Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 10-26-2017, 07:47 AM   #1401
Polyshrink Goddess

Default Silhoutte vs Scan & Cut

I'm sorry if this has been asked, however I looked through pages and pages and also searched with no luck. Thanks in advance.

I have the Cameo and don't nearly get the use out of it that I should. I have heard great things about the Scan & Cut but doesn't the Cameo scan and cut? I took a few years off crafting on a larger level (mostly just a card here and there due to moving and life) and am anxious to get back to it but don't want to reinvent the wheel if what I have works adequately for cutting out my stamped images. Thanks!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 10-30-2017, 11:03 PM   #1402
Rubber Obsessor

Hi Erica, if you get a Pixscan mat you can scan and cut with the Cameo. You need to have a scanner or a phone or camera as you have to get the scan or photo into Silhouette studio so it knows where to cut. There are plenty of instructions online. I think the Brother Scan & Cut is attractive to many people on SCS as it has the scanner and a little screen built in and you can scan and cut without having to use a computer at all. I myself prefer a full sized screen and mouse and the flexibility of a computer.
EricaB, sprtchick and jukie like this post.
Old 11-02-2017, 05:29 AM   #1403
Polyshrink Goddess

Thank you so much. I will try it out this weekend.
Old 11-05-2017, 01:14 PM   #1404
Cardstock Collector

Question Resizing and Rotation problems

I am wondering if anyone else is having this issue with Cameo Silhouette: In the past couple weeks, I have not been able to easily rotate or resize objects with my cursor. When I place the cursor in the corners of an object to resize or by the green rotation dot, nothing happens. I usually have to go to the resize menu and enter the dimensions, rather than just moving the cursor. I use a Mac computer. I have tried looking online to see if anyone else has this problem , but am having difficulty finding any Silhouette help forums and the the problem is not addressed in the troubleshooting section of the Silhouette website. My software is up to date. Any suggestions?
Old 11-05-2017, 08:21 PM   #1405
Rubber Obsessor

Have you heard of any good sales coming up on the Cameo? I am thinking with Black Friday coming up, there may be some good deals soon.
Old 11-06-2017, 02:00 AM   #1406
Rubber Obsessor

Maybe go into edit , preferences and look at or change options to do with editing and selection. It could be one of them got changed before. The other thing is try to work out what changed at the time it started to go wrong. Did you update Silhouette studio at that time? Does your mouse works OK with other software? including holding down the button and dragging? I dont have a MAC or the latest version so I cant help any more than that.
If nothing helps you could contact Silhouette directly. https://www.silhouetteamerica.com/contact
pepperann likes this post.
Old 11-06-2017, 10:22 AM   #1407
Hardware Hotshot

Bumblebee, are you on Facebook? if you are I would recommend you follow Silhouette School, Melissa is amazing and very generous with her knowledge, and the other followers are always helping each other out.
pepperann likes this post.
Old 12-26-2017, 01:54 PM   #1408
Hardware Hotshot

Can anyone tell me how to redeem the complimentary Silhouette trial subscription code that I received for registering my Portrait 2 machine? I've Googled it, but I can't find anything. Thanks!
Old 12-26-2017, 03:22 PM   #1409
Die Cut Diva

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapjanny View Post
Can anyone tell me how to redeem the complimentary Silhouette trial subscription code that I received for registering my Portrait 2 machine? I've Googled it, but I can't find anything. Thanks!
Hi!

It happens when you register your machine. There is a multi-step process. Go to SilhouetteAmerica.com, log in, go to support, on left side click on register your machine then when you do that you can scroll down and see step 5 which is to get your shapes and step 6 is to claim your store subscription.

Hope this helps! if not, PM me and I will help some more. Congrats on your machine...I just upgraded to the Cameo 3 and gave my cousin my Portrait 1. He is having a blast making shirts!

Pam
Old 12-26-2017, 04:09 PM   #1410
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:
Originally Posted by pammers View Post
Hi!

It happens when you register your machine. There is a multi-step process. Go to SilhouetteAmerica.com, log in, go to support, on left side click on register your machine then when you do that you can scroll down and see step 5 which is to get your shapes and step 6 is to claim your store subscription.

Hope this helps! if not, PM me and I will help some more. Congrats on your machine...I just upgraded to the Cameo 3 and gave my cousin my Portrait 1. He is having a blast making shirts!

