Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Unread 10-11-2015, 07:14 AM   #721
Cardstock Collector

Anyone have a review for the new Platinum machine? Does it use the Sizzix steel rule dies? Does it cut intricate dies without a special metal shim?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Unread 10-11-2015, 01:20 PM   #722
Crimping Master

Anyone have a good site that gives good prices on Spellbinder dies? I have been looking all over the place. It feels like the dies went up in price by a couple of dollars recently. Or is this my imagination?

Should we be shopping for Spellbinders after Christmas? Do the dies drop in price after the holidays?
Unread 10-11-2015, 02:41 PM   #723
Glitter Guru

Have you tried Amazon? I just ordered a few, some reduced to €14 and free postage.
Unread 10-11-2015, 04:09 PM   #724
Crimping Master

I did check it on Amazon, and they were actually a couple $$ more than some other sites I checked. I had two that I was looking for. The Majestics and the Decrative dies are rather pricey right now. I will have to keep looking I guess.
Unread 10-11-2015, 07:00 PM   #725
Glitter Guru

Oh, well prices here always seem cheap to me, living in Spain where here are no craft shops, English prices are the same as here but in pounds making the items much more expensive so I stock up on craft items while I'm over with the family.
Unread 10-11-2015, 09:20 PM   #726
Crimping Master

So true. 14 eruos is high. I noticed that anything elaborate, especially the 5X7 sizes which are popular for Christmas cards, seemed more expensive. I see where they want to charge $20 for these dies, yet a month ago I saw them for $12.

I think I will wait till after Christmas and see how the prices are then.

Last edited by Janet1000; 10-11-2015 at 09:23 PM..
Unread 10-12-2015, 05:04 AM   #727
Matboard Maniac

You might want to check out Scarp Mart. They have alot of Spellbinders and good shipping! If you you sign up for their email you might catch them at 40%
Unread 10-12-2015, 05:40 PM   #728
Crimping Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherry107 View Post
You might want to check out Scarp Mart. They have alot of Spellbinders and good shipping! If you you sign up for their email you might catch them at 40%
Thank you for letting me know this. I will keep my eyes on them to see if they come up with a 40% off.
Unread 10-14-2015, 02:41 PM   #729
Crimping Master

Since you all are undoubtedly die hard die cutters, I think this would be a good place to ask this question.

Ever used Paper Artists Cutting Dies? They all seem to be painted purple. The price of the dies look good for what you get, and the ones I looked at have a lot of "Spellbinder" ornate use of swirls and intricate designs to them.

What is your opinion of these dies? Any good? I've never heard of them before.

TIA for any info you have with them.
Unread 10-14-2015, 05:26 PM   #730
Polyshrink Goddess

I think I have a set of butterflies of theirs, and LOVE them...but I don't have tons of dies, as I just started this year, so probably am not the best person to "recommend" something. ) Cause, I don't know how good something is compared to something else, when I don't have tons to begin with. LOL
Unread 10-14-2015, 07:48 PM   #731
Crimping Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by dapperdoxie View Post
I think I have a set of butterflies of theirs, and LOVE them...but I don't have tons of dies, as I just started this year, so probably am not the best person to "recommend" something. ) Cause, I don't know how good something is compared to something else, when I don't have tons to begin with. LOL
Thank you for telling me about your butterfly die. I appreciate the info. I saw a die set of butterflies and they were very nice. I will put those in my shopping cart.
dapperdoxie likes this post.
Unread 11-11-2015, 11:34 AM   #732
Compulsive Stamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmakiya View Post
Anyone have a review for the new Platinum machine? Does it use the Sizzix steel rule dies? Does it cut intricate dies without a special metal shim?
Hi I have the new Platinum. I like it a lot....yes you can use the sizzix steel rule dies with it , I was doing just that this morning and it cut beautifully.

Intricate dies cut with ease with no special metal shim.... Dies that I have had a problem with in my big shot I have not had a problem with in the Platinum.

