Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 12-01-2018, 03:43 AM   #1441
Die Cut Diva

Hi guys, back again with a result! I emailed back to Silhouette, telling them that the previous methods hadn't worked, and they came back to me with another solution. This one fixed it, so here is the email response I got, in case anyone else has the same problem.

Thank you for your reply. These errors are tied to a recent change associated with Windows Update 1809. The following steps will make available all outside fonts:

1. Press the Windows and R Keys
2. Type %localappdata% into the Run box
3. Press Okay
4. Open the Microsoft folder
5. Open the Windows folder
6. Open the Fonts folder
7. Right-click on each font
8. Select Install for ALL Users

Once installed, run Silhouette Studio.

I did have to restart my pc after doing this, as the first time I fired up the Silhouette software, there was no change, but after a restart, all my fonts are now showing.

Tweedcurtain, thanks for that response, I'm going to save that article, just in case!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
tweedcurtain and jjhere like this post.
Old 12-27-2018, 08:56 PM   #1442
Insane Embellisher

My head is spinning! There's so much info out about personal cutting machines and I'm at a loss as to which one to get. I am leaning toward the Scan n Cut (probably DX?). I'm a disgruntled Cricut owner so Cricut is out, but trying to decide if I should get a Silhouette or Scan n Cut. The thing I like about the Scan n Cut is that I can scan stamped images and cut them out. What are the advantages of the Silhouette? Any words of wisdom appreciated. Thanks!

http://elvesintheattic.blogspot.com/
shazsilverwolf likes this post.
Old 12-28-2018, 05:25 AM   #1443
Die Cut Diva

The Silhouette - at least my Portrait 2 - also has a scan and cut ability. You get a Pix scan mat with it. Not used it yet, so I can't say how good it is, but this You Tube video has all the info. I chose a Silhouette as I'd had one of the original machines, so was already conversant with the software, and knew how reliable they were. Also, the price was much lower than a Scan & Cut.

.<iframe src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/19VoNFEgKsQ" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen="" width="560" height="315" frameborder="0"></iframe>
Old 12-28-2018, 05:53 AM   #1444
Insane Embellisher

With the Silhouette Cameo 2 and 3, you can scan stamped images and cut them also. You don't need the special mat if you have a way to scan the stamped images in with a printer/scanner.
Old 12-28-2018, 08:03 AM   #1445
Die Cut Diva

Thanks for coming in with that info, mouseprints. I didn't know if it applied to other machines in the Silhouette range or not. Interesting bit about using a scanner- I need to investigate that now and see if the Portrait does the same thing!
Old 01-19-2019, 12:57 PM   #1446
Mad Swapper

How do you store your Cameo? I am looking for a rolling cart, I think.
Old 01-21-2019, 07:38 AM   #1447
Embossing Fanatic

Default Cameo Setup

I have stacking shelves from the Container Store that sit to the right of my Computer. They have my Zing on top and My Cameo underneath.
Old 01-26-2019, 03:10 PM   #1448
Polyshrink Goddess

Mine is on a metal rolling chest of drawers although I don't roll it anywhere. I have an old school Cameo so it needs to be plugged into my computer. My printer is just to the right in front so I guess this is my Technology Corner!
Old 01-30-2019, 06:35 PM   #1449
Insane Embellisher

My Cameo 2 sits near my laptop as it is not wireless.

Old 02-04-2019, 12:21 AM   #1450
Glitter Queen

My Cameo is on the shelf which made me carpenter. Shelf is about 40 cm above the scrapbooking table.
Old 02-11-2019, 02:10 AM   #1451
Die Cut Diva

Please forgive if this is a repetitive question; just can't see going through 37 pages to find an answer to a quick question.

So, going through my craft room, I found a NIB, unopened machine called the "Silhouette 2." I'm guessing this is a dinosaur and worthy only of a donation. Am I correct, or is this something sell-able?
Old 02-11-2019, 02:14 AM   #1452
Die Cut Diva

Hi Binx, is it just Silhouette 2, or Silhouette Cameo/Portrait 2. If the latter, then it's a fairly new machine, I've just bought a Portrait 2. If not, maybe emailing Silhouette, and asking them, based on the Serial Number, how old it is? It may even still be compatible with the cutting software now, and worthy of being kept. I replaced my original Silhouette recently, one that was maybe 15 years old. Still worked, but was indeed a dinosaur, and there were many new software features it couldn't use, but did still work with older software.
Old 02-11-2019, 10:17 AM   #1453
Die Cut Diva

Thanks, Shaz, good suggestion. BTW, I really enjoy your blog, especially when you review products.
Old 02-12-2019, 02:11 AM   #1454
Die Cut Diva

Thank You Binx! I like to try and tell it as it is.Having fallen for manufacturers blurb in the past- yes, I'm looking at you Staz-on Opaques!- I now try to wait and see what the crafters on here really think of a product. We all know every maker wants us to believe their product is the bees knees.
Old 02-13-2019, 02:24 AM   #1455
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaspo View Post
My Cameo is on the shelf which made me carpenter. Shelf is about 40 cm above the scrapbooking table.
That would be good, I have to move my Portrait and connect it up each time I use it, then put it back on a bookshelf. I stand it on large piece of felt as that reduces the noise a bit - it doubles as a dust cover.
Old 03-19-2019, 06:04 PM   #1456
Mad Swapper

Hi guys! Anyone remember a million years ago (like 2006) when the Craft Robo was a thing? And we were all talking about it, and buying them? And then Silhouette bought them?