Pam
Thanks, Pam. I replied to your PM. I have the code, but I don't know how to redeem it. I appreciate your help.
Old 12-30-2017, 03:57 PM   #1411
Hardware Hotshot

I figured it out, and now I have lots of new files to play with. Another question. I got the Portrait to cut out a stamped image, and it turned out pretty well. It was very slightly off, and one edge had a small white border. If I use the Offset function, will that take care of the problem? Thanks for the help!
Old 12-31-2017, 01:37 PM   #1412
Die Cut Diva

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapjanny View Post
I figured it out, and now I have lots of new files to play with. Another question. I got the Portrait to cut out a stamped image, and it turned out pretty well. It was very slightly off, and one edge had a small white border. If I use the Offset function, will that take care of the problem? Thanks for the help!
Question...how did you load the image? Did you jpeg, import and then bring into silhouette to print and cut with registration marks or did you stamp and then Pixscan it? I haven't used the Pixscan although I do have a mat. Offset will help if you want to leave a small white border all the way around the image, I use about a 0.03 to 0.05. It really is about being precise in loading the media and making sure the paper is straight on the cutting mat.

Pam
Old 01-01-2018, 06:37 AM   #1413
Hardware Hotshot

Hi Pam. I used the PixScan mat. I think the paper was straight, but I'll be really careful next time. And I'll try the Offset feature too. Thanks!
Old 02-26-2018, 05:08 AM   #1414
Insane Embellisher

Default Need to get back to my Cameo

Need help from you guys. I am trying to get back to my Cameo. Haven't used Cameo 2 in almost 2 years. I feel lost and overwhelmed.
I upgraded software and seemed to have lost all my designs😨. I have designer edition. WTH?!?
How should I start back?
I was so addicted to my first Cameo I bought in 2014. There wasn't one day I did not cut from it. Then it broke when rollers broke. Although less than 8 months old when I first reported this problem, it was only when it was 13 months old that I pushed the issue with Silhouette. They refused to fix, replace, or give me any options. The machine only had one year warranty. I was shocked and ready to skip back to Cricut🤤. However, I was blessed to have been given an updated version by Blitsy.com who read of my plight on facebook group when I posted a video of the problem and asked if anyone could help with a fix. What Angels were they!
My mom died after the first time the rollers became problematic as I was making what would become the last Mother's Day card I would give her. So, I think the grief of her loss soon became attached to using the Cameo. But now I am ready to get back in the saddle and ride that horse again. TIA for your suggestions. Seems I always first seek help from SCS in time of need.
Old 02-27-2018, 02:46 PM   #1415
Crimping Master

Does anyone get a clean cut with fun foam? Just regular stuff that you can get at Joann's/Michaels. I think it's 2mm but not sure. It never comes out clean and sometimes it leaves a cut mark when it moves from image to image.

(I have a Cameo 3 with the deep cut blade following setting that are suggested.)
Old 03-09-2018, 12:46 PM   #1416
Insane Embellisher

Default Anyone can help me??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savagetwin View Post
Need help from you guys. I am trying to get back to my Cameo. Haven't used Cameo 2 in almost 2 years. I feel lost and overwhelmed.
I upgraded software and seemed to have lost all my designs😨. I have designer edition. WTH?!?
How should I start back?
I was so addicted to my first Cameo I bought in 2014. There wasn't one day I did not cut from it. Then it broke when rollers broke. Although less than 8 months old when I first reported this problem, it was only when it was 13 months old that I pushed the issue with Silhouette. They refused to fix, replace, or give me any options. The machine only had one year warranty. I was shocked and ready to skip back to Cricut🤤. However, I was blessed to have been given an updated version by Blitsy.com who read of my plight on facebook group when I posted a video of the problem and asked if anyone could help with a fix. What Angels were they!
My mom died after the first time the rollers became problematic as I was making what would become the last Mother's Day card I would give her. So, I think the grief of her loss soon became attached to using the Cameo. But now I am ready to get back in the saddle and ride that horse again. TIA for your suggestions. Seems I always first seek help from SCS in time of need.
Can anyone offer some suggestions? TIA!
Old 03-12-2018, 04:05 AM   #1417
Embossing Fanatic

Try the Silhoutte School Blog. She maybe able to help you. If you did not backup your library you may be out of luck.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savagetwin View Post
Can anyone offer some suggestions? TIA!
Savagetwin likes this post.
Old 03-12-2018, 04:18 AM   #1418
Matboard Maniac

You should have the option to recover them in your account settings in the Silhoutte Studio.
Savagetwin likes this post.
Old 03-14-2018, 08:10 AM   #1419
Glitter Queen

Has anybody had trouble with the new silhouette premium blade not cutting. Do you adjust your settings. If so, by how much. I cannot get this to cut. Now I'm being told I need to adjust the blade settings. I already have it set at higher than the default. I don't see how these blades are any better. Any information would be appreciated.
Old 03-15-2018, 12:32 AM   #1420
Rubber Obsessor

