Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 05-04-2015, 01:22 AM   #41
Hardware Hotshot

The new Precision base plate looks like a nice idea . I have a lot of intricate dies plus I would not have the expense of replacing cutting plates .

I still have the old multipurpose platform that is hinged together. Will the new precision base plate work with my platform?

I don't want to buy a new platform if I don't need one . The new magnetic platform is very expensive . It costs as much as my Bigshot machine did years ago on Black Friday . $40.

If I can use it with my platform how would I use it? No tabs or 1 tab ?

Is the new precision base the same dimensions as my hinged multipurpose platform?

Thanks
Barbara
Old 05-04-2015, 01:29 AM   #42
Polyshrink Goddess

The precision plate is the same thickness as a cutting plate. You can use it on top of the platform base with all the tabs closed. It would just take the place of your bottom cutting plate.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 05-04-2015, 01:35 AM   #43
Hardware Hotshot

Thank you !!
In addition to an aid in cutting intricate dies the fact i will not need to replace cutting pad so often is a plus. When the cutting pad gets too warped it no longer cuts well.

Thanks again
Barbara

Last edited by Barbara Jay; 05-04-2015 at 01:39 AM..
Old 05-05-2015, 02:44 PM   #44
Embossing Fanatic

Default Not Real Happy

The following is something I posted in another earlier thread on this subject. The fine points of maneuvering through the posting process have so far eluded me so please bear with me about that.

"I have used this Holtz cutting plate for about a month with a divided opinion. Initially I used it with my trusty old Big Shot with the recommended single top plate sandwich though it seemed unusually hard to crank through. The cuts were flawless but I noticed the dies, especially the simple Mat Basics rectangles, were warping upwards which did not make me smile one bit.

Circumstances forced me to purchase a replacement Big Shot quickly. When I used the new machine with the metal plate, the same thing happened: difficult to pass the sandwich through with a noticeably warped die result. With only the metal plate, die, paper, and top acrylic plate, you have nothing to "play" with to decrease the pressure.

One old machine, I might have rationalized as finicky; a brand new machine merits no blame for warped dies...the "constant" is the new metal bottom plate. I watched the YouTube demo again to see if I had somehow missed something but no go.

Am I alone with this problem? Any suggestions out there? Sure could use some help as I'm not willing to ruin my dies until the problem is resolved.

Thanks much!"
Old 05-05-2015, 03:51 PM   #45
Rubber Obsessor

I, too, have noticed a little warping or bending of my dies. Didn't pay much attention to it, until you mentioned it, and since I'd only used the shapes (rectangles, squares, etc) only once with the plate. I am not willing to sacrifice my dies for this plate. If anyone has any other solutions, please do tell. Also not happy I can no longer use the magnetic base plate with it something I paid good $$$ for.
Old 05-05-2015, 04:48 PM   #46
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by crlfl View Post
The following is something I posted in another earlier thread on this subject. The fine points of maneuvering through the posting process have so far eluded me so please bear with me about that.

"I have used this Holtz cutting plate for about a month with a divided opinion. Initially I used it with my trusty old Big Shot with the recommended single top plate sandwich though it seemed unusually hard to crank through. The cuts were flawless but I noticed the dies, especially the simple Mat Basics rectangles, were warping upwards which did not make me smile one bit.

Circumstances forced me to purchase a replacement Big Shot quickly. When I used the new machine with the metal plate, the same thing happened: difficult to pass the sandwich through with a noticeably warped die result. With only the metal plate, die, paper, and top acrylic plate, you have nothing to "play" with to decrease the pressure.

One old machine, I might have rationalized as finicky; a brand new machine merits no blame for warped dies...the "constant" is the new metal bottom plate. I watched the YouTube demo again to see if I had somehow missed something but no go.

Am I alone with this problem? Any suggestions out there? Sure could use some help as I'm not willing to ruin my dies until the problem is resolved.