Well I bought one, and it's taken me 13 years to update my machine! LOL! But I'm excited! I just ordered a new Cameo 3 since there's a great deal where you get it with a Mint for $199! And it comes in blue!

Anyway, since I first learned about this machine here I thought this would be a fun place to find inspiration and talk about it!

Also, does anyone remember when there was a free program called "wish-away" that would make different file types compatible with the software so we could cut anything? Is that still around? Just wondering. I'm sure things have changed a lot in the last 13 years! Sadly I haven't gotten as much use out of my Craft Robo in the last few years as I should have. But I'm excited to have a new toy! LOL!

And does anyone know what the cameo 3 comes with? I didn't see a list on the site, I was too excited to do much research before ordering, but now I'm wondering what I'll be getting with the machine? I assume it comes with a blade and a cutting mat, but what size? And does it come with the scanning mat, or anything else?

HI! Nice to be back!
Old 03-19-2019, 06:33 PM   #1457
Matboard Maniac

>>

Mooshie,

Congrats on getting a new Cameo. I have had a Cameo since 2012. I'm on my 2nd one. You can learn a lot of here plus on Facebook there are several Silhouette groups. I love the blog Silhouette school blog. Melissa does a great job! Also there are lots of YouTubes to watch.

https://www.silhouetteschoolblog.com

Have fun & know the machine is awesome & you can do so much with it. Have fun!

Last edited by ladyofcards; 03-19-2019 at 06:35 PM.. Reason: Wasn't finished! Hit wrong key!
Old 05-23-2019, 09:14 AM   #1458
Kookie Creator

Default When to use the machine VS a die

I'm back crafting after a 3 year hiatus. Divorce killed my crafty mojo.

When do you choose to use the SIL vs a big shot? I know it will vary but do you have a rule of thumb?

Cheers, Annette

////*////*
Savagetwin likes this post.
Old 05-23-2019, 10:01 AM   #1459
Insane Embellisher

Default Welcome back!

I have all sorts of cutting machines including the Silhouette and Big Shot. I love them both and wouldn't give one up for the other. The Big Shot is an absolute must if you work with dies. I have a large collection of both thin and thick dies. So the Big Shot is here to stay.

I love to see what Tim Holtz comes up with as well as Eileen Hull with her thick die designs. I can cut out very thick material with the Big Shot. I can add adhesive on both sides with no fear of not being able to cut. I even got a Big Shot Foldaway that is portable and fits on small spaces. So, I am a fan, a big fan of Sizzix Big Shot. For intricate dies, I use my Gemini.

The electronic Silhouette Cameo allows me to design my own stuff and cut it out. So different. If you own no dies and have no interest in them, then Cameo is the way to go hands down. It is computer driven. So, you have to have access to a MAC or PC. So many advances over the 5 years since I first got a Cameo five years ago. I hear that the Cameo 4 will be coming out in the fall and I will wait until the reviews are out to finally upgrade.

Hope I was of some help.

Last edited by Savagetwin; 05-23-2019 at 10:09 AM.. Reason: Additional information
papercrafting and binx like this post.
Old 05-23-2019, 02:24 PM   #1460
Matboard Maniac

Default Cameo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by papercrafting View Post

When do you choose to use the SIL vs a big shot? I know it will vary but do you have a rule of thumb?

Cheers, Annette
Hi Annette,
I love both machines but I use my Cameo for most things except embossing. I like the ability to size things from huge to very small. Dies don't let you do that. A design on the Silhouette store is 50¢-2.00. So much cheaper than a die! If you are on Facebook there are lots of Silhouette groups. They are very helpful. Have fun!
Old 05-27-2019, 07:54 AM   #1461
Embossing Fanatic

I like to use my BigSHot machine for things that I have a die for and want to cut multiples quickly. IF I own a die for the design I want it much quicker that using the cameo. And embossing love that because your dies often include embossing details and it hard to get that electronically. I alos like that the dies leave a rounded over edge on the cuts that the cameo does not.

