Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 07-08-2018, 12:14 PM   #1
Watercolor Wizard

Default Seeking advice - which new SU colors to get?

Hi!
I have been dithering on my decision about which of the new SU colors I want to buy first (specifically ink pads because they can be purchased individually and the markers can not). There are SO many new colors that I am overwhelmed! I thought about buying the bundle, but for a $108 plus shipping and handling, I decided to approach it by baby steps.

Please give me your suggestions for 5 to 7 of your favorites out of the new colors being offered (also included any In-colors, if they are in your list of favs).

Thanks in advance for your help with this. Iím looking forward to knowing what colors you have really enjoyed after having used them on a project.
shirlb19 likes this post.
Old 07-08-2018, 12:52 PM   #2
Stampin' Fool

I purchased the new In-colors when the pre order was offered. Haven't purchased In-Colors in a couple years but really like this years collection.

Also have since purchased the Mango Melody, Granny Apply Green, Shaded Spruce, Highland Heather, Gorgeous Grape and Poppy Parade. I will be ordering Soft Sea Foam down the road.

I have tried all these colors and really like them. If someone said I had to give one back it would be the Lovely Lipstick. Granny Apple green and Shaded Spruce are must haves followed by the lavenders/purples. Poppy Parade was a replacement of an old one I had about worn out.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
pepperann likes this post.
Old 07-08-2018, 01:32 PM   #3
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazysuziestamper View Post
I purchased the new In-colors when the pre order was offered. Haven't purchased In-Colors in a couple years but really like this years collection.

Also have since purchased the Mango Melody, Granny Apply Green, Shaded Spruce, Highland Heather, Gorgeous Grape and Poppy Parade. I will be ordering Soft Sea Foam down the road.

I have tried all these colors and really like them. If someone said I had to give one back it would be the Lovely Lipstick. Granny Apple green and Shaded Spruce are must haves followed by the lavenders/purples. Poppy Parade was a replacement of an old one I had about worn out.
Thanks for weighing in with your choices, and for mentioning the one you would give up, given the need. I will add your picks to the wishlist and compare them to ones I was dithering on whether to buy.
pepperann likes this post.
Old 07-08-2018, 01:59 PM   #4
Polyshrink Goddess

I would get Lovely Lipstick and Blueberry Bushel. I really wanted to like Grapefruit Grove but it’s too orange. I’m not a fan of any of the purples, and the new yellow is NEON.
Old 07-08-2018, 03:08 PM   #5
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paula O. View Post
I would get Lovely Lipstick and Blueberry Bushel. I really wanted to like Grapefruit Grove but itís too orange. Iím not a fan of any of the purples, and the new yellow is NEON.

Ok, Pineapple Punch and Grapefruit Grove are now in the wait-til-later category. Like you, Iím not a fan of purples (though I will get the new purple combo pack in Blends because I donít have ANY purples in alcohol markers.)

Since you are liking the Lovely Lipstick and the Blueberry Bushel, I have a couple of questions specifically about them.
I read somewhere that Lipstick Red is a tad darker than Melon Mambo - do you agree with that? I love Melon Mambo and having a darker coordinating color would be wonderful.
I also read that Blueberry Bushel is similar to the very old SU color, Brilliant Blue (which I happen to still have). Do you agree (assuming you even know Brilliant Blue existed! ) ?

Thanks for sharing your likes/dislikes on the new colors?
Old 07-08-2018, 04:19 PM   #6
Polyshrink Goddess

Lipstick is red, almost like Real Red, but softer. I don’t think it is close to Melon Mambo at all. BB is close to Brilliant Blue, so if you have Brilliant Blue, I’d skip the Blueberry.
Old 07-08-2018, 04:45 PM   #7
Proud Fan Club Member

Soft Sea Foam is one of my favorites. Looking at it by itself it looks "okay". Put it with a bunch of our other colors and I love it. I'm surprised by how many other colors it looks great with. Poppy Parade has always been one of my favorites. Granny Apple Green is another one of my top choices, and that's not one I even thought about getting at first. I figured I had plenty of green shades already. I bought it because it's one of the colors in the Tropical Escape DSP. Now it's one of my favorites. I bought Shaded Spruce because it is in three of the DSP's I bought and love.

So, in answer to your question, my picks are Soft Sea Foam, Poppy Parade, Granny Apple Green and Shaded Spruce.

