Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 11-27-2014, 05:58 PM   #801
Proud Fan Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yooperstamper View Post
I'm somewhat new to the Silhouette. Right now I have my silhouette program loaded on a windows 8 laptop. I am purchasing an Apple MacBook Pro. I know I will need to reload the software onto it. Is there a way to transfer all my cuts onto my MacBook? Thanks
If you check in the menu, there's an option to export your library. Exported to a USB and reinstall in the program. Since you have a Mac, I'm not sure if that will make a difference. You can also, read download your purchase designs. Maybe someone who has a Mac can offer you answer.
A Cardmaking Journey in Progress
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 12-03-2014, 11:17 PM   #802
Hardware Hotshot

Default Curved lettering problem

I am creating round name tags with the name of the club curved at the top and bottom and the people's names in the center . I found a tutorial for creating curved letters .
I have 2 questions

1. Is there a way to get an exact 1.75" circle without needing to fiddle with the drag feature each time I make a name tag? There is a feature to resize an image to exact measurements but I can't find it for created shapes such as a circle

2.I tried saving the first tag I made with only the club name on it, but not the person's name however, I was unable to go back to put the person's name in after I saved it . How can I save it so I have a template and can just insert the names . It is a tedious job to remake each tag from scratch with the curved lettering
Hope this makes sense
Barbara
Old 12-04-2014, 01:53 AM   #803
Proud Fan Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara Jay View Post
I am creating round name tags with the name of the club curved at the top and bottom and the people's names in the center . I found a tutorial for creating curved letters .
I have 2 questions

1. Is there a way to get an exact 1.75" circle without needing to fiddle with the drag feature each time I make a name tag? There is a feature to resize an image to exact measurements but I can't find it for created shapes such as a circle

2.I tried saving the first tag I made with only the club name on it, but not the person's name however, I was unable to go back to put the person's name in after I saved it . How can I save it so I have a template and can just insert the names . It is a tedious job to remake each tag from scratch with the curved lettering
Hope this makes sense
Barbara
Save your template with the name or text in your circle. You'll be editing the name. You have to put the name in your template, not add it later. Select your text tool and click in the text, highlight, and type the new name. This worked for me in the past, but I've not made round labels with text in awhile.
ladyofcards and jackie436 like this post.
Old 12-12-2014, 01:29 PM   #804
Crimping Master

Default thanks!

I am so glad this forum exists! I just got the portrait on BFsale week and finally have a minute to figure it out. You all have so much good input. Wish me luck!

weeeeeeeee......
Savagetwin, tweedcurtain and Annecards like this post.
Old 12-26-2014, 03:40 PM   #805
Die Cut Diva

Is there a tutorial that shows how to delete parts of what is in the cut file? I'm a visual learner. thanks in advance
Old 12-26-2014, 06:40 PM   #806
Matboard Maniac

Use the eraser tool one each end of what you want to delete. Then can then use the select arrow on it and delete the line.
Old 12-27-2014, 02:07 PM   #807
Insane Embellisher

Here is a youtube that I found interest: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uOPa...rUkoQMK4iT4x19

This woman also has an amazing series on tracing without tears. I found her thru this thread. Happy Holidays to my amazing "cutting" friends.
Old 12-29-2014, 03:37 AM   #808
Mad Swapper

I'm so glad I found this Silhouette thread! I have yet to read through everything but I plan to over the next few days.....

Anyhow, someone mentioned that I would need a cutting machine like a Silhouette to cut svg files (which I know nothing about) Ok fine. I have heard about the Silhouette before but never really paid much attention to it or even researched it at all because I already own a Cricut with about 30+ cartridges and thought that was sufficient.

Well, now I'm debating whether or not I should sell all of my Cricut stuff and buy the Silhouette. I'm slowly watching youtube videos on it and it looks interesting. If I got the Silhouette, is there a reason to KEEP the Cricut or will the Silhouette replace what the Cricut does? And if I got the Silhouette, would I still be able to get the same images as what my Cricut carts have? More? Less? Now, if I sell the Cricut + carts, should I sell as a bundle or individually? I would probably start off

How about telling me the pros/cons of getting the Silhouette. And if there's more than one version of it, which is the best to get and why? And would you keep your Cricut or would replacing it with the Silhouette be the way to go? I don't have the extra money right now to just go out and get the Silhouette, so if I wanted it relatively soon, I would have to sell my Cricut stuff. Where would be the best place to get the Silhouette? Do I need anything else with it (like the Cricut with the cartridges, sticky mat, tools, etc)?