Like another person said I can create my own designs and also like that I can size the design however I like with my cameo. There is a learning curve for this. IF you are software savvy you'll be designing in no time.
I can also do print and cut in the Cameo of stamped images and avoid fussy cutting. But I only do this when I want multiples. I craft in a group and would use the cameo to do the fussy cutting for group projects.

I think both a die cutting machine and a electronic cutter are nice to have if you can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by papercrafting View Post

Cheers, Annette
Old 09-27-2019, 04:40 AM   #1462
Hardware Hotshot

New update is a real horror show. My friend's computer is crashing, the mobile apps can't be downloaded or even found in the App Store, and Silhouette America is of no help. They are "working on it, but have no estimated time frame for the fixes." The main reason I got a Portrait was so that I could use the Pix Scan mat to cut out my stamped images. That doesn't work either, because you need to use a mobile device with it. A big thumbs-down for Silhouette right now. I know a lot of people here don't like ProvoCraft, but I've never had issues like this with my Cricut and Design Space. I'm really disappointed.
Old 09-27-2019, 05:46 AM   #1463
Compulsive Stamper

I'm always hesitant to upgrade as soon as it comes out because of possible bugs in it. Has anyone else had trouble with the new update?
Old 09-28-2019, 09:50 PM   #1464
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapjanny View Post
New update is a real horror show. My friend's computer is crashing, the mobile apps can't be downloaded or even found in the App Store, and Silhouette America is of no help. They are "working on it, but have no estimated time frame for the fixes.”
Sorry to hear this. Perhaps your friend can go back to an earlier version of the software. My understanding is the latest release is for the Cameo 4. Instructions to roll back are here: https://www.silhouetteschoolblog.com...ersion-of.html
Old 09-29-2019, 07:05 AM   #1465
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweedcurtain View Post
Sorry to hear this. Perhaps your friend can go back to an earlier version of the software. My understanding is the latest release is for the Cameo 4. Instructions to roll back are here: How to Go Back to an Older Version of Silhouette Studio - Silhouette School
That's what she ended up doing. Thanks, though, for the suggestion.
Old 09-29-2019, 09:21 AM   #1466
Mad Swapper

I did the update for the Cameo 4 even though I still only have Cameo 2. I have not had any problems with mine.
Old 10-08-2019, 02:32 AM   #1467
Rubber Obsessor

Exclamation Windows 10 not compatible with older models

I got a new PC with Windows 10. (was Windows 7) My Portrait 1 won't talk to it. It is a known issue : Silhouette have a firmware update that might fix it, however to install that you need a computer it will talk to.
I'm going to buy a new device instead, as I was thinking of upgrading anyway.
But if I had known I would have tried the firmware update before the old computer left the house.

In case this info is useful to someone.
Old 10-18-2019, 05:11 AM   #1468
Hardware Hotshot

Does anyone know if the PixScan mat function still works? I know the app is defunct. I tried all day last Saturday to get it to work. I even re-calibrated, and the dot sheet wouldn't print correctly. My Portrait 2 refused to recognize anything I did. I'd appreciate any help you can offer. Thanks!

@AussieJenny, I have a Portrait 2, and it works fine with Windows 10. Is this issue known to be a problem with only the Portrait 1? I know that when I got my P2, it took a few tries to get the bluetooth to work. Now it works without any problems. I hope Silhouette can help you. They couldn't help me with the apps. I couldn't get a direct answer from them, so I stopped trying.

I know that ProvoCraft has its issues and has made its mistakes, but my Cricut Explore Air never gives me these problems. I'm very disappointed with Silhouette. The only reason I got a Portrait 2 in the first place was to use it for the PixScan in order to cut out my stamped images. I don't want to pay the high prices for the Scan 'n Cut.

Last edited by Scrapjanny; 10-18-2019 at 05:17 AM..
Old 10-19-2019, 02:33 AM   #1469
Rubber Obsessor

It is the Portrait 1 specifically, which doesn't have bluetooth. They offer the firmware update and suggest trying a usb hub, but explicitly state they don't provide any further support for the Portrait 1 due to its age. I understand that, as that's how things go in the world of computers.
After some indecision I ended up buying a Portrait 2, as I would need a major re-arrangement to be able to store and use the bigger machine.
I have a pixscan mat, if no one else answers I can pull it out and give it a go.
Scrapjanny likes this post.
Old 10-20-2019, 09:43 AM   #1470
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieJenny View Post
It is the Portrait 1 specifically, which doesn't have bluetooth. They offer the firmware update and suggest trying a usb hub, but explicitly state they don't provide any further support for the Portrait 1 due to its age. I understand that, as that's how things go in the world of computers.
After some indecision I ended up buying a Portrait 2, as I would need a major re-arrangement to be able to store and use the bigger machine.
I have a pixscan mat, if no one else answers I can pull it out and give it a go.
Thanks, and have fun with your new machine.
Old 10-23-2019, 02:34 AM   #1471
Rubber Obsessor

well I could print the dot sheet and import it as calibration, photographed from my phone, but it doesn't like it - no exif data in it. I took a photo and imported it , it didn't like that, different aspect ration from the dots sheet ( hardly surprising as the dot sheet is smaller) and no exif data...I select continue anyway then it does its processing and gives me ....a blank design page.
It also doesn't recognise my scanner, which works perfectly well with the windows scan utility. Not happy, Silhouette, not happy at all.
Old 11-04-2019, 10:50 AM   #1472
Rubber Obsessor

