Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 07-10-2019, 05:15 PM   #1  
Glitter Guru

Received 369 Likes on 219 Posts
Default Products that have/haven't stood the test of time

The post about the daubers not lasting long got me to thinking about products we've had for a while, and whether or not they've lived up to our expectations. I thought we could share one (or more) of each. I'll start.

One product that has been well worth the money I spent on it would be my Big Kick machine. I bought the red and white one around 2006, and it's still going strong. I gave it to my mother because I bought the teal and aqua Big Shot (I know, I know). She uses it almost every day, and it still works as well as the day I bought it.

On the other hand, a few days ago I had to throw away a whole sheet of adhesive squares. They had dried up so much that the backing paper was falling off them. I don't think I paid a lot of money for them, but still. I thought of adding glue to them, but that would have been too much work for me, and it just wasn't worth it.

OK, who's next?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-10-2019, 05:43 PM   #2  
Insane Embellisher

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I have to think about the best but the worst immediately came to mind because they irk me SO MUCH!

When scrapbooking was huge in the early 2000s, I bought everything - and have managed to complete a total of 4, yes 4, pages in all these years. All are of my niece and one was pix of her playing with one of those bubble making guns. SpongeBob was really big then (still?) and there was an episode about his 'Bubble Buddy'. I did the page in the 'Bubble Buddy' theme, I even made my own copy of the 'Bubbly Buddy' by meticulously hand-drawing him on and cutting him out of vellum. For dimensional bubbles I bought these embellishments: 1" clear adhesive semi-domes. I can't remember who made them or what they were called exactly. I was so proud of myself to get that page done. Well, in about 3 years time they totally yellowed and eventually browned. Now when you look at the page you can't figure out why these ugly dirty blobs are on the page. Every time I get the rare urge to add a 5th page I look at that one, get disgusted, and the urge passes. I HATE those freakin' blobs.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-10-2019, 11:43 PM   #3  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 292 Likes on 127 Posts

I have loads of stuff that I've had for years and is still going strong. If I had to pick, it's a toss up between Brilliance ink pads and my Corner Chomper.
  • I bought Pearlescent Sky and Pearlescent Orchid Brilliance pads 13 years ago before I was really a stamper - a friend was expecting a baby and I bought pads and a stamp to add a sentiment to a baby card (didn't know the baby's gender until it was born so prepared for both!). Never reinked the pads and those inks still perform perfectly. Baby is now a teenager!
  • I got the corner Chomper because I was so impressed with the Crop-a-Dile. I use it loads to round a single corner on what is probably the majority of the cards I make.
In the "disappointing" camp for me were (first generation) Spectrum Noir markers. I only bought one set and found I didn't like the nibs, the way they felt in the hand or the way they blended (or didn't!) on cardstock that worked perfectly for me with other alcohol markers. I passed those on and bought more Copics instead :cool:

My blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-11-2019, 02:54 AM   #4  
Die Cut Diva

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

I have Encore Metallic pads bought at least 15 years ago, still going strong, only reinked once or twice. Agree also with Joanne about Brilliance pads.

Disappointing were the Staz-on Opaques- worst pads I ever bought. Sticky beyond belief, I lost two to the inner lid sticking to the pad and tearing it, They needed inking before every use too. It did teach me not to believe the manufacturers hype on products though, so there's that.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-11-2019, 04:01 AM   #5  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 585 Likes on 240 Posts

Two of my oldest and most used investments are the SU! pigment inks, discontinued years ago but I keep inking them and using them. I also still love and use my Creative Memories shapes cutting system, purchased in 2002. Countless tools, embellishments, stamps, etc., have come and gone and my stash is always undergoing renovation.
Mary Beth
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-11-2019, 04:07 AM   #6  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by fifiwesfanView Post
I have to think about the best but the worst immediately came to mind because they irk me SO MUCH!

