Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 07-18-2019, 11:38 PM   #41
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris4436 View Post
On the negative, I can't seem to use a gel pen more than a few times before it quits working. I think I've thrown out a landfill's worth, for sure. I do love them, so I bought a couple new ones and am hoping to keep the little blob on the tip to see if I can keep them going.

It sounds a bit gross but sucking hard on the end with the nib often equalises the pressure and gets it working again - you're not trying to suck ink out, just change the pressure in the barrel. I've done this loads of times and never got ink in my mouth!

My blog
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 07-19-2019, 02:35 AM   #42
Matboard Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelnorth View Post
I'm not sure why you think this. Brilliance inks are listed on the current Tsukineko web site, here and a quick Google search shows me loads of places selling them

Thank you very much for your post. I think what I meant was that they are discontinuing this ink and are not coming up with any new colors and haven't been for 10 years or more at least that's what I've been told by a local stamp shop who has since closed. We have many Amish shops in this area, as they enjoy stamping/die cutting/making cards, but at least half of them have closed too.
Old 07-19-2019, 04:34 AM   #43
Hardware Hotshot

I'm so glad I started this thread. I'm really enjoying all the replies, information, and helpful suggestions. Please keep 'em coming!
smadson, shirlb19 and kazooMI like this post.
Old 07-19-2019, 10:21 AM   #44
Matboard Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelnorth View Post
It sounds a bit gross but sucking hard on the end with the nib often equalises the pressure and gets it working again - you're not trying to suck ink out, just change the pressure in the barrel. I've done this loads of times and never got ink in my mouth!

The trick to keep gel pens working is to use them every day. It's the only thing that works, as far as I know. Just keep using them.
kazeka and PikkuLilla like this post.
Old 07-21-2019, 06:40 AM   #45
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debbie Koch View Post
I have several roles of Washi Tape that are a couple of years old setting on my shelf. The other day I went to use a roll and it was hard to peel it back. I found that the adhesive came off and was stuck to the roll. Disappointed
This is what I was just going to post! I buy only Doodlebug washi tape because I don't use washi tape all that often & their designs just make me smile when I look at them. I keep them on display on my desk for creative inspiration. Well I decided a while ago to start using my "VIP"craft items and the items I'm saving to use for a special occasion. And so much of my Washi Tape did this! I thought maybe it was only the brand. Doodlebug was amazing when I contacted them, but I decided in the end to simply keep them on display as I had been. Do others have this issues too with different brands and is there a way to avoid it?

And just to add to the thread too - My original green Cuttlebug circa 2005 is still going strong! I just love it. My Zots glue dots are still sticky after many many years too.

My epoxy always yellowed. It's no where near sunlight. Multiple bottles over the years just get tossed out. I've stopped by them altogether and instead use a product by SU i bought a few egos. I am blanking at the name, but the bottles were clear and I know a lot people use it as adhesive instead of that 3D clear raised look.

Last edited by Catherine773; 07-21-2019 at 06:49 AM..
PikkuLilla likes this post.
Old 07-22-2019, 08:32 AM   #46
Insane Embellisher

Hey y'all. It's been months since I posted any comments. I've been busy working in the yard, travelling and doing volunteer work. As we move into Fall, I'll be spending more time in my workshop cleaning, organizing for the holiday card making sessions.
I regret purchasing glitter, general stickers and 12x12 paper pads.
6x6 pads are my go to papers and that includes glitter cardstock. I do like the individual 12x12 sheets that have a variety of 3x4 cut out images and sentiments. Instead of peel and stick stickers I prefer chipboard embellishments and the peel-n-sitck stickers from Elizabeth craft.
I'm sure once I start cleaning up I'll find more things that I can do without and pass on.
lylacfey likes this post.
Old 07-22-2019, 09:02 AM   #47
Cardstock Collector

i have to say that my nuvo mousse is horrible! i purchased not even a year ago, and when i pulled it out again to use, dry dry dry. i threw it away. what a waste.