PS: I agree with Paula about the Lipstick and Blueberry.
fl_beachbum and PikkuLilla like this post.
Old 07-08-2018, 05:34 PM   #8
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paula O. View Post
Lipstick is red, almost like Real Red, but softer. I donít think it is close to Melon Mambo at all. BB is close to Brilliant Blue, so if you have Brilliant Blue, Iíd skip the Blueberry.

Thanks for sharing your observation about Lipstick being more like Real Red than Melon Mambo. Glad to hear that Blueberry is close to Brilliant Blue, knowing that, I wonít feel a burning need to add it to my collection!
Old 07-08-2018, 05:48 PM   #9
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by grateful2bsaved View Post
Soft Sea Foam is one of my favorites. Looking at it by itself it looks "okay". Put it with a bunch of our other colors and I love it. I'm surprised by how many other colors it looks great with. Poppy Parade has always been one of my favorites. Granny Apple Green is another one of my top choices, and that's not one I even thought about getting at first. I figured I had plenty of green shades already. I bought it because it's one of the colors in the Tropical Escape DSP. Now it's one of my favorites. I bought Shaded Spruce because it is in three of the DSP's I bought and love.

So, in answer to your question, my picks are Soft Sea Foam, Poppy Parade, Granny Apple Green and Shaded Spruce.

PS: I agree with Paula about the Lipstick and Blueberry.
After reading your thoughts on SeaFoam green, Iím putting it on my get-first list. I thought Granny Apple green looked like a fun color, so itís nice to hear you liked it when you werenít expecting to. As for Spruce, I figured it would be a fresh new green to use on pines for upcoming winter cards.

Already have Poppy Parade, so that saves me needing to order it.

Thanks also for confirming what Paula said about Lipstick & Blueberry, that helps with my decisions!
pepperann and grateful2bsaved like this post.
Old 07-09-2018, 03:19 AM   #10
Gallery Gazer

Say yes to Grapefruit Grove, Lovely Lipstick, Mango Melody, Soft Seafoam, and Gorgeous Grape (if you like purple).
If you don't already have Flirty Flamingo, Mossy Meadow, Tranquil Tide and Mint Macaron get those, too.
Just say no to Call Me Clover, Blueberry Bushel, Coastal Cabana, Granite Gray and Shaded Spruce.
I love colors and feel very strongly that some of the new colors and some of the old colors brought back don't quite hit the mark. The retirement of some really tired colors was a good start but some more need to go, IMO.
Mary Beth
Old 07-09-2018, 06:54 AM   #11
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by lutheran View Post
Say yes to Grapefruit Grove, Lovely Lipstick, Mango Melody, Soft Seafoam, and Gorgeous Grape (if you like purple).
If you don't already have Flirty Flamingo, Mossy Meadow, Tranquil Tide and Mint Macaron get those, too.
Just say no to Call Me Clover, Blueberry Bushel, Coastal Cabana, Granite Gray and Shaded Spruce.
I love colors and feel very strongly that some of the new colors and some of the old colors brought back don't quite hit the mark. The retirement of some really tired colors was a good start but some more need to go, IMO.
Mary Beth

Ok, after reading your suggestions, grapefruit and lipstick are back on the to-be-considered list. I already have the older colors, with the exception of Mint Macaroon....I never got that one because I still have the OLD mint color that SU had for years and years and I figured it was a close match for the new one.

You say no to Call me Clover and Shaded Spruce. Any particular reason? I was questioning whether to get Clover because I have the Distress ink in that color and it looks like a close match. My original hesitation with Spruce is that it has a blue tone that likely wouldnít lend itself to using with other greens I have. Sort of reminds me of the old SU Forest green (?) which I rarely used.
Your comments on why you didnít care for these 2 greens would be appreciated!

Thanks for all your suggestions, they are helpful!
Old 07-09-2018, 07:13 AM   #12
Gallery Gazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss View Post
Ok, after reading your suggestions, grapefruit and lipstick are back on the to-be-considered list. I already have the older colors, with the exception of Mint Macaroon....I never got that one because I still have the OLD mint color that SU had for years and years and I figured it was a close match for the new one.

