In the Forums

Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter





Previous Issues

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads


 
Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-17-2011, 06:55 AM   #1
Stazon Splitcoast
 
Joan B's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 15,805
Default Ranger Distress Inks question

some of my ink pads are very juicy. others are not.

I am trying to figure out whether this is just luck or a characteristic of certain colors.

For example, my Milled Lavendar is pretty dry.

Would appreciate your experience!
__________________
Dear Paperlicious is my blog...with a series on how I'm learning to improve my cardmaking by studying others.
Joan B is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 08:02 AM   #2
Polyshrink Goddess
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 707
Default

I have found the same thing with some of my distress pads.

Sheena
Sheena74 is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 08:31 AM   #3
Pearl-ExPert
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Maryland and Delaware
Posts: 2,156
Default

I have found that too. Not sure what it's about. I have been slowly buying the refills.
__________________
Karen
Karen99 is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 08:35 AM   #4
Glitter Queen
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 10
Default

I can't answer any of the questions, but maybe you guys can answer mine. What is the difference between distress inks adn dye inks?
Mluddy is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 08:36 AM   #5
Die Cut Diva
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 3,013
Default

Not all ink pads are as wet as others. It really depends on the type of ink. You don't want to have the pad be soggy so be careful with how often you use a reinker.

Also remember that the pads don't last forever. You do need to replace the pad itself from time to time. At least every few years.

Patti
pjw2855 is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 11:27 AM   #6
Pearl-ExPert
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Maryland and Delaware
Posts: 2,156
Default

Thanks patti!! My pads are actually relatively new. But some of them are more dry than others, that's why I've been trying to buy some reinkers.
__________________
Karen
Karen99 is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 11:33 AM   #7
Stazon Splitcoast
 
Joan B's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 15,805
Default

Mine are brand new. I'll be back later to respond to the question on the difference between distress and regular dye ink. iin short, distress stay wet longer and therefore blend much better.
__________________
Dear Paperlicious is my blog...with a series on how I'm learning to improve my cardmaking by studying others.
Joan B is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 12:06 PM   #8
Insane Embellisher
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 781
Default

I have had to use ink refresher on ALL my paler colors of Distress Ink. At first I thought they weren't inked well at the factory, but I found when I used refresher they came back to life.
Louisa May is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 02:00 PM   #9
Stazon Splitcoast
 
Joan B's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 15,805
Default

well i'm not happy. these ink pads are $5!!! ok, I'll get off my high horse and be happy with the fact that i love these.

to respond to the question about how they differ, check out this blog and look at this woman's work. Inspired by... she colors backgrounds and images with distress inks and i drool!!

You can also go on you tube and search some videos.
__________________
Dear Paperlicious is my blog...with a series on how I'm learning to improve my cardmaking by studying others.
Joan B is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 02:23 PM   #10
Stazon Splitcoast
 
star's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: technically, So Cal. But mostly here!
Posts: 14,523
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
I can't answer any of the questions, but maybe you guys can answer mine. What is the difference between distress inks adn dye inks?
Distress inks stay wet longer, giving them wonderful blending qualities. They are water based dye inks, which means they will react with water for some great techniques.

Here is Tim Holtz's video on Distress Ink techniques

Video Demo of Distress Inks by Tim Holtz

Glenda is another FABULOUS creator who uses disterss inks to color her images
MagPie's Corner
__________________
Starla
THE QUEEN, TWO PRINCES' AND THE KISSED TOAD!
Star Gazing(my gallery)
Exploring Creativity~blog
star is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 02:25 PM   #11
Stazon Splitcoast
 
star's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: technically, So Cal. But mostly here!
Posts: 14,523
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joan B View Post
some of my ink pads are very juicy. others are not.

I am trying to figure out whether this is just luck or a characteristic of certain colors.

For example, my Milled Lavendar is pretty dry.

Would appreciate your experience!
To be honest, I think this is a characteristic of some colors (like SU's bashful blue...that ink pad was ALWAYS dry for me!!).

I have found that it doesn't take much reinker tho, to get the pad up to par again
__________________
Starla
THE QUEEN, TWO PRINCES' AND THE KISSED TOAD!
Star Gazing(my gallery)
Exploring Creativity~blog
star is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 06:22 PM   #12
Die Cut Diva
 
Jill with a G's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: St Louis, Missouri
Posts: 3,404
Default

Did you find an answer to your question? I love how the Ranger Distress inks work for the most part. I find the darker inks are juicier and easier to work with. My favorite Ranger Distress ink color is Walnut Stain. I ended up getting a new one recently not because it was dry but because I wore the pad out! I did a lot of direct to paper distressing. I do find the lighter Ranger Distress ink colors do seem to be drier so I don't use them as much, and try to find something else that will work a little better. Is the refresher just a spritz? Does each color ink pad have it's own spritz refresher?
__________________
Gillian W.
St Louis Missouri

