Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 08-22-2012, 11:13 AM   #1  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 1/16" Easy Mount Cushion

has lost its grip, which is making me lose mine.

Does anyone have a solution for this? Can I use Aleene's Tack it Over & Over as a fix or will that cause the foam to degrade further?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-22-2012, 11:30 AM   #2  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 292 Likes on 127 Posts

Assuming you mean the cling against the acrylic block rather than the stick to the stamp itself - give it a wash. Warm water and a little mild detergent, rinse and then place stamp side down on some paper towel and let it air dry. Usually works wonders! The foam works by static cling and over time tiny bits of grit, the natural oils from your skin etc build up on the surface and that means it loses its super smoothness and a little spa treatment is all it needs to regain it.

HTH!

My blog
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-22-2012, 11:38 AM   #3  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 290 Likes on 114 Posts

I can't find it now to save me, but somewhere I read that the 1/16" EZ Mount only had a one year warranty, whereas the thicker was pretty much guaranteed for the life of the stamp. Is the foam itself degrading, or has it just lost its "cling"? I know that a swipe with rubbing alcohol will restore stickiness to photopolymer (clear) stamps. I wonder if it would work with your foam? If not, I'd give the TIO&O a try on a couple of stamps and see what happens. If it works, then hooray for you! If not, you're no worse off than you are now, I'm thinkin'! It would be really helpful (to me, at least) if you could report back - I've been toying with the idea of adding some of this to my unmounted stamps, but will forgo it if this will be the result... Thanks and good luck!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-23-2012, 03:01 AM   #4  
Die Cut Diva

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Gregzgurl- thanks for that tip about rubbing alcohol- I didn't know that. I have a few that are quite old & don't cling well.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-29-2012, 05:41 AM   #5  
Kookie Creator

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

how have you been storing your cling stamps? the cling doesn't like cd cases etc and that can make it lose its cling if stored that way over time!
woul def try cleaning first tho.

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-29-2012, 06:35 AM   #6  
Matboard Maniac

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Also, what stamp cleaner do you use? Ultra Clean is awesome but it does have an "oily" feel and residue and it does case the cling to not stick. So doing as Joanne suggested and wash w/ mild soap and water and letting air dry should help if that is the cause. Good luck.
Blessings,
Valerie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-29-2012, 06:53 AM   #7  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 13 Likes on 3 Posts

I have trouble with SU! clings staying on the blocks right from the beginning! Any suggestions there?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-29-2012, 07:23 AM   #8  
Matboard Maniac

I was told that if you huff on the acrylic block before attaching the stamp helps a lot. Also, place your stamp rubber side down on your table and place your "huffed" acrylic block on top and press for 3 seconds. HTH
Blessings,
Valerie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-29-2012, 07:39 AM   #9  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 13 Likes on 3 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeffnvalView Post
I was told that if you huff on the acrylic block before attaching the stamp helps a lot. Also, place your stamp rubber side down on your table and place your "huffed" acrylic block on top and press for 3 seconds. HTH
Blessings,
Valerie
Thanks! I am going to try that!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-29-2012, 07:48 AM   #10  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 245 Likes on 132 Posts

Reading this makes me even more glad that I have stuck with wood mounted---always ready to use as soon as they are picked up. Also, I like the feel of wood in my hand.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-29-2012, 09:23 AM   #11  
Cardstock Collector

Smile

I've never had a problem with SU stamps. They were the first clings I ever used and I just followed the instructions of applyng pressure for ten seconds.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-29-2012, 09:52 AM   #12  
Glitter Queen

Question Clings

I have been buying mainly cling stamps lately because they save a lot of space and are cheaper, not to mention not chopping down trees for mounts. I have noticed on one set of older clings that they are starting to yellow. Does this mean they won't stamp right and is there a way to restore them? TIA, Lisa
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-29-2012, 11:08 AM   #13  
Matboard Maniac

