Splitcoaststampers

Splitcoaststampers (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/)
-   Tool & Product Talk (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/tool-product-talk-f128/)
-   -   "Classy Brass" (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/tool-product-talk-f128/classy-brass-t599306.html)

katiestamper 05-07-2015 06:05 PM

"Classy Brass"

I don't know how many people remember these stencils, but I was digging through another drawer to clean out and found a bunch of these. Could we use these with sponge daubers for backgrounds? I can't use them the old way due to arthritis.

poppydarling 05-07-2015 11:44 PM

I would try it – they're usually pretty thick so you may have to work to get down in the openings. I was just thinking yesterday that I'm going to put mine through my Big Shot :-) If it gets bent no loss as I'm not using it anyway, but it matches an old SU stamp set that I have so it's worth a shot.

shazsilverwolf 05-08-2015 04:56 AM

I have a mass of brass stencils- mainly unused these days! I did find this You Tube video, if you have a die cutting machine, it may be useful. Its for a 'bug, but you could figure out the sandwich for another machine, I'd think.
You can definitely sponge inks/chalks through them though.

southgirl 05-08-2015 05:27 AM

Run a sheet of white paper thru your Xyron then place your brass stencil on it and sprinkle glitter over it. Shake off glitter and sprinkle glitter over remaining glue.

blueheron 05-08-2015 10:08 AM

I have sponged with the brass stencils. I have also done what is called stippling: using a stenciling brush. pouncing the inked brush onto/through the openings in the stencil.

Here is an older example of a card

And another one

The pandas were stippled thru' a flat, brass xmas ornament from San Diego Zoo

You can also use smaller paint brushes that are flat on the end, not pointed or rounded.

katiestamper 05-09-2015 07:48 PM

I saved my stipple brushes and I have paint brushed so now I'm excited to try! Thanks for sharing.

Janet1000 05-09-2015 09:25 PM

Thanks for the info. I was just thinking about getting rid of mine. I have not used those in years, and I have a ton of them. I used to emboss by hand all the time years ago... when I was on the Ark.

Phantom 05-12-2015 12:16 PM

Depending on the designs, I would try using them with embossing paste/caulk to add dimension to a paper project.

shazsilverwolf 05-12-2015 01:03 PM

Phantoms idea is a good one, I forgot to suggest using stencil pastes with them. Dreamweaver make a wide range of colours and finishes of paste, and I believe she has at least one video about it on the Dreamweaver site.

Illinois Marge 05-12-2015 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shazsilverwolf (Post 20977300)
Phantoms idea is a good one, I forgot to suggest using stencil pastes with them. Dreamweaver make a wide range of colours and finishes of paste, and I believe she has at least one video about it on the Dreamweaver site.

You don't need to buy different color pastes, Just buy regular (white) and mix in a few drops of acrylic paint on a palette to get colored paste. Better yet buy Golden's light molding paste from the artist section -- typically you'll get much more paste for your money and it color mixes and works with stencils beautifully.