Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 04-08-2015, 03:05 PM   #3401
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

According to this review...

Fantasia Premium (Review and Colors) by Peachfuzz on DeviantArt

...the Fantasia are similar to the Prismacolor Verithin line or to Crayola colored pencils. They would be harder and would not blend like the softer Prismacolor Premier line. However, they erase well and are less expensive.

As for understanding the differences between the different types of pencils, this is a good comparison...you might bookmark this page:
http://www.penciltopics.co.uk/page6.html
I'll stand with arms high and heart abandoned,
in awe of the One who gave it all.
I'll stand, my soul, Lord, to You surrendered,
all I am is Yours.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
auntangie and lovetostamp3 like this post.
Old 04-08-2015, 03:23 PM   #3402
Insane Embellisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalScrappinMama View Post
Anyone have any experience buying previously owned Prismacolor Premier Color Pencils
I stalk e-Bay all the time for used Prismacolor Premier Pencils. I really do not like the quality of the pencils since they moved the manufacturing and production out of the United States. I wouldn't buy a set of the new ones anymore. I do look for old ones that have little use and where most of the pencils are the same size. If the are a number of very short ones and the rest are all around the same size, I pass because it could mean that there are some pencils that have been dropped.

I do prefer the old Berol brand of Prismacolors - particularly if they are wrapped and unopened in the box. That way there is less chance that they have been dropped and the leads broken inside the barrel of the pencil.
Old 04-08-2015, 03:28 PM   #3403
Polyshrink Goddess

Thank you everyone for the responses. It looks like buy used holds a greater uncertainty about dropped pencils and internal breakage and the newer once are not as great in quality as the older set. Sad.
Old 04-08-2015, 05:37 PM   #3404
Insane Embellisher

You can't know what the lead is like in new Prismas either. I went to sharpen a new one for the first time and the lead broke about 4 times! I now have a 3/4 pencil that I haven't coloured with yet. I don't think the size of used ones means they have a lead problem as I have favourite colours that are now small because I have used them so much.
Old 04-27-2015, 05:57 PM   #3405
Polyshrink Goddess

I have a small set that belonged to my uncle who was an artist - probably about 40 years old... There is no comparison of the quality. Guess like so many products anymore! I haven't gone back through this whole thread but wondering what sharpeners are people having the most success with? I have 2 newer sets and have also had a lot of breakage.
Old 09-13-2015, 06:42 PM   #3406
Matboard Maniac

I have a little pencil sharpener that has the normal size opening for standard pencils plus an opening big enough for the fat pencils that kindergartners use. I use the fatter opening. It sharpens the lead, but the wood is shorter and wider so it supports the lead better and I find it doesn't break as often. I may sharpen my pencil a little more often, but it's because I'm using it and not just chewing it up with a sharpener.
Old 09-13-2015, 09:39 PM   #3407
Polyshrink Goddess

FYI. Not sure if I mentioned earlier on this thread but I plan to buy faber castell or caran d arche (sp?) when I have the budget. Too many other reviews on other websites and this thread raves about these 2 brands
Old 09-14-2015, 04:50 AM   #3408
Splitcoast Artist in Residence
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Mix-Ability Challenge Hostess

I love the FC pencils - the Lyra Rembrandt Polycolors are great too. Caran d'Ache is out of my price range.

If you hear a voice within you say you cannot paint,
then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced.
Vincent Van Gogh

lovetostamp3 likes this post.
Old 09-14-2015, 09:38 PM   #3409
Polyshrink Goddess

The caran d'ache are out of my price range too!!! That's why I like to create wish lists!
Old 09-20-2015, 12:47 PM   #3410
Inking Addict

ALERT! Caran D'Ache Pablo set of 120 at Jerry's Artarama after 20% additional off using code STUDIO20 is $229.75 with free shipping. Just ordered.
Old 10-14-2015, 07:45 PM   #3411
Compulsive Stamper

Like to give my two cents. I love the Georgia Pacific paper 110 lb from Walmart for watercolor pencils and regular colored pencils. I used the Faber Castell watercolor pencils but just bought the 132 count of Prismacolors. My question, which is off topic, is how do you store your pencils? I hate those plastic holders and want to make sure they are safe but don't care if they are kept by number but mainly by color family. I've seen boxes but you have to rummage through them and I've seen nice leather holders, but only for 120 pencils. Advice? Ease of access is critical to me. Thanks Sandy Parker
Old 10-16-2015, 03:46 PM   #3412
Polyshrink Goddess

So I don't have that many and I keep my pencils in a cigar box. But are you wanting to keep flat or upright? Keep on your desk or on shelf ?