Splitcoast Member #5361 HEY LOOK WHAT I CAN DO!!! :D
Old 12-29-2014, 04:56 AM   #809
Die Cut Diva

I've never owned a Cricut, so can't add anything to that side of things. Regarding the Silhouette, I've had mine since they first came out, which must be about 10/12 years now, and its still going strong, so that speaks for reliability.
There are a few versions, but the main choice is in size- the 'regular' Silhouette, which cuts up to A4, which mine does, or the Cameo, which takes up to 12" wide cardstock/paper. I believe it will also cut slightly thicker materials than the regular size, but I may be wrong there.
Biggest advantage of a Silhouette, whichever model you go for is the sizing of the files you cut out. You can re-size any file to the exact size you need for your project- not just use a die cut for 'as close as you can get'! Also, it will cut any font on your pc, in any size, including 'dingbat' fonts. So no more buying Alpha numeric carts/die sets.
There is a whole host of files available to purchase on the Silhouette store site, and a Pinterest search will yield you many, many sites where file can be downloaded for personal use for free.
As far as I know, it comes with all you need to get started straight out of the box, and rather than replacing mats when they loose their stickiness, you will find many tips on here for re-sticking it.
Blades can be expensive, but there are many 'unbranded' versions now on E-bay, and I can say that I have been using them for most of the time I've had my machine, and found no difference between them and the 'official' blades.
Also have to say if you get any problems, Silhouette Customer Service is second to none- fast, friendly and very helpful.
maslex and jukie like this post.
Old 12-29-2014, 07:56 AM   #810
Matboard Maniac

This is for Maslax. Read thru the Silhouette thread. Most all of your questions are answered. I never got a Cricut because you had to buy Expensive cartridges. For the price of a cartridge you can get 30 or so designs of your choice of all kinds of themes. Get a Silhouette it is the best thing I ever got for paper crafting.
I just saw this great deal on Under a Cherry Tree. Hope it works! Best I have seen!
Here's a great deal on the New Cameo. JC Penney has it listed on their site for $289.99 but if you use the coupon AFTERALL (for 25% off), the price comes down to just over $217! That's a great price for the cutter. Shipping is free for this item.

If you shop through Ebates, you will also get a 3% cash back from your JC Penney purchase. Don't have Ebates? Click HEREto sign up.
Old 12-29-2014, 08:32 PM   #811
Insane Embellisher

Maslex: Read my post #769 in this thread. I have both cricut and cameo. I would opt for cameo vs portrait because it is longer and will take larger designs such as boxes, bags, etc. The silhouette is the "it" machine now and very popular. The Cricut lost ground some years ago because of the infamous lawsuit against 3rd party software that offered crafters the opportunity to create and cut their own files. Cricut had loyal customers who felt betrayed and who would not give up these software programs (Sure Cuts A Lot and Make The Cut).
Anyway, I love my Cameo and am a newbie!
Old 12-30-2014, 01:45 AM   #812
Mad Swapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savagetwin View Post
Maslex: Read my post #769 in this thread. I have both cricut and cameo. I would opt for cameo vs portrait because it is longer and will take larger designs such as boxes, bags, etc. The silhouette is the "it" machine now and very popular. The Cricut lost ground some years ago because of the infamous lawsuit against 3rd party software that offered crafters the opportunity to create and cut their own files. Cricut had loyal customers who felt betrayed and who would not give up these software programs (Sure Cuts A Lot and Make The Cut).
Anyway, I love my Cameo and am a newbie!
Thanks so much. I'm leaning towards selling all of my Cricut stuff. As I mentioned earlier, I got a bit sad thinking that I wouldn't have all of my Cricut stuff anymore but the more I thought about, I realized that I haven't used it in probably a year. And the $$$ that I made off of it would hopefully buy the Silhouette. Because I just can't afford it right now otherwise. I think one of the things I like most about the Sihouette (from what I've been reading) is making titles for my scrapbook pages/cards.

My other question is what is everyone's favorite places to find cutting files? One that I've come across (and what got me started on this quest of possibly getting the Silhouette, is Little Scraps of Heaven. Has anyone come up with a list of their favorites? Sorry if someone has posted it already but I'm only on page 13 of this long thread!!! Only 8 more pages to go.

