Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-24-2012, 11:43 PM   #1  
Embossing Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need to buy a new printer

Hi all,

Looks like my old HP Printer bit the dust and was looking to get recommendations for a new printer. I'm just getting into digi stamping and wondered what printer all of you use to print your images.

Took a look at 3 models:
1. Epson Workforce 845
2. cannon Pixma MG5320
3. HP Officejet 8600

Does anyone out there have any of these models, and wouldn't mind sharing their experience with them? And are they good for printing digital images on cardstock (67 - 110 lb weight). Thank you in advance for your help.

LT
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-25-2012, 02:36 AM   #2  
Hardware Hotshot

I have an HP 6500 All in One and it takes card stock and everything I want to print on . Plus the ink doesn't smear with digis

I knew what I wanted in a printer so I went through the "HP Pre-Purchase feature." It is free and there is no obligation to buy.
Reading all the specs to find what I wanted just got too complicated

Go to the HP site and find the Pre-Sale link.

I told them I wanted to print on heavy cardstock and also to be able to print on vellum. I wanted individual color ink cartridges that it would keep printing even it one color was out . I also want a printer that would use the extra large ink cartridges.

They recommended this one. I bought it directly through HP and the shipping was free.
I am very pleased with it . I have had it about 1 & 1/2 years

Plus I buy my ink from HP too . They ship free next day and I got a 15% discount on all of my ink after my first purchase. Their ink cartridges last much longer than my old Epson did.

My Epson & my Canon were very thirsty printers and would not print if one color was out. Also it would prompt it was out and even if there was still ink in the cartridge it would not print. My HP keeps printing until the copies are faint or unreadable

Another bonus with my printer is the Print Head is replaceable so when it goes I don't need to buy a whole new printer. I can buy just the Print Head from HP. The Print Head is what generally goes on a printer. It came separate in the box and it just slips into a slot. Saves the landfill!!

Just for reference I don't know anyone who works at HP

Last edited by Barbara Jay; 01-25-2012 at 02:40 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-25-2012, 02:43 AM   #3  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

My Epson Workforce won't take any thick paper without a lot of trouble, I think you can scratch that one off your list if you plan on using cardstock at all.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-25-2012, 02:57 AM   #4  
Hardware Hotshot

I should have said my printed digis don't smear when I use Copics. I have never tried using water based markers on them. Water based markers and I don't get along well :(
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-25-2012, 08:43 AM   #5  
Embossing Fanatic

Thank you Barbara and Katarina for your help. I will scratch the Epson printer from my list.

Lt
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-25-2012, 08:51 AM   #6  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

If you want an inexpensive printer that works very well, I recommend this one. I got mine at Walmart and have been very pleased with it. It has a top loading paper rack, so you can print on cardstock easily. I have been very pleased with mine.

If your Walmart doesn't have it in stock, I think you can ship it site to store for pickup free:

Canon Office MX360 All-In-One Multifunction Printer ? Walmart.com

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-25-2012, 05:21 PM   #7  
Embossing Fanatic

Is it better to get a printer where the paper is fed through the back in a straight line through the printer vs one that is fed from below where the cardstock would have to do a "U turn" so to speak before it gets printed. Hope this makes sense.

I noticed that most of the HP printers have the paper feed tray from below.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-28-2012, 05:56 AM   #8  
Stampin' Fool

I have the epson 635 worforce and love it. I have printed on Stampin up paper. My digi stamps never smear. Good luck,
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-28-2012, 08:15 AM   #9  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Little69View Post
Is it better to get a printer where the paper is fed through the back in a straight line through the printer vs one that is fed from below where the cardstock would have to do a "U turn" so to speak before it gets printed. Hope this makes sense.

I noticed that most of the HP printers have the paper feed tray from below.
I think folks who have printers where the paper has to go inside and make a "U turn" have problems with the paper jamming a lot. The printer I use, a Canon MX360, has a top loading paper rack in the back of the machine, so the paper feeds through almost flat and out the front. I have never had a problem with paper jamming.

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-28-2012, 08:26 AM   #10  
Embossing Fanatic

Thanks for everyone's help.

Lt
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-01-2012, 04:38 AM   #11  
Glitter Queen

I bought an inexpensive Brother DCP-J125 that is perfect for digis and the ink is Brother LC61 Series. The cartridges are individual and last forever. I just replaced my first (yellow) and have had this printer about two months or so and I print ALOT. The rest are still the starters that come with it. Just be sure to buy genuine ink, I know there are some generics out there, for alot less. but I wouldn't take the chance. I love digis!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-01-2012, 04:40 AM   #12  
Compulsive Stamper

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barbara JayView Post
I have an HP 6500 All in One and it takes card stock and everything I want to print on . Plus the ink doesn't smear with digis

I knew what I wanted in a printer so I went through the "HP Pre-Purchase feature." It is free and there is no obligation to buy.
Reading all the specs to find what I wanted just got too complicated

Go to the HP site and find the Pre-Sale link.

I told them I wanted to print on heavy cardstock and also to be able to print on vellum. I wanted individual color ink cartridges that it would keep printing even it one color was out . I also want a printer that would use the extra large ink cartridges.

They recommended this one. I bought it directly through HP and the shipping was free.
I am very pleased with it . I have had it about 1 & 1/2 years

Plus I buy my ink from HP too . They ship free next day and I got a 15% discount on all of my ink after my first purchase. Their ink cartridges last much longer than my old Epson did.

My Epson & my Canon were very thirsty printers and would not print if one color was out. Also it would prompt it was out and even if there was still ink in the cartridge it would not print. My HP keeps printing until the copies are faint or unreadable

Another bonus with my printer is the Print Head is replaceable so when it goes I don't need to buy a whole new printer. I can buy just the Print Head from HP. The Print Head is what generally goes on a printer. It came separate in the box and it just slips into a slot. Saves the landfill!!

Just for reference I don't know anyone who works at HP

This is the printer I have also and it prints on everything.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-01-2012, 06:43 AM   #13  
Glitter Queen

I am into photography as well as greeting cards and I have the Canon Pro 9000. The printer and the ink are both relatively expensive but it is without question the very best printer I have ever used...and I have been through quite a few!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-01-2012, 02:03 PM   #14  
Embossing Fanatic

Does this printer also print on photo paper? I also do a lot of scrapbooking.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-01-2012, 02:17 PM   #15  
Die Cut Diva

I did almost the same question around Christmas time and here is the thread I started with more answers

HTH

the best digi printer by franb63 at Splitcoaststampers
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-01-2012, 05:33 PM   #16  
Kookie Creator

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

I have an older Canon Pixma all in one. I have always been an HP girl. I just LOVE my Cannon. It makes beautiful scans of my cards and I do a lot of digis with it. I put all kinds of paper in it and it takes it all! I highly recommend it. Also, their customer service is very good!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-02-2012, 12:10 AM   #17  
Embossing Fanatic

Just an update, I ended picking up the Cannon MG5320. was on sale this week at bestbuy for $100. Not too bad. I have printed out just a fedw images and so far so good. It has a straight paper path in back and a regular paper tray below. Also 5 separarte inktanks.

This will be my first Cannon printer so wish me luck!

LT

Thanks once again to everyone for their input.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-02-2012, 12:30 AM   #18  
Kookie Creator

Bugga,
I have a Printer ( HP Black & White ) like you mentioned ( the paper has to go up into the printer and then OUT ....

I haven't had problems with it in the 4 yrs I have had it, and I USE IT A LOT...and I am still on the FIRST CARTRIDGE for it, as hard as that seems, it is true.
Looking for a COLOR PRINTER that I don't have to replace color cartridges all the time.....I had a Epson ( I think it was a 6600 ) and this thing ate INK I swear....( the little ink monster !!! LOL!

I have just purchased SU! My Digital Studio FREE TRIAL 30 day download.... (and it is COMPLETELY FREE....believe me ! ) and so far I am loving it !!
Yay ! SU!!! I probably will use SU! Printing services for special items,but for everyday things, I would like to get another color printer......and I am seriously looking. I have decided that it would be cheaper to replace the Epson that I have, rather than spend the $$ for the 5 cartridges it needs....

Thanks for the input

Redcaboose1717
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-02-2012, 05:41 AM   #19  
Kookie Creator

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts
Thumbs up

Quote:

Just an update, I ended picking up the Cannon MG5320. was on sale this week at bestbuy for $100. Not too bad. I have printed out just a fedw images and so far so good. It has a straight paper path in back and a regular paper tray below. Also 5 separarte inktanks.

This will be my first Cannon printer so wish me luck!

LT

Thanks once again to everyone for their input.
I think you made a good decision. I love mine and I am sure you will love your's also!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-03-2012, 05:04 AM   #20  
Compulsive Stamper

I'm going through the same process. Our over five year old Canon ip3000 is out of ink and rather than spend $40 to replace the cartridges we're looking to upgrade printers, go wireless, get an all-in-one.

I looked at and really like the Canon MG5320 - dual paper paths seems to be a rare feature. I like having regular paper in the bottom and use the direct path for card stock and other specialty paper as needed. All the reviews I read were generally favorable, but noted the ink costs were a bit high.

But I think I'm going to get the Kodak ESP 2170. For the same price as the Canon, it adds in fax capabilities, and every review crows about its low ink costs. But I've seen lots of bad user reviews, so I'm not sure if there's a quality problem on the production side, lots of people just don't know what they're doing, or if Windows is still a world of hurt (I use a Mac). I plan to get it and print like mad for the first few weeks.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-03-2012, 10:45 AM   #21  
Rubber Obsessor

You might want to consider whether you can print on small/oddsize paper and cardstock as well. I like to do recipe cards & have done envelopes. Not sure what model HP printer. Laser printers are really nice, but I assume a lot more expensive. I don't know if they can handle the small items though.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-04-2012, 11:17 AM   #22  
Stazon Splitcoast

I had a Canon and decided to go with HP. Wish I hadn't. It's ok but for service I can't understand their help people. Not good enough English and I worked at a BIG University wwhere I dealt with students from around the world. Wish I had gone back to a canon. Which I will do when this one is done.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-05-2012, 07:31 PM   #23  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by princessmom1View Post
I'm going through the same process. Our over five year old Canon ip3000 is out of ink and rather than spend $40 to replace the cartridges we're looking to upgrade printers, go wireless, get an all-in-one.

I looked at and really like the Canon MG5320 - dual paper paths seems to be a rare feature. I like having regular paper in the bottom and use the direct path for card stock and other specialty paper as needed. All the reviews I read were generally favorable, but noted the ink costs were a bit high.

But I think I'm going to get the Kodak ESP 2170. For the same price as the Canon, it adds in fax capabilities, and every review crows about its low ink costs. But I've seen lots of bad user reviews, so I'm not sure if there's a quality problem on the production side, lots of people just don't know what they're doing, or if Windows is still a world of hurt (I use a Mac). I plan to get it and print like mad for the first few weeks.
I got the 2170 a couple of months ago and am loving it! Had a ESP Kodak before, and that printer was somewhat of a pain so was a bit concerned about getting another Kodak. The ink was the primary reason for going Kodak again. The ink is low priced AND pigment (no smears). I also wanted a 'back loader.' Haven't hooked up the fax, and am not using it as a wireless, but the scanner is terrific. Use Draft mode most of the time when printing B/W.

I don't expect any problems with Kodak's bankruptcy situation...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-19-2012, 06:23 AM   #24  
Insane Embellisher

Thanks for all the info here, everyone. I too am looking into replacing my old printer- It's a Brother MFC210-C. It's been a good little workhorse with all the photocopying and printing that I've done, but it's getting a bit eccentic and I have to fiddle with the print settings a lot and it just won't print good photos anymore. It also has some persistent jamming issues. I'm interested in trying out the free version of My Digital Studio, so my question to everyone is, what printer(s) would be a good for print quality, ink cost, printing on heavier cardstock, and matching SU!'s colours?
Thanks,
Anna
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-19-2012, 09:45 AM   #25  
Embossing Fanatic

Hallupino,

I got the Cannon MG5320 about 3 weeks ago and it has been pretty good. I am getting into digital stamping and needed a printer that would take thicker card stock. This printer has five individual ink tanks (including the black tank). cost for each of the tanks is about $13-$15 depending on where you go. it has a dual paper feeder (the back feeder is straight path feeder).

it has been working well for me so far. I had no problems with hooking up to my IMac and I bought it on sale for $100. Hope this helps.

LT
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-09-2012, 02:03 PM   #26  
Compulsive Stamper

Thanks for all the input ladies! I too am looking for a good quality printer. I'd like to be able to do my journaling & quotes, as well as printing my 4x6 pics for scrapbooking. (Then I can get rid of my mediocre epson picturemate.) I'd also use it to print on cardstock or vellum as I make a lot of cards & party invites. I do NO digital scrapping or stamping. I looked at the HP photosmart 7510, but the salesman at Best Buy thought a laser printer might be a better option... I don't have any affinity to a certain brand either. I would just like to buy something & be happy with it! I welcome any & all suggestions! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-10-2012, 11:58 AM   #27  
Cardstock Collector

Quote:

Hi all,

Looks like my old HP Printer bit the dust and was looking to get recommendations for a new printer. I'm just getting into digi stamping and wondered what printer all of you use to print your images.

Took a look at 3 models:
1. Epson Workforce 845
2. cannon Pixma MG5320
3. HP Officejet 8600

Does anyone out there have any of these models, and wouldn't mind sharing their experience with them? And are they good for printing digital images on cardstock (67 - 110 lb weight). Thank you in advance for your help.

LT
Hey Little,
love to use HP Officejet 8600, my all folders printing products prints getting from this HP OfficeJet, the quality of prints awesome.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-11-2012, 08:02 PM   #28  
Embossing Fanatic

Hey John,

I have been really happy with my new Cannon printer. It is not too big and prints like a charm...also no smearing of the ink . Great little printer.

LT
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-12-2012, 02:27 AM   #29  
Kookie Creator

Although I have learned a lot from the comments about printers here .....can I ask another question ? I am leery of purchasing a video camera to make videos for my blog...do any of you have do video tutorials on your blogs, and if so, what type of video camera do you use ? I am in the process of purchasing a printer....AND thought I might get some excellent advice about video cameras here as well and POSSIBLY purchase the PRINTER & THE VIDEO CAMERA at the same time !
Some people say that the Sony Bloggie Camera is the one to purchase.....?????
IF I have bothered or upset anyone by asking questionso about video cameras, I am sorry !

Redcaboose1717
Reply With Quote Likes