Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 02-14-2009, 05:55 AM   #1
Watercolor Wizard

Default Printers & photos

Hi Ladies ~

I am on the hunt for a new ink jet, psc/all-in-one printer. I print 99% of my photos myself on my current printer, so I am looking for one with excellent quality. Anyone have a favorite they'd like to pass along? I trust reviews here more than the ones on the company websites.

TIA!

~ Denise
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 02-14-2009, 06:01 AM   #2
Gabfest Goddess

I will make a suggestion here. Any Canon Pixma printer will be fantastic! Find one that takes individual color cartridges and you will save a lot of money too. You can get a super fabulous one for under $200.00. I bought one for $79.99 and it prints my photos better than a lab! If you purchase on that drops 1PL (picoliter or ink) vs. 2PL it will be slower.

The reason Canons printers are so great is because They drop 1 ink droplet for every 9 that most other printers drop. You get a lot more detail that way. I am in LOVE with my Canon printer.

Hope that helps. (Oh, they have them at Staples, Office Depot and they have some at Best Buy.)

Be polite to those who are rude to you. Not because they are nice, but because you are.
Old 02-14-2009, 09:24 AM   #3
Die Cut Diva

I had a Brother printer that I absolutely loved for the quality of printers. Unfortunately, if you don't use the brother inks the print head tends to clog up. So if you don't mind paying a bit more for ink but really nice print quality I would go for a Brother MFC210.

I currently have a Canon printer and I'm not impressed. The print quality, even with the Canon ink and paper, is at best mediocre.
Old 02-14-2009, 11:35 AM   #4
Stazon Splitcoast

Oh, I have to second Gina's rec...I've had two Canon's and am about to buy our third. Love, love them...from photos, to clip art, to transparencies...wonderful!

One thing, I did notice if you use the Canon paper, it does make a difference in the quality..sounds strange, but true!
Old 02-14-2009, 11:47 AM   #5
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat_woman View Post
I had a Brother printer that I absolutely loved for the quality of printers. Unfortunately, if you don't use the brother inks the print head tends to clog up. So if you don't mind paying a bit more for ink but really nice print quality I would go for a Brother MFC210.

I currently have a Canon printer and I'm not impressed. The print quality, even with the Canon ink and paper, is at best mediocre.
OH, that's too bad you don't like yours. I know Canon has both Canon and Canon Pixma printers. I like the Pixma ones. I have never tried the others so I would know. It's good to know that you like your Brother. I have a Brother Fax machine and I like it too.

Be polite to those who are rude to you. Not because they are nice, but because you are.
Old 02-14-2009, 01:26 PM   #6
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess

I have a Kodak ESP-3. Their ink is specially formulated for photos so it lasts. It is also much less expensive! The color cartridge is $15, and the black cartridge is $10. I found a package at Walmart that was 180 sheets of 4X6 photo paper and a color cartridge for only $18! That's 10 cents per photo. (It is also a copier/scanner too.)
Old 02-14-2009, 01:33 PM   #7
Matboard Maniac

Default photo printer

I have the epson picturemate and love love love it. I just stick my memory card in it and I can crop or adjust the picture any way I want. The paper and the ink come together so it's really sweet. I ordered it from epson and the refills I get at Target.
Old 02-14-2009, 02:07 PM   #8
Mad Swapper

I have a Canon Pixma MP810 and I love it. I can scan photos, negatives and slides, also. The pictures are great. It is a space hog, though. HTH.

Proud to be a SU Demo & USC Gamecock Fan!
Old 02-14-2009, 04:26 PM   #9
Crimping Master

I am still using my trustworthy, reliable, high-quality Canon i900d - not sure what the current model number of this baby is, but I do know they still make it. Best thing - has six see-through cartridges so you know if they are really low or empty. Prints several sizes and can do matte or glossy. Awesome printer!

Hope this helps.
Old 02-14-2009, 04:54 PM   #10
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julie in Indy View Post
I am still using my trustworthy, reliable, high-quality Canon i900d - not sure what the current model number of this baby is, but I do know they still make it. Best thing - has six see-through cartridges so you know if they are really low or empty. Prints several sizes and can do matte or glossy. Awesome printer!

Hope this helps.
I love the individual cartridges. Sometimes if I am printing pictures in a theme color, like sepia, I run out of one or two but if it was all one cartridge, I'd have to replace the whole thing. That's a money saver right there!

Old 02-15-2009, 08:25 AM   #11
Linking Queen

I'm not looking for one yet but this thread has lots of helpful info so I wanted to say ... THANKS

Happy Crafting!
Tina aka TeeGeeDee
Old 02-15-2009, 08:50 AM   #12
Watercolor Wizard

A big thanks froom me, too! I started with a Canon years ago, switched to HP a few years back, and it has been WONDERFUL, but it's getting older and about that time. I print mainly in matte and need a PSC for my job (and it's handy, too), and am looking forward to researching all suggestions. DH is setting up my new desktop right now...might as well replace all at once since it will be the last time for a while!

Thanks again for all the help ladies!
Old 02-16-2009, 08:20 AM   #13
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by gale View Post
I have a picturemate too-I love it although I don't think they last very long. The OP was looking for an all-in-one printer though. Probably a full size not 4 x 6.
You're correct - I need an all-in-one that prints good pictures.
Old 02-16-2009, 10:01 AM   #14
Hardware Hotshot

I have an HP Photosmart C4100, which is a printer, scanner, and copier all-in-one. It has photo restoration software, which is important to me since I have a lot of old photos that have faded and been damaged over the years. It has a color cartridge and a black one, plus you can use optional photo cartridges for both color and black. I get excellent prints, even without the special photo cartridges. I would advise against the printers with multiple color cartridges. I had an Epson printer which had 6 cartridges, and I was constantly replacing them. At $13 apiece, it got to be very expensive.

Good luck with your decision.
Old 02-16-2009, 10:04 AM   #15
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapjanny View Post
I have an HP Photosmart C4100, which is a printer, scanner, and copier all-in-one. It has photo restoration software, which is important to me since I have a lot of old photos that have faded and been damaged over the years. It has a color cartridge and a black one, plus you can use optional photo cartridges for both color and black. I get excellent prints, even without the special photo cartridges. I would advise against the printers with multiple color cartridges. I had an Epson printer which had 6 cartridges, and I was constantly replacing them. At $13 apiece, it got to be very expensive.

Good luck with your decision.
thanks so much!
Old 02-17-2009, 10:37 AM   #16
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by One4Joy View Post
Oh, I have to second Gina's rec...I've had two Canon's and am about to buy our third. Love, love them...from photos, to clip art, to transparencies...wonderful!

One thing, I did notice if you use the Canon paper, it does make a difference in the quality..sounds strange, but true!
Can you tell me which model you have? Thanks!
Old 02-17-2009, 05:01 PM   #17
Matboard Maniac

I have and Epson and also a Kodak all in one, I have to say the Kodak all in one does a great job printing photos if you use Kodak photo paper it is hard to tell the difference in the ones from a store and the ink is cheap. I have a rewards card for BestBuy and the ink is 24.99 and if you use your rewards card you get a free ream of Kodak paper (a $10 value) and the ink last a very long time, even when you have a new grandbaby and print pictures all the time
Old 02-17-2009, 05:20 PM   #18
Watercolor Wizard

i ended up with a Canon Pixma mp620. it's the only one i saw that had good reviews across the board on many different sites.

Thanks to everyone for the help!!!!!
Old 02-27-2009, 05:04 PM   #19
Rubber Obsessor

Do you like the Canon Pixma mp620? I have been looking at this same printer. Thought I would see if you have tried it out yet.

Lee Anne