What material are you trying to cut? Are you using the autoblade function that is available on the Cameo v3 or are you setting the depth in Silhouette Studio?
Old 03-15-2018, 03:42 AM   #1421
Glitter Queen

I am trying to cut with the premium blade not the autoblade. I have to set the blade on the blade and the thickness and speed in the software. I am trying to cut cardstock. I seem to have 2 issues. One is with the older blade that came with the Cameo (v1). I cannot get a clean cut like I used to at the same settings. I have had to adjust the settings. It is a new blade. Second issue is about the premium blade. I bought the new premium blade because it is supposed to last longer and cut more intricate designs easier. All it does for me is partially cut (more like between an emboss and a cut. It does not cut clear through the cardstock if I have it at the same settings that I do to cut with the original blades. You wouldn't even know it had cut on the backside of the cardstock. Silhouette is saying that since it is a different type of blade I need to use different cut settings. That doesn't make sense to me. I have not heard of that anywhere else. They also suggested updating the software but I can't because my computer won't handle version 4.
Old 03-17-2018, 02:24 AM   #1422
Rubber Obsessor

I find I have to set the blade to 1 setting higher than I used to, but my blade is old, not new like yours. I use test cut a lot. You might find some help in this link. (The cutting strip was new to me. ) http://caughtbydesign.com/2018/03/16...-isnt-cutting/I have had the screw on piece at the end of the blade needing to be tightened but that was when cutting non-silhouette shrink plastic, not ordinary cardstock.
Old 03-19-2018, 01:00 AM   #1423
Rubber Obsessor

It turns out someone had the same problem with their Brother Scan n Cut - ie that their new blade needed different setting to what worked before, and the conclusion over there is that the blades do vary a bit, the new one could be a tiny bit longer or shorter than the old one. Brother Scan and Cut Machine
Old 06-11-2018, 11:42 PM   #1424
Matboard Maniac

Is there any compelling reason for me to purchase the Silhouette Cameo 3, if I already have the Cameo 2?
Old 06-12-2018, 02:29 AM   #1425
Mad Swapper

That's what I wonder as well. I think it really depends on just what types of things you like to do. Do you really only make card-type things or do you want to do stuff with all the different materials that you can with a Cameo 3 and, for lack of better words, do you want to purchase all the different materials, etc.

And, for the most part, I have pretty much decided I will just stick with my Cameo 2.

Hope this helps.
Old 07-12-2018, 03:35 AM   #1426
Die Cut Diva

Hi ladies, I'm looking for advice/recommendations here. I have the original Silhouette machine- so you can guess how old it is! Lately, it's not cutting so well, and frankly it's also getting harder to get the spares- such as the cutting strip for this machine.

Now, I think it's more than paid for itself, and given me at least 10 years of service, so I reckon it's time to look for a new one. I'm leaning towards the Portrait 2 at the moment. I'm not a scrapbooker, so the 12" cutting mat on the Cameo doesn't really matter to me. Are there any other features of the Cameo that makes it a better purchase?
Also, will I be able to import all the designs I currently have in my Silhouette- some of my own, and others from all over the net- into a new machines software?
Thanks for your help ladies, it's much appreciated.
Old 07-16-2018, 06:19 AM   #1427
Embossing Fanatic

Default Buy a Cameo 3

Since tastes change over time, I always buy more than what I currently think I will use. You never know when a need for the 12 inch version will arise. I love the dual blades that the Cameo3 has. I can't answer the software question because I don't know what the original was using. But if it was design studio you should be ok. But backup you library/software just in case.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shazsilverwolf View Post
Hi ladies, I'm looking for advice/recommendations here. I have the original Silhouette machine- so you can guess how old it is! Lately, it's not cutting so well, and frankly it's also getting harder to get the spares- such as the cutting strip for this machine.

Now, I think it's more than paid for itself, and given me at least 10 years of service, so I reckon it's time to look for a new one. I'm leaning towards the Portrait 2 at the moment. I'm not a scrapbooker, so the 12" cutting mat on the Cameo doesn't really matter to me. Are there any other features of the Cameo that makes it a better purchase?
Also, will I be able to import all the designs I currently have in my Silhouette- some of my own, and others from all over the net- into a new machines software?
Thanks for your help ladies, it's much appreciated.
Old 07-17-2018, 04:28 AM   #1428
Rubber Obsessor

There is some info here, it says what features are in the Cameo 3 that are not in the portrait 2 : Silhouette America - FAQ - Silhouette model comparisons - Printer Friendly While I think the dual carriage is useful, you can change over manually from pen to blade if you dont eject the project in between.
tweedcurtain likes this post.
Old 08-16-2018, 05:28 PM   #1429
Pearl-ExPert

