Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 02-23-2020, 10:27 AM   #1  
Matboard Maniac

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Yet another thread on paper cutters

I have a Fiskars paper cutter with a rotary blade that I got at Michael's about 10 years ago. I'm not sure how exactly these things are supposed to behave. I usually have to run the blade back and forth a couple times to get a complete cut. Sometimes the cut isn't perfectly straight. I just replaced the blade so I know that's not the problem.

Also, I just started using a scoring blade for it. (I am taking an online class that requires a lot of scoring). It really needs to be run back and forth a lot to get a score you can see. Is this normal? Would I be better off with a scoring board?

What do you think? Is this typical? Can you recommend replacements if I need theM? Thanks!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-23-2020, 11:59 AM   #2  
Gallery Gazer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

I can’t speak to the Fiskars, but I use my Scor-pal for every card, every box, and occasionally for decorative lines. Desert island tool. Their small one (Scor-Buddy) is nice but the original, large one more versatile for me (I have both).

There was a 15% off sale on Valentine’s Day using LOVE15 but I don’t know if it’s still going on. You could email and ask if another might be coming and explain you weren’t looking for a scoreboard until now. SCOR-PAL : SCOR-PAL, Maker of Scor-Tape and Scor-Pal scoring board for making cards, envelopes and over 150 free craft projects
Small business, really nice owner. A long time ago a company used their design, which resulted in a lawsuit but that company had deeper pockets and the Scor-Pal owners gave up.

Also, Fiskars may provide assistance if you email or call. 

Just my take. 

Last edited by bjeans; 02-23-2020 at 12:58 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-23-2020, 12:55 PM   #3  
Matboard Maniac

Thank you very much, bjeans!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-24-2020, 02:18 AM   #4  
Die Cut Diva

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

I would start by saying that yes, a scoreboard would be a much better solution. Now to the cutting issue. I don't have this brand of rotary cutter, so what I'm saying now may or may not apply to yours.
Mine has a narrow cutting strip in the channel below the blade. I have to replace this every so often as it gets a groove worn in it from the blade, and then it's harder to get a decent cut. Mine are double sided so I can flip it once. Could this be your problem?

My cutter, showing position of cutting strip- arrowed- and a brand new strip.

The other pic shows the really worn side of my current strip, whicj I've just flipped in the cutter, to the new side.
Hope all this is making sense?

Last edited by shazsilverwolf; 02-24-2020 at 02:29 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-24-2020, 07:15 AM   #5  
Gallery Gazer

Your photos didn’t show up - forum has been so glitchy! But I bet you’re right - my Carl cutter is the same - flip and eventually change the cutting pad occasionally.

I forgot to mention benefit of a score board is that if scoring in more than one spot - say for decorative lines or a box - the paper stays tucked into the corner for all the scores. If making a box you’ll also turn the paper one 90 degree turn, but again it’s tucked into a corner so doesn’t move.

You’re not moving the paper for every score like you do with a paper trimmer. You just score at (make pretend), 1/2”, 2”, 3” etc. and the paper politely sits there.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-24-2020, 09:36 AM   #6  
Matboard Maniac

Funnily enough, last night when I cut some paper, it only took two passes to do it. It's like Michigan J. Frog. That said, maybe it is the groove. I just did a quick search and Fiskars does sell replacement strips. I'm at work so I'll check the model when I get home.

Thanks!

Quote:

Originally Posted by shazsilverwolfView Post

I would start by saying that yes, a scoreboard would be a much better solution. Now to the cutting issue. I don't have this brand of rotary cutter, so what I'm saying now may or may not apply to yours.
Mine has a narrow cutting strip in the channel below the blade. I have to replace this every so often as it gets a groove worn in it from the blade, and then it's harder to get a decent cut. Mine are double sided so I can flip it once. Could this be your problem?

My cutter, showing position of cutting strip- arrowed- and a brand new strip.