that being said, i am impressed with the amount of product that nuvo gives for gilding flakes. one container will last you a lifetime. and your children can pass it down to their grandkids. lol! same for the nuvo glitter. i bought some purple glitter about 3 years ago, i haven't made a dent in it.
pepperann and kazeka like this post.
Old 07-23-2019, 08:12 PM   #48
Rubber Obsessor

Definitely my three Tsukineko VersaFine inks - Onyx Black, Lagoon Blue and ~ Gray. Love them!
Old 07-24-2019, 10:59 PM   #49
Die Cut Diva

Quote:
Originally Posted by wavejumper View Post
Holds up very well:
My most versatile tool is an opened paper clip. I do a lot with it.
Yes, the trusty never lets you down paper clip. My paper clip is 25 years old. She is always by my side.Yes, I do remember that date. It was the year DH & I got married and he opened a paper clip for me so I could get my stuck Backstreet Boys CD out of the player. I was having a panic attack about it, lol.

http://www.pinterest.com/faerydreams
pepperann, fl_beachbum, kazeka and 2 others like this post.
Old 07-24-2019, 11:06 PM   #50
Die Cut Diva

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bohodiva View Post
Hey y'all. It's been months since I posted any comments. I've been busy working in the yard, travelling and doing volunteer work. As we move into Fall, I'll be spending more time in my workshop cleaning, organizing for the holiday card making sessions.
I regret purchasing glitter, general stickers and 12x12 paper pads.
6x6 pads are my go to papers and that includes glitter cardstock. I do like the individual 12x12 sheets that have a variety of 3x4 cut out images and sentiments. Instead of peel and stick stickers I prefer chipboard embellishments and the peel-n-sitck stickers from Elizabeth craft.

I'm sure once I start cleaning up I'll find more things that I can do without and pass on.
That is what I am doing right now is organizing paper. I took a break to peek at forums. Pattern paper are the little Gremlins you wonder "How has this stood the test of time?" Then you have the paper you wish "It would be timeless!"

My go to is 6x6 paper pads now. I love the 3x4, 4x6 journal card paper too. It is so cute and versatile.

I am separating all my paper into two piles. One to make my own ephemera, stickers, chipboard embellishments, etc. The other to turn into 6x6 and journal cards. No more pattern paper as a background. That is not standing the test of time for me. I just don't use it in the traditional way. I forgot I have a third pile of paper to make flowers with.

pepperann likes this post.
Old 07-25-2019, 06:32 AM   #51
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:
Originally Posted by lylacfey View Post
Yes, the trusty never lets you down paper clip. My paper clip is 25 years old. She is always by my side.Yes, I do remember that date. It was the year DH & I got married and he opened a paper clip for me so I could get my stuck Backstreet Boys CD out of the player. I was having a panic attack about it, lol.
Old 07-25-2019, 09:59 PM   #52
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by fifiwesfan View Post
I have to think about the best but the worst immediately came to mind because they irk me SO MUCH!

When scrapbooking was huge in the early 2000s, I bought everything - and have managed to complete a total of 4, yes 4, pages in all these years. All are of my niece and one was pix of her playing with one of those bubble making guns. SpongeBob was really big then (still?) and there was an episode about his 'Bubble Buddy'. I did the page in the 'Bubble Buddy' theme, I even made my own copy of the 'Bubbly Buddy' by meticulously hand-drawing him on and cutting him out of vellum. For dimensional bubbles I bought these embellishments: 1" clear adhesive semi-domes. I can't remember who made them or what they were called exactly. I was so proud of myself to get that page done. Well, in about 3 years time they totally yellowed and eventually browned. Now when you look at the page you can't figure out why these ugly dirty blobs are on the page. Every time I get the rare urge to add a 5th page I look at that one, get disgusted, and the urge passes. I HATE those freakin' blobs.

