Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 07-10-2019, 05:15 PM   #1
Hardware Hotshot

Default Products that have/haven't stood the test of time

The post about the daubers not lasting long got me to thinking about products we've had for a while, and whether or not they've lived up to our expectations. I thought we could share one (or more) of each. I'll start.

One product that has been well worth the money I spent on it would be my Big Kick machine. I bought the red and white one around 2006, and it's still going strong. I gave it to my mother because I bought the teal and aqua Big Shot (I know, I know). She uses it almost every day, and it still works as well as the day I bought it.

On the other hand, a few days ago I had to throw away a whole sheet of adhesive squares. They had dried up so much that the backing paper was falling off them. I don't think I paid a lot of money for them, but still. I thought of adding glue to them, but that would have been too much work for me, and it just wasn't worth it.

OK, who's next?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
lylacfey, muscrat, DianeinSparks and 1 others like this post.
Old 07-10-2019, 05:43 PM   #2
Insane Embellisher

I have to think about the best but the worst immediately came to mind because they irk me SO MUCH!

When scrapbooking was huge in the early 2000s, I bought everything - and have managed to complete a total of 4, yes 4, pages in all these years. All are of my niece and one was pix of her playing with one of those bubble making guns. SpongeBob was really big then (still?) and there was an episode about his 'Bubble Buddy'. I did the page in the 'Bubble Buddy' theme, I even made my own copy of the 'Bubbly Buddy' by meticulously hand-drawing him on and cutting him out of vellum. For dimensional bubbles I bought these embellishments: 1" clear adhesive semi-domes. I can't remember who made them or what they were called exactly. I was so proud of myself to get that page done. Well, in about 3 years time they totally yellowed and eventually browned. Now when you look at the page you can't figure out why these ugly dirty blobs are on the page. Every time I get the rare urge to add a 5th page I look at that one, get disgusted, and the urge passes. I HATE those freakin' blobs.
pepperann, Scrapjanny and muscrat like this post.
Old 07-10-2019, 11:43 PM   #3
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

I have loads of stuff that I've had for years and is still going strong. If I had to pick, it's a toss up between Brilliance ink pads and my Corner Chomper.
  • I bought Pearlescent Sky and Pearlescent Orchid Brilliance pads 13 years ago before I was really a stamper - a friend was expecting a baby and I bought pads and a stamp to add a sentiment to a baby card (didn't know the baby's gender until it was born so prepared for both!). Never reinked the pads and those inks still perform perfectly. Baby is now a teenager!
  • I got the corner Chomper because I was so impressed with the Crop-a-Dile. I use it loads to round a single corner on what is probably the majority of the cards I make.
In the "disappointing" camp for me were (first generation) Spectrum Noir markers. I only bought one set and found I didn't like the nibs, the way they felt in the hand or the way they blended (or didn't!) on cardstock that worked perfectly for me with other alcohol markers. I passed those on and bought more Copics instead

My blog
Scrapjanny, DianeinSparks and shirlb19 like this post.
Old 07-11-2019, 02:54 AM   #4
Die Cut Diva

I have Encore Metallic pads bought at least 15 years ago, still going strong, only reinked once or twice. Agree also with Joanne about Brilliance pads.

Disappointing were the Staz-on Opaques- worst pads I ever bought. Sticky beyond belief, I lost two to the inner lid sticking to the pad and tearing it, They needed inking before every use too. It did teach me not to believe the manufacturers hype on products though, so there's that.
Old 07-11-2019, 04:01 AM   #5
Gabfest Goddess

Two of my oldest and most used investments are the SU! pigment inks, discontinued years ago but I keep inking them and using them. I also still love and use my Creative Memories shapes cutting system, purchased in 2002. Countless tools, embellishments, stamps, etc., have come and gone and my stash is always undergoing renovation.
Mary Beth
pepperann and Scrapjanny like this post.
Old 07-11-2019, 04:07 AM   #6
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:
Originally Posted by fifiwesfan View Post
I have to think about the best but the worst immediately came to mind because they irk me SO MUCH!