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

I don't have any cling stamps of the super thin mount, but I sure do love the the ones I have. I'm in the process of mounting all my unmounted rubber stamps on the cling cushion. I do love wood-mounted stamps but having the room is problematic. Just a quick money-saving tip. The best prices I've found for the cushion is at Stamper's Best. Visit Inkstainswithroni for a great site and coupon for Stamper's Best. You'll be glad you did!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-29-2012, 11:31 AM   #14  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 245 Likes on 132 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kristy TyraView Post
I don't have any cling stamps of the super thin mount, but I sure do love the the ones I have. I'm in the process of mounting all my unmounted rubber stamps on the cling cushion. I do love wood-mounted stamps but having the room is problematic. Just a quick money-saving tip. The best prices I've found for the cushion is at Stamper's Best. Visit Inkstainswithroni for a great site and coupon for Stamper's Best. You'll be glad you did!
I have a nice big stamp cabinet that my husband built with drawers that hold stamps two deep. I keep them in clam shell boxes by theme. When I don't have enough room for new stamps, I figure it is time to get rid of something or make do with what I have. I try to be very selective about what stamps I buy so that they are quite versatile. When I do get the urge to buy something new, I must assess what I have first. My husband is a wood worker, so he can make me wood mounts from scraps for the stamps I carve as well as any unmounted I may buy.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-29-2012, 11:52 AM   #15  
Compulsive Stamper

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kathleen McView Post
how have you been storing your cling stamps? the cling doesn't like cd cases etc and that can make it lose its cling if stored that way over time!
woul def try cleaning first tho.
Why is it bad to store the cling stamps in CD cases? I am un-mounting mine and planned to store them in my old CD cases. Kimberly
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-29-2012, 12:43 PM   #16  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 290 Likes on 114 Posts

If by "cling" stamps you mean "clear" as opposed to the cushion with cling vinyl, then they are probably made from photopolymer. As the "photo" part of the name implies, they react to light, mainly by yellowing. It does not affect the quality of the stamp itself or the stamped image - it's just part of the deal. However, you should read the care instructions from the manufacturer to see if there are guidelines as to what to avoid. None of the clear stamps or cling-vinyl stamps play well with acetate, so definitely avoid that! There's nothing you can do to "restore" them to their non-yellow condition, though, as far as I know...

Quote:

Originally Posted by lisasmith54View Post
I have been buying mainly cling stamps lately because they save a lot of space and are cheaper, not to mention not chopping down trees for mounts. I have noticed on one set of older clings that they are starting to yellow. Does this mean they won't stamp right and is there a way to restore them? TIA, Lisa

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-29-2012, 05:14 PM   #17  
Crimping Master

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by sylviadView Post
I have trouble with SU! clings staying on the blocks right from the beginning! Any suggestions there?
the index stickers make them not stick well, I leave off the stickers and they are fine
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-29-2012, 05:46 PM   #18  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by sylviadView Post
I found that using the thinnest clear plastic (available at fabric stores-used to cover tablecloths, I think) cut to fit over the side of the acrylic block that you cling your stamps to works wonders! I just bought about 8" of it (it's very wide) which costs pennies! I haven't cleaned a block or had a stamp fall off since I started using it a few months ago!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-04-2012, 11:39 AM   #19  
Rubber Obsessor

Location: I am a Military Wife. Right now Maryland, soon, retirement, then back home to Pa.

I had been not putting on the stickers on my SU cling mount stamps as a hint my SIL told me, because she was having trouble with them sticking to the blocks as well. So, I had to try at least 1 set, and nope!! They won't stay on the blocks!! GRRR!! I have cleaned my blocks, and huffed and pressed, and they keep slipping right back off! Won't do that again!! Thanks for the hint on the vinyl!! Will have to go get some! I wonder if that will work for the thin cling foam as well?? I will have to try it and see! I have tons of CC Designs stamps mounted on that type!!
Thanks for that hint about the CD cases, I never heard that!! And that is how I have been storing mine, forever!!
Reply With Quote Likes