Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 02-10-2010, 01:00 PM   #41
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheOtherMegView Post
I still don't understand how you're uploading your carts to a laptop/netbook.
You aren't actually uploading them; you are accessing them from the Cricut through the software.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 02-10-2010, 01:18 PM   #42
Glitter Guru

Yes, I understand that (I use DS frequently). What I didn't understand was RiverIsis' use of the phrase, "I can upload them to a laptop/netbook."

Since her recent post, I think she meant that she can use DS to see and design with the carts, which has nothing to do with uploading them.
Old 02-10-2010, 03:09 PM   #43
Stazon Splitcoast

Yes. I think we have established that I can use CDS in a very pedantic, nitpicking thread. I still can take it anywhere and look at my cartridges on it because I can select them within the software.

It wouldn't hurt to clarify with someone and give them the benefit of the doubt rather than pouncing on them repeatedly for using a term one way when you would have used it another.

Its like being roadkill swarmed at by vultures....
Old 02-10-2010, 03:22 PM   #44
Glitter Guru

I was trying to clarify. I asked you how you upload cartridges to a laptop/netbook. If you had answered that question, I would have know you meant you could look at the cart contents in DS. Since you didn't clarify, people had to try and figure out what you meant.
Old 02-10-2010, 04:38 PM   #45
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheOtherMegView Post
I was trying to clarify. I asked you how you upload cartridges to a laptop/netbook. If you had answered that question, I would have know you meant you could look at the cart contents in DS. Since you didn't clarify, people had to try and figure out what you meant.
IMO I repeatedly clarified quite specifically. Maybe "people" shouldn't read between the lines and make a mountain out of molehill.

SCS should be a place to share as fellow crafters not cut people down repeatedly after they have apologised for any error in communication.

BTW - in the spirit of being helpful - use the "quote" button on the post you wish to quote. It then doesn't look so much like someone is being gossiped about and people can readily read what has been written without danger of being misquoted. HTH
Old 02-10-2010, 05:39 PM   #46
Hardware Hotshot

Speaking only for myself, RiverIsis, my intention wasn't to pounce on you, or anything of that nature. I was clarifying a term that TheOtherMeg didn't quite understand. I think several people posted at the same time, because the 2 posts before mine weren't there when I posted.
Old 02-10-2010, 06:17 PM   #47
Glitter Guru

I understand "upload" to mean the content is transferred (or copied) from one place to another, which is why I was confused by the phrase, "I can upload them [cartridges] to a laptop/netbook."

I do understand now that RiverIsis meant something entirely different. I, too, was not trying to pounce on anyone. I was simply extremely interested in uploading carts to a netbook/laptop and wanted to know how that was done. I've been using DS on a netbook, but bought a Gypsy a few days ago. It hasn't arrived yet and, if there really is/was a way to upload the content of carts to a netbook, I wanted to know about it before opening my Gypsy!
Old 02-11-2010, 04:49 AM   #48
Stazon Splitcoast

Thanks ladies, all is good.

Have fun with your Gypsy. I would be nervous too if I thought from reading somewhere that I already had the tools to do a job and just bought something different. Glad we cleared up my mistake!
Old 02-13-2010, 07:40 AM   #49
Insane Embellisher

Hi!
Welcome to the world of Cricut, it's fun, congratulations on your wonderful gift from your family.

I do recommend watching some of the You-Tube videos. There are so many out there that show how to use the 3 Cricut machines, just by putting in a cartridge and cutting.

There are videos on SCAL, MTC and CDS. There are videos on the Gypsy as well.

The best way to get used to the Cricut is to stick some paper on your mat and make some cuts. I made lots of mistakes in the beginning, but not all of them were mistakes. After some practice you will get the hang of the language and the size of the images. The handbook is very useful. Simply start making cuts following their example in the book. It will walk you through the steps. I started with 2 cartridges, then this one, then that one, then that sale, before I knew it I'm up to 54 and still a few on my wish list. PC is always coming out with new cartridges, buy on sale, buy what you like and just enjoy. All cartridges come with a lot of images, even the small solution cartridges, and with the aid of the design programs some shapes can be manipulated.

The CDS allows you to view all images on all cartridges. Good when it comes to future purchases, bad because it increases your wishlist. All these software programs allow you to take an image and manipulate it to suit your design. Don't want a 3x3" square, you want a 3.38x3.38" box you can do that. Want your box to lean to the left at a 30 degree angle you can do that. Want to take three different size circles and weld (overlap the images so they cut as one continuous cut) to make a snowman, you can do that. If you want to put a Globe image on the roof of a car, but both are different cartridges, you can do that too, provided you own both cartridges. Weld them together, press cut and follow the directions. (CDS will prompt you to swap cartridges in your Circut, if the cartrideges are in a jukebox, the cut will be smooth. If the cartridges are linked to a Gypsy you can cut uninterrupted also). See, so many variations, so much fun. Also, you can save those designs as a file and use them again later on.

Over at www.cricut.com/messageboard there is a gallery of different cartridges and items made using those cartridges. Here on SCS do a search for Circut and you'll see lots of wonderful examples.

I have CDS and a Gypsy. I don't like sitting at the computer and designing. I do like designing on the Gypsy. I did register my Gypsy and all my cartridges, should I break or lose my Gypsy and purchase a new Gypsy I will simply send it to Provo Craft, they will change the serial number to be the same as the number on my broken/lost Gypsy, send it back to me. I do expect fees, since I broke or lost my machine, like shipping and such. Then I can link my cartridges again and get back to designing. (All except fees apply if your Gypsy has a problem under warranty) If I'm organized I will have linked my Gypsy files with my CDS files (and make a back up copy) so I could reload the replacement machine. Assuming I'm organized, which I'm not, LOL!!!!

There are two reasons to keep your cartridges even if you have them linked to a Gypsy. The first, of course, is if you have to replace your Gypsy you have the cartridges to relink. I have loaned a few of my cartridges out to a close friend, she uses the cartridges in her Cricut with CDS while I can still use the images through my Gypsy. Wild Card I still use on my Cricut, the fit to size feature is easier on the Cricut than on the Gypsy, since it doesn't have a fit to page feature. Since a Gypsy is not dedicated to one particular Cricut machine I have taken my Gypsy to my friends house and made some cuts for her from cartridges she doesn't have. It was great to not bring all my cartridges over, just the Gypsy.

Well that's probably too much information. Being new at something can be overwhelming and frustrating. Several times I've wondered why I have these things too. Relax, enjoy, experiment and above all have fun.

Enjoy
Old 02-13-2010, 10:23 AM   #50
Compulsive Stamper

"I think because if the gypsy has something happen to it, then you can't get those cartridges loaded onto a new one."

I don't understand where people are coming up with all this misinformation. If something happens to your Gypsy, you send it back to Provo Craft, if it can't be fixed, they will give you a new machine with the same serial number as the old one so all your cartridges can be reinstalled. If a Gyps is lost or stolen, I believe that the process is similar. Your cartridges are all still usable in any Cricut.

Last edited by dnkmmw; 02-13-2010 at 10:24 AM.. Reason: Quote didn't come through properly.
Old 03-20-2010, 08:00 PM   #51
Compulsive Stamper

Perhaps this has been anwered all ready but I just briefly skimmed the posts. . . I just bought design studio tonight for my cricut and from what I understand I won't be able to run DS and SCAL together as DS updates block SCAL? Is this right?

Also, I don't know much about SCAL. Is this a design tool like DS? What are the advantages over DS?

Thanks everyone!
Old 03-20-2010, 09:25 PM   #52
Rubber Obsessor

Just wanted to tell you I love love your avatar Gale!! That show was awesome.

Nicole.
Old 03-20-2010, 10:16 PM   #53
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by galeView Post
[IMG]//www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/images/icons/icon14.gif[/IMG] thanks. Just watched Serenity the other night.
Sadly, I found out it was only a one season show. It has great humor. Thanks for keeping me entertained today!!
Old 03-21-2010, 07:02 AM   #54
Glitter Guru

You can get the entire season on DVD, and the movie, too. Our house was in quite a funk when the show wasn't renewed.
Old 03-21-2010, 03:00 PM   #55
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by MaplemelView Post
The whole gypsy thing scares me. Even if you can use it on it's own after loading it on gypsy, the idea of not being able to load it on another gypsy is not cool. What if your gypsy meets with an unfortunate accident. Now your cart can't be loaded onto your new gypsy...sounds scammy to me. I know they are trying to protect themselves from copyright issues around the cartridges but they have not thought everything out if this is the case.
You have to register your cartridges so if something happens to your Gypsy, Provo Craft will reload your replacement or repaired Gypsy with the same serial numbers. That way you don't lose all your cartridges if the Gypsy crashes.
Old 03-21-2010, 05:51 PM   #56
Kookie Creator

well as a very new cricut owner myself with only 2 carts i am very happy with it, i bought SCAL right away and am LOVING the variety of things i can do with the free svg files out there and even the inexpensive purchased ones.........and its not hard at all....i found tutorials and the gals here are awesome if you have trouble.

MY Blog