Visit My Blog
Unread 12-22-2015, 01:43 PM   #733
Embossing Fanatic

Another positive review for the Platinum machine. I just received mine but haven't had much time to play with it (waiting for the holidays to calm down). But I did quickly run through a couple of intricate dies that have always caused problems. One of them was from Tim Holtz Holiday Greenery which I could never cut completely even with multiple masking tape shims. After one pass through the Platinum without any shimming, and I had a perfect die cut. I am also impressed with its weight and construction but still be easy to close up and move.
Unread 12-22-2015, 02:04 PM   #734
Crimping Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by SherylH View Post
Another positive review for the Platinum machine. I just received mine but haven't had much time to play with it (waiting for the holidays to calm down). But I did quickly run through a couple of intricate dies that have always caused problems. One of them was from Tim Holtz Holiday Greenery which I could never cut completely even with multiple masking tape shims. After one pass through the Platinum without any shimming, and I had a perfect die cut. I am also impressed with its weight and construction but still be easy to close up and move.
Sheryl,
How is it doing that? It looks like just another Big Shot type machine to me. It is tighter than a Big Shot?

Just really curious how it is getting such great cuts without shims.
Unread 12-22-2015, 07:48 PM   #735
Embossing Fanatic

No idea Janet how it does it. I have never used a Big Shot or Cuttlebug. I have only used the original purple Wizard, so perhaps someone using a Big Shot would have no trouble with these intricate dies. I just know that based on my limited use of it, I am very pleased with how it performs.
Unread 12-22-2015, 07:57 PM   #736
Polyshrink Goddess

Hmmmm...would love to hear from someone who is used to a big shot, as to if it's better or not!!
Anne Ryan and Janet1000 like this post.
Unread 12-23-2015, 01:06 AM   #737
Compulsive Stamper

Hi, I have a Big Shot and have just recently purchased the new platinum . I'm loving the Platinum , dies I had a problem cutting in the big shot cut much easier in the platinum . I am very impressed so far.

Both machines work the in same way but the platinum has a greater pressure between the rollers.

Visit My Blog
dapperdoxie likes this post.
Unread 12-23-2015, 08:19 AM   #738
Crimping Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan61 View Post
Hi, I have a Big Shot and have just recently purchased the new platinum . I'm loving the Platinum , dies I had a problem cutting in the big shot cut much easier in the platinum . I am very impressed so far.

Both machines work the in same way but the platinum has a greater pressure between the rollers.
Thanks for responding Susan.

When I put the sandwich into my Big Shot (which is pretty tight), there comes a point that I can't hand crank the whole thing through if I add too many shims or forget to take TAB 2 off, etc. The Platinum is a hand cranked machine also, so it's a matter of getting a large sandwich under those rollers that allows the machine to cut. Does it allow you to get more of a sandwich through the rollers than the Big Shot? Or does it lift the bottom plate a bit after you start cranking the handle?

I understand it has more torque and roller pressure than the Big Shot. I'm just curious how it gets past the issue I have with the Big Shot - it will take only so much through the slot before the crank becomes extremely difficult to turn.

Also, is there a good place to buy this machine? I see it sells for $199. Is there any where to get this for under $100?

Thanks for any info you can provide on this.
sprtchick likes this post.
Unread 12-23-2015, 09:25 AM   #739
Compulsive Stamper

Hi Janet

For a start I'm in the Uk so I have no idea where you would be able to get one from for under $100 I wouldn't think you could as this would be below wholesale price. So a retailer would not be making any profit on what you want to pay.

The next thing is you shouldn't be forcing things through your big shot or any machine , sounds like you have too many shims.

So far I haven't had to add my shims to cut with the platinum all I have to do is use the suggested sandwich.

Hope this helps

Regards Susan.

Visit My Blog
Anne Ryan likes this post.
Unread 12-23-2015, 10:24 AM   #740
Embossing Fanatic

Hi Janet,

I am in Canada and ordered mine through the Canadian site for Amazon at $170 Cdn (which right now is about the equivalent of $125 USD) and that included free shipping. I see that the US Amazon site is selling it for $160 USD, so I think I got a good deal for here. Also check out Scrapbook.com as they have them listed for $148.95 USD. I don't know what shipping would be nor have I purchased from them so cannot comment on their service.
Anne Ryan likes this post.
Unread 12-23-2015, 11:28 AM   #741
Crimping Master

It is expensive. I will set some price alerts and see if it drops in price.

