Splitcoaststampers

Splitcoaststampers (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/)
-   Tool & Product Talk (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/tool-product-talk-f128/)
-   -   Ribbons- there must be more than knot or bow? (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/tool-product-talk-f128/ribbons-there-must-more-than-knot-bow-t501471.html)

tootsie roll 08-05-2010 02:23 PM

Ribbons- there must be more than knot or bow?

I'm pretty much a one trick pony when it comes to adding ribbon to cards- knot or bow. Please help me find some new ways to add ribbon to cards.
Thanks!

Beedubya 08-05-2010 02:41 PM

Here's few. I'm a ribbon freak.

MVSN- Canada, eh? by Beedubya - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers
MVSN-Trendy Nature-Beedubya by Beedubya - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers
DTGD-Orange Broadsheet by Beedubya - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers
DTGD- Wonderful Gala by Beedubya - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers
DTGD- Inspired by Ribbons by Beedubya - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers
DTGD- Tiny Owl by Beedubya - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers

Ok, that's enough...LOL!

marthur 08-05-2010 03:59 PM

I love your ribbons. I have soooo many. These are great ideas. Perhaps I can even manage to reduce my stash (before I buy some more . . .)

Megan

Lola G. 08-05-2010 04:36 PM

Thanks for posting these lovelies, Brandi. Now if I can only figure out how you did some of them............

jeanstamping2 08-05-2010 04:49 PM

I think sometimes we all get into a Rut. Have you tried using your ribbon to make a Flower?

How about using the ribbon to hang something on your card.

Home Sweet Home

Happy Garden

Taylor Dies sneak peak

Of course these aren't mine. But they are just to show how to use the darn ribbon we all love to have and use.

Karenwhite 08-05-2010 05:45 PM

Wow, thanks for sharing these super pictures of great cards with fantastic ideas.

NikiE 08-05-2010 06:17 PM

I also love the look of buttons in the centers of the knots or bows like these:
spring wishes by NikiE - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers
birthday wishes by NikiE - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers

Here are a few other ways that I've used ribbon:
little cutie pie by NikiE - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers
whimsical birthday by NikiE - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers
vintage daffodils by NikiE - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers
with gratitude by NikiE - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers
Daisy love by NikiE - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers
birthday wishes by NikiE - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers

I'll definitely be keeping an eye on this thread. I love new ideas for using ribbon. :grin:

CAKath 08-05-2010 08:05 PM

Ribbon!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lola G. (Post 17123338)
Thanks for posting these lovelies, Brandi. Now if I can only figure out how you did some of them............

Holy Schmollie! You are super talented. Not only are you innovative with ribbon the rest of the cards are really amazing. Thanks for the inspiration.

tootsie roll 08-05-2010 08:25 PM

Beedubya and NikiE thank you so much for sharing your amazing cards- you both have great examples of unique ways to use ribbon.
NikiE how did you make this one? Did you actually get the ribbon through the holes?
Beedubya I love how you put the brads through the ribbon. Great idea! Thanks!

Stampingmathilda 08-05-2010 10:36 PM

I love this shabby flower, made from fabric and ends of ribbon:
Deze is ook leuk!: Shabby Flower Tutorial
Some fiddling on the kitchen table: Shabby fabric flower

Cook22 08-05-2010 10:55 PM

Heating it with a heat gun, if you do vintage cards:
This one is a combined flower as suggested above with a heat gun to crinkle the ends.
Narrow ribbon, big button
Ribbon Frame (instructions in TLC212)

With the lists above being posts to cards rather than ideas, I just don't have time before work to check if I am making double suggestions. Green ribbon, not to wide, makes a great stem for a big flower.
And I also don't have time to find the cards I am looking for in my gallery, but it looks great threaded through some of the lacier punches, or the scallop borders with eyelet holes in them.
I'll be back after work to check out some of the other links above :D.

StampyCrafty 08-05-2010 10:58 PM

Wonderful use of ribbon. Very creative.

mnfroggie 08-05-2010 11:06 PM

Wow, you ladies have a lot of amazing ideas for ribbons! Thanks so much for sharing what you have done.

I am very guilty of getting in a rut with ribbon, too. I hardly ever do anything different, but here are a couple of things that I have done.

Magic Woven Ribbon Border

Ribbon Tree

Ribbon Tabs

Also you can make ribbon frames. I don't have a card of my own that is good example of this, so I did a search and here are the results.

Also, another thing that you can do is lacing. I haven't done that but here are a couple from my favorites.
Lacing example 1
Lacing example 2
Lacing to make a shoe shaped card

identicaltriplets 08-06-2010 01:59 AM

I did a post in 2008 about 101 uses for ribbon. You can find the info and link here. :)

kinglake 08-06-2010 04:05 AM

wow great cards!!! thanx for sharing xx jo xx

LaLatty 08-06-2010 05:54 AM

Here are a few of my cards in which I used ribbon a little differently:

Inspired By Nature Cattails by LaLatty - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers

CAS41 Mediterranean White Flower by LaLatty - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers

LSC254 Loving Hearts by LaLatty - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers

FS180 Birthday Flower Squares by LaLatty - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers

Thank You Daisies by LaLatty - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers

Kindness Flower by LaLatty - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers

purplewinkle 08-06-2010 05:56 AM

Wow, I am inspired. Great thread.