When scrapbooking was huge in the early 2000s, I bought everything - and have managed to complete a total of 4, yes 4, pages in all these years. All are of my niece and one was pix of her playing with one of those bubble making guns. SpongeBob was really big then (still?) and there was an episode about his 'Bubble Buddy'. I did the page in the 'Bubble Buddy' theme, I even made my own copy of the 'Bubbly Buddy' by meticulously hand-drawing him on and cutting him out of vellum. For dimensional bubbles I bought these embellishments: 1" clear adhesive semi-domes. I can't remember who made them or what they were called exactly. I was so proud of myself to get that page done. Well, in about 3 years time they totally yellowed and eventually browned. Now when you look at the page you can't figure out why these ugly dirty blobs are on the page. Every time I get the rare urge to add a 5th page I look at that one, get disgusted, and the urge passes. I HATE those freakin' blobs.
Oh, that's awful! I know a lot of scrapbookers who are having the same problems. I didn't use many of those, but that would really bother me too. Maybe you can save it someday.
fifiwesfan likes this post.
Old 07-11-2019, 04:09 AM   #7
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:
Originally Posted by shazsilverwolf View Post
I have Encore Metallic pads bought at least 15 years ago, still going strong, only reinked once or twice. Agree also with Joanne about Brilliance pads.

Disappointing were the Staz-on Opaques- worst pads I ever bought. Sticky beyond belief, I lost two to the inner lid sticking to the pad and tearing it, They needed inking before every use too. It did teach me not to believe the manufacturers hype on products though, so there's that.
I had the same problem with the Staz On white. Awful!
shazsilverwolf likes this post.
Old 07-11-2019, 04:10 AM   #8
Hardware Hotshot

Isn't it interesting how many of our old ink pads are still going strong? I have a lot that I've never re-inked, and I've had them for at least 10 years. Probably more.
Boss, Alice in Md, shazsilverwolf and 2 others like this post.
Old 07-11-2019, 06:30 AM   #9
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapjanny View Post
Isn't it interesting how many of our old ink pads are still going strong? I have a lot that I've never re-inked, and I've had them for at least 10 years. Probably more.
Me, too! In fact I have felt-topped dye ink pads from the late 1980’s that are still viable today. That’s THRITY years!!!!! They didn’t even sell reinkers back then, so I am 100% positive that they have not been re-inked.

Now that you made me remember of those ink pads, I think I will use them on a challenge card I was planning to make today. Thanks for the memory-jogger!
pepperann, Scrapjanny and shazsilverwolf like this post.
Old 07-11-2019, 06:49 AM   #10
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

My Spellbinder's Wizard is going strong since early 2008. It's one of the original purple machines with the ratchet-style handle. I still have the original cutting plates for it, too.

And, since a lot of you mentioned ink pads, I have the full set of Palette inks going strong, with only the black ever having been re-inked. I still use them all the time!

Does decorative paper count? I've been an avid collector since I started card-making almost 15 years ago and still have some collections mostly in-tact.

In fact, now that I think about it, many of my "staple" supplies are original, never replaced. My theory is- why spend more $$ on new when the old one is working just fine? Sure, it's not as pretty as others but that leaves me more $ for new goodies.
Old 07-11-2019, 06:52 AM   #11
Stampin' Fool

Favs are hard because I love stamping in general: red rubber stamps, mounted or unmounted, I just plain love them: My case of 32 Sugarloaf inks, sure wish they were still made: speaking of inks Marvy, I miss them too- between these 2 brands I had my permanent and regular dye inks needs covered; any nice quality white cardstock because I can change/do anything with it.

Regrets: Marvy markers, the nibs were way to fat and shredded way too easily; Colorbox pigment pads - reg, petal, dual ended sticks (anyone remember those) they would start to disintegrate and make such a mess; Stazon ink pads, enough said; Quickie Glue pens and I'm sorry to anyone who bought one on my recommendation; 12x12 scrapbooking paper-I don't scrapbook and the images are generally sized wrong to cut up and use on cards. It just sits there on a shelf mocking me; metal embellishments- I was given these as gifts over the years but I just don't like using them for the most part, the only time I do is a bookplate on a diy journal or mini book: most all of my reinkers (exception of one-see below) I just am not one to use them, I'd rather use a coupon or sale to purchase a new pad because then there is no more strings or disintegrating/dried out crunchy pad to deal with and if I want to do splotchy effects on paper I can use my watercolors.