Thanks much!"
More pressure is required because even though all the plates are the same thickness, they have different properties. The clear cutting plates are malleable and give under the pressure of the machines rollers. This is why they bend with use. The precision plate is rigid and there is no give, requiring more force to push it through the machine. The thickness of your paper will also impact the amount of force needed. ex: GinaK colored cardstock is fairly tough to push through while comparatively SU colored cardstock is a breeze.

I have not experienced any bending of my dies, but then, I reserve this for use with my solid intricate cutting plates I can never get clean cuts on. I would never use this on regular dies, or any die regardless of type, that I can cut well without it. Using this plate as my standard set up would be overkill. Besides, I love the magnetic feature of my magnetic base, and you lose this capability with the precision plate in place.
Grumpygirl73 likes this post.
Old 05-05-2015, 04:54 PM   #47
Embossing Fanatic

Peezie, thanks for your reply. After reading all the glowing recommendations for this cutting platform ($20), I was beginning to feel as though this was only My problem.
Am also not pleased that the magnetic platform ($35) is extraneous/useless with the new plate but I'd sacrifice the magnets for a cutting plate that worked. Cranking dies through three and four times to successfully cut cardstock is getting old. I'm back to the Shim and Rotate drill, frustrated that the supposed cure is sitting on the shelf mocking me.
Has anyone else found the solution to warping dies with the new cutting plate?
Old 05-05-2015, 05:31 PM   #48
Proud Fan Club Member

I was told the sandwich was the metal plate, the paper and the die on top of the paper, and then one cutting pad. You mentioned you put the die down, then the paper. Maybe that is the problem?

Shirl
Old 05-05-2015, 06:02 PM   #49
Embossing Fanatic

Sorry to be confusing. I was only listing the variable elements that would impact the thickness of the sandwich, not the order of the sandwich itself. My bad.

As for the intended use of this pad, I quote directly from the Holtz CHA introductory YouTube by Craft Test Dummies that this precision cutting plate "basically replaces your bottom cutting pad". He specifically mentioned its use with Thinlets and not the large steel rule dies (which would never fit anyway). This verbal endorsement appears to support routine use with all die designs, simple or detailed. Flipping back and forth between magnetic, multi-purpose (embossing) and precision cutting plates wouldn't seem like a technical advance.

I am at a loss as to how to successfully utilize the positive aspects of this tool without maiming costly dies.
Old 05-05-2015, 06:43 PM   #50
Insane Embellisher

I rarely make more than one or two of a die cut and have not noticed any damage to the dies. It is tough to get thru I will admit and it did cross my mind that as I age I may need pick up a less strenuous hobby!
shirlb19 likes this post.
Old 05-06-2015, 03:24 AM   #51
Hardware Hotshot

Thanks for everyone's input. I have decided to wait on buying this until I can be sure it will not bend my Spellbinder dies . I use Spellbinder dies on every card and would be upset if any of them were ruined.

I have the regular metal shim plate that works and will do for now .
Barbara
Old 05-06-2015, 03:51 AM   #52
Cardstock Collector

Can you tell me what brand that is?

Because right now, I am using the Spellbinders Cutting Plate and that works okay for most of my dies so far, but another option might not hurt.
Old 05-06-2015, 03:58 AM   #53
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sibs View Post
Can you tell me what brand that is?

Because right now, I am using the Spellbinders Cutting Plate and that works okay for most of my dies so far, but another option might not hurt.
Do you mean what brand metal shim plate am I using?

If so mine has no name on it but I believe I got it from Amber Shaw at Chic and Savvy crafters . She ships at lightening speed LOL

Memory Box Metal Adaptor Plate for Dies 98100 - Chic and Savvy Crafters
Old 05-06-2015, 01:51 PM   #54
Insane Embellisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arizona View Post
Have you tried one of the plain metal shims from other companies? They are thinner than the sizzix one and may work better for you.
I am thrilled with then new Precision Base Plate, so far. I've been using it for a week and it hasn't warped in the least. It makes the magnetic platform useless, but that was useless as soon as the cutting plates warped, which was almost immediately. I use the sandwich printed on the bottom side of the Precision Base Plate.

Dies vary, so I use cereal-box shims and sometimes the original Big Shot Platform, sometimes the Magnetic platform, which is a bit thicker than the original, and I use no platform at all, with rule-based dies.

Plain metal shims warped on the first pass. My rollers must be too tight.
Old 05-06-2015, 06:18 PM   #55
Pearl-ExPert

I have just had my PBP for a few days. I used a Memory Box poppy die (The die has very thin stems) I was cutting heavy weight vellum. The die warped. I was thinking that it is the usual fine/thin MB type of die. Would like to use it for the delicate butterfly dies I have but worry that the pressure will cause them to warp!

My sandwich:
1- Magnetic plate
2- Precison Base Plate
3- card stock/DSP
4- die (cutting edge down)
5- acrylic cutting plate

Also tried to cut an intricate die that has a Phoenix and dragon (Ellentina die?) Tried several with shims. On the 4th combo, it cut completely through.

I guess my experience has been varied.
123scrap likes this post.
Old 05-06-2015, 09:03 PM   #56
Embossing Fanatic

I've contacted Sizzix about the die warping problem some of us experience when using the Precision Plate. Spoke to a very personable CSR who requested pictures be sent documenting that process. She acknowledged their receipt and promised to discuss the situation with her Quality Control person for some answers.
Will definitely share her response.
Carolyn
123scrap, Bahb and DianeinSparks like this post.
Old 05-06-2015, 10:21 PM   #57
Pearl-ExPert

Carolyn-

Thank you for checking with Sizzix for the users who are having the warping problem.

I like that this plate is sturdy and should reduce having to buy replacement acrylic plates but I don't want to have to replace any of my dies.
Old 05-07-2015, 04:21 AM   #58
Rubber Obsessor

I'd be anxious to see what Sizzix/Ellison tells you about the warping. I must say, their Customer Service is superb! I received my replacement precision base plate this week from them. I have change my sandwich as recommended by Arizona. So far, so good. I really like the concept of the precision base plate, although giving up my magnetic base is not a good thing. Back to taping my dies down to hold in place, which I think I can deal with if it means not sacrificing my dies! Thanks yall for all of your suggestions!
Old 05-07-2015, 04:11 PM   #59
Embossing Fanatic

Default Sizzix reply

The following is the response I received from Sizzix/Ellison Customer Service today:
.................................................. .................................................. ...
I sat down with all the information you gathered for me and spoke to our quality team. Here is what I found out……

Constructed of high-quality annealed steel, the Base Plate allows for precise die-cutting of intricate Sizzix Thinlits dies in the BIGkick, Big Shot and Vagabond machines.
The Precision Base Plate allows most intricate Thinlits dies to be cut in a single pass through the machine. The precision Base Plate was not made for the dies that are plain just like the die you were using, the frame type dies.
This plate works great on the dies that have a lot of detail and intricacy. It will warp/bend the dies that don’t have much detail to them.

So this explains why your dies were warping. Only use the precision base place on items like this below:

(Images would not "paste" but were of the ad for Sizzix Thinlets Die Set: Borders)

NOT like these:

(Images would not "paste" but were of the ad for Sizzix Thinlets Die Set: Labels)

.................................................. .................................................. ...
I was gratified to receive an answer, researched by a very pleasant, real human, who took the time to do so. The content, however, did not address the plate's use with dies other than Sizzix /Ellison Thinlets which is understandable but still begs the question.

The response also did not address the issue of the excessive force required to pass the sandwich through my Big Shot. I have reiterated that question to the CSR and hope for an answer. After watching the Sizzix video, Precision Base Plate for Wafer-Thin Dies with Stephanie Barnard, there was no undue force noticeable at all. Something doesn't jibe here.

The conclusion I reached while trying to document/photograph the problem for the company is that, CHA YouTube video to the contrary, this plate is useful solely for sizeable intricate dies that won't successfully cut any other way. With that said, it appears we are victims of Platform Roulette. Brands other than Sizzix are still a mystery and since the bulk of my dies are not Sizzix, that also remains a problem.

When/if I hear more from Sizzix, I will share their input in this forum. There seem to be many of us in the same predicament who would welcome a valid solution.