Oh my gosh, I HAVE some of those awful embellishments too. I have them still in the package and they yellowed so badly that I've decided that my only hope is to color them with alcohol ink. I adhered some over images that I colored with watercolor and/or dye ink markers and you can barely see the image through those yellow domes. I have them on my desk right now upstairs, and when I go up to bed I'll have to see who made them. what a disappointment those turned out to be.
Old 07-25-2019, 10:01 PM   #53
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapjanny View Post
I had the same problem with the Staz On white. Awful!

Yes, the Stazon white never worked for me at all. I wrote to Staz On and they said they would replace the ink pad if I sent it back to them. Wasn't worth the postage for me, since I knew the replacement wouldn't be any better. Lesson learned.
Old 07-25-2019, 10:05 PM   #54
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by joniworx View Post
Get some Un-du Adhesive Remover - your paper will be fine, the blobs will be gone, and your page will be saved. Promise!

UN-DO Adhesive Remover 4oz

I have to try this too, as my acrylic circle stickers also yellowed. I even have some Un-Do, so won't even have to go shopping. Thanks for the tip, let's hope it works!
Old 07-25-2019, 10:14 PM   #55
Polyshrink Goddess

How fun to read about the successes and failures of various tools and products over time. My Big Shot is about 7-8 years old, and I'm hoping it lasts as long as some of yours have. I held out on getting a die cut machine for years and finally ended up buying one on sale after I won several sets of dies in giveaways. Now it's my favorite tool, next to my paper trimmer. Other products that have lasted well are my Cutter Bee detail scissors that are probably about 10 years old.

Favorite inks are Stampin'Up ink pads that were some of the first that I ever bought. I even have a bunch of the original flip top style (the smaller size) that you had to store upside down. I bought reinkers and they just keep on going.

Products that were a big dud are some of my cheaper metallic ink pads, which just disintegrated, the older wood-mounted Anna Griffin stamps (the rubber part hardened to the point that they are useless), and some old clear stamps that turned into a sticky, melted mess.
Old 07-25-2019, 10:14 PM   #56
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Haha! Sounds like you need to frame that puppy!
lylacfey likes this post.
Old 07-25-2019, 11:13 PM   #57
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by acciowinnie View Post
i have to say that my nuvo mousse is horrible! i purchased not even a year ago, and when i pulled it out again to use, dry dry dry. i threw it away. what a waste.

that being said, i am impressed with the amount of product that nuvo gives for gilding flakes. one container will last you a lifetime. and your children can pass it down to their grandkids. lol! same for the nuvo glitter. i bought some purple glitter about 3 years ago, i haven't made a dent in it.

Oh yes, glitter lasts forever! I bought jars of the Anna Griffin glitter years ago and haven't even made a dent.
Old 07-25-2019, 11:16 PM   #58
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by fifiwesfan View Post
I have to think about the best but the worst immediately came to mind because they irk me SO MUCH!

When scrapbooking was huge in the early 2000s, I bought everything - and have managed to complete a total of 4, yes 4, pages in all these years. All are of my niece and one was pix of her playing with one of those bubble making guns. SpongeBob was really big then (still?) and there was an episode about his 'Bubble Buddy'. I did the page in the 'Bubble Buddy' theme, I even made my own copy of the 'Bubbly Buddy' by meticulously hand-drawing him on and cutting him out of vellum. For dimensional bubbles I bought these embellishments: 1" clear adhesive semi-domes. I can't remember who made them or what they were called exactly. I was so proud of myself to get that page done. Well, in about 3 years time they totally yellowed and eventually browned. Now when you look at the page you can't figure out why these ugly dirty blobs are on the page. Every time I get the rare urge to add a 5th page I look at that one, get disgusted, and the urge passes. I HATE those freakin' blobs.

Just went upstairs and looked at those packages of "clear" epoxy circles and some were made by Making Memories, and others are JoAnn Essentials. In the process of finding them though, I found a TON of different epoxy circles and squares called Tile Play, in all different colors. I can't believe I've been buying colored epoxy shapes when I had about 20 packages already tucked away.

