Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 08-08-2008, 12:03 PM   #1  
Compulsive Stamper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Prismacolor watercolor pencils - PLEASE HELP!

I know I have read a lot about these here and I bought some Prismacolor watercolor pencils. I am really dissapointed! The color doesn't seemt o pull well with my blender pens. Am I doing something wrong. Using them like I do my Stampin Up watercolor pencils and I think my SU pencils work better?? Help - I thought these Prismacolors were going to be better. I can't even take them back to Michaels because they are opened. Can anyone help me here? Thanks So Much!!!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-08-2008, 12:33 PM   #2  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

What kind of "blender pens" are you using?

These pencils will ONLY work with water. If by "blender pens" you mean aquabrushes, or other waterbrushes like Niji, then they should work fine. But the "blender pens" that have solution in them will not work here.

HTH
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-08-2008, 01:17 PM   #3  
Compulsive Stamper

Quote:

Originally Posted by tchkView Post
What kind of "blender pens" are you using?

These pencils will ONLY work with water. If by "blender pens" you mean aquabrushes, or other waterbrushes like Niji, then they should work fine. But the "blender pens" that have solution in them will not work here.

HTH
I was using blender pens! So use just water? I don't have aquapinters, so I can just use water and watercolor brush? What is Niji - is that like aquapainter? thanks for your help.

I also read somewhere that someone was using baby oil or Gamsol (odorless mineral spirits) to blend with. I can't find that post and can't remember if it was for use with watercolor pencils or markers? Anyone know??

Just trying out new things! Thanks for the help!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-08-2008, 01:24 PM   #4  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by mommyof3angelsView Post

I also read somewhere that someone was using baby oil or Gamsol (odorless mineral spirits) to blend with. I can't find that post and can't remember if it was for use with watercolor pencils or markers? Anyone know??

Just trying out new things! Thanks for the help!
Using OMS or baby oil for blending using Prismacolor Premier pencils (not watercolor). Also recommend using blending stumps or tortillions to blend. HTH!!

There are also great tutorials out there for blending with OMS - I'll post them here in case no one else jumps in before I can find all my links.

Here is Gina K's awesome tutorial - http://blog.ginakdesigns.com/2008/01...-tutorial.aspx

SCS Gamsol Magic - Tutorials at Splitcoaststampers

Last edited by qoedvc98; 08-08-2008 at 01:30 PM.. Reason: added links
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-08-2008, 09:52 PM   #5  
Compulsive Stamper

Quote:

Originally Posted by galeView Post
I've used Dove blending solution with watercolors before.
I don't know what Dove Blending solution is? Know where I can get some? I live in California - asked about Gamsol at Michaels and the girl had know idea what it was! I guess if they had someone that could have helped me a little better, then I would have been told to get the premier pencils and not watercolor. Oh well, live and learn
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-09-2008, 05:21 AM   #6  
Pearl-ExPert

I use St Up, Derwent, and Crayola (yes, Crayolas -- was suggested by SCS stamper that it is a good and inexpensive set) watercolor pencils with Stampin Up blender. Works well for me. I don't own any Prisma Watercolor pencils.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-09-2008, 08:36 AM   #7  
Forum Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 18 Posts

I do a lot of watercoloring and when I use watercolor pencils (not the wax pencils used with Gamsol) I create a pallette of color: using a piece of scrap watercolor paper, color onto the paper putting down a good amount of color, then using the watercolor pencil, wet a paintbrush or aqua painter, and pickup the color to apply to your stamped image.

I blend and create new colors by coloring differnt colors next to each other and with a wet paintbrush I blend them on the pallette. When you are finished, let the pallette dry and store with your watercolors.

The advantage of using the pallette is that I can adjust how much color I have on the brush by testing on a scrap piece of paper. Its resuable as the next time you want to use that color, just wet your paintbrush and start watercoloring. Also, if I blend a great color I don't have to remember how I did it because I'll have the pallette as a reminder.

I don't have good luck using a blender pen so I can't advise. HTH
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-09-2008, 10:04 AM   #8  
Compulsive Stamper

Quote:

Originally Posted by stamphappy1650View Post
I do a lot of watercoloring and when I use watercolor pencils (not the wax pencils used with Gamsol) I create a pallette of color: using a piece of scrap watercolor paper, color onto the paper putting down a good amount of color, then using the watercolor pencil, wet a paintbrush or aqua painter, and pickup the color to apply to your stamped image.

I blend and create new colors by coloring differnt colors next to each other and with a wet paintbrush I blend them on the pallette. When you are finished, let the pallette dry and store with your watercolors.

The advantage of using the pallette is that I can adjust how much color I have on the brush by testing on a scrap piece of paper. Its resuable as the next time you want to use that color, just wet your paintbrush and start watercoloring. Also, if I blend a great color I don't have to remember how I did it because I'll have the pallette as a reminder.