My Big Shot is a little work horse. If I didn't have the occasional Spellbinder die that didn't cut, I would not look at another machine. Nothing is worse than a bad Spellbinder!

Thanks for the info on costs.
sprtchick likes this post.
Unread 12-23-2015, 05:46 PM   #742
Inking Addict

Will the platinum allow you to use thick dies? I have the grand caliber and like it but it does not let me run the thick dies. I have to use my old wizard for that.
auntangie and Janet1000 like this post.
Unread 12-24-2015, 12:46 AM   #743
Compulsive Stamper

Yes you can use thick dies in this one. I have used my sizzix original dies with the platinum . 😀Xx

Visit My Blog
Unread 03-31-2016, 12:29 AM   #744
Inking Addict

I just bought my first 2 sets of nestabilities, and while they are quite nice & work very well in my Big Shot, I am a bit disappointed/frustrated in one aspect.

I bought the Classic Ovals - Large, and the Floral Ovals sets. I had hoped that the ovals would be 'compatible' with each other - i.e. layer well together. Particularly the largest ovals, and to a much lesser degree, the 2nd largest one - I wasn't too concerned over the 2 smallest ones in each set.

But the very largest plain oval doesn't work too well with the large floral oval - it leaves a sizable gap (example - this beautiful card here - Butterfly on vase by muscrat - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers (That obviously isn't my card - I wish mine were that pretty!)

What I had *hoped* for was a 'tighter' fit, and/or the ability to use the plain oval to cut out the center of the floral oval to make it into a frame.

These two cards show what I had *hoped* I'd be able to do:

A close fit when layering:
DTGD15stampersandeeA - Shabby Flowers by T. Joy - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers

and if they layer closely like that, then I can also cut out a nice narrow frame, like:

Joy by Debby4000 - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers

(Just to be sure no one thinks I'm trying to take credit, neither one of those gorgeous cards are mine either - they were simply cards I found in the gallery that illustrated what I was talking about...) I don't know how those ladies cut their ovals like that - if need be, I'll message them & ask...

I'm now hesitant to buy any other 'fancy' ovals from Spellbinders, if they will not "fit" well with the plain ovals. I will be using the largest ovals the very most, so that's the one I'm most concerned with.

Why can't manufacturers make their own products a little more 'compatible' with one another? Sizzix's own plain ovals are the narrow long ratio - yet their scallop ovals are the more rounded style! Now, the nestie plain & fancy ovals don't really fit with each other!
Sheesh!!!

I see that Stampin' Up has a custom set of sizzix framelits that are the proper 'fat oval' style & have a good many sizes in the set. Can anyone tell me if the SU oval collection will work with the fancy Spellbinders ovals, as far as fitting closely together? The large one, at least. I looked at the written measurements & it looks like they *might* work - but I don't want to buy *another* set only to find out that it doesn't quite do what I want either. I wish I could buy ONLY the large oval that works with the large floral oval! LOL!

I suppose I could try to look at the bright side - I was all ready to jump the gun & buy several more sets of various "fancy" ovals, once I got the chance to try these out -- and now, I'll be saving the money I guess! I do like these, they are pretty, they just aren't giving me the options I thought they would, so I don't think I need any other 'fancies'.

Thanks for any info you can give me!
Unread 03-31-2016, 02:12 AM   #745
Hardware Hotshot

There are or were three sets of Ovals. Classic Ovals and Petite Ovals which Both came in large and small sets. Plus Grand Labels which were only in one size and larger than the other sets

It looks like the white card example used the set S4-140 Petite Ovals sm. and used the second largest die to get the narrow space between the Floral oval and the plain oval .
The "shape" of the Petite ovals is exactly like the oval shape of Floral ovals . I have all the ovals sets and the Floral oval.

I am not sure if Spellbinders makes the Petite Oval sets anymore

Here are the numbers if you find them on e-bay or anywhere

S4-140 Petite Ovals Sm
S4-138 Petite Ovals LG

The concept of the nesting sets is each die in a set graduates by " and if you have the lg AND sm sets you can achieve a ⅛" difference between dies .