Jill with a G is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 03:23 AM   #13
Hardware Hotshot
 
Scrapjanny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: The City That Never Sleeps
Posts: 4,573
Default

Spun Sugar has been on the dry side since the day I bought it, which wasn't long ago. I ended up having to buy the re-inker, and it's a little better, but not one of the really wet colors. Very disappointing. My Bashful Blue is also like that. I constantly have to re-ink it.
Scrapjanny is online now  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 05:08 AM   #14
Insane Embellisher
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 781
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill with a G View Post
Did you find an answer to your question? I love how the Ranger Distress inks work for the most part. I find the darker inks are juicier and easier to work with. My favorite Ranger Distress ink color is Walnut Stain. I ended up getting a new one recently not because it was dry but because I wore the pad out! I did a lot of direct to paper distressing. I do find the lighter Ranger Distress ink colors do seem to be drier so I don't use them as much, and try to find something else that will work a little better. Is the refresher just a spritz? Does each color ink pad have it's own spritz refresher?
I used Ranger's Perfect Ink Refresher, which rehydrates ink pads and water base markers
It comes in a 4 oz spray and is acid free. You can buy it at Joann.com and many other places. Scrapbookexpress.com has it on sale for $3.99, but I think I paid even less for it. I can't remember where I got it because I bought a lot of it at one time quite awhile ago. You may think you need more ink when you just need to refresh the pad.
Louisa May is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 07:00 PM   #15
Pearl-ExPert
 
stampztoomuch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Coquitlam, BC
Posts: 2,292
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louisa May View Post
I used Ranger's Perfect Ink Refresher, which rehydrates ink pads and water base markers
It comes in a 4 oz spray and is acid free. You can buy it at Joann.com and many other places. Scrapbookexpress.com has it on sale for $3.99, but I think I paid even less for it. I can't remember where I got it because I bought a lot of it at one time quite awhile ago. You may think you need more ink when you just need to refresh the pad.
Hi Louisa May, I was wondering if you could please tell me whether you found that the ranger ink refresher affected the way the distress inks work? I want to try it out (since yup my milled lavender & lighter colours seem dry) but I'm concerned that the inks won't react to water the same way or blend as nicely. What do you find? Thanks in advance.
__________________
Mel :0) (Gallery & Blog (Mel Stampz))
Happy to be a Fan Club member!
stampztoomuch is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 09:41 PM   #16
Crimping Master
 
KoffeeKat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 1,084
Default

My Shabby Shutters was really dry. It was also coming loose from the base (not sure if the two were related). It is probably the lightest of the colours I have.
__________________
There is no such thing as lack of sleep, only caffeine deficiency.
KoffeeKat is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 10:18 PM   #17
Pearl-ExPert
 
stampztoomuch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Coquitlam, BC
Posts: 2,292
Default

Now that you mention it, my milled lavender was coming loose as well. Maybe that is related...
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoffeeKat View Post
My Shabby Shutters was really dry. It was also coming loose from the base (not sure if the two were related). It is probably the lightest of the colours I have.
__________________
Mel :0) (Gallery & Blog (Mel Stampz))
Happy to be a Fan Club member!
stampztoomuch is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 07:15 AM   #18
Insane Embellisher
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 781
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by stampztoomuch View Post
Hi Louisa May, I was wondering if you could please tell me whether you found that the ranger ink refresher affected the way the distress inks work? I want to try it out (since yup my milled lavender & lighter colours seem dry) but I'm concerned that the inks won't react to water the same way or blend as nicely. What do you find? Thanks in advance.
Yes, the Ink Refresher worked well. I had to use it on the lighter colors, and it really helped. It refreshes the ink and makes it work much better. It doesn't make the colors darker (I didn't want that anyway), but it makes the ink flow. In my post I made a mistake when I said it refreshed "water based markers." I don't know where I got that. I meant other dye based inks! The refresher will help the ink blend better.
Louisa May is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 10:50 AM   #19
Dirty Dozen Alumni
 
Julia S's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Ontario
Posts: 12,293
Default

I haven't had any trouble with mine. Perhaps you just got one from a bad batch? Why not contact Ranger? I've had all of the distress inks for a long time and they get a lot of use. I've only added reinker to the ones I use daily.

Good luck!
__________________
Belle Papier {pretty paper}

I design for ... Ellen Hutson LLC, & Maya Road


Julia S is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 10:58 AM   #20
Pearl-ExPert
 
stampztoomuch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Coquitlam, BC
Posts: 2,292
Default

Hi Louisa May,

Thanks so much for your reply! Where I bought mine the write said it's good for markers too: *Ranger PERFECT INK REFRESHER Refresh Pad Marker Condition

Here are the instructions for the marker refreshing (though I haven't tried it myself since my bottle hasn't arrived in the mail yet)

"For Water Based Markers: Remove the end plug from the marker or gently pull the nib out. Use an eyedropper to apply Ink Refresher to pen reservoir. Return the plug or nib. Allow a few minutes for the moisture to saturate the ink core before using"

I do find that I do have to re-ink a lot of my pads often and some of the lids are loose (According to Ranger, new pads have more ink & are deeper pads). I have noticed quite a difference between ones I bought recently. The new pads are much more inky & lids are tighter. I've been thinking about storing them in an air-tight container because I think they evaporate in my climate.

Gotta love em!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louisa May View Post
Yes, the Ink Refresher worked well. I had to use it on the lighter colors, and it really helped. It refreshes the ink and makes it work much better. It doesn't make the colors darker (I didn't want that anyway), but it makes the ink flow. In my post I made a mistake when I said it refreshed "water based markers." I don't know where I got that. I meant other dye based inks! The refresher will help the ink blend better.
__________________
Mel :0) (Gallery & Blog (Mel Stampz))
Happy to be a Fan Club member!
stampztoomuch is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 07:51 PM   #21
Rubber Obsessor
 
KERRSKREATIONS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Mojave Desert
Posts: 157
Default

I HAVE WORKED IN THE BIG BOX PAINT SECTION AND AFTER ADDING THE PIGMENT WHICH IS PURE COLOR, TO THE PAINT DISPENSER MACHINE, HAVE NOTICED THE HEAVINESS TO DARKER COLORS. THIS IS BECAUSE THE PIGMENT IS HEAVIER AND KEEPS OUT LIGHT. DARKER COLORS HOLD THE MOISTURE LONGER THAN LIGHTER ONES. JUST LOOK THROUGH YOUR ACRYLIC OR OIL PAINTS YOU WILL SEE WHAT I MEAN. SO WHEN IT COMES TO INKS THE SAME IDEA APPLIES JUST A THINNED OUT VERSION. JUST LIKE OIL AND ACRYLIC PAINTS, INK PADS WILL DRY OUT DIFFERENTLY DEPENDING ON COLOR AND WHETHER IT IS ALCOHOL OR WATER BASED. I HOPE THIS HELPS. (NO I WASN'T YELLING AT YOU.....JUST TOO LAZY TO TYPE CORRECTLY. NOW OFF TO STAMPING/CREATING
KERRSKREATIONS is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 11:33 PM   #22
Pearl-ExPert
 
stampztoomuch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Coquitlam, BC
Posts: 2,292
Default

Now that is fascinating. Thanks for sharing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KERRSKREATIONS View Post
I HAVE WORKED IN THE BIG BOX PAINT SECTION AND AFTER ADDING THE PIGMENT WHICH IS PURE COLOR, TO THE PAINT DISPENSER MACHINE, HAVE NOTICED THE HEAVINESS TO DARKER COLORS. THIS IS BECAUSE THE PIGMENT IS HEAVIER AND KEEPS OUT LIGHT. DARKER COLORS HOLD THE MOISTURE LONGER THAN LIGHTER ONES. JUST LOOK THROUGH YOUR ACRYLIC OR OIL PAINTS YOU WILL SEE WHAT I MEAN. SO WHEN IT COMES TO INKS THE SAME IDEA APPLIES JUST A THINNED OUT VERSION. JUST LIKE OIL AND ACRYLIC PAINTS, INK PADS WILL DRY OUT DIFFERENTLY DEPENDING ON COLOR AND WHETHER IT IS ALCOHOL OR WATER BASED. I HOPE THIS HELPS. (NO I WASN'T YELLING AT YOU.....JUST TOO LAZY TO TYPE CORRECTLY. NOW OFF TO STAMPING/CREATING
__________________
Mel :0) (Gallery & Blog (Mel Stampz))
Happy to be a Fan Club member!
stampztoomuch is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 06:54 AM   #23
Insane Embellisher
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 781
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by stampztoomuch View Post
Hi Louisa May,

Thanks so much for your reply! Where I bought mine the write said it's good for markers too: *Ranger PERFECT INK REFRESHER Refresh Pad Marker Condition

Here are the instructions for the marker refreshing (though I haven't tried it myself since my bottle hasn't arrived in the mail yet)

"For Water Based Markers: Remove the end plug from the marker or gently pull the nib out. Use an eyedropper to apply Ink Refresher to pen reservoir. Return the plug or nib. Allow a few minutes for the moisture to saturate the ink core before using"

I do find that I do have to re-ink a lot of my pads often and some of the lids are loose (According to Ranger, new pads have more ink & are deeper pads). I have noticed quite a difference between ones I bought recently. The new pads are much more inky & lids are tighter. I've been thinking about storing them in an air-tight container because I think they evaporate in my climate.

Gotta love em!
The instructions on refreshing the markers are great! Thanks.
Louisa May is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Reply





Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off