When I get more I am hoping to buy these plastic holders. See the next post
Old 10-16-2015, 03:50 PM   #3413
Polyshrink Goddess

Oops I re-read your post and you didn't want plastic. Sorry.

Well I also once saw a video on YouTube where a person used a round spinning turntable and glued pic pipes and it went "up" in different levels - does that make sense ??? It had tiers... It was cute

But I can also attach a pic of how I keep my pens (it's not plastic)
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Old 10-16-2015, 03:54 PM   #3414
Polyshrink Goddess

Here is how I keep my pens. Markers etc
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Old 10-16-2015, 03:56 PM   #3415
Polyshrink Goddess

How did pic turn upside down? Anyway. Here I found a cute paper holder for pens / pencils
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Old 10-16-2015, 05:31 PM   #3416
Inking Addict

this is a metal storage for pens. It would probably work for pencils, too.
Pen and Ink Palace, Metal Maid, by Totally Tiffany

Or here is the marker nook---looks handy and sturdy.
Markers - Stamp-n-Storage
Old 10-17-2015, 09:33 PM   #3417
Compulsive Stamper

Default marker/pen storage

Here's how I keep my markers. Found this exact one from Organize More on ebay for much cheaper than sells for on their site, but absolutely love it for markers. I wanted to keep my pencils more transportable. My friend is a seamstress and said her little girl got a roll of material with elastic inside that you slide your pencils into and then roll it up and tie it. I've never seen anything like that online and didn't know if anyone else had either but would e perfect for what I want. I've found leather pencil holders but they won't hold the 132 that I just got. I really hope I'm not disappointed in the quality of these pencils. I have really good faber castell durer watercolor pencils and had heard prismacolor have the creamiest finish and not a waxy buildup..but I also heard about the lack of quality control..I'm crossing my fingers. Here's my marker storage. Marker Organizer

Again, I'm sorry if I did this wrong, I'm not really sure how to some of these things yet on the site.
Old 10-17-2015, 10:20 PM   #3418
Inking Addict

I have been eyes the tall storage for markers and love the one you put the link to. Couldn't find it on Ebay or Amazon; but there is a slightly smaller one that I think would fit in my space. Thanks for the link.
Old 10-18-2015, 03:39 AM   #3419
Stampin' Fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by slparker View Post
Like to give my two cents. I love the Georgia Pacific paper 110 lb from Walmart for watercolor pencils and regular colored pencils. I used the Faber Castell watercolor pencils but just bought the 132 count of Prismacolors. My question, which is off topic, is how do you store your pencils? I hate those plastic holders and want to make sure they are safe but don't care if they are kept by number but mainly by color family. I've seen boxes but you have to rummage through them and I've seen nice leather holders, but only for 120 pencils. Advice? Ease of access is critical to me. Thanks Sandy Parker
I had to replace my colored pencils, so I just re-ordered what I had my old ones stored in, which was the Global storage cases from Dick Blick. Since I got the full set of Prisma Artists pencils, I ordered the 120 case and a 48 case, that way I'll have plenty of room. I also have a set of FC Polychromos, and ordered just the one case for 120. I will see how that works and whether I will need another, since the set is a 120 set. I was really happy with the leather cases I had before, they were easy to use, and great for carting my pencils to classes. They provided wonderful protection. This time I purchased one leather one and one of the newer colors, looks like either a canvas or suede. Either way, I'm sure I'll be happy with them. The tins can be so bulky and take up more room when you're working.

Good luck with your decision.
Old 10-18-2015, 01:28 PM   #3420

I love the Global cases. If you have older ones, you'll notice that they've changed the design inside from 2 rows of elastic to 1 wider one. The canvas cases are nice too, and I like the price break. I really prefer the cases for the ability to put pencils in an order, and I like not losing smaller pencils - if you have an upright holder, the shorty pencils tend fall down inside (if you're like me and use them until you can't hold onto them any more!).

