a thickness. I wouldn't think one sil pat would do the trick? The sil pat ones I have that I use for baking cookies are thin. Comments?

Thanks
Shirl
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-29-2013, 05:47 AM   #12  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 33 Likes on 6 Posts

Put 2 red ones together maybe. The tan mat I have is exactly the same size as my red one. Is there a reason you use the two tan mats together?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-29-2013, 08:23 AM   #13  
Proud Fan Club Member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mrs NoofyView Post
Put 2 red ones together maybe. The tan mat I have is exactly the same size as my red one. Is there a reason you use the two tan mats together?
The two together is what they suggest when using the big shot. Maybe it is not really needed but that is what they say. The only thing I know is that they come two to a pack when buying them, but I haven't bought them yet.

Thanks
Shirl
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-30-2013, 10:27 AM   #14  
Inking Addict

Would the foam mats work,or are they not durable enough?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-30-2013, 12:10 PM   #15  
Compulsive Stamper

Quote:

Originally Posted by shirlb19View Post
I have the Texturz Silicon Rubber mat, the Texturz Impressions Pad and the Premium Crease Pad (all Sizzix).....Will any of these sub for the tan embossing mats, do you know?

Thanks
Shirl
DO these work? I have heard they do not contain latex (but will check before purchasing). Because I have a severe allergy to natural rubber/latex, I have been avoiding the regular embossing pads. (Anyone with any level of latex allergy should avoid products with latex -or even 'dry natural rubber'- as much as possible, in order for the allergy to not get worse. The FDA has finally recognized this but many docs have not.) Latex allergy makes stamping a challenge! Thank goodness for photopolymer stamps and (some) companies that recognize that latex should not be in inks or glues.

At one time Spellbinders made a latex-free pad that contained EPDM, but I am allergic to that too. :(

I have tried the foam wrapping material but that just gets cut by the die, though sometimes does impress a bit.

I cut up a silicone 8x8 square baking pan to use the bottom, but that was too thick to use- strange, because it was about the same thickness of the two rubber pads, but maybe it was too dense.

I am going to look for the silicone baking sheets and check to see if they are 100% silicone.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-31-2013, 09:21 PM   #16  
Proud Fan Club Member

Sorry to hear about your allergy. That must be tough to deal with. I just checked the pads mentioned that I have. Cannot see latex mentioned anywhere. I don't know if they work in place of the tan embossing mats. Have not experimented yet. Didn't want to get frustrated if they didn't. I am just starting to buy some spellbinders and have not really played around with them too much. If I wasn't going to emboss them, then it does not really matter to use the tan embossing mats they suggest. But I wanted to throw out the question to the more experienced here.

Shirl
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-02-2013, 08:24 AM   #17  
Proud Fan Club Member

Quote:

Originally Posted by holtzfanView Post
In one of his YouTube videos, Tim Holtz said not to use other brands of silicone pads in Sizzix machines because they won't work. Aside from that, the Sizzix warranty would probably be voided if other brands damaged your machine.
Okay, now I'm really confused. The tan mats are by Spellbinders and you are saying we should not use them in the big shot?

Thanks
Shirl
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-19-2013, 06:26 PM   #18  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

I have the Texturz Silicon Rubber mat, the Texturz Impressions Pad and the Premium Crease Pad (all Sizzix)
I use these, as I have a pretty serious allergy to natural rubber latex. I bided my time for one of those Joann's sales where they were all 40-60% off with $0.27 shipping or whatever that is. (I was living in the US.) They work great with the Spellbinders. I got 2 of the silicone mats because they were so cheap and I was not sure about their thickness compared to the Spellbinders rubber mats. That was a good idea, as a few of the Spellbinders dies I have emboss better with 2 mats.

Quote:

Okay, now I'm really confused. The tan mats are by Spellbinders and you are saying we should not use them in the big shot?
Technically, Sizzix says only use their mats with all their machines. It's probably not going to hurt a Big Shot because if you try to run a sandwich through that is too thick, it simply won't go through. Many people with Big Shots report no problems when using the tan mats made by Spellbinders. If you have a Vagabond, however, it is wise to follow their recommendations to the letter. The Vagabond is motorized and can break if a sandwich is even just a wee bit too thick. The Vagabond is Tim's signature machine. All his advice regarding die cutting & embossing tends to be geared towards that machine. If I had a Vagabond, I would not deviate from the recommended sandwiches and sandwich materials at all ever.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-20-2013, 10:25 PM   #19  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

I have the Sizzix embossing mat & the Spellbinder's mats. I have a Big Shot. I have used both Spellbinder's & Sizzix just fine in that machine.

I have always been one of the girls over here to recommend plumber's gasket. I bought a home last Spring. I have been spending way too many hours at the home improvement stores. I noticed plumber's gasket is the same price now as the Spellbinder's mat. My DH said he's just going to use a coupon at Michael's and get the Spellbinder's mats from now on since it will be cheaper. We were really surprised to see how much it has gone up in price.

This price hike on plumber's gasket could be my area only. I just wanted to drop a quick post for anybody who might pick up plumber's gasket as a cost effective replacement to the mats. I also noticed that the major stores are not carrying the different thicknesses or different sizes now. It's just one size.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-26-2013, 10:37 PM   #20  
Stazon Splitcoast

I bought a large gray piece of plumvers gasket at Lowes. It was big enough for 6 of the mats for which ever machine I wanted to use them in. I sold 4 of the 5 extra mats to friends for $1.25 each and it about paid for the two I kept. I use my gray mat and one Spellbinder mat together for embossing. I have made many thousands of cards and the tan mats do get worn out and eventually need to be replaced.
Blessings
Reply With Quote Likes