Thanks So Much! This is great information!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-09-2008, 11:16 AM   #9  
CBC Lady Violet

Received 42 Likes on 31 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by mommyof3angelsView Post
I don't know what Dove Blending solution is? Know where I can get some? I live in California - asked about Gamsol at Michaels and the girl had know idea what it was! I guess if they had someone that could have helped me a little better, then I would have been told to get the premier pencils and not watercolor. Oh well, live and learn
Gamsol is a brand name of Odourless Mineral Spirits. I bought mine at M's here in Canada, but it was called Sansodor. Your M's might have the same. If you want to try that blending technique for a little less money, try the Koh-I-Noor woodless colour pencils. You can get them at M's. They don't have as many colours (only 24) but they work well.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-11-2008, 12:52 PM   #10  
Crimping Master

Received 39 Likes on 12 Posts

Quote:

I want to be sure I understand you correctly.... you don't do any coloring with the watercolor pencil on your stamped image.... correct? You use the pencil to create a pallette and then a wet brush is used to paint your image from color gathered from your pallette? Do you ever color directly to your image and then wet the paper? Thanks for sharing your tips!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-11-2008, 02:39 PM   #11  
Gallery Gazer

If you are using watercolor pencils, you can 'paint' with them several ways. Scribble on scratch paper and pick up the color with a regular brush and water Or an aquabrush. OR you can color directly on the image then add the water. You'll get two different effects with each method.

If you have the regular colored pencils and want to use gamsol with good quality stumps you'll get an entirely different look again. Gamsol is just a trade name for Odorlss Mineral Spirits. At M's you can get the Mona Lisa brand of OMS.....I've used both and there is little difference between Mona Lisa OMS and Gamsol OMS>
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-11-2008, 06:49 PM   #12  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by annie*View Post
I want to be sure I understand you correctly.... you don't do any coloring with the watercolor pencil on your stamped image.... correct? You use the pencil to create a pallette and then a wet brush is used to paint your image from color gathered from your pallette? Do you ever color directly to your image and then wet the paper? Thanks for sharing your tips!
Yes, you are correct. I never was able to master getting the shading with coloring directly on my image so I stopped trying. Using the scrap paper pallette I much more control over the color and how much water. Glad my tips helped.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-11-2008, 07:21 PM   #13  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Yes, you are correct. I never was able to master getting the shading with coloring directly on my image so I stopped trying. Using the scrap paper pallette I much more control over the color and how much water. Glad my tips helped.
Sounds like you are making your own version of these... peerless transparent watercolors. Looks like fun to me. I need to try watercolor. I usually go to my Prismacolor pencils and Gamsol, but I'm ready to try new stuff.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-12-2008, 12:03 AM   #14  
Compulsive Stamper

Quote:

Originally Posted by qoedvc98View Post
Using OMS or baby oil for blending using Prismacolor Premier pencils (not watercolor). Also recommend using blending stumps or tortillions to blend. HTH!!

There are also great tutorials out there for blending with OMS - I'll post them here in case no one else jumps in before I can find all my links.

Here is Gina K's awesome tutorial - http://blog.ginakdesigns.com/2008/01...-tutorial.aspx

SCS Gamsol Magic - Tutorials at Splitcoaststampers
O.k. I think I get the idea. But, In Gina K's tutorial she mentions that even crayola pencils would work. My question is how do you tell if a colored pencil is a watercolor pencil or wax pencil? I know that like prismacolors it says "watercolor" on the box. For wax pencils will it say wax or is that all colored pencils that aren't watercolor pencils??? Thanks
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-12-2008, 04:33 AM   #15  
Die Cut Diva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

mommyof3angels.....If you are purchasing watercolor pencils, it will say it right on the box/tin. It will also say it on the pencil too. This will hold true for name brand pencils, but may not to off brands. The Prisma pencils (regular ones for coloring) just say Prismacolor on the pencil.

Prismas all say on the package and on the pencil what they are. So do the Derwent brand pencils of what ever variety.

Patti
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-12-2008, 04:55 AM   #16  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by csroyalView Post
Sounds like you are making your own version of these... peerless transparent watercolors. Looks like fun to me. I need to try watercolor. I usually go to my Prismacolor pencils and Gamsol, but I'm ready to try new stuff.
I have the Peerless papers and I just love them as the colors are so vibrant. My method for using them are to cutout a little square of each color and then I store them in little paintpots with lids. On the top of the lid I put a small square from a white address label. I then painted the color on the label so I can see what is in the pot. I also put a printed label with the color name on the pot. To use the color I either just touch the peerless paper with a wet paintbrush or I spritz the paper with some water. When I'm finished, I just cap the paint pot.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-12-2008, 07:39 AM   #17  
Gallery Gazer

My prismacolor pencil box says premier on it. An easy test....scribble....add water......color moves?.....watercolor pencil.......color doesn't move....regular pencil.
Reply With Quote Likes