Vincent Van Gogh

lovetostamp3 likes this post.
Old 10-18-2015, 02:39 PM   #3421
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Quote:
Originally Posted by dini View Post
I like not losing smaller pencils - if you have an upright holder, the shorty pencils tend fall down inside (if you're like me and use them until you can't hold onto them any more!).
But that's when you get a pencil extender, Dina!
all I am is Yours.
dini, Anne Ryan and auntangie like this post.
Old 10-20-2015, 09:19 AM   #3422
Compulsive Stamper

Found this easel to store my new prismacolors and can't wait to get it. I think it will work great for me..portable yet stable.

Colored Pencil Easels - JerrysArtarama.com
Old 10-20-2015, 04:03 PM   #3423
Stampin' Fool

Quote:
Found this easel to store my new prismacolors and can't wait to get it. I think it will work great for me..portable yet stable.

Colored Pencil Easels - JerrysArtarama.com
I'd like to hear how it works for you, since it's open on the sides. Let us know how you like it, interesting.....
Old 10-21-2015, 01:54 PM   #3424
Compulsive Stamper

Default prismacolor storage

My nephew went to Art Institute and when I told him about wanting the pencil case, said I needed the pencil easel. I'd never heard of one, but then I'm pretty new to art. I'm really looking forward to getting it and will keep you all in the loop. I got an email that it's been shipped. I only found it at one site on the internet too.
Old 10-24-2015, 10:53 AM   #3425
Compulsive Stamper

Default prismacolor pencil easel for storage

Ok, so I did get my easels I ordered and didn't realize that in order to fit 120 pencils in the 120 pencil easel, I was required to put two pencils in each elastic loop. I have to be honest, some were a very tight squeeze, especially the ones on the end. I bought two of these, one for my Faber Castell Albert Durer watercolor pencil set and the other for the Prismacolors. I put all of the Faber Castell's in their case but am kind of concerned with trying to push the Prisma's into these tight spots since they are more delicate (at least that what you've been saying.) I'm afraid I may break either the pencil or the lead inside because you have to weave them under two sets of elastic banding. Any suggestions? Should I try or use the second easel for another set of pencils I own? I just don't want to risk breaking my new pencils.
Old 10-25-2015, 02:46 PM   #3426
Stampin' Fool

My cases from Dick Blick showed up; those also require more than two in the elastic straps. They too are tight, but should work fine, without any impact on the pencils. The only trick I found was putting the pencils in so I could still easily read the name, but not really an issue. Love having them in the cases, and glad I bought two for my Prismacolors (150), worked out great!!!! Now my cases are different colors as well, so I can tell which one I want to grab and use. Really happy with my purchase and these will be great to take for class or project days with friends.
Old 10-25-2015, 05:00 PM   #3427
Compulsive Stamper

Default Prismacolor pencil easel cases

I have to say that if I had known I needed to put two pencils in each slot, I probably wouldn't have purchased them. I decided to keep them though, because I have a Koh-I-Noor smaller set of pencils that allowed me to put one per slot. The other set of Faber Castell's is really tight in there and you are right, you can't see the information on the pencil and for me, too tough to remove from the elastic. I have a friend who is a seamstress that decided she would make me a pencil roll for my prismacolors with elastic for each pencil. I really was hoping the easel would be my answer though, because they are really nice and sturdy. I should have looked at the photos better to see that there were two pencils for each slot. Hope our information helps some of you though.
Old 11-28-2015, 07:23 PM   #3428
Cardstock Collector

I apologize for not reading all 86 pages but I have a quick question. Years ago I purchased a bunch of Prismacolor pencils and tonight I took them out of the plastic Rubbermade container I was using to store them and see that I have a set of 120 that are made in the USA and another set of 132 made in Mexico. Is there a difference in quality between the two? I tested both pencils to try to compare and it seems like the lead of the American made pencil breaks often. Am I doing something wrong?
Old 11-28-2015, 07:45 PM   #3429

Both sets will have breakage issues - it's just because the lead is soft, the wood catches in the sharpener, or possibly the pencils have been mishandled at some point (dropped, and broken in the core).