The other pic shows the really worn side of my current strip, whicj I've just flipped in the cutter, to the new side.
Hope all this is making sense?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-24-2020, 10:33 AM   #7  
Gallery Gazer

Sometimes the cutting wheel on rotaries should be changed too.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-24-2020, 01:05 PM   #8  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni
Demo Challenge Leader
Splitcoast Challenge Host

Location: South of Oklahoma, North of DFW Airport = North Texas!
Received 242 Likes on 129 Posts

Oh how I loved my first 'full-sized' Fiskars rotary trimmer of years ago! I didn't move on for a very long time.

It sounds as though you're having issues with a worn cutting strip/mat. Those must be replaced now & then when the cuts become fuzzy, i.e. not crisp. When the cut groove beneath the rolling blade gets even wider, the blade can wobble a bit, creating a cut that's no longer truly straight. Also be sure the blade is tightened  & not wobbling when you take a close look.  

Everyone wears the cutting strip at different rates, depending on the quantity of cuts made. Shift into mass-making for classes, etc., the need to replace becomes more frequent.

At the time, I'd use a coupon at Michaels to buy a replacement strip to have on hand. It became tricky to find replacement cutting mat strips when Fiskars changed the design to a style different than my cutter required.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-24-2020, 02:32 PM   #9  
Matboard Maniac

I just looked on the Michael's site, and you're right--I'll have to find a strip elsewhere!

Thank you!

Quote:

Originally Posted by TexasGrammyView Post
Oh how I loved my first 'full-sized' Fiskars rotary trimmer of years ago! I didn't move on for a very long time.

It sounds as though you're having issues with a worn cutting strip/mat. Those must be replaced now & then when the cuts become fuzzy, i.e. not crisp. When the cut groove beneath the rolling blade gets even wider, the blade can wobble a bit, creating a cut that's no longer truly straight. Also be sure the blade is tightened & not wobbling when you take a close look.

Everyone wears the cutting strip at different rates, depending on the quantity of cuts made. Shift into mass-making for classes, etc., the need to replace becomes more frequent.

At the time, I'd use a coupon at Michaels to buy a replacement strip to have on hand. It became tricky to find replacement cutting mat strips when Fiskars changed the design to a style different than my cutter required.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-24-2020, 06:16 PM   #10  
Stampin' Fool

Received 88 Likes on 33 Posts

Joann has them online only and Amazon carries also. I have this trimmer and only replaced blades and this cutting 'bar' once in 15 years.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-25-2020, 03:58 AM   #11  
Splitcoast Artist in Residence
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Mix-Ability Challenge Hostess

Received 1,122 Likes on 505 Posts

I have a larger old Fiskars desktop rotary trimmer - it sounds odd but I found I got straighter cuts when I put the trimmer on the floor and could get over it with straight-down pressure (rather than on a table top where I was pushing or pulling). Hope that makes sense!
Vincent Van Gogh

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-25-2020, 09:44 AM   #12  
Matboard Maniac

Well, I had no idea that the one in the cutter had never been turned and could be! So last night I turned it to an unused side and tested it and it is cutting much better!

Thank you all for your help! Now I just need to make a decision about the scoreboard.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-03-2020, 05:32 PM   #13  
Stampin' Fool

Received 88 Likes on 33 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by diniView Post
I have a larger old Fiskars desktop rotary trimmer - it sounds odd but I found I got straighter cuts when I put the trimmer on the floor and could get over it with straight-down pressure (rather than on a table top where I was pushing or pulling). Hope that makes sense!
Dina, I'm picturing an exercise work out..."Bend and cut...Bend and cut".
Not for me, I'm 73!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2020, 02:20 PM   #14  
Cardstock Collector

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a Fiskar's rotary cutter and I have bought replacement thingies on Amazon, 2 of them for around $15 Canadian. Hopefully you have the same cutter I do so here goes. If you look underneath, where that cutting "bar" is, you will see two small holes, one at each end. Just put the tip of a pen/pencil in there and push the bar up so you can grab it from above and turn it around. I turn mine 1/4 (they are like a square piece of hard rubber), park it back in and I am ready to go. I have had mine for probably 20+ years and have, so far, only had to replace that bar once so I still have a spare. Here is what I got, it does not say but there are two in the package: Rotary Trimmer 4-Sided Cutting Bar 12"-45mm: Amazon.ca: Home & Kitchen.
Reply With Quote Likes