You say no to Call me Clover and Shaded Spruce. Any particular reason? I was questioning whether to get Clover because I have the Distress ink in that color and it looks like a close match. My original hesitation with Spruce is that it has a blue tone that likely wouldnít lend itself to using with other greens I have. Sort of reminds me of the old SU Forest green (?) which I rarely used.
Your comments on why you didnít care for these 2 greens would be appreciated!

Thanks for all your suggestions, they are helpful!
The current collection is very green heavy, I count 10 which is a bit overboard. Spruce is a good color but how many greens does one need? For a new stamper I would say get Clover, very basic green, like a crayon green, but I use the more interesting shades way more often.
Mary Beth
Old 07-09-2018, 07:17 AM   #13
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by lutheran View Post
The current collection is very green heavy, I count 10 which is a bit overboard. Spruce is a good color but how many greens does one need? For a new stamper I would say get Clover, very basic green, like a crayon green, but I use the more interesting shades way more often.
Mary Beth

Thanks for clarifying your comments on the greens. As someone who can never have too many greens to choose from, I may add those 2 back onto my to-be-considered list!

Last edited by Boss; 07-09-2018 at 07:18 AM.. Reason: Auto correct is not my friend...
Old 07-09-2018, 09:53 AM   #14
Kookie Creator

I have already gotten the Seafoam, both ink pad and paper. It's a great color. I make lots of leaves to go with my flowers and this is the perfect color to start with.
PikkuLilla likes this post.
Old 07-09-2018, 10:29 AM   #15
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kate Stamps View Post
I have already gotten the Seafoam, both ink pad and paper. It's a great color. I make lots of leaves to go with my flowers and this is the perfect color to start with.

Thanks for sharing how you have used Seafoam. I do lots of foliage and constantly search for variety of tones/hues to use - lighter tones are especially hard to find. Seafoam is on the get-first list, for sure!
grateful2bsaved and PikkuLilla like this post.
Old 07-09-2018, 03:42 PM   #16
Proud Fan Club Member

Thanks for posting your question, Susy. Very interesting thread as I do not have any of the new colors yet.

Shirl
bzzzeee likes this post.
Old 07-12-2018, 05:50 PM   #17
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

I absolutely LOVE

Soft Seafoam
Gorgeous Grape and
Highland Heather
Granny Apple Green (a fun bright shade)

Mango Melody is also very nice, a rich yellow color and is on it's way to me right now. I also ordered Shaded Spruce. I like it better than Garden Green and it will be really nice for Christmas. I do think there is a bit of blue in it but not as much as the old forest green.
grateful2bsaved, shirlb19 and PikkuLilla like this post.
Old 07-12-2018, 07:41 PM   #18
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by beaddict View Post
I absolutely LOVE

Soft Seafoam
Gorgeous Grape and
Highland Heather
Granny Apple Green (a fun bright shade)

Mango Melody is also very nice, a rich yellow color and is on it's way to me right now. I also ordered Shaded Spruce. I like it better than Garden Green and it will be really nice for Christmas. I do think there is a bit of blue in it but not as much as the old forest green.

Thank you for your comment about Spruce Green being distinctly different from the old Forest Green. I got my old Forest pad out and reinked it and stamped some samples...didnít love it, so I will go ahead and put Spruce back on the buy-first list. If you like it better than Garden Green, that also is a plus. (Back oh so many years ago, Garden Green was one of my favorite greens to use! Maybe Spruce will become a new favorite.)

Granny Apple green and soft seafoam are still on my list. The two purples will likely be on the 2nd order.
Again, many thanks for sharing your favorite colors out of the new batch of colors!
Old 07-14-2018, 01:34 PM   #19
Mad Swapper

There's a pack of 2 sheets of each of the the new colours except the in-colours on p182 of the catalogue. I ordered that and then decided which ones I liked enough to order more (Petal Pink, Granny Apple Green and Shaded Spruce - so far). I like most of them, but my unexpected favourite was Petal Pink. Initially I thought oh no, not yet another pink from SU, but it's a very pretty colour in real life.
Old 07-14-2018, 03:32 PM   #20
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stampnnatter View Post
There's a pack of 2 sheets of each of the the new colours except the in-colours on p182 of the catalogue. I ordered that and then decided which ones I liked enough to order more (Petal Pink, Granny Apple Green and Shaded Spruce - so far). I like most of them, but my unexpected favourite was Petal Pink. Initially I thought oh no, not yet another pink from SU, but it's a very pretty colour in real life.
Thanks for this tip, it IS a great way to decide on the new cardstock colors. I just added that to my ever growing list a couple of days ago. I will be interested to find out if I like Petal Pink, that is one of the colors I need to see before committing to. More than once Iíve bought a ight pink ink pad thinking it will be The One - none have really hit the mark, so the search continues!
grateful2bsaved and Stampnnatter like this post.
Old 07-16-2018, 12:05 AM   #21
Insane Embellisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stampnnatter View Post
I had the same thought process with Petal Pink I love it now!
Old 07-16-2018, 01:56 AM   #22
Hardware Hotshot