Yes, I pulled them out and put them in a drawer right next to my craft desk so now I can use them. I'm going to try to color the yellowed epoxy circles to see if I can salvage though.
PikkuLilla likes this post.
Old 07-25-2019, 11:33 PM   #59
Die Cut Diva

Epoxy is evil, lol. A lot of epoxy yellows over time- Why Do Some Brands of Epoxy Resin Turn Yellow? – ArtResin

This dome thing is talked a lot about over at Scrapbook forums over the years. The girls will peek in their scrapbook to find the domes a yellow mess.

It's like a Golden Scrapbooking Rule- Epoxy domes yellow, Flairs Rust, Archival Glue becomes brittle. Even Glossy Accents yellows but not bad as the domes.

I bought some domes at Ebay that I think are made with UV Resin. Mine are still good after five years. I don't use them in scrapbooking. I don't use bulk in my memory books. I like to make cute pendants with them. The fast fun jewelry you don't care if it gets beat up over time.

kazeka likes this post.
Old 07-26-2019, 12:00 AM   #60
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:
Epoxy is evil, lol. A lot of epoxy yellows over time- Why Do Some Brands of Epoxy Resin Turn Yellow? – ArtResin

This dome thing is talked a lot about over at Scrapbook forums over the years. The girls will peek in their scrapbook to find the domes a yellow mess.

It's like a Golden Scrapbooking Rule- Epoxy domes yellow, Flairs Rust, Archival Glue becomes brittle. Even Glossy Accents yellows but not bad as the domes.

I bought some domes at Ebay that I think are made with UV Resin. Mine are still good after five years. I don't use them in scrapbooking. I don't use bulk in my memory books. I like to make cute pendants with them. The fast fun jewelry you don't care if it gets beat up over time.
Thank goodness I never used any of those epoxy stickers in my scrapbooks, but only on ATC's and altered pieces. I don't use bulk in my scrapbooks either and am doubly-glad about that as many products don't seem to hold up through time. I find it disheartening that the manufacturers who sold these epoxy embellishments didn't test them before putting them on the market. My epoxy stickers have been stored inside drawers in complete darkness over the years so I was shocked when I took them out and found they had yellowed so badly.
Old 08-02-2019, 10:47 PM   #61
Die Cut Diva

I was thinking of this thread the other day. I took out some of my embellishments that were clear and now they are yellow. I guess they were made from Epoxy. Epoxy is evil. A note to peek at your epoxy embellishment and see if there is a nightmare in the making.

Boss, cookie1031 and bjeans like this post.
Old 08-03-2019, 05:54 AM   #62
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:
I was thinking of this thread the other day. I took out some of my embellishments that were clear and now they are yellow. I guess they were made from Epoxy. Epoxy is evil. A note to peek at your epoxy embellishment and see if there is a nightmare in the making.

Dittos to what you said! And not only do they yellow over time, the edges tend to curl up on larger epoxy pieces. Knowing this, why haven’t I purged them from my stash?
Thanks for reminding me about these duds lurking in one of my embellishment drawers. Task for today is to pull them out and toss any/all that are yellowed and curled...and if I can make myself do it, put the rest in my Blessing Box that will go to the local goodwill store. Haven’t used them in YEARS!
Old 08-03-2019, 02:17 PM   #63
Proud Fan Club Member

Quote:

This is good to know. I have some and not used them much. I am just curious if they can be colored with a copic marker or some other color medium? of whatever color you would want and therefore could still use them?

Shirl
kazeka and synderella45 like this post.
Old 08-15-2019, 10:13 PM   #64
Polyshrink Goddess

Shirl,
I was thinking this as well and actually pulled out a sheet of the yellowed ones a couple of weeks ago with the idea of trying to color them with alcohol markers. Haven't gotten around to it yet, and I had to clean up for company so now I need to find those epoxy domes again!!
Karen
shirlb19 likes this post.