Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-14-2013, 02:34 PM   #1  
Mad Swapper

Received 132 Likes on 54 Posts
Default Sizzix Letterpress Plate in Vagabond or Big Shot

Anyone have a sandwich that works well? The one on the packaging did not work for me, though I admit my cardstock, although quite heavyweight, may not be the 100 lb.+ called for. I don't want to over-stress the machine with experiments. Wondering if maybe these plates are just not a good idea for use with the Vagabond.

(The Sizzix packaging calls for Solo Platform, Solo Shim, letterpress plate, heavy cardstock, one clear cutting pad.)
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-15-2013, 07:38 AM   #2  
Die Cut Diva

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

I don't have a vagabond, but if I want to do something new with my CB or BSP, I adjust my sandwich by adding paper/cardstock shims slowly building up the thickness. You know what feels ok or not if you've been using your machine for a while, so as long as you only add one sheet at a time, you should be ok.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-15-2013, 08:21 AM   #3  
Mad Swapper

Trying stuff out in my Cuttlebug (now packed away in storage) was not a problem, but I am concerned with experimenting when it comes to an electric die cutter. You can easily sense the right or wrong tension with manual operation, but determining the safe motor sound in the Vagabond is tricky....and could be costly.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-15-2013, 09:07 AM   #4  
Die Cut Diva

Ah! of course- I completely forgot that the Vagabond was electric :oops:
I found this video on YouTube, don't know if you've seen it?
I also found it on this Sixxix blog, , so it should actually work as this is the SIzzix blog, so perhaps you have the right idea that the card isn't thick enough.
Its so hard to be sure with these things isn't it? I bought the Tim Holtz Embossing Diffuser plates, and the blog I saw a lady use them on in a Cuttlebug, used a sandwich which was WAY too thick for my 'bug! I had to drop one of the 'B' plates for my machine, but on hers it went through no problem.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-15-2013, 09:28 AM   #5  
Mad Swapper

The Sizzix letterpress starter kit shown in the video is different from the letterpress plates; so I was unsure of following it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-15-2013, 10:04 AM   #6  
Mad Swapper

OK, I think I got this straight now. This video from Scrapbooking Made Simple really helped: Scrapbooking Made Simple uses the NEW "Ink Its" Letter Press Plates by Sizzix - YouTube

The letterpress plate looks like half of an embossing folder, but it is larger (ca. 6 x and has a more pronounced design. Because of that, I thought the paper impression would be super debossed. I hadn't tried it with ink yet because I wanted to make sure first that the debossing was done right. The video notes that the debossing is not very pronounced ( it won't be like looking a the back of an embossing folder impression).

I'll try the Sizzix directions again but use ink to see if the effect is as shown in this video. Sizzix also suggests adding a foam sheet; I suppose that is the thin foam sheeting used in packing parcels....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-16-2013, 02:12 AM   #7  
Die Cut Diva

Could be, or maybe the craft foam sheets-don't you wish they would be much clearer in what they recommend? I agree, if the design is more prominent, I'd have expected the debossing to be extra deep too.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-24-2013, 05:37 AM   #8  
Die Cut Diva

I know this thread is a couple of weeks old, but just watching Tims CHA review reminded me about something. Do you have the gauge for sandwich thicknesses for the Vagabond? If not, Vagabond owners can get one free by going to the Sizzix site. It eliminates all the guesswork for different die sandwiches.
Reply With Quote Likes