I believe you have the Classic Oval set.
The number for the Classic Oval sets are:
S4-110 Classic Ovals lg.
S4-112 Classic Ovals sm.

The shape of the Classic ovals is more elongated
The shape of the Petite ovals is fatter .

For much larger ovals the set is called Grand labels LF-110 . I believe those were discontinued too but perhaps you can find them on e-Bay.

Some of the Fancy oval dies inner shapes correspond to the Classic ovals shape other fancy oval dies correspond to the Petite ovals shapes.

Some people just scissor cut the inner plain oval if they don't have all the sets
When you use circle or squares you don't run into this dilemma .

I hope this helps
Barbara
auntangie and ravyn like this post.
Unread 03-31-2016, 12:46 PM   #746
Inking Addict

Default Frustration with getting ovals to 'match up'

Thanks, Barbara - yes, that helps! I appreciate all the information, although I'm more disappointed than before in these dies, after reading your reply & doing further research on sizes online. I had gotten a good deal on these two sets, luckily, I should have looked up the exact measurements, although that still wouldn't have been a certainty, as I wouldn't have had a precise measurement of the *inner* part of the fancy oval. Oh well, live & learn...

Sigh - ALL I wanted, was to use the 2 larger dies in the Floral Oval set, and "match up" a plain oval with them, for layering closely or using the plain oval to cut out the center of the floral oval to make a frame. I wouldn't think that would be *too* difficult!!

I looked up the "grand caliber' ovals (the LF-110) -- it appears that the very smallest one in that set would be exactly what I need to go with the very largest die in the Floral Oval set. (3 1/4" x 4 1/4") I'd have no use for the rest of the dies, though, as they'd be *too* large.

For the 2nd largest Floral Oval, it appears that the 2nd largest in the Classic Ovals - Small set S4-112 would fit quite nicely (2 x 2 3/4)

The Classic Ovals-Large that I bought don't work together with the Floral Ovals at all, they aren't big enough for the large floral & they are too big for the 2nd largest floral - so that was probably a mistake to get them, although I can still make some use out of the 2 larger dies in the set once in a while.

So, I'd need to buy two more complete sets of dies, just to end up with the two "coordinating pairs" that I originally was hoping for, and then I will have bought four full sets of dies, and ended up with 4 dies I wanted, 3 others that would get occasional use, and 13 out of 20 dies that I will never ever use! LOL

I realized I'd end up with *some* unused dies, since I never use the smallest few dies in this type of set - but I didn't think I'd have to buy so many different sets just to end up with the *4* dies that I truly wanted! And if I were to buy another 'fancy oval', it may or may not work with any of these 'plain' ovals at all & might need the shape of the Petite Ovals which are discontinued! Argh!!!

I think I need to just backtrack, go back to the basics & not get so caught up in feeling like I *need* fancy diecuts - or look at other brands, or ??

Frustrating too - as these Spellbinder dies work nicely in my machine. For whatever reason, my machine is ultra-finicky about doing intricate dies - intricate Sizzix thinlits & even detailed Sizzlets give me fits, no matter what shims, platform, etc I use. I was a bit worried when I got these, thinking my machine might fuss on the tiny details of the floral ovals - but they cut just fine, no shims, no fuss, no bother.
Unread 03-31-2016, 02:54 PM   #747
Glitter Guru

It looks to me like on the Joy card, Debby4000 handcut that out of the center.
Janet1000 likes this post.
Unread 03-31-2016, 04:04 PM   #748
Hardware Hotshot

I think your disappointment is because you are focused on two cards you saw that had narrow borders between the plain oval and the Floral oval.
However there are lots of ways to use the two dies you have .
Here are 3 cards I made that use the dies you have

Here is a card I made using the Floral Oval in black and the white is one of the classic ovals
Birthday Silhouette by Barbara Jay - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers

Here I used the small classic oval to stamp the Happy Birthday
Charlotte the Nurse by Barbara Jay - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers

In this card I layered 2 of the classic ovals in red & white and stamped Thank You on it . Then I put it on top of the Spellbinders Lotus Pendent ( in black)
JustRite Thank you by Barbara Jay - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers

If you look in the gallery you will find dozens of uses for the two sets you have that may not be exactly like the cards you saw

PS The smallest oval in the Grand oval set does NOT fit unless you only want about of the decorated edge showing from the Floral oval .
Barbara

Last edited by Barbara Jay; 03-31-2016 at 04:20 PM..
ravyn likes this post.
Unread 03-31-2016, 05:33 PM   #749
Inking Addict

(Hugs) Thank you for your encouragement, Barbara! Oh my, your cards are *gorgeous*!! I especially love the cameo one! No, I love them all!!!!!

I've almost always layered with the narrow 1/8" edges, and so when I bought the dies, that's what I had in mind, before ever even looking in the gallery for examples. But you're right - there's other ways to use them!

I have never really used the small basic shapes out of the handful of 'wafer-thin' die sets I have because I have a sizable collection of 'original' & 'Bigz' style thick dies going all the way back to when we only had the little red Sizzix press (and I still have that machine too! My dear late husband bought it for me way back when it first came out, I'll never ever part with it!)

For basic shapes, I have plenty of small ovals/circles/squares/small framed-shapes/etc in those dies. They're right there on my bookcase all lined up neatly in order (all 5 shelves filled up! LOL!) & it's quicker to just grab one of those chunky dies & pop it through the machine than to get the thin dies out of their binder. I guess I ought to take the smaller Spellbinders ovals in these new sets & compare them to the various small ovals from my steel-rule dies & see what differences there are, might be able to combine some of them in interesting ways!

Anyway - yeah, it was a disappointment that the dies wouldn't 'match up' & serve the specific purpose I had actually bought them for - I assumed a set of 'large' fancy ovals would match up, at least fairly well, with the 'large plain' ovals - but you know what they say about assuming things! But it's fine - with incredible examples like your cameo card to inspire me, I'm sure I'll get lots of use out of these after all!

Again --- ((((( THANK YOU )))) for all your help, and most of all, for the encouraging words!!! Had one of those weeks where *everything*, both big & small, was going wrong - and I think that played into making a minor disappointment turn into a bigger stressor than it normally would have been... Just a few words of encouragement can work wonders though -- so *thank you* for that!
TeeGeeDee likes this post.
Unread 03-31-2016, 05:54 PM   #750
Hardware Hotshot

You are very welcome. We all get in a rut once in a while
There are so many great cards in the gallery that use the Floral Oval.

Here is a lovely simple card from the gallery using just the floral oval, a sentiment, a butterfly and pearl dots
It is by Debbie4000
Simply a Butterfly by Debby4000 - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers
Barbara
TeeGeeDee likes this post.
Unread 03-31-2016, 06:34 PM   #751
Crimping Master

I also am amazed at how the dies don't really sync up. And I tend to focus on the rectangles and squares because they do fit together better.

When I am trying to layer the dies, I do a search on Pinterest to see how other people have layered the various dies together and the looks they are getting. It helps me see the potential of all my dies in various layers. I'm always pleasantly surprised by how someone has come up with a new way to layer.

And I admit that I collected pretty much all the Spellbinder dies I'm ever going to want. I realized half way through this that I should have picked a shape (rectangle, squares, ovals, circles) and completely collected all the dies in that shape first for the maximum number of combinations from the dies.

And when purchasing the labels sets, I should have bought the 3 types of die set for that number. And only that number. The labels are made to fit with each other precisely.
Unread 04-03-2016, 05:44 PM   #752
Insane Embellisher

Send a message via AIM to Jan R

I Have quite a few of the Spellbinders "lacy" ovals, squares, rectangles, circles and they seem to work well with the plain ovals etc. Not as fancy as some but still nice.
Ddnana likes this post.
Unread 01-31-2017, 11:58 AM   #753
Stazon Splitcoast

Does any one know where I could locate a translucent adapter mat for the Wizard to be used with Sizzix dies? I was not able to locate one on Spellbinder's website.

Angie

2016 WRAK Winter Exchange TEXTURES OF THE SEASON
S2S 2017 Challenge $2.66 updated 6/1/17
2017 Christmas Card Challenge
AOCC2017 2