Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 07-07-2009, 05:32 AM   #1  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problem with Spellbinder Pendant Fleur De Lis

Morning!

I am wondering if anyone has experienced any problems with the above die not cutting proper....the top and bottom won't cut unless I rotate it 90 degrees...which I don't think I should have to do.

I have spoken with two individuals who have this die and have not had any problem whatsoever.

Spoke with Spellbinders yesterday and they feel because of the detail one has to rotate it 90 degrees.

I have tried cutting with the Wizard, CB, BS and Revolution and it will not cut.

Any help would be appreciated.

Joanne
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-07-2009, 07:56 AM   #2  
Splitcoast Gallery Moderator

Since the Pendant dies have so many intricate cut lines, the die does need to be rotated 90 degrees and run through the machine again. Since every machine is different, it might help to use a cardstock shim. Just start with one piece of cardstock, run your sandwich thru and see if that's enough. It may take more than one piece of cardstock.

Hope that helps.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-07-2009, 08:34 AM   #3  
Matboard Maniac

As Debbie mentioned, the Pendant dies and the matching Borderabilities are extremely detailed and intricate dies. Because of the amount of cut lines on these dies, some people may experience more difficulty cutting them than if they were cutting a circle Nestability for instance.

Each machine, each mat and each spacer plate have different amount of wear, which is normal, so not every die is going to perform in exactly the same manner on every machine.

I have all of the Pendants and Borderabilites and use them in my Wizard. Some of them I rotate 90 degrees and cut a second time, one of them I have to shim. To me, it is well worth having to do that because I know that I will not find this type of intricacy anyplace other than these dies and if that's what it takes to get the results I'm looking for, I'm good with that.

A suggestions for using them in the Wizard - if you have one of the rigid spacer plates try using that in place of the magnetic spacer plate. The addition of the more rigid surface under the die can sometimes make a difference. In a pinch you can remove the spacer plate entirely, place your die on the master mat, paper on top, the metal eyelet setting plate on top of the paper and the second master mat. This puts a really rigid surface against the cutting blade of the die.

I would also suggest using a 65 lb. cardstock for consistently good results. That not only gives you great cutting results, but also shows the intricacy of the embossing very well. You might even try spritzing your paper with something like Paper Glide which will loosen the fibers in the paper.

These dies may take a little extra effort, but when people demand more and want to see more intricate and detailed dies, that is what is needed to get the result you are looking for in some cases.

Cathy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-07-2009, 10:13 AM   #4  
Mad Swapper

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thank you for this explanation. I just bought the Fleur de Lis die but have not tried it yet. I will know to experiment before I let frustration set in.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-07-2009, 11:38 PM   #5  
Rubber Obsessor

Well thanks for the replies but my machine was defective and Spellbinders is replacing the wizard and the die but she did say I would have to still rotate the die...so now I just wait and see.

Thanks again everyone who took the time to reply. Appreciate it.

Joanne
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-24-2011, 04:00 PM   #6  
Cardstock Collector

Default Spellbinder not cutting properly

I am experiencing the same problem with the retangle lacey it is not cutting properly on one edge even after taking it through twice, so I asked at my local craft store and they made a suggestion of running the die through with tin foil rather like you would a punch, so I am going to give that a try.in your case I am surprised they did not offer to just replace the die just as a good jesture. I hope you find a resolve and I do to
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-24-2011, 08:02 PM   #7  
Hardware Hotshot

I don't have any problem cutting Fleur de Lis with one pass.

However, I have found that if my cutting mats (CB) are warped then the dies will not cut evenly. The entire mats are not coming in contact with the die
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-25-2011, 02:39 AM   #8  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

I had a problem with two of the dies in the accents set. Wouldn't cut completely through no matter how many shims, rotating, etc. etc. Wouldn't cut through regular copy paper, so I contacted the place I bought them from and they are supposedly sending me a new set.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-25-2011, 06:12 AM   #9  
Die Cut Diva

I have the same problem with my Fleur de lis die! I even bought the Grand Calibur hoping that if I used the die with the Spellbinders machine it would help. Nope. Still won't cut in one pass. Irritates the crud outta me, I have to say.

I can get it to cut without rotating if I emboss it after cutting. Some how, the embossing plate causes it to cut cleanly. :rolleyes:

Why can't things just work the way they're supposed to???

My brand new blog: Tinkering With Ink
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-25-2011, 07:37 AM   #10  
Matboard Maniac

As the public demands even more intricate dies, you will see this more often. Having to turn the die and run it through again doesn't seem like too much effort because I get the results I am looking for.

Each machine and set of mats is different due to normal wear and tear, so you may get different results with various dies. Even the slightest variation in mats and machine can cause this to happen because there can be little or no variance when you are manufacturing something with the intricacy of these dies.

Very often, going to the embossing step with these dies will finish the cut. The embossing mat actually forces the paper through the openings in the dies, thus completing the cut.

If it comes to a point where after shimming and turning the die you can't get copy paper to cut, I would return the die. It could be defective, which happens in any manufacturing process.

Cathy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-25-2011, 08:45 AM   #11  
Stampin' Fool

I had the same problem with the Fleur De Lis die when I first got it. But I also couldn't get it out of the die after it was cut. I came here and people suggested turning it and adding wax paper between the die and the cardstock or paper. Man oh man! That made all the difference in the world! I really don't mind running it through twice. But my poor Cuttlebug is getting older. I'm going to have to invest in another machine but it won't be a Cuttlebug this time.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-25-2011, 01:51 PM   #12  
Splitcoast Artist in Residence
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Mix-Ability Challenge Hostess

Received 1,120 Likes on 503 Posts

You're not alone... I am having fits with this set. Rotate it 90 degrees, 10 passes through the machine, shims and all... even a new cutting plate... there are still areas not cutting through.
Vincent Van Gogh

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-26-2011, 02:06 AM   #13  
Insane Embellisher

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Yup! Me too!

I luv the look of the fleur de lis. I thought I could just churn out many pieces. But low and behold, no such luck, i called spellbinders and they told me to use wax paper after turning 90 deg did not work. I got results from the wax paper, but still had to sit and pop out paper. Thank God waxed paper is cheap. I regret getting this die. Just too much work. This girl wants to have fun! There is another thread that addresses this issue.
Reply With Quote Likes