Love/Hate relationship: white gel pens and gel pens in general;A Vivid grey ink pad made by Clearsnap, I absolutely loved the color of this pad but the pad itself disintegrated Memento London Fog grey ink pad, the color was a very funky and ugly greenish color. Several year later it occurred to me to stamp off some of the color and use my Vivid Cobblestone reinker on it-nothing ventured nothing gained. It isn't exactly the same color but much better and at least usable. I'm hoping over time as the Memento ink is used up on the pad that I can get it closer to the Cobblestone color.

I could probably think of others, I've been at it a very long time. Fyi for those that have mentioned old ink pads that are still going strong, I can guarantee I have you beat. I have 2 PSX ink pads that are still juicy and we all know how long they have been out of biz.
Old 07-11-2019, 08:34 AM   #12
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoistracy View Post
My Spellbinder's Wizard is going strong since early 2008. It's one of the original purple machines with the ratchet-style handle. I still have the original cutting plates for it, too.

And, since a lot of you mentioned ink pads, I have the full set of Palette inks going strong, with only the black ever having been re-inked. I still use them all the time!

Does decorative paper count? I've been an avid collector since I started card-making almost 15 years ago and still have some collections mostly in-tact.

In fact, now that I think about it, many of my "staple" supplies are original, never replaced. My theory is- why spend more $$ on new when the old one is working just fine? Sure, it's not as pretty as others but that leaves me more $ for new goodies.
Yes, it all counts! I agree.
Old 07-11-2019, 07:49 PM   #13
Proud Fan Club Member

I have some of the Palette ink pads too; I wish they still made them! Although they might be, for a different company. Altenew's full-size ink pads are identical to the Palette ones. I'm talking about the containers. I don't have enough Palette inks to compare the quality.

A tip for white gel pens: when you buy them, they have that tiny blob covering the tip. Save that. It's what keeps them fresh on the shelf. Good luck finding it if you drop it, so I will say a tiny blob of polymer clay will work too!
Old 07-12-2019, 06:23 AM   #14
Die Cut Diva

I was peeking at something over here and saw this thread. I love it so much. I love good timeless classics.

My test of time is that little Making Memories piercer. CutterBee's microtip scissors. My homemade tools I made over the years. My store bought ones have been in the pile of shame.

Inks- Tsukineko Black Inks- Versafine, Memento, Brilliance & StazOn. My Versamark embossing pad. I never had to reink any of those. Stacy will hate me. My Marvy LePlume's. I still ink stamps with them to this day.

Hasn't stood the test of time- All those trend tools that went into the pile of shame.

http://www.pinterest.com/faerydreams
stampin stacy and shirlb19 like this post.
Old 07-12-2019, 06:29 AM   #15
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Quote:
Originally Posted by lylacfey View Post
CutterBee's microtip scissors...

Inks- Tsukineko Black Inks- Versafine, Memento, Brilliance & StazOn. My Versamark embossing pad. I never had to reink any of those.
Agreed! I love those CutterBee scissors and use them ALL the time to fussy cut things. Always get a sharp, straight edge.

My Versamark pad is going strong without reinking, too!
ChrisO and lylacfey like this post.
Old 07-13-2019, 06:15 AM   #16
Stampin' Fool

Quote:
Stacy will hate me. My Marvy LePlume's. I still ink stamps with them to this day.
Yep never gonna talk to you again... cause I think your crazy
lylacfey likes this post.
Old 07-13-2019, 10:01 AM   #17
Proud Fan Club Member

Dee Ann, I am still laughing at your term "pile of shame". Thanks for the smile this morning!

Shirl
lylacfey likes this post.