When scrapbooking was huge in the early 2000s, I bought everything - and have managed to complete a total of 4, yes 4, pages in all these years. All are of my niece and one was pix of her playing with one of those bubble making guns. SpongeBob was really big then (still?) and there was an episode about his 'Bubble Buddy'. I did the page in the 'Bubble Buddy' theme, I even made my own copy of the 'Bubbly Buddy' by meticulously hand-drawing him on and cutting him out of vellum. For dimensional bubbles I bought these embellishments: 1" clear adhesive semi-domes. I can't remember who made them or what they were called exactly. I was so proud of myself to get that page done. Well, in about 3 years time they totally yellowed and eventually browned. Now when you look at the page you can't figure out why these ugly dirty blobs are on the page. Every time I get the rare urge to add a 5th page I look at that one, get disgusted, and the urge passes. I HATE those freakin' blobs.
Oh, that's awful! I know a lot of scrapbookers who are having the same problems. I didn't use many of those, but that would really bother me too. Maybe you can save it someday.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-11-2019, 04:09 AM   #7  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by shazsilverwolfView Post
I have Encore Metallic pads bought at least 15 years ago, still going strong, only reinked once or twice. Agree also with Joanne about Brilliance pads.

Disappointing were the Staz-on Opaques- worst pads I ever bought. Sticky beyond belief, I lost two to the inner lid sticking to the pad and tearing it, They needed inking before every use too. It did teach me not to believe the manufacturers hype on products though, so there's that.
I had the same problem with the Staz On white. Awful!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-11-2019, 04:10 AM   #8  
Glitter Guru

Isn't it interesting how many of our old ink pads are still going strong? I have a lot that I've never re-inked, and I've had them for at least 10 years. Probably more.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-11-2019, 06:30 AM   #9  
Forum Fanatic

Received 34 Likes on 24 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScrapjannyView Post
Isn't it interesting how many of our old ink pads are still going strong? I have a lot that I've never re-inked, and I've had them for at least 10 years. Probably more.
Me, too! In fact I have felt-topped dye ink pads from the late 1980’s that are still viable today. That’s THRITY years!!!!! :shock: They didn’t even sell reinkers back then, so I am 100% positive that they have not been re-inked.

Now that you made me remember of those ink pads, I think I will use them on a challenge card I was planning to make today. Thanks for the memory-jogger!:cool:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-11-2019, 06:49 AM   #10  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

My Spellbinder's Wizard is going strong since early 2008. It's one of the original purple machines with the ratchet-style handle. I still have the original cutting plates for it, too.

And, since a lot of you mentioned ink pads, I have the full set of Palette inks going strong, with only the black ever having been re-inked. I still use them all the time!

Does decorative paper count? :rolleyes: I've been an avid collector since I started card-making almost 15 years ago and still have some collections mostly in-tact. :oops:

In fact, now that I think about it, many of my "staple" supplies are original, never replaced. My theory is- why spend more $$ on new when the old one is working just fine? Sure, it's not as pretty as others but that leaves me more $ for new goodies.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-11-2019, 06:52 AM   #11  
Mad Swapper

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Favs are hard because I love stamping in general: red rubber stamps, mounted or unmounted, I just plain love them: My case of 32 Sugarloaf inks, sure wish they were still made: speaking of inks Marvy, I miss them too- between these 2 brands I had my permanent and regular dye inks needs covered; any nice quality white cardstock because I can change/do anything with it.

Regrets: Marvy markers, the nibs were way to fat and shredded way too easily; Colorbox pigment pads - reg, petal, dual ended sticks (anyone remember those) they would start to disintegrate and make such a mess; Stazon ink pads, enough said; Quickie Glue pens and I'm sorry to anyone who bought one on my recommendation; 12x12 scrapbooking paper-I don't scrapbook and the images are generally sized wrong to cut up and use on cards. It just sits there on a shelf mocking me; metal embellishments- I was given these as gifts over the years but I just don't like using them for the most part, the only time I do is a bookplate on a diy journal or mini book: most all of my reinkers (exception of one-see below) I just am not one to use them, I'd rather use a coupon or sale to purchase a new pad because then there is no more strings or disintegrating/dried out crunchy pad to deal with and if I want to do splotchy effects on paper I can use my watercolors.

Love/Hate relationship: white gel pens and gel pens in general;A Vivid grey ink pad made by Clearsnap, I absolutely loved the color of this pad but the pad itself disintegrated :( Memento London Fog grey ink pad, the color was a very funky and ugly greenish color. Several year later it occurred to me to stamp off some of the color and use my Vivid Cobblestone reinker on it-nothing ventured nothing gained. It isn't exactly the same color but much better and at least usable. I'm hoping over time as the Memento ink is used up on the pad that I can get it closer to the Cobblestone color.

I could probably think of others, I've been at it a very long time. Fyi for those that have mentioned old ink pads that are still going strong, I can guarantee I have you beat. I have 2 PSX ink pads that are still juicy and we all know how long they have been out of biz.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-11-2019, 08:34 AM   #12  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by whoistracyView Post
My Spellbinder's Wizard is going strong since early 2008. It's one of the original purple machines with the ratchet-style handle. I still have the original cutting plates for it, too.

And, since a lot of you mentioned ink pads, I have the full set of Palette inks going strong, with only the black ever having been re-inked. I still use them all the time!

Does decorative paper count? :rolleyes: I've been an avid collector since I started card-making almost 15 years ago and still have some collections mostly in-tact. :oops:

In fact, now that I think about it, many of my "staple" supplies are original, never replaced. My theory is- why spend more $$ on new when the old one is working just fine? Sure, it's not as pretty as others but that leaves me more $ for new goodies.
Yes, it all counts! I agree.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-11-2019, 07:49 PM   #13  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 77 Likes on 42 Posts

I have some of the Palette ink pads too; I wish they still made them! Although they might be, for a different company. Altenew's full-size ink pads are identical to the Palette ones. I'm talking about the containers. I don't have enough Palette inks to compare the quality.

A tip for white gel pens: when you buy them, they have that tiny blob covering the tip. Save that. It's what keeps them fresh on the shelf. Good luck finding it if you drop it, so I will say a tiny blob of polymer clay will work too!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-12-2019, 06:23 AM   #14  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

I was peeking at something over here and saw this thread. I love it so much. I love good timeless classics.

My test of time is that little Making Memories piercer. CutterBee's microtip scissors. My homemade tools I made over the years. My store bought ones have been in the pile of shame.

Inks- Tsukineko Black Inks- Versafine, Memento, Brilliance & StazOn. My Versamark embossing pad. I never had to reink any of those. Stacy will hate me. My Marvy LePlume's. I still ink stamps with them to this day.

Hasn't stood the test of time- All those trend tools that went into the pile of shame.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-12-2019, 06:29 AM   #15  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by lylacfeyView Post
CutterBee's microtip scissors...

Inks- Tsukineko Black Inks- Versafine, Memento, Brilliance & StazOn. My Versamark embossing pad. I never had to reink any of those.
Agreed! I love those CutterBee scissors and use them ALL the time to fussy cut things. Always get a sharp, straight edge.

My Versamark pad is going strong without reinking, too!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-13-2019, 06:15 AM   #16  
Mad Swapper

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Quote:

Stacy will hate me. My Marvy LePlume's. I still ink stamps with them to this day.
Yep never gonna talk to you again... cause I think your crazy ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-13-2019, 10:01 AM   #17  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 1,716 Likes on 649 Posts

Dee Ann, I am still laughing at your term "pile of shame". Thanks for the smile this morning!

Shirl
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-17-2019, 02:40 AM   #18  
Glitter Queen

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

I would have to say my Sizzix machines too. I still have the sizzix machine you had to press the handle down, not crank and original side kick . Purchased both years ago for a quarter of what the "new" Tim Holtz sidekick goes for now.

I also have lots of foam pads that lost stickiness and some double sided tape.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-17-2019, 04:29 AM   #19  
Mad Swapper

Received 32 Likes on 16 Posts

Tombow markers! I bought a set about 15 years ago, before I had many ink pads. Still going strong, still wonderful.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-17-2019, 04:41 AM   #20  
Glitter Queen

Received 18 Likes on 6 Posts

I have several roles of Washi Tape that are a couple of years old setting on my shelf. The other day I went to use a roll and it was hard to peel it back. I found that the adhesive came off and was stuck to the roll. Disappointed :-(
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-17-2019, 08:26 AM   #21  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Default UNDU

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScrapjannyView Post
Oh, that's awful! I know a lot of scrapbookers who are having the same problems. I didn't use many of those, but that would really bother me too. Maybe you can save it someday.

Perhaps you can remove those nasty yellowed things with some UNDU?? I love that stuff and use it all the time. It smells awful at first, but the smell goes away when it's fully dry.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-17-2019, 09:23 AM   #22  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 492 Likes on 271 Posts

Ink pads- I have a bunch of old SU pads that I bought used, many years ago (original style) that perform beautifully still today, and most never have been reinked. Also bought some TAC pads used, and ditto, perform great and I don't even HAVE reinkers for those, so Yay!
My cutter is an Xacto guillotine that I bought probably 20 or more years ago at an office close out store and it's still the best cutter I've ever used.

On the downside, I stocked up on double sticky red tape, and I'm finding it's losing it's powerful stick. It still works, but nowhere nearly as well as when it was new.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-17-2019, 10:54 AM   #23  
Matboard Maniac

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My first and FAVORITE die cutting machine was and still is the original Cuttlebug. I have two others that I have paid more for but I always go back to my Cuttlebug.
Reply With Quote Likes
The following users liked this post:
chinachick (06-05-2022)
Old 07-17-2019, 11:16 AM   #24  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 731 Likes on 353 Posts

I love this kind of thread....I think it is great for us to do this every so often to keep up on both what was new in the past year and for newbies...I always learn from this and I am not so new anymore.

Holds up very well:
My most versatile tool is an opened paper clip. I do a lot with it.

Seriously though-
Big shot-by FAR used more than anything else and is years old, my only thing like it, WELL worth it.
Since like many, I came into this via heat embossing-those are my oldest things (10 years).... Marvy 2500 purple heat gun, ranger teflon craft sheet, embossing buddy bag-all the first things I got and fine now.
Martha S scoreboard though I think any would unless the markings come off.
The "precious" as Sandy Allnock called it-scotch DS adhesive foam tape
Dreamweaver embossing pastes-like new after years
EK punches, chompers, cover dies
Tonic teflon scissors-the same ones I thought I had ruined once but you guys helped me
Sharpie metallic pens-great for running a border/accents and they last awhile.

I am going to skip pads as I find that to be very subjective. But I will say my Versafine black is my first/oldest (10 years) and most heavily used by literally 1000x and it is just kind of shredding now so I use it for my index and a new one to stamp. I have re-inked it many times. But I dont know if they are still made the same way.

Adhesive embellies...either way. Heck I still have rhinestones I have to use a hot tool to apply! :rolleyes: LOL

Disappointments:
Plastic Cutting units. Tonic, Fiskars, Purple cow, etc. Both guillotine and rotary. They just get loose over time in a way you cant fix. I have to move mine around to use it. Maybe if they sat in one place all the time? Now I am going to save up for a metal rototrim as that looks like it will hopefully hold up as I have to have a cutter.

Spec Noir pens-sadly they are drying out prematurely (I store them horizontal). I will not replace.

NUVO mousse-I know there was a packaging problem (see: NUVO mousse drying out on YT) but the ones that were still sealed with the aluminum opened not "all light and fluffy" thus called mousse-like they are supposed to be.

Glue pens. The thinner the faster they dry up.

The pick up tool. The stuff stopped advancing and I have to use a needle to pull it out. The jewel picker is only ok. I generally just use my finger nail, opened paper clip or a tweezer.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-17-2019, 12:07 PM   #25  
Stampin' Fool

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

Huge disappointments: Viva Inka Gold and Silks Acrylic Glaze paints - spent a lot of money and every single one of the colors dried out. The Silks were not salvageable but I am trying to rehydrate the Inka Golds... bleh!

Karen ... Murphy's Law
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-17-2019, 12:34 PM   #26  
Die Cut Diva

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Debbie KochView Post
I have several roles of Washi Tape that are a couple of years old setting on my shelf. The other day I went to use a roll and it was hard to peel it back. I found that the adhesive came off and was stuck to the roll. Disappointed :-(

I have had the same experience. The quality of washi really does vary!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-17-2019, 01:08 PM   #27  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts

White ink pens have never worked after their first use. Thanks for the tip on that sealing blob.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-17-2019, 01:29 PM   #28  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 252 Likes on 177 Posts

I still have my red and white big kick and use it constantly to cut my dies. Still going strong! I also have had my Tombow markers for YEARS and they are still inking up nice and juicy. The Distress regular ink pads I never loved but I do love the Oxide inks. Now that Catherine Pooler has appeared, I am in love with her inks .

I also love to send cards each month to Love Notes Fairy. Click here for more info https://jenniferbelthoff.com/love-notes-fairy/
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-17-2019, 03:18 PM   #29  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by wavejumperView Post
I love this kind of thread....I think it is great for us to do this every so often to keep up on both what was new in the past year and for newbies...I always learn from this and I am not so new anymore.

Holds up very well:
My most versatile tool is an opened paper clip. I do a lot with it.

Seriously though-
Big shot-by FAR used more than anything else and is years old, my only thing like it, WELL worth it.
Since like many, I came into this via heat embossing-those are my oldest things (10 years).... Marvy 2500 purple heat gun, ranger teflon craft sheet, embossing buddy bag-all the first things I got and fine now.
Martha S scoreboard though I think any would unless the markings come off.
The "precious" as Sandy Allnock called it-scotch DS adhesive foam tape
Dreamweaver embossing pastes-like new after years
EK punches, chompers, cover dies
Tonic teflon scissors-the same ones I thought I had ruined once but you guys helped me
Sharpie metallic pens-great for running a border/accents and they last awhile.

I am going to skip pads as I find that to be very subjective. But I will say my Versafine black is my first/oldest (10 years) and most heavily used by literally 1000x and it is just kind of shredding now so I use it for my index and a new one to stamp. I have re-inked it many times. But I dont know if they are still made the same way.

Adhesive embellies...either way. Heck I still have rhinestones I have to use a hot tool to apply! :rolleyes: LOL

Disappointments:
Plastic Cutting units. Tonic, Fiskars, Purple cow, etc. Both guillotine and rotary. They just get loose over time in a way you cant fix. I have to move mine around to use it. Maybe if they sat in one place all the time? Now I am going to save up for a metal rototrim as that looks like it will hopefully hold up as I have to have a cutter.

Spec Noir pens-sadly they are drying out prematurely (I store them horizontal). I will not replace.

NUVO mousse-I know there was a packaging problem (see: NUVO mousse drying out on YT) but the ones that were still sealed with the aluminum opened not "all light and fluffy" thus called mousse-like they are supposed to be.

Glue pens. The thinner the faster they dry up.

The pick up tool. The stuff stopped advancing and I have to use a needle to pull it out. The jewel picker is only ok. I generally just use my finger nail, opened paper clip or a tweezer.
Oh, yes, how could I forget about my Marvy heat gun? It's the only one I've ever owned, and I've had it for almost 17 years. It's still going strong. I'm glad so many people are enjoying and contributing to this thread.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-17-2019, 03:26 PM   #30  
Cardstock Collector

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhillisView Post
My first and FAVORITE die cutting machine was and still is the original Cuttlebug. I have two others that I have paid more for but I always go back to my Cuttlebug.
Same here, I had the V2 Bug for years, then came across a V1 (original) going cheap. I've been using it ever since. Better than it's successor IMO, longer side flaps
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-17-2019, 03:26 PM   #31  
Kookie Creator

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Last edited by joniworx; 07-17-2019 at 03:32 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-17-2019, 03:31 PM   #32  
Kookie Creator

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by fifiwesfanView Post

Get some Un-du Adhesive Remover - your paper will be fine, the blobs will be gone, and your page will be saved. Promise!

UN-DO Adhesive Remover 4oz
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-17-2019, 04:55 PM   #33  
Matboard Maniac

Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts

My all-time, hands down, best purchased machine - my Big Shot! I think I've had it about ten years and is still one of my favorite tools. Probably the next thing on my list would be my Gelli plate. Some may wonder what it is doing on this list of stamping tools, but I use my plate for printing backgrounds and use the paper for anything and everything!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-18-2019, 03:33 AM   #34  
Matboard Maniac

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by AngelnorthView Post
I have loads of stuff that I've had for years and is still going strong. If I had to pick, it's a toss up between Brilliance ink pads and my Corner Chomper.
  • I bought Pearlescent Sky and Pearlescent Orchid Brilliance pads 13 years ago before I was really a stamper - a friend was expecting a baby and I bought pads and a stamp to add a sentiment to a baby card (didn't know the baby's gender until it was born so prepared for both!). Never reinked the pads and those inks still perform perfectly. Baby is now a teenager!
  • I got the corner Chomper because I was so impressed with the Crop-a-Dile. I use it loads to round a single corner on what is probably the majority of the cards I make.
In the "disappointing" camp for me were (first generation) Spectrum Noir markers. I only bought one set and found I didn't like the nibs, the way they felt in the hand or the way they blended (or didn't!) on cardstock that worked perfectly for me with other alcohol markers. I passed those on and bought more Copics instead :cool:
I've been using brilliance pads (and reinkers) for the last 15 years at least. They are my very favorite inks because of the shimmering, lovely effect. But they stopped making those inks years ago. I have every color and there are so many other colors that could have been added. AND THEY LAST! lol I see from this post how many others have used brilliance or at least have some pads. I wonder why they would stop making a products that is (1) different, (2) unique, and (3) loved by so many? Is it only "lack of sales" that would cause a company to stop making items? I just wonder why.....lol
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-18-2019, 03:42 AM   #35  
Matboard Maniac

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I've also purchased many (not all) colors of Colorbox Cat's eye pads and the reinkers - they were my very first ink pads 20 years ago. I just tossed the ink pads all out as they were disintegrating much as my sponge daubers. I did keep the reinkers, but one of the plastic toppers just broke so I know that ink will dry out soon. I did try to tape it back up but it is a favorite color, so of course I used that reinker the most. This is a good post!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-18-2019, 04:48 AM   #36  
Embossing Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bests & regrets

My bests are mostly ones that have already been covered...big shot, embossing buddy bag, fiskars hinged scissors. My fiskars slide trimmer gets the most workout, at home OR at work.

My regrets: Zig clean color watercolor brush markers. I guess i'm more used to actual markers & never took well to these. I keep going back to try them but have had them a year and many of them are dried out. I got the whole set for Christmas & was disappointed at how many neutral/blah colors there were.

Distress markers: These too dried out. I love the distress ink pads (and in fact those should be up in the BEST category) but those markers, again, blah!!!

Gelatos: I do like the metallics & what i've been able to do with them but the regular ones are in my "get rid of" pile. I kept trying them & kept hating them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-18-2019, 08:16 AM   #37  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 292 Likes on 127 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by bluebird52paView Post
I've been using brilliance pads (and reinkers) for the last 15 years at least. They are my very favorite inks because of the shimmering, lovely effect. But they stopped making those inks years ago...

I'm not sure why you think this. Brilliance inks are listed on the current Tsukineko web site, here and a quick Google search shows me loads of places selling them :cool:

My blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-18-2019, 08:58 AM   #38  
Linking Queen

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Joanne ... thanks for your post. It saves me time (and panic) as Brilliance, especially pearlescent colors, are among my favorite inkpads.

As for the OT, my die cutting machines (purple Wizard, teal Big Shot, and original/large Gemini) are going strong after many years. I don't craft daily or even weekly but I usually do marathon sessions with the machines so they get a good workout.

When we moved, I gave the Wizard to a niece (for space and storage concerns). The Big Shot is the teensiest bit loose in the handle but cuts well. Thd Gemini was purchased for a larger cutting surface and no cranking!

As for what hasn't held up I would say inexpensive foam tapes (should have known better) and, somewhat related, self-adhesive bling but I wasn't always able to have my supplies in a climate-controlled environment so won't lay blame on manufacturers or stores for items in my stash.

Really great topic and I'm enjoying the responses!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-18-2019, 03:20 PM   #39  
Matboard Maniac

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

On the plus side, I have to agree about the Brilliance ink pads. I've had mine for years and am always amazed at how great they still work. I'm also still using the Marvy heat tool I got when I first started stamping around 20 years ago. On the negative, I can't seem to use a gel pen more than a few times before it quits working. I think I've thrown out a landfill's worth, for sure. I do love them, so I bought a couple new ones and am hoping to keep the little blob on the tip to see if I can keep them going.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-18-2019, 07:05 PM   #40  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 122 Likes on 67 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by skm330mksView Post
Perhaps you can remove those nasty yellowed things with some UNDU?? I love that stuff and use it all the time. It smells awful at first, but the smell goes away when it's fully dry.

This is what I was going to suggest.

I have never used UNDU, but I have heard it works wonderfully! It is definitely worth a shot at trying.

Good luck!
Reply With Quote Likes