Old 12-30-2014, 02:39 AM   #813
Swap Moderator
Splitcoast Gallery Moderator
Swapper of the Month - November 2013

Subbing... this seems to be the place to be for Cameo tips. I, too, have the Cameo and love it.
Old 12-30-2014, 03:54 AM   #814
Mad Swapper

Nevermind.

Last edited by maslex; 12-30-2014 at 03:58 AM..
Old 12-30-2014, 09:32 AM   #815
Die Cut Diva

thank you for your responses Rosetta and Lady of Cards, unfortunately I had a fight with a brick mailbox and lost, so I'm on the injured team for a while. (I'm okay, just 13 stitches above my left eye and a banged up knee, but not a fun way to spend Christmas Day)

I'll check that out once I'm back to normal....
Old 12-30-2014, 10:22 AM   #816
Die Cut Diva

Maslex,I've never owned a Cricuit, but I love my Cameo.
Here's what I love compared to what I know about a cricuit:

You don't have to mess with cartridges
you can organize your cuts anyway you like in your own library
you can buy just one cut for ususally .99 and you don't have to leave your house to get it. So if it's 2 am and I decide I want a new file, i can do it easily. I can choose to subscribe and get files for about 1/3 of that.
I can draw with it easily

I hope that helps.
Old 12-30-2014, 04:34 PM   #817
Proud Fan Club Member

Default Can anyone add more reasons you love your Cameo?

Why I Love my Cameo

The best print n cut on the market.

I can cut poster board or light cardboard, glue a couple of layers together, so no need to cut chipboard.

I can design in Silhouette Studio, Coral Draw, or AI. (I design and cut directly from Corel Draw. and can save to most vector and graphic formats). I think Silhouette Studio is fabulous, and gives one functions found in high end programs. I've just been a Corel user since 1989 or '90

I don't have to buy cartridges or be tied to the Internet.

It cuts even fine detail beautifully.

I'm not tied to the Silhouette brand mat, so I can use another brand in a pinch.

I'm not even tied to their blades. I have a holder that works with my 45 & 60 degree blades.

I have extra adapters that lets me use all my pens and most of my markers including Copics.

My Cameo is dependable, was reasonably priced, came with free editing software, and the option to purchase reasonably priced software upgrades.
Old 12-30-2014, 08:02 PM   #818
Insane Embellisher

Heart

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplewinkle View Post
thank you for your responses Rosetta and Lady of Cards, unfortunately I had a fight with a brick mailbox and lost, so I'm on the injured team for a while. (I'm okay, just 13 stitches above my left eye and a banged up knee, but not a fun way to spend Christmas Day)

I'll check that out once I'm back to normal....
Purplewinkle OMG! Sorry about your fight with the mailbox. Hope you heal well.
purplewinkle likes this post.
Old 12-30-2014, 08:23 PM   #819
Insane Embellisher

I must say this about getting rid of your Cricut. I kept my Cricut because it cuts materials that the Cameo cannot. I made a bunch of boxes a couple of years ago using my baby cricut and some chipboard that the cameo cannot cut. So, I would not sell mine. However, I do have SCAL 2 software and never use the cartilages I do have.

As far as sites for SVG files, I love svgcuts.com and Birds Cards.
Old 12-31-2014, 04:35 AM   #820
Mad Swapper

Quote:
I must say this about getting rid of your Cricut. I kept my Cricut because it cuts materials that the Cameo cannot. I made a bunch of boxes a couple of years ago using my baby cricut and some chipboard that the cameo cannot cut. So, I would not sell mine. However, I do have SCAL 2 software and never use the cartilages I do have.

As far as sites for SVG files, I love svgcuts.com and Birds Cards.
Well, I can say that I am NOT one to cut anything else besides paper and cardstock. I have only used my Cricut for scrapbooking and the occasional poster board project for my boys over the years. I'm not one to make boxes or use chipboard or vinyl or anything else of that nature. Simply just paper and cardstock.