Carolyn
123scrap, Bahb, Redeemed and 1 others like this post.
Old 05-07-2015, 04:45 PM   #60
Hardware Hotshot

Thanks for all your effort in this problem.

Barbara
crlfl likes this post.
Old 05-07-2015, 05:15 PM   #61
Embossing Fanatic

Thanks for the validation, Barbara. It's much appreciated.
Carolyn
Old 05-08-2015, 06:57 PM   #62
Embossing Fanatic

Default Over and out....

Well, here's the latest (and last) from Sizzix Customer Service concerning the Precision Metal Cutting Plate.

As for the “force” it takes for passing the precision plate through the big shot. I have tested several machines in-house and yes there was pressure and cracking noises.

I was told that some machines will be tighter than others due to the fact that each machine is not calibrated to the exact calibration. Using the machine with different size dies over time changes this calibration.

If you feel that there might be something else wrong with your machine, I will be happy to have it shipped back to us to have it looked at and tested.

The inference that the struggle it takes to force-feed the sandwich through is no more than everyday pressure and cracking is misguided. Something, somewhere, somehow is wrong with a product some of us have to fight to make work.

Is quality control the culprit? It seems to be an acceptable premise to Sizzix/Ellison if questioning the calibration of a brand new Big Shot is an acceptable theory. It hasn't has Time to malfunction presuming it was calibrated when it left the factory.

Well, stick a fork in me, I'm done. The plate I have does not work in my new machine without doing damage to the thin dies it was supposed to facilitate, an acrylic plate and most likely the machine itself when forced. I give. Trashed that sucker!

Carolyn
123scrap and Janet1000 like this post.
Old 05-09-2015, 06:38 AM   #63
Pearl-ExPert

I have an older Big Shot that I thought had 'bit the dust' but my LSS owner was able to revive it. (Used a screwdriver and some sewing machine oil - BS CPR) I also have trouble getting the precision plate sandwich through. You would think the older machine might have loosened up some over time.

One thing I noticed regarding the kind of dies I tried. The ones with a bigger surface didn't warp. Don't know, if over time, they might also. Scared to risk it - can't afford to replace them.
Guess it's back to the acrylic plate only sandwich.
123scrap likes this post.
Old 05-09-2015, 11:39 PM   #64
Insane Embellisher

Last week I posted that I was thrilled with the new Precision Base Plate. This week I can't use the plate with my magnetic platform, but it's okay with the original Big Shot platform. Seems like the problem is the very slight difference in thickness of the dies. Or maybe the wet weather causes swelling of the Big Shot rollers. Whatever, it's a nuisance that what works one day does 't work the next.

And by the way, most of my dies have been warped by the original cutting plates warping, so I'm pretty amazed that some folks expect to never have any warped dies. My only Nestabilities that haven't warped are the ones I haven't used yet.
123scrap, stamphappy1650 and PikkuLilla like this post.
Old 05-10-2015, 06:51 AM   #65
Pearl-ExPert

Bahb-

Sorry to hear your dies warped when you used your warped acrylic plates. I never had this problem. Some of my acrylic plates could pass a 'soup bowls' but they never warped my delicate dies. I have had only one actually break in 6+ years. Usually I replace them because they are so scratched up that I don't like the marks they leave on my cut image.

Because of the difficulty I have putting the Precision Base Plate sandwich through either of my Big Shot machines, I won't risk trying it in my Vagabond.

When I used the extended base plate with the thin 'Tab 2' + PBP, the sandwich went through a little easier but cutting through the die was 'hit and miss'.

Appreciate hearing how others are using the PBP. I am trying some of the sandwiches used by others. I do want to like this plate because the concept is great but can't replace my dies. I do have lots - stand alone, shapes and those to match stamp sets.
Old 05-10-2015, 12:07 PM   #66
Polyshrink Goddess

I've actually had some warping of dies using the acrylic plates too. However, it was using a very thin delicate looking nesting type dies, and after running them through 50 times one Christmas making gift tags. The warping is slight and does not interfere with use, so I just consider it normal wear and tear and don't worry about it. I would be very upset if They got warped beyond use though.
stamphappy1650 and PikkuLilla like this post.
Old 05-14-2015, 05:15 PM   #67
Proud Fan Club Member

Has anyone used this metal plate? The Scrapping Cottage - Where CottageCutz are Always Blooming - Search
I found it while cruising Joann's 40% off, but they had no information, so I went to the originator. Doesn't say what kind of metal it is, and I haven't received answer to my email yet. TIA
Old 05-14-2015, 09:55 PM   #68
Cardstock Collector

Gimme a week. I just ordered this one yesterday.
Old 05-18-2015, 04:19 AM   #69
Rubber Obsessor

Thanks for all of your suggestions. Here is what I've learned. I only use the Precision Base Plate when using Spellbinders intricate dies or some other intricate die (i.e. Tattered Angels, etc). For basic shapes, I'll not use the Precision Plate but the regular sandwiches. I have since changed my sandwich somewhat, using the magnetic base, then the precision plate (metal side up), cardstock, die (faced DOWN) and a clear plastic plate and run it through... absolutely NO ISSUES!!! Dies are not warping anymore. I don't store my PBP (Precision Base Plate) in my Big Shot anymore, but I do keep the magnetic plate and the clear plate on it for the week. I'm not worried about dulling my dies, since its been referenced here taht they cut by pressure, not sharpness, which makes absolute sense, since you can't (or I havent) cut myself handling my dies. LOL.

Just my thoughts. All in all... I love the PBP and intend to continue using it!
ekip2, Bahb, JoBear2 and 1 others like this post.
Old 05-18-2015, 12:51 PM   #70
Proud Fan Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peezie View Post
Thanks for all of your suggestions. Here is what I've learned. I only use the Precision Base Plate when using Spellbinders intricate dies or some other intricate die (i.e. Tattered Angels, etc). For basic shapes, I'll not use the Precision Plate but the regular sandwiches. I have since changed my sandwich somewhat, using the magnetic base, then the precision plate (metal side up), cardstock, die (faced DOWN) and a clear plastic plate and run it through... absolutely NO ISSUES!!! Dies are not warping anymore. I don't store my PBP (Precision Base Plate) in my Big Shot anymore, but I do keep the magnetic plate and the clear plate on it for the week. I'm not worried about dulling my dies, since its been referenced here taht they cut by pressure, not sharpness, which makes absolute sense, since you can't (or I havent) cut myself handling my dies. LOL.

Okay, this is interesting, because the person at my local store told me it is the spellbinders dies that are warping when the precision plate is used. ( I have bought this, but have not tried it out yet) (And I am kind of afraid to try it, but even if a die warps she said it doesn't matter?)

Shirl

Shirl
Old 05-18-2015, 04:03 PM   #71
Rubber Obsessor

I wish I could FIND one to buy. All of my regular website say, "OUT OF STOCK!"
I was really hoping to get the Sizzix Inksheets Starter Kit and they are sold out of those too!
They just came out for 2015 CHA and no one has them!
I really, really want the inksheets but I need the transfer pad in order to use them, so I thought I'd buy the starter kit! HA!
While waiting for someone to get the precision plate in, I'll keep using my Elizabeth Craft Designs Metal shim which cuts out the intricate thinlits as well as the shimmer sheets.
Old 06-28-2015, 11:24 PM   #72
Inking Addict

Anyone got any idea why it is out of stock everywhere in the world!?

I hope this means they are ironing out the kinks.
Saphyre333 likes this post.
Old 06-29-2015, 07:10 AM   #73
Rubber Obsessor

Default I feel your pain, but there is hope!

I feel your frustration!!
I finally bought mine here: https://www.ucutathome.com/store/pro...Plate/id/19499

I am having the same trouble finding the Sizzix InkSheets Starter kit. I would really love to find AT LEAST the Transfer Pad in the starter kit as I have found the InkSheets on Amazon (not Prime, but I'll take it at this point) by Halloween.
I saw these demonstrated on SMS's website (but that website says it can take up to 30 days to get your order. No thanks).

I hope you can find the precision plate because I love mine AND when I use it on top of my magnetic base plate, the magnet still works!!! Awesome!!!!

I heard through the grapevine that Spellbinders now has a magnetic plate for the Calibur! I have both machines, BigKick and Grand Calibur, and I have the mag base for the Kick. But probably in the future, I will get the mag plate for the Calibur as well. I can't hep myself!!

Good Luck!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erum View Post
Anyone got any idea why it is out of stock everywhere in the world!?

I hope this means they are ironing out the kinks.
Old 06-29-2015, 08:00 PM   #74
Crimping Master

I've got it on my wish list, although I don't have any dies I really NEED it for...since I'm still building my stash because I just started in Feburary. But, if I can ever afford to get this, I figured I would in case I ever ran across a die that I needed it with...and because I could use it in place of a plate if I wanted. Only down side, is I use my magnetic base plate a lot...and like how it holds my dies, so...may not WANT to use the precision plate all that much. Love the idea that it will help with some dies...and that it takes the place of a plate, and doesn't warp as much as the plastic plates do! (Usually anyway. )
Old 06-30-2015, 07:51 PM   #75
Proud Fan Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peezie View Post

I'm with you. I've been using the exact same sandwich. I bought mine when first released mainly because it requires only one clear plate, this is a big money saver. I've not had one warped die, happy you're getting the same results.
A Cardmaking Journey in Progress
Bahb likes this post.
Old 07-23-2015, 10:25 PM   #76
Inking Addict

I just downloaded the new Stampin' Up! Holiday Catalog 2015 and they have the Precision Base Plate offered now from Stampin' Up! Catalog will go active for Customers on September 1st, 2015 and for Demonstrators Preorder August 4th. So if you are having problems finding one....here is one solution....

Thanks for all the input here. I have one ordered and it is shipping now. Can't wait to get it and try it out. I found the thread very interesting and informative. THANKS!!!!
Old 07-25-2015, 08:31 PM   #77
Proud Fan Club Member

Any of you who already have the PBP and have great difficulty rolling it through: Have you tried it with the original platform with first tab opened? Maybe adding some cardstock shims if it's too loose?
I'm thinking of getting the PBP, but I, too, think the Magnetic Platform is thicker than original platform...just a bit tighter to crank.
Old 07-26-2015, 07:52 PM   #78
Stazon Splitcoast

Just found out about this item, through the SU holiday mini catty! Will have to try it as have a few dies (doily style and some edgelits) that don't cut well. . . Looking forward to September 1!! Mahalo for all of you who shared their experiences.
Old 08-01-2015, 12:07 PM   #79
Matboard Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sibs View Post
Hi,
I am Sibs from Hamburg...

...I thought I'd go big and got myself the Big Shot Plus, but the cutting is very ... exasperating.
Hi Sibs.

May I ask what you are finding exasperating about the Big Shot Plus? I have had one for a few months and I am finding it very efficient.

Lesley
Old 08-01-2015, 12:58 PM   #80
Forum Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesleybd View Post
Hi Sibs.

May I ask what you are finding exasperating about the Big Shot Plus? I have had one for a few months and I am finding it very efficient.

Lesley
Sibs may have a different problem but it took me a couple of weeks to make friends with my BSP. We're great friends now as there a lot of benefits, but:

I found that the adapter plates are either too thick or too thin for their use so I needed to figure out when to add shims. I found the best is to use my old adapter, mag base, and metal shim as I don't have the need to cut anything of the full width of the BSP. I think as I use the machine, it won't be so tight and the adapters will work as designed.

I found that it is really hard to start the roll-through (KWIM?) if all the plates are even at the front edge. I need to hang the top plate a little over the front edge to ease it into the rollers.

If you are using a lot of pressure the entire sandwich will shoot out the end of the machine. Not a huge issue but it startles me every time.

Also, I knew the BSP was significantly bigger but I didn't consider how much more room you need in front of the machine to allow you to feed the sandwich into the machine - I had to do a little re-org to make it fit.

The more I use it, the more I like it.