Beedubya, you are amazing with ribbon.

And NikiE I love how you put a tiny bit of ribbon in a button. How cute is that?

Here are the ones I did:

Ribbon Yo Yos by purplewinkle - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers

Pocket Thanks by purplewinkle - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers

PH in VA 08-06-2010 06:34 AM

Here are some different things I've done with ribbons:

layering: Bright Kite by PH in VA - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers
weaving: CC171 friend by PH in VA - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers
tying through hardware: Happy Purrthday #2 by PH in VA - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers
just a little embellie: CAS 44 - thank you for being you by PH in VA - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers
another little embellie: life is a (challenging) journey by PH in VA - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers
the ruffles that turned into pleats: Happy Birthday, MIL by PH in VA - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers
putting scraps to use: summer days by PH in VA - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers

NikiE 08-06-2010 07:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tootsie roll (Post 17124324)
Beedubya and NikiE thank you so much for sharing your amazing cards- you both have great examples of unique ways to use ribbon.
NikiE how did you make this one? Did you actually get the ribbon through the holes?
Beedubya I love how you put the brads through the ribbon. Great idea! Thanks!

Thank you! I was able to tie the ribbon through the button. The holes were a pretty good size on that button.

LeisaJane 08-06-2010 07:07 AM

My mom made this gorgeous baby card...love how she added the ribbon!

Carey's Baby Card

95% of the time I tie a simple knot or bow, too. But I did it a little differently on this card...

Monochromatic Magic Daisy

LeisaJane 08-06-2010 07:19 AM

Or you could twist two colors together, like this....

Trio of Tulips

Julie in Indy 08-06-2010 07:35 AM

subbing!

jaydeestamping 08-06-2010 11:43 AM

Brandi
awesome cards! AND you have inspired me to go try some new things with all that ribbon I have.
THANK YOU!
hugs
jaydee

mouseprints 08-06-2010 12:55 PM

Wow, all your cards are great. My ribbon idea might be simple compared to yours, but I like the look of this and it works on "boyish" cards. It kind of looks like a bowtie. (sort of lol)

Baby Boy card

bound4london 08-06-2010 05:02 PM

Oh you are all so so talented. Signing up for the thread so I can come back when I have more time to read and look and enjoy--what I have seen so far in the few links I had time to check are amazing!!!

Tenakee 08-06-2010 05:51 PM

Subbing too - such neat ideas and beautiful cards!

mcfly_junior_88 08-06-2010 06:28 PM

I rummaged through the $1 ribbon bin at Michael's today just to play in an attempt to create something as beautiful as these examples!! :)

Beedubya 08-06-2010 06:29 PM

Thanks for the love, ladies! Great cards posted here...keep them coming! I have a ribbon scrap stash that is threatening to get up and walk so I'm totally loving this thread!

creatingisfun 08-06-2010 06:54 PM

I did these flowers, by twisting the ribbon and using heat gun.
vintage tags by creatingisfun - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers

and also this one
Fathers Day by creatingisfun - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers

Krafty*Kate 08-06-2010 07:04 PM

Such *great* ideas on this thread. Thank you all for sharing your creativity and giving new life to my many, many, many rolls of ribbon!! ;)

Hartvillestamper 08-06-2010 08:07 PM

This is a recent card I added to my gallery. I'm not sure exactly what the technique is called {Maybe ruffled ribbon?}. Anniversary Love Birds by Hartvillestamper - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers

stampincrazyjen 08-06-2010 08:39 PM

I love everyone's cards! Thanks for sharing. :)

Beedubya 08-06-2010 09:14 PM

My friend Renée does some wicked awesome stuff with ribbon...here's a few tutes on her blog:

Stamping for Sanity: Tutorials

JoBear2 08-06-2010 10:02 PM

subbing

asbrewer 08-07-2010 06:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NikiE (Post 17123922)

Nikie, I just spent some time in your gallery and all I can say is AMAZING!!! Where have you been hiding?! :) I didn't comment on many b/c I didn't know if you would see them, but I did favorite a TON! Thank you for making me aware of you wonderful work!

asbrewer 08-07-2010 07:28 AM

Thanks for all the suggestions and beautiful examples and links!! You guys are so talented!!! You have all inspired me to try some new things out w/ all the ribbon that I have been hoarding away!! :)

isewquilts2 08-07-2010 10:23 AM

subbing because y'all are so freaking TALENTED

isewquilts--also a one trick pony with ribbon!

LibbyWaterman 08-07-2010 10:29 AM

REALLY!!! I am hosting a Ribbon Flower swap now.......follow the link below it is super fun and there are tutorials if you have never tried one!!! The possibilities are ENDLESS!! Come check it out everyone!!

~Libbys Ribbon Flower Swap~

JoBear2 08-07-2010 05:23 PM

Wow - so many fantastic ideas!!

Gosh, I hadn't realise how many different ways you can use ribbon - I'm pretty much a one-trick-pony too.

One thing that I do quite a bit, but isn't anything fancy - it's just to add a bit of interest, is add a little scrap of ribbon in a different colour when I am tying a knot. Is good for using up little scraps that I just can't seem to throw away!! See my two examples here:

Woof! Here's a gift for you!
Vintage Peaceful Wishes

Thanks everyone for all your fabulous ideas!!

RIRed2 08-07-2010 09:27 PM

This is a great thread..