I'm buying Soft Seafoam for sure. I've considered Petal Pink, Grapefruit Grove, Granny Apple Green, & Mango Melody. I haven't seen any in person.

I'm going to a SU workshop Wed. Maybe she'll have some new colors.

I'm surprised there's only one mention of my favorite color ever! Coastal Cabana ( well CC and Blackberry a Bliss), and it was a NO! I know we are discussing mainly new colors but there's been mention of other returning colors!

I'm in a spot that I feel I don't need to invest in many new colors. I usually get one or two of the in-colors just for fun.

It's been fun reading everyone's opinion. Thanks for the ?
grateful2bsaved and shirlb19 like this post.
Old 07-16-2018, 05:08 AM   #23
Insane Embellisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allistamps123 View Post
I'm buying Soft Seafoam for sure. I've considered Petal Pink, Grapefruit Grove, Granny Apple Green, & Mango Melody. I haven't seen any in person.

I'm going to a SU workshop Wed. Maybe she'll have some new colors.

I'm surprised there's only one mention of my favorite color ever! Coastal Cabana ( well CC and Blackberry a Bliss), and it was a NO! I know we are discussing mainly new colors but there's been mention of other returning colors!

I'm in a spot that I feel I don't need to invest in many new colors. I usually get one or two of the in-colors just for fun.

It's been fun reading everyone's opinion. Thanks for the ?
I love Coastal Cabana! I'm so happy it came back

Mango Melody is divine, and I do like Granny Apple Green too.
grateful2bsaved and shirlb19 like this post.
Old 07-16-2018, 06:18 AM   #24
Watercolor Wizard

I, too, love Coastal Cabana! I bought it when it first came out and have pad, reinker, cardstock, marker and I think some ribbons. That shows commitment to a color!
BlackBerry Bliss I resisted until I thought it was going to be retired, then I ordered it! So silly, I could have been enjoying it much earlier.

I think the reason that these colors havenít got a lot of mention on this thread is because they arenít really new colors, they are resurrected colors. That being the case, a lot of us already have these in our stash so donít think to mention them as being good colors to have.
Old 07-16-2018, 08:06 AM   #25
Proud Fan Club Member

Nice to see the votes for petal pink. In the catalogue the color does not look all that great.

I have a pack of coastal cabana and just lately have been using it again (before I had to pack everything up for our reno). It is a great summer color.

Shirl
grateful2bsaved likes this post.
Old 07-16-2018, 11:53 PM   #26
Stazon Splitcoast

Unfortunately...I am OCD so I need them all. I am no help...lol

My LuLaRoe business on Facebook :LuLaRoe Amber Shaw link: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1131616026921064/
grateful2bsaved likes this post.
Old Today, 06:52 AM   #27
Glitter Queen

Susy, What colors do you seem to be drawn to most? I would get those first then fill in as you want. I am not really much help otherwise as I bought them all lol
Old Today, 11:22 AM   #28
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by scramper75 View Post
Susy, What colors do you seem to be drawn to most? I would get those first then fill in as you want. I am not really much help otherwise as I bought them all lol

To answer that question, greens, greens, greens! And blues, if they have a hint of green in them. Ha...
My SU order just arrived (box still warm from being in UPS truck...just like a loaf of fresh French bread, I couldnít wait to rip into it!). Looks like I ordered 7 greens (including blues with green tones) and 3 pads in non-green.

This will sound strange, but I thought I ordered a wide array of colors. Turns out I ordered a wide array of green colors! So I guess I followed your instructions, unknowingly!

Thanks for sharing this wise advice.

Trying to open the new case style with one hand and itís not working. Might have to come back and get advice on how to open them...how pathetic is that?!