I have an older Silhouette Cameo and I don't know what model it is. It hasn't been used in over 7 years and it only says Silhouette Cameo. The top has that name in the left corner with a silhouette of a woman and there's maybe a model number E158051. I'm trying to figure out if I can load the software to a new computer and get it going. Even if I need new blades and a mat I'd be ahead. I'd like to try scanning and cutting out stamped images instead of buying die cuts so much.
Old 11-04-2019, 03:06 PM   #1473
Stampin' Fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnagwd View Post
I have an older Silhouette Cameo and I don't know what model it is. It hasn't been used in over 7 years and it only says Silhouette Cameo. The top has that name in the left corner with a silhouette of a woman and there's maybe a model number E158051. I'm trying to figure out if I can load the software to a new computer and get it going. Even if I need new blades and a mat I'd be ahead. I'd like to try scanning and cutting out stamped images instead of buying die cuts so much.

You should be able to. I say "should" because I have the original first Cameo Silhouette myself and the latest update really messed things up for a bit. I thought I lost my whole library of almost 10,000 designs! But I went to their support page and found out what to do.
Now I use mine with no problem. I had not used mine for a couple years and felt I was out of the loop, but it was easy to figure it out once again.
Donnagwd likes this post.
Old 11-04-2019, 03:10 PM   #1474
Stampin' Fool

So my new question is for anyone who has the 4 who also had the original Cameo...is there a significant difference? I don't cut heavy materials or anything like that.
I was a little disappointed to find out that though the 4 has dual capabilities you can still only use one feature at a time. Like you can't sketch, and then cut immediately. You will have to swap out the pens for the cutting blade.
The only thing that had my interest besides that feature was the fact that it is wireless...but in my new smaller craft room (which is my bedroom) my laptop sits right next to my Silhouette so no big deal for them to be connected by usb.
Anyway, would anyone care to share if you own the new Cameo 4?
tia,
Kathy
Old 11-05-2019, 01:44 AM   #1475
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:
Originally Posted by klh54 View Post
So my new question is for anyone who has the 4 who also had the original Cameo...is there a significant difference? I don't cut heavy materials or anything like that.
I was a little disappointed to find out that though the 4 has dual capabilities you can still only use one feature at a time. Like you can't sketch, and then cut immediately. You will have to swap out the pens for the cutting blade.
I don't have the 4 but did research it. There's a lot of detail in this article but the relevant thing is that the second tool holder in the 4 is only for the special new tools. In the cameo 3 you get two of the same tool holders so you can sketch and cut without swapping out in between. (scroll down to see the end of the article - Melissa thought the 3 was still better for some people and that Silhouette should keep selling it, although they decided not to)
Silhouette CAMEO 3 vs CAMEO 4: Do I Need Both? (Comparison Chart) - Silhouette School
You might consider getting a Cameo 3 if they are still available. From a
technology point of view being one year behind the latest isn't such a bad idea.
Old 11-05-2019, 04:21 AM   #1476
Stampin' Fool

Thanks for that link. I have read some others opinions and I do believe she's right that it's an add-on tool rather than a replacement tool. I guess I need to investigate the 3 compared to the first model which I own!
Old 11-05-2019, 05:00 PM   #1477
Stampin' Fool

So I did some digging and I do believe the Cameo 3 is a better bet for me. the 4 looks and acts amazing but I don't need it since I'm a "light-weight" creator!
Old 11-05-2019, 08:33 PM   #1478
Mad Swapper

Anyone having problems with getting their downloads from Silhouette today?

I've never had this much of a problem. Website says I got the images, but the images all say "Download failed - Retry". I've tried syncing it; it spun and spun for what seemed like ages, but nothing changed. I updated my Silhouette thinking that might help and I've restarted my computer and my program a couple times.

Nothing seems to be working.

Any ideas? If you do, that would be great. If not, I guess I'll call Silhouette tomorrow.
Old 11-06-2019, 04:18 AM   #1479
Hardware Hotshot

I emailed Silhouette about the Pix Scan function again today. Let's see if they answer me this time. I'm really ticked about their customer service.
Old 11-06-2019, 07:26 AM   #1480
Mad Swapper

I usually get excellent customer service from Silhouette. In fact, I'll be contacting them today, so I'll let you know.