Now, as for selling my stuff, I'd like to sell it all in one shot, as a bundle. One Cricut Expression, 3 mats, one scraper and 30 cartridges. That way I can order the Silhouette as soon as it sells instead of waiting for each thing to sell on it's own. I'd like to first try using our local yard sale site on facebook. I guess if that doesn't work, then I'll try on here or something. Can someone give me a rough estimate on how much I should ask? Should I do like a flat $5-$10 per cart or go through them and see if any are more "valuable". Here's a list of the ones I have if that helps out:

Accent Essentials
All Mixed Up
Alphalicious
Animal Kingdom
Camp Out
Christmas Cheer
Cuttin Up
Doodlecharms
Doodletype
George & Basic Shapes
Going Places
Indie Art
Jubilee
Life's a Beach
Makin the Grade
Mickey & Friends
Mickey Font
My Community
Opposites Attract
Paper Doll Dress Up
Plantin Schoolbook
Pooh & Friends
Pooh Font
Simply Sweet
Stamped
Storybook
Stretch Your Imagination
Tags, Bags, Boxes & More
Walk in My Garden
Winter Wonderland

Old 12-31-2014, 11:20 AM   #821
Insane Embellisher

Sorry if I duplicated these questions, I started looking through all the posts, but need to get back to work (lunch break is over).

When I used my Silhouette mat for the first time, I used cheap Georgia Pacific paper and it made a mess on the mat. Tons of lint and crap. I also used my Cricut spatula and that seemed to make a mess too. So:

first question: Is it best to use the Silhouette spatula on the Silhouette mat, versus the Cricut one? My Cricut spatula was clean, so I know that wasn't the problem.

second question: I know with my Cricut mat, I can use a baby wipe to clean it off and after the mat dries, it is sticky again. Can I do that with the Silhouette mat also?

Thanks.

Trish
Old 12-31-2014, 11:47 AM   #822
Matboard Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by mouseprints View Post
Sorry if I duplicated these questions, I started looking through all the posts, but need to get back to work (lunch break is over).

When I used my Silhouette mat for the first time, I used cheap Georgia Pacific paper and it made a mess on the mat. Tons of lint and crap. I also used my Cricut spatula and that seemed to make a mess too. So:

first question: Is it best to use the Silhouette spatula on the Silhouette mat, versus the Cricut one? My Cricut spatula was clean, so I know that wasn't the problem.

second question: I know with my Cricut mat, I can use a baby wipe to clean it off and after the mat dries, it is sticky again. Can I do that with the Silhouette mat also?

Thanks.

Trish
I bought a Cricut spatula after being frustrated with the Sil one. Love it. Yes use a baby wipe or you want use warm water and a little dawn to clean off mat. Before using a new mat I use a clean shirt to lay upon the mat to get a little stickiness off it. The other thing I have found good for lighter cheaper paper is the mat from Sil that is lighter stickiness. I use it for many light weight papers.
mouseprints likes this post.
Old 12-31-2014, 02:04 PM   #823
Kookie Creator

Default New Silhouette Owner?

If santa brought you a new machine this Christmas, I encourage you to read this blog post for newbies at the Cleversomeday blog. This will save you a lot of frustration!
Savagetwin and Annecards like this post.
Old 01-01-2015, 04:01 AM   #824
Mad Swapper

So I'm checking out the prices on the Silhouette. I went online to Michael's and they have one for $179.00 and it comes with:
  • Cutting machine
  • Power cable
  • USB cable
  • Adjustable blade
  • Cutting mat
  • 50+ exclusive designs
  • $10 Silhouette Online Store download card
  • Silhouette StudioŽ software, instructional DVD and basic instruction guide
Then they have one the "NEW" Silhouette Cameo for $269.99 but it's not saying what I comes with because it's "out of stock".

Can someone tell me what the big difference is between these two machines to have a $90 price difference? And is it worth waiting for the "new" one to come back in stock?

Old 01-01-2015, 05:08 AM   #825
Proud Fan Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maslex View Post
So I'm checking out the prices on the Silhouette. I went online to Michael's and they have one for $179.00 and it comes with:
  • Cutting machine
  • Power cable
  • USB cable
  • Adjustable blade
  • Cutting mat
  • 50+ exclusive designs
  • $10 Silhouette Online Store download card
  • Silhouette StudioŽ software, instructional DVD and basic instruction guide
Then they have one the "NEW" Silhouette Cameo for $269.99 but it's not saying what I comes with because it's "out of stock".

