Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 11-25-2013, 04:49 PM   #1  
Embossing Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Silouette for a computer novice???

I am reading and hearing what wonderful things the Silhouette can do but I'm afraid that the learning curve might be to difficult for me. I used SCAL on my Cricut Machine but it took awhile to learn. I am not a computer geek and just wondered if there were any newbies out there like me who have bought and used the Silhouette and would recommend that I try it. I will still be buying dies to coordinate with stamps but hope I can eliminate many also.

What accessories are necessary to make it work? Is Design Studio beneficial?

Who has a good price and bundle?

Thanks ahead for all of your help
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-25-2013, 06:47 PM   #2  
Insane Embellisher

I just purchased a Sizzix eClips and love it!

Does the Silhouette use SCAL software or software just for that brand?

There is a learning curve with the SCAL software which is called ECAL for the eClips, so if you already use SCAL, it might be worth buying the eClips rather than the Silhouette.

I've been using a program at work that does many of the same things the eClips does but on a much grander scale, so the software for my eClips hasn't been difficult so far. (I work for a sign and monument company where we produce signs and engrave headstones.)

I also own Stampin' Up's design software and there are some issues with the eCal software but nothing too challenging. I actually went to my "C" drive and copied everything to my desktop on my computer so I could use it outside of the SU My Digital Studio. Almost everything is usable in the eCal software! However, when I try to export something as an SVG, then use it in eCal, THAT is a challenge in eCal. I've found it easier to create a new SVG with free Inkscape software then import to the eCal software. Pretty easy, to do!

Good luck with your decision!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-25-2013, 06:59 PM   #3  
Die Cut Diva

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If I remember correctly, there is a plug-in for SCAL that will allow you to use that program with the Silhouette. I know I was using a version of SCAL with my CraftRobo (like the original Wishblade/Silhouette) in trial mode, so if you are already familiar with SCAL, you are already ahead of the game. The Silhouette Studio software is very user friendly with a lot of online support. I started out using the free version of SS and didn't really need much more than that. The only reason I have the paid designer edition is because I won it in a contest. There are only one or two little things in the DE that I find are useful. For the most part, you can do everything you need in the free version.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-26-2013, 08:34 AM   #4  
Die Cut Diva

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Shopduchess, you could post this question also in the Silhouette chatter sticky- I'm sure the ladies on there will give you a lot of good advice and hints . There are quite a few new users amongst them, and they'll be able to tell you how they found the learning curve.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-26-2013, 08:53 PM   #5  
Stazon Splitcoast

I found the Cameo very easy to use. I set it up with no assistance and figured most things out on my own. There is a great thread in tools near the top of the forum regarding the Cameo.
Blessings.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-27-2013, 08:40 PM   #6  
Cardstock Collector

Default SCAL works with Silhouette Cameo

I know that SCAL will work with the Cameo. I bought it when I bought my Cameo 2 years ago, I had a version that I used with my Cricut, so I thought I should stick with it for the Cameo. BUT, I have only used it one time. I bought the designer edition of Studio, and It works great. It's all in what you are comfortable with. The designer edition of Studio is required if you want to use SVG's with Studio, as the basic version of Studio only will accommodate .studio files. One thing that the designer edition of Studio doesn't have is Layers. I have ways to work around the lack of layers, but it is probably the one thing I miss the most. However, It doesn't cause me enough grief to switch back to SCAL at this point. I hope this helps. If you are already using SCAL, I think you will have a very smooth transition if you either use it for the Cameo, or even switch to the designer edition. I love my Cameo, I use it so much more than my Cricut because I can cut almost any image I can find, as well as all my true type fonts without using a cartridge.
Reply With Quote Likes