Splitcoaststampers

Splitcoaststampers (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/)
-   Tool & Product Talk (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/tool-product-talk-f128/)
-   -   Embossing powder oops (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/tool-product-talk-f128/embossing-powder-oops-t472643.html)

squashjunkie 12-19-2009 09:10 PM

Embossing powder oops

Does anybody know how to remove stuck on embossing powder from a ceramic surface (my bathroom sink!). I didn't notice until too late that I had embossed my sink along with a card. Please help!

jennik 12-19-2009 09:32 PM

Don't have any ideas for you. Sorry. But some brillant SCS'er will!! :) In the mean time you can enjoy your sparkley sink! :)
I'm not giggling, really I'm not. This is just soooo me!!! I haven't done this, yet.

jennik

Cook22 12-20-2009 12:29 AM

Baffled at the idea of embossing over the sink in the first place! But my guess is that, since presumably it was just the powder and you hadn't actually versamarked the sink :D, you can probably get it off with your fingernails, or a non-stick scouring pad which won't scratch the porcelain. It certainly can't have fused to the porcelain, the heat wouldn't have been enough. I get if off my silicone craft mat with a non-stick scourer.

eaparham 12-20-2009 03:32 AM

I was thinking a razor blade followed by a Mr Clean Eraser

biowife84 12-20-2009 03:46 AM

Comet?

Pendant23 12-20-2009 04:20 AM

Get the sink cold, too. That should help it contract and make it easier to pop off.

pjw2855 12-20-2009 04:53 AM

squashjunkie.....Like Post #3 says, I can't imagine why you would be over a sink to heat emboss?

In any case, be certain what the sink is made of before you try any method for removal. You could damage the sink which would be worse than just leaving it alone to wear off itself.

Patti

RubberLady603 12-20-2009 04:54 AM

ROTFL! Sounds exactly like something I would do!!!!!!!! I'll have to keep an eye on this so that when I do it, I'll have the answer in advance!

chef2die4 12-20-2009 07:42 AM

On a ceramic or stainless steel sink you can get it wet and use a razor blade. Pull or push the blade against the sink, holding it as flat to the sink surface as possible (Make sense?) DON'T use the blade dry (you will scratch the sink badly). The water protects the sink. For plastic or fiberglass sinks, you may have to get a new sink :rolleyes:. Sorry.

stigmom6 12-20-2009 08:12 AM

I would try reheating the embossed area then wipe with a paper towel.

Alice in Md 12-20-2009 10:20 AM

IF the sink really is ceramic, would Goo-Gone help to dissolve the embossing powder? My husband also uses paint thinner on all sorts of things -- with excellent ventilation, of course. Another option is lacquer thinner, also with good ventilation -- but never, never on plastic (such as "cultured marble" that is in many bathrooms). ... Good luck, and please give us a progress report.

cla616 12-20-2009 11:51 AM

even a pampered chef type scraper might do it, the plastic ones for your stones or mixing bowls, as long as it has a sharp edge, I too was thinking razor blade, but just a good scraper might do it too!

Karen Trueman 12-20-2009 11:58 AM

I've scratched heated embossing powder off with my fingernail and hot water when using it to do the glass etching. Comes off very easily really.

kphorse 12-20-2009 01:16 PM

Put some ice on it to make the embossing powder freeze...carefully take a kitchen butter knife and slide it under the corner of the embossing powder, it should flick off when cold enough...