Can someone tell me what the big difference is between these two machines to have a $90 price difference? And is it worth waiting for the "new" one to come back in stock?
You'll be happy with it. It's the original, stores are phasing them out and making room for the Cameo 2. Other than the touch screen on the 2, I don't see any difference in output, I have both.
artandartifacts likes this post.
Old 01-01-2015, 12:30 PM   #826
Insane Embellisher

I just upgraded to Designer Edition, and now I can't cut at all. Help.

Anyone live close to Rochester, MN who can help me in person?

Trish
Old 01-02-2015, 08:25 PM   #827
Insane Embellisher

Quote:
I just upgraded to Designer Edition, and now I can't cut at all. Help.

Anyone live close to Rochester, MN who can help me in person?

Trish
Trish: I live far away. But, can you walk us thru what you did and describe as much as you can? Perhaps you can get some help here.
Old 01-03-2015, 03:25 AM   #828
Mad Swapper

Well, after asking many questions and reading many of the posts on this thread, I have decided to keep my Cricut and all of my carts and just save up to buy a Silouette Cameo. There was a split between people who kept all of their Cricut stuff and then bought a Cameo and then people who got rid of all of their Cricut to buy the Cameo.

I went as far as taking photos of all of my Cricut stuff and posting in on our local online yard sale on Facebook. Kept it there a few days with nobody's interest and then decided to take it down. I just can't get rid of it yet. So I'm gonna save up for the Cameo and once I start using it, if I find I don't use the Cricut as much, then I'll look into selling it all. Right now, I'm off to finish reading this entire thread (it's huge)!!!

Thanks to those you gave me some input!!!

Old 01-03-2015, 10:52 AM   #829
Insane Embellisher

Quote:
Trish: I live far away. But, can you walk us thru what you did and describe as much as you can? Perhaps you can get some help here.
Okay. Here it goes.

On December 19th I received my brand new Cameo 2 in the mail. Set it up and was able to cut a few things using the basic software that came with it.

After that I ordered the upgrade to the Designer Edition software. Received it in the mail after Christmas. On January 1st, I installed the Designer Edition software to my laptop and when I tried to cut an image nothing would happen. I noticed that when I clicked on the Cut Settings button, the image on the screen looked "grayed" out. I was not able to click on other options. Like when I clicked on "cut edge", nothing changed, everything looked grayed out.

It was this way for a Silhouette image as well as a SVG file that I bought elsewhere. I shut down the laptop and restarted, hoping that would fix the problem. I turned the Cameo off and on several times too, hoping that would help. Nothing.

So, now the Silhouette just sits here all sad and lonely.

Thoughts?

Thanks.

Trish
Old 01-03-2015, 03:50 PM   #830
Insane Embellisher

Default OMG!

Trish, I don't have a Cameo 2. There might just be a glitch with the new Cameo interfacing with the Designer Ed. I would email and call (leave a message) Silhouette NOW. They will most likely respond to you on Monday. Also go on their Facebook page and post your dilemma. Maybe others there can help.

Since you were able to cut with the basic software, perhaps there is a problem with the DE. Did you uninstall and reinstall?

OOO! I feel your disappointment . But I know there is a solvable answer . Keep us informed.

Last edited by Savagetwin; 01-03-2015 at 03:54 PM.. Reason: Add info
Old 01-03-2015, 04:01 PM   #831
Insane Embellisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by maslex View Post
Well, after asking many questions and reading many of the posts on this thread, I have decided to keep my Cricut and all of my carts and just save up to buy a Silouette Cameo. There was a split between people who kept all of their Cricut stuff and then bought a Cameo and then people who got rid of all of their Cricut to buy the Cameo.

I went as far as taking photos of all of my Cricut stuff and posting in on our local online yard sale on Facebook. Kept it there a few days with nobody's interest and then decided to take it down. I just can't get rid of it yet. So I'm gonna save up for the Cameo and once I start using it, if I find I don't use the Cricut as much, then I'll look into selling it all. Right now, I'm off to finish reading this entire thread (it's huge)!!!

Thanks to those you gave me some input!!!
I think you should sell off the cartridges you rarely use. Go on ebay! I think you can get enough $ to really increase your Cameo fund and buy that machine before you know it. I'm going to sell my baby Cricut as I also have an Expression that takes SCAL 2.
Old 01-03-2015, 06:15 PM   #832
Proud Fan Club Member

Quote:
Okay. Here it goes.