Quite a few people have complained about a drop in quality when the production moved to Mexico. I haven't had a problem with my Mexico pencils, so if anything, their results are inconsistent since moving.

Vincent Van Gogh

kitkat55 likes this post.
Old 11-28-2015, 07:46 PM   #3430

Ohh - welcome to Splitcoast, by the way! We're glad you're here (even though you didn't read all 86 pages... )

Vincent Van Gogh

Old 11-28-2015, 08:00 PM   #3431
Cardstock Collector

Quote:
Originally Posted by dini View Post
Ohh - welcome to Splitcoast, by the way! We're glad you're here (even though you didn't read all 86 pages... )

Thanks so much Dini. I'm happy to be here among other hoarders of crafting supplies. I have found my people!
dini, dillyb5 and Anne Ryan like this post.
Old 11-28-2015, 08:51 PM   #3432

Yesss! We are your tribe. Jump in! Let us know if we can help in any way! Be sure and sign up (on the left) for our Weekly Inkling newsletter for a new tutorial each week and links to challenges and hot topics on the site!

Vincent Van Gogh

fionna51, kitkat55 and RVA_TXN like this post.
Old 11-29-2015, 04:54 AM   #3433
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Welcome! You'll love being here!
all I am is Yours.
RVA_TXN likes this post.
Old 12-12-2015, 09:42 PM   #3434
Glitter Queen

Quote:
Hello, my name is Angie.
I'm new and this is one thread close to my heart. I LOVE my Prismacolors and have every pencil.. color that is.
I keep my pencils in a cutlery holder.. I like to keep them standing up so they're not 'dropped' in a tin or box and I keep this away from my cat because she pulls them out and throws them on the floor. Well she hasn't done that with my prismas but with other pencils I have. It's a great way to store them and you can see the colours easy as well.

regards... Angie
Anne Ryan and slparker like this post.
Old 12-13-2015, 04:59 AM   #3435

Hi Angie - welcome to Splitcoast! So glad you found us here. I'd love to see a picture of your holder - I love repurposing items for art supply storage! Right now I'm in the habit of rescuing vintage and handmade ceramics from the op shops (or thrift stores, as we call them here!).

Vincent Van Gogh

Old 01-28-2016, 07:36 PM   #3436
Matboard Maniac

Default Extended colors

I've looked through a bunch of the pages here and tried to search, but I haven't been able to get the search engine to show any results no matter how I word it. Anyway, I have the 132 set of Prismacolor pencils. Can anyone tell me the 18 additional colors that make it a set of 150? I have a great art supply store near me that I can get them open stock at a decent discount but I don't know what ones to get. TIA

Debi
Old 01-28-2016, 07:47 PM   #3437
Matboard Maniac

Default Extended colors

I've looked through a bunch of the pages here and tried to search, but I haven't been able to get the search engine to show any results no matter how I word it. Anyway, I have the 132 set of Prismacolor pencils. Can anyone tell me the 18 additional colors that make it a set of 150? I have a great art supply store near me that I can get them open stock at a decent discount but I don't know what ones to get. TIA

Debi
Old 01-29-2016, 02:47 AM   #3438
Glitter Queen

I've got a feeling I have more than 132. I shall check over the weekend and let you know what I have over the original set... Mind you, I purchased mine separately so I'll have to get a colour chart but I will do it. I also need to take a photo of the container I HAD them in... I've since changed again so I take photos of both.
I've been in so much pain since Christmas so I haven't been on top of things. I do apologise for being slow. hugs... Angie
Old 01-29-2016, 04:59 AM   #3439

Here's an article that lists the most recent color release:

https://www.facebook.com/notes/blick...0621279745874/

If you need a chart, mine is complete, with actually more than 150 pencils since it includes the neons and lightfast line that have been discontinued... maybe it will help you, though, to see what you have and need...

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Bw...kQ1Tk1Da2lqcG8

Vincent Van Gogh

Old 01-29-2016, 06:16 PM   #3440
Matboard Maniac

Thank you, Penny and Dini! I love my Prismas so much and I want to make sure I have them ALL! Dini, I really appreciate your posts. They're one of the main ways I learned to stamp and color.