Question Library in Silhouette Portrait 2 Software

I just had to do an update for the programme. It did a full install and when I went in, all my files...well, I think, all my files...are now under show all designs...and nowhere else. I took ages to create folders and sort. I am sure I saved, as this was the second time around! What am I doing wrong?
Old 08-16-2018, 10:42 PM   #1430
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by shellpole View Post
I just had to do an update for the programme. It did a full install and when I went in, all my files...well, I think, all my files...are now under show all designs...and nowhere else. I took ages to create folders and sort. I am sure I saved, as this was the second time around! What am I doing wrong?
This might help you: Silhouette Studio Library: Local User Designs Disappeared...or Just Hiding - Silhouette School
Old 10-02-2018, 09:22 AM   #1431
Mad Swapper

Just FYI, Silhouette has a bunch of free designs as well as a couple free fonts and eBooks.

Just discovered this. It also looks like it might be limited to today only as they have their 50% off sale ending today as well.

When you go into the designs, set your filter to search from lowest price to highest price, and it will bring up any and all free items to the first page.
Old 11-29-2018, 03:39 AM   #1432
Die Cut Diva

Hi Ladies, well in the end I bought a Portrait2, as A4 is fine for my needs. I love the machine, but I'm getting a problem with not all my fonts installed on Windows not showing up in the Silhouette program. I upgraded from Basic to Designer, as I thought maybe that would help, but no. I contacted Silhouette help, and they did give me two options to try uninstalling and reinstalling, which I've done, but no change. The fonts are TT or OFT, so it's not the file type. They all show up in the Windows Font folder, also in Printers Apprentice, just not in the Silhouette. Has anyone else had this issue, or does anyone have any ideas? Thanks in advance.
Old 11-29-2018, 07:05 AM   #1433
Gallery Gazer

Quote:
Hi Ladies, well in the end I bought a Portrait2, as A4 is fine for my needs. I love the machine, but I'm getting a problem with not all my fonts installed on Windows not showing up in the Silhouette program. I upgraded from Basic to Designer, as I thought maybe that would help, but no. I contacted Silhouette help, and they did give me two options to try uninstalling and reinstalling, which I've done, but no change. The fonts are TT or OFT, so it's not the file type. They all show up in the Windows Font folder, also in Printers Apprentice, just not in the Silhouette. Has anyone else had this issue, or does anyone have any ideas? Thanks in advance.

What is TT or OFT? I don't recognize those two.

My blog: www.maryscraftroom.blogspot.com
Old 11-29-2018, 07:16 AM   #1434
Proud Fan Club Member

OFT fonts are an improved version of TT fonts. I know Corel has used OFT fonts for many years, and more graphic and word processing software programs are developing more OFT fonts all the time. Both TT and OFT fonts can be read by most software. Both TT and OFT fonts are installed the same.
A Cardmaking Journey in Progress
shazsilverwolf likes this post.
Old 11-29-2018, 08:46 AM   #1435
Die Cut Diva

Just realised I've a typo in my question, lol. Should be OTF, not OFT!( Open Type Font).
Annecards likes this post.
Old 11-29-2018, 04:22 PM   #1436
Proud Fan Club Member

Quote:
Just realised I've a typo in my question, lol. Should be OTF, not OFT!( Open Type Font).
I reversed my letters too after reading your post and not on purpose!
A Cardmaking Journey in Progress
Old 11-30-2018, 02:24 AM   #1437
Die Cut Diva

Lol, Anne, I'm a bad influence without even trying! We need a 'laugh' button on the site.
Annecards likes this post.
Old 11-30-2018, 05:52 AM   #1438
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:
They all show up in the Windows Font folder, also in Printers Apprentice, just not in the Silhouette. Has anyone else had this issue, or does anyone have any ideas? Thanks in advance.
You have probably tried this but completely shut down both the PC and machine. When you restart they should appear in Silhouette Studio.
shazsilverwolf likes this post.
Old 11-30-2018, 07:58 AM   #1439
Die Cut Diva

Thanks tweedcurtain, but yes, done that. Also uninstalled, reinstalled, no change. Then uninstalled, removed subfolders, reinstalled- info from Silhouette support- and still no different. I really don't understand it, I used to have an original Silhouette, with the original software, but never had this problem then.
Old 11-30-2018, 10:23 AM   #1440
Polyshrink Goddess

Shazsilverwolf, maybe this article will help you find your missing fonts:
3 Reasons Fonts Aren't In Silhouette Studio Font List - Silhouette School