On December 19th I received my brand new Cameo 2 in the mail. Set it up and was able to cut a few things using the basic software that came with it.

After that I ordered the upgrade to the Designer Edition software. Received it in the mail after Christmas. On January 1st, I installed the Designer Edition software to my laptop and when I tried to cut an image nothing would happen. I noticed that when I clicked on the Cut Settings button, the image on the screen looked "grayed" out. I was not able to click on other options. Like when I clicked on "cut edge", nothing changed, everything looked grayed out.

It was this way for a Silhouette image as well as a SVG file that I bought elsewhere. I shut down the laptop and restarted, hoping that would fix the problem. I turned the Cameo off and on several times too, hoping that would help. Nothing.

So, now the Silhouette just sits here all sad and lonely.

Thoughts?

Thanks.

Trish
Try removing the software completely. Download the free version and install.
Open the free Silhouette StudioŽ software program
1. Go to the Help menu
2. Select Upgrade Silhouette Studio
3. Enter the following:
a. Designer Edition license key
b. Silhouette account email address
c. Silhouette account password
d: Click on the "Submit" button
The license key will then be applied and the software will be upgraded immediately.
jukie likes this post.
Old 01-04-2015, 05:30 PM   #833
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:
I think you should sell off the cartridges you rarely use. Go on ebay! I think you can get enough $ to really increase your Cameo fund and buy that machine before you know it. I'm going to sell my baby Cricut as I also have an Expression that takes SCAL 2.
If you do decide to sell it, please let me know. I might be interested in it as a back-up, and I live in the Bronx too! I could pick it up and save on shipping.
Old 01-14-2015, 01:26 PM   #834
Insane Embellisher

Hello Ladies! I'm hoping one of you can help me with the Portrait I got for Christmas. I need to make cupcake toppers for my daughter's birthday and I'm having issues. I found a couple videos on how to make them and somehow it is not working for me. When I go to offset the image it does not outline the penguin, it makes a rectangle around it. I'm using clipart that I purchased, I have both the JPEG and PNG files. Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong??
Old 01-14-2015, 01:35 PM   #835
Compulsive Stamper

You'll need to trace the clipart to get rid of the white box around it.
Old 01-14-2015, 02:11 PM   #836
Insane Embellisher

I've tried that, I was also using the PNG file which does not have the white box... In the videos I watched, they did not trace the image first... It's almost like there's some weird setting in my design studio that is telling it NOT to offset anything but straight lines. LOL I really don't know what I've done, because I have used the offset feature before, but today it is not working.
Old 01-14-2015, 04:49 PM   #837
Matboard Maniac

The image may have white background around it. It will take me awhile to find direction of how to remove it. It takes Photoshop or PShop Elements. I will be back.
Old 01-14-2015, 05:18 PM   #838
Matboard Maniac

Ok I found it by doing a search. Here is link for how to do it with Phpotoshop elements.
http://youtu.be/n0LEizBiClo
Old 01-14-2015, 08:42 PM   #839
Kookie Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyofcards View Post
Ok I found it by doing a search. Here is link for how to do it with Phpotoshop elements.
http://youtu.be/n0LEizBiClo
Amanda, if you do not have Photoshop Elements you can do it with the free software called GIMP. And you can google "GIMP remove background" and all sorts of videos and tutorials will come up to show you how. Very easy. It is what I use to do this in order to create cut files for graphics.
ladyofcards likes this post.
Old 01-14-2015, 09:10 PM   #840
Proud Fan Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by meeyore151 View Post
I've tried that, I was also using the PNG file which does not have the white box... In the videos I watched, they did not trace the image first... It's almost like there's some weird setting in my design studio that is telling it NOT to offset anything but straight lines. LOL I really don't know what I've done, because I have used the offset feature before, but today it is not working.
Hi Amanda,
I'm not sure which video you watched. Maybe the maker of the video edited and accidentally cut the trace part. When a "png" is saved there is always a box around it, even if it's transparent. A "png" is a "raster file" and must be traced. The image must be traced to convert it to a "vector file". After you trace the image move the "png" imported file off the map, leaving only your traced image. Select the traced image, then release compound path and ungroup. Select just outside the image, you will then be able to delete the box. Hope this helps.
ladyofcards and jackie436 like this post.