Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 10-22-2009, 03:26 AM   #1  
Insane Embellisher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trying to decide between the Scor Pal & Enveloper

I mostly want something to make envelopes. Which would be the better choice, the Scor Pal (so I can do other things also) or just the Enveloper? The Enveloper is on sale online at Joann's for 14.99. Then I found this bundle for only $24.95. It's the Enveloper and the Top Score Board. How does it compare to the Scor Pal? Right now, I'm not real interested in making boxes, etc, but I'm afraid if I just get the Enveloper then later on I'll wish I'd gotten either the Scor Pal or Score Board.

Here's the link for the bundle:
http://crafterscompanion.com/scoreboardspecial.aspx

I was going to ask for this for Christmas, but I sure need to make envelopes before then. lol
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-22-2009, 04:36 AM   #2  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 52 Likes on 35 Posts

I have a Scor Pal (love it!) and my stamping buddy has the crafters companion (the entire "kit & kaboodle"). I like her crafters companion and it is easy to use. If I didn't already have my Scor Pal, I probably would have bought a crafter's companion too.

What I don't like about it, though, is that the envelope (according to their directions) is too big for an A2 card
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-22-2009, 05:54 AM   #3  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

I have both the Enveloper and the Scor-Pal. I love the Enveloper for making the envelopes with pointy flaps (instead of straight across). The tool is sized for European cards and papers so it can be tricky to figure out the proper size for your starting square and which lines to score on - there is a chart available on their website to help, but there are still some sizes that you just can't get. Once you've done that initial bit of figuring, though, the envelopes are very quick & easy to make. I have to say, I don't much care for the scoring tool that comes with the Enveloper and I usually use the tool from my Scor-Pal instead (a bone folder would work, too).

The Scor-Pal I don't use as much for envelopes, mainly because I like the pointy flap ones. It can be used for those, it's just a little trickier to line up than the Enveloper. The big advantage for the Scor-Pal is that you can make an envelope of almost any size (as long as it can be made from a 12x12 sheet of paper or smaller) and you can use it for so much more than just envelopes.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-22-2009, 05:56 AM   #4  
Die Cut Diva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hsmom69......There are lots of threads on this very subject. You might want to do a search and read those also.

I purchased the Scor-Pal about 2 years ago and find it to be tops over the Crafter's Companion, Enveloper and Top Score.

I also purchased the other 3 so that I could see for myself just what they were and how they functioned. I don't use them though, since they create things too large for the measurements I use here in the US.

Crafter's Companion, Enveloper and Top Score are based on European measurements. Scor-Pal is based on inch measurements. Therefore, the first 3 will yield a larger item. Their version of an A2 envelope is too large for a 4.25x5.5 (A2) card. Also, those tools do not have ruler measurements, only letters and words which I find to be a bit unclear.

The Scor-Pal is based on inches and has those measurements marked clearly across the top and side of the board. The Score-Mat is the same.

I feel the Score-Pal to be much more versitile. You can do anything on it for scoring since it has the ruler measurements on clearly on it.

The website is terrific for all kinds of projects, tips and how to's.

The Customer Service at Scor-Pal is great also. You can e-mail and ask questions and get a response very quickly.

I use their Score-Tape also.

These are my opinions and only you know your needs for the tools.

Patti
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-22-2009, 06:15 AM   #5  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by cbetView Post
I have both the Enveloper and the Scor-Pal. I love the Enveloper for making the envelopes with pointy flaps (instead of straight across). The tool is sized for European cards and papers so it can be tricky to figure out the proper size for your starting square and which lines to score on - there is a chart available on their website to help, but there are still some sizes that you just can't get. Once you've done that initial bit of figuring, though, the envelopes are very quick & easy to make. I have to say, I don't much care for the scoring tool that comes with the Enveloper and I usually use the tool from my Scor-Pal instead (a bone folder would work, too).

The Scor-Pal I don't use as much for envelopes, mainly because I like the pointy flap ones. It can be used for those, it's just a little trickier to line up than the Enveloper. The big advantage for the Scor-Pal is that you can make an envelope of almost any size (as long as it can be made from a 12x12 sheet of paper or smaller) and you can use it for so much more than just envelopes.

"Pointy" flap envelopes may be made with the Scor-Pal, too. It requires starting your paper in a diamond format on the Scor-Pal instead of straight. Easily done though.

Enveloboxes are easily made, too.

As far as the OP, tons of threads on this already and you will find supporters of each that are steadfast in their opinions. If you do a search of the forum you'll find loads of other threads.

I prefer the Scor-Pal for its versatility and ease of use.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-22-2009, 09:03 AM   #6  
Stazon Splitcoast

Another vote for Scor Pal. It is sooooo versatile.
blessings.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-22-2009, 09:45 AM   #7  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

"Pointy" flap envelopes may be made with the Scor-Pal, too. It requires starting your paper in a diamond format on the Scor-Pal instead of straight. Easily done though.
True - but not easily done if you need a 5 1/2" or 6" square envelope, which I use a lot. The Scor-Pal is only 12" long, and the diagonal needed for those envelopes is too long to line up the points. The Enveloper handles that size easily. (And to do a 6" square envelope with 12" paper and a straight flap, you need to do it in multiple pieces to get the flap to overlap and close.)

To the OP - if you choose to get the Enveloper, you will end up wishing you had a scoring board as well. The "fence" to line your paper up against is angled. It's really a one-trick pony as far as tools go. Works great for making pointy-flap envelopes, but that's really all it does.

If I was buying only one, I'd go with the Scor-Pal.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-22-2009, 09:47 AM   #8  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by cbetView Post
True - but not easily done if you need a 5 1/2" or 6" square envelope, which I use a lot. The Scor-Pal is only 12" long, and the diagonal needed for those envelopes is too long to line up the points. The Enveloper handles that size easily.

To the OP - if you choose to get the Enveloper, you will end up wishing you had a scoring board as well. The "fence" to line your paper up against is angled. It's really a one-trick pony as far as tools go. Works great for making pointy-flap envelopes, but that's really all it does.

Ahhh, but that is when the Scor-Mat comes in handy. Continue the existing line by butting the mat to the bottom of the board. The scores don't need to go the length of the board so it works really well. I have my own templates for square envelopes from 3" square all the way to 6" square, regular and box style.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-22-2009, 10:10 AM   #9  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by 11Valerie11View Post
Ahhh, but that is when the Scor-Mat comes in handy. Continue the existing line by butting the mat to the bottom of the board. The scores don't need to go the length of the board so it works really well. I have my own templates for square envelopes from 3" square all the way to 6" square, regular and box style.
{Headsmack} Why didn't I think of that! You don't even want to think about the contortions I went thru with a ruler trying to get it to work. Never even thought about using my mat
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-22-2009, 10:58 AM   #10  
Insane Embellisher

Send a message via Skype™ to jeannie barron

I love my score pal!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-22-2009, 01:41 PM   #11  
Insane Embellisher

So where's the cheapest place to buy the Scor Pal? Do they have them at Joann's or Michael's? I'd love to have it before Christmas but not sure if I'll be able to. If not, it'll go on my wish list. ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-22-2009, 02:14 PM   #12  
Insane Embellisher

So now I look on Joann.com and they have the Crafter's Companion on sale for $44.99 with an additional 10% off. So I could have it delivered to my door for $48.44. That's a really good deal, isn't it? I'm going to a Joann's this weekend (there isn't one close to where I live). I wonder if it would be on sale there also.
I just really can't decide which to get. I thought I'd go with the Scor Pal but then I read more posts and found that a lot of people like the CC better. Decisions, decisions.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-22-2009, 02:31 PM   #13  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by hsmom69View Post
So now I look on Joann.com and they have the Crafter's Companion on sale for $44.99 with an additional 10% off. So I could have it delivered to my door for $48.44. That's a really good deal, isn't it? I'm going to a Joann's this weekend (there isn't one close to where I live). I wonder if it would be on sale there also.
I just really can't decide which to get. I thought I'd go with the Scor Pal but then I read more posts and found that a lot of people like the CC better. Decisions, decisions.
I'm not so sure about that, but you need to make the decision that is right for you. More stuff is not always necessarily better. As far as JoAnn's or Michaels carrying the Scor-Pal, they do not. Archiver's does though. And plenty of online stores and brick and mortar stores.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-22-2009, 06:55 PM   #14  
Glitter Guru

Received 369 Likes on 219 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by hsmom69View Post
I have the Top Score Multiboard and the Enveloper (by Crafter's Companion), and they are perfect for me. I've made some gorgeous cards, envelopes, boxes, and more. There might have been a few kinks to work out in terms of measurements, but I didn't see them as a big deal. They were easily fixed.

Many people are die-hard Scor-Pal fans too, with their own reasons for preferring this tool.

I think the best thing you can do to make an informed decision is to watch some videos of projects using both, and see which one you think would suit your needs better. If possible, see if you can try before you buy. (I know this might not be an option.) Good luck in making your decision, and enjoy whichever tool you choose.

Last edited by Scrapjanny; 10-22-2009 at 06:58 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes