Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 12-19-2012, 08:12 AM   #1  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Genius Platform

Can anyone tell me if you can use this with the Original Sizzix Die Cut Machine?

I have this one:
Sizzix.com - Sizzix Personal Die-Cutter

I would love it if it is. I was just recently complaining about how I get those marks on the bottom half of my die cuts. It's fine for most things, but when making gift tags, I don't like it one bit.

Thanks!

Glitter Ink
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-19-2012, 09:44 AM   #2  
Pearl-ExPert

Lifestyle Crafts Genius Platform System Here are the machines that it says it will work in.

Has anyone got these yet and worked with them? Is it worth the money?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-19-2012, 09:50 AM   #3  
Compulsive Stamper

Colleen-
The official answer from Ellison/Sizzix is that we don't endorse the Genius Platform with any of our machines. You can read the official statement here: Ellison.com - Sizzix Compatibility Notice

They don't show the original red machine on their packaging. That could mean that it isn't compatible or that they may not have tested it. I would guess they didn't test it since it is an older machine and not one we sell any longer.

Regarding the lines you mention you are getting, I suspect that is maybe due to the lever type of machine. Do the lines match up to where the inside plate is pressing down on the die?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-19-2012, 11:11 AM   #4  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by tammytutterowView Post
Colleen-
The official answer from Ellison/Sizzix is that we don't endorse the Genius Platform with any of our machines. You can read the official statement here: Ellison.com - Sizzix Compatibility Notice

They don't show the original red machine on their packaging. That could mean that it isn't compatible or that they may not have tested it. I would guess they didn't test it since it is an older machine and not one we sell any longer.

Regarding the lines you mention you are getting, I suspect that is maybe due to the lever type of machine. Do the lines match up to where the inside plate is pressing down on the die?

The lines I am talking about are "teeny tiny, previous impressions" for many many die cutting jobs. The backside of my cardstock will get these little hairline impressions from the cutting mat. I can't keep it new and smooth all the time. I know getting a new cutting mat will help for a while. And I know that many other machines cause this as well.

So I was excited when I saw the "self healing" mat as the base from that Genius thingy.

Thanks for your info! I know I have an old machine...but it works, so I hate to get rid of it and spend money on another machine that does the same thing, ya know?

Glitter Ink
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-19-2012, 11:38 AM   #5  
Compulsive Stamper

Ahhh, yes, those lines! I know what you mean now. I have a cutting pad that is pretty cut up and will grab it without thinking. It doesn't do it with larger dies, but with a strip it will make those marks. It never fails that it is those times when I have put my paper face up too!!

You could try adding an extra piece of paper between that cutting pad and the back of your paper to work as a buffer. Most machines allow you to cut multiple piece of paper at once so you should be ok with adding another piece of paper. I think I will try that myself next time...

Regarding the self healing mat, if you end up trying it, I hope you will come back and share your thoughts on it. I am curious to hear reviews of it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-28-2012, 02:50 PM   #6  
Embossing Fanatic

I bought one back in the summer and almost immediately packed it up and took it back. I have a Sizzix Big Kick (same as the Big Shot, but not as pretty) and did not get clean cuts with it. (Meaning it didn't cut through the paper in several places!) One of the big selling points for me had been the magnetized plate, but I found that the magnet wasn't strong enough to keep the die in place. Also, I prefer to place my paper first and then the die facing down. That configuration doesn't work on this platform -- making the magnet useless anyway. I loved the idea, but it just didn't work for me. :(
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-29-2012, 05:15 AM   #7  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by library mommyView Post
I bought one back in the summer and almost immediately packed it up and took it back. I have a Sizzix Big Kick (same as the Big Shot, but not as pretty) and did not get clean cuts with it. (Meaning it didn't cut through the paper in several places!) One of the big selling points for me had been the magnetized plate, but I found that the magnet wasn't strong enough to keep the die in place. Also, I prefer to place my paper first and then the die facing down. That configuration doesn't work on this platform -- making the magnet useless anyway. I loved the idea, but it just didn't work for me. :(
I have to say the same thing about the Genius. Plus, I was die cutting some glitter paper and the Genius plates were not working. I needed the acrylic to make a nice, deep cut. I liked the size of the plate so I asked Santa for the extra large sizzix platform and am going to sell the Genius platform.

As far as the magnatized plate, my SU demo used a magnet sheet (vent cover) as part of the sandwich and cut into it with her big shot and that seemed to work very well. I may try that when I need to line up my stamps and die cuts, but I bought a roll of blue painters tape and used that to line up my Christmas cards, so maybe I will stick with that.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-16-2013, 03:26 AM   #8  
Compulsive Stamper

Default Genius Platform & Cuttlebug

I was so excited to get a Genius Ultimate Platform for Christmas and finally got around to using it. Actually, NOT using it- it does not fit into the older Cuttlebug, despite product descriptions stating that it will work with all leading cutting machines. Don't know if the newer Cuttlebugs are slightly wider- the platform is just a fraction of an inch too wide. I have a note out to Lifestyle Crafts about it- hoping they will take it as a return as I bought it through an Amazon seller and the box was recycled because it was destroyed in shipping. (The seller didn't do wrong anyway, it was the inaccurate description of the item by the company that is the problem.) Anyway, just wanted to warn Cuttlebug users that the Genius did not fit my Cuttlebug that is maybe? 5 years old. :
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-16-2013, 04:20 PM   #9  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 506 Likes on 226 Posts

I have a Big Shot and the old "big red" machine. Since "red" doesn't use a platform (it only has the white cutting pads) I don't think any platform will work in it...not even the multipurpose platform or the solo platform from Sizzix. Besides, the width is a bit narrower than the Big Shot, so it wouldn't fit width-wise anyway.
I'll stand with arms high and heart abandoned,
in awe of the One who gave it all.
I'll stand, my soul, Lord, to You surrendered,
all I am is Yours.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2013, 05:06 AM   #10  
Inking Addict

I love the Genius and found it much better than using those darn acrylic plates. In fact I have now started using my Big Shot more because of it. No more bowed plates. I have even used the metal adaptor plate for intricate dies and found that there is still magnetism. Granted the strength is not like those magnetic books by Quickutz where you must pry the dies off. You can hold the platform upside down and the wafer thin metal dies will stay on. I get to cut multiple dies at once. Simple sandwich ... "A" mat for cutting and "B" mat for embossing. Have used it successfully with Spellbinders, Lifestyle Crafts, Memory Box, new Sizzix Thinlits, Die-versions, IO, Nellie, Cheery Lynn, Joy Crafts and Marianne Design dies.

I have done quite a bit of cutting with the "A" mat. I have not noticed any of those lines like you do with the well used acrylic plates.

I also have both the old and new Cuttlebug. It does work very well with the new Cuttlebug. The old Cuttlebug's opening is just a bit too small for the Genius. I also have the original Sizzix kerchunker ... will not work because that opening width is way too small.

Someone mentioned the magnetic sheets ... I tried those a long time ago. Those things do not last very long. Especially if you are allowing the cutting side to cut into them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-20-2013, 07:20 PM   #11  
Compulsive Stamper

I bought the Genius platform Friday and rushed to try it out on my Big Shot. "Rushed" is another word for "didn't read the directions carefully and wrecked a couple of metal dies right away". The directions are on the Genius box, and not terribly clear. Which side of the plate is up? Down? Final verdict: I love the Genius. I can now cut dies that wouldn't cut crisply with the old BS acrylic plates. New directions would be great for crafters like me who need some hand-holding. Otherwise, it works like a charm in the Big Shot. Just remember to sandwich! I bent the dies by not putting them inside the sandwich. (I know, "duuuhhhhh".) Wonder of anyone has ever tried to straighten bent dies? They'll still work, just with